Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ICO

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 24, 2001

The story of a forsaken boy with horns and a mysterious girl who must work together to escape from the confines of an enormous castle.

I Finally Played Ico

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Last week I turned to the Giant Bomb Community to help me to decide which of 15 or so unplayed games on my Steam and Playstation Plus accounts I should tackle first. Based on the results of that poll and the feedback in the thread I decided to play Ico, a game I've wanted to play for a long time but had never gotten around to playing. Rather than simply blog about my thoughts on the game, I figured I'd put forth the extra effort and do a video. I've been looking for an excuse to do more youtube videos, and I like the idea of looking at old games for the first time from a modern perspective, so I will likely do more of these as I make my way through my backlog.

I welcome any feedback on that video (either in my thoughts on the game or the production itself). I know I'll never get huge on youtube without some gimmick or comedic element, but I'd rather simply provide my sincere opinions and observations, even if it's not as exciting as some other content.

Since my other option is to stare at this unopened copy of The Last of Us Remastered and await the return of my PS4 from the repair center, I am likely going to try and get to another game from that list immediately. I am leaning towards heading straight into Shadow of The Colossus, but if anyone has any other recommendations feel free to leave them here or in the poll thread. I should also mention I forgot to include the classic Fallout games in that other thread because they're in some random folder on my PC and I always forget I have them (got them free from GOG), so I could also play those as well.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Corevi

Just go straight into SotC, it will make it easier to see the connective tissue between the two games.

Also you unlock translated Yorda dialogue in NG+

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I was kinda the same way when i first played ICO some time after Shadow of the Colossus came out, and i think playing Shadow first may have made it a little worse because they are so similar and unique in there style, but Shadow does everything ICO did much better. I enjoyed the look and sound of the game very much, but didn't have any big connection with the characters like i did in Shadow. But for some reason as time has gone by it has grown on me a lot more. My memories of the game seem to have changed and feel like i enjoyed the characters much more then i did, which makes me want to replay it, but at the same time not because i feel like it would ruin what my memories have become of it.

But if Shadow is the next game or your list then you will probably enjoy it much more then this. It has that same style and feel that ICO had, but improves on it in every way. And as CorruptedEvil mentioned there are implied connections to the worlds of ICO and Shadow, but since both of these games are very minimalist in there stories it leaves a lot open to the players interpretations.

And the video itself was very good, other then maybe taking a little to long to show the buggy AI on the ladder with no commentary maybe. But that is more of a nitpicky kinda thing, but figure i would mention it so you can look out for it in the future.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

I think the AI is more impressive than you realize. She only goes back up the ladder when you move closer to it. She interprets your movement as heading back up the ladder, which isn't what you wanted but it illustrates the disconnect of communication between Ico and Yorda. That's an easy interpretation to make between a language barrier, what isn't is when you see a person yelling something and waving their hand wildly (which is what Icos call animation is). Shadow of the Colossus does some similar stuff with ai where you don't have complete control over your horse. You can get to point a to point b easily, but when controlling the horse it feels like you are controlling something that is alive with it's own input.

Fun fact: the game has coop where when you plug in an extra controller player 2 controls yorda when she is with ico (you might have to beat the game first though, which is stupid).

Also, I thought the video was pretty good, except for the "end" screen (I don't think those are necessary).

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I bought the HD version of this and Shadow of the Colossus for PS3, but have never touched it. I really should get around to it, soon...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Ico thread. Huh.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@ntm: If there's a third thread within the next 3 days both half life 3 and the last guardian will release. As the prophecy foretold.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it's a match three game? Gabe, you evil genius! I too was groaning at the ladder part. I never had this problem as I want Yorda to join me at a part of the map, rather than trying to coax her like you're out walking your dog.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great video. Reminded just how far ahead it was ahead of its time. You should definitely play Shadow of the Colossus next.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.