ICO And Shadow Of The Colossus HD Rereleases Hitting Spring 2011

Posted by BradNicholson (1556 posts) -

At SCE's recent TGS 2010 media briefing, Team ICO director Fumito Ueda confirmed that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus would see HD re-releases on the PS3 in North America, Europe, and Japan this Spring 2011.

Across North America and Europe, both games will be bundled together in a collection similar to the God of War and God of War II re-release bundle, a package that was dubbed the God of War Collection.

All versions of the games, for whatever reason, will support 3D. The extent of what is being added to either game for this support, however, is unknown. But ICO owners in North America will definitely notice some new (via Kotaku) in ICO HD: the version of the game being tinkered with for its re-release is the European one, which boasts an additional ending, as well as a local co-op element that allows a second player to control Yorda--with her same physical limitations--in a second playthrough after initial completion. 

== TEASER ==Japanese magazine Famitsu played spoiler earlier this week by carrying this long-awaited announcement in its pages, but the article left out several details that came via Sony's TGS briefing. One little nugget in particular, if the Japanese re-releases will be bundled together, is still unknown.

As you can see, new images of the now-prettier games have been released. A video, which was shown during the press conference, is just available below, too. Get excite! 

Man. ICO looks even more gorgeous, right?   
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (1556 posts) -

At SCE's recent TGS 2010 media briefing, Team ICO director Fumito Ueda confirmed that ICO and Shadow of the Colossus would see HD re-releases on the PS3 in North America, Europe, and Japan this Spring 2011.

Across North America and Europe, both games will be bundled together in a collection similar to the God of War and God of War II re-release bundle, a package that was dubbed the God of War Collection.

All versions of the games, for whatever reason, will support 3D. The extent of what is being added to either game for this support, however, is unknown. But ICO owners in North America will definitely notice some new (via Kotaku) in ICO HD: the version of the game being tinkered with for its re-release is the European one, which boasts an additional ending, as well as a local co-op element that allows a second player to control Yorda--with her same physical limitations--in a second playthrough after initial completion. 

== TEASER ==Japanese magazine Famitsu played spoiler earlier this week by carrying this long-awaited announcement in its pages, but the article left out several details that came via Sony's TGS briefing. One little nugget in particular, if the Japanese re-releases will be bundled together, is still unknown.

As you can see, new images of the now-prettier games have been released. A video, which was shown during the press conference, is just available below, too. Get excite! 

Man. ICO looks even more gorgeous, right?   
#2 Posted by cjcox (116 posts) -

hmmm, hopefully i'l have a PS3 by then

#3 Posted by MRRobo91 (3 posts) -

It's great to see these two games making a return. Hopefully they'll be more successful sales-wise this time.

#4 Posted by Vorbis (2763 posts) -

Reports of smooth 30fps? I'll take it.

#5 Posted by moelarrycurly (731 posts) -

Surprise?

#6 Posted by Detrian (1134 posts) -

I doubt being prettier will make them any less boring.

#7 Posted by Cazamalos (987 posts) -

RT @taswell   sickburn RT @stephentotilo: When Shadow of the Colossus comes out on PS3, will the people who love it so much bother to finish it this time?

#8 Posted by RobertFoster (24 posts) -

I don't get the hype. I've already played these games (and enjoyed them!) -- I don't think I'd want to replay them, even in HD, for fear of ruining the memories...

#9 Posted by Aarny91 (3938 posts) -

Fucking bought.

#10 Posted by kiwi_whisker (137 posts) -

I was too young to appreciate ICO when it first came out  (If it didnt have shooting, I didnt play it) - Ill definitely pick it up this time around.

#11 Posted by Brenderous (1183 posts) -

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

#12 Posted by Foggen (930 posts) -

I may preorder.

#13 Posted by Foggen (930 posts) -
@cazamalos said:
" RT @taswell   sickburn RT @stephentotilo: When Shadow of the Colossus comes out on PS3, will the people who love it so much bother to finish it this time?

"
Totilo kind of needs to eat a dick.
#14 Posted by zoomoo (5 posts) -

Must buy for me!

#15 Posted by Mayu_Zane (674 posts) -

Day one purchase for sure.

#16 Posted by Undeadpool (5176 posts) -

HD Shadow of the Colossus? Wow...WOW.

#17 Posted by Poki3 (555 posts) -
@Detrian said:
" I doubt being prettier will make them any less boring. "
Good thing that they're not boring then.
#18 Posted by Poki3 (555 posts) -
@RobertFoster said:
" I don't get the hype. I've already played these games (and enjoyed them!) -- I don't think I'd want to replay them, even in HD, for fear of ruining the memories... "
I was actually replaying SotC a few months back and it's exactly as I remember it. Your mileage may vary, but I think they hold up just as they did on release.
#19 Posted by GunnBjorn (2905 posts) -

Yeah, I'm totally ready to get a hard-o... I mean, a lengthened lightsabre while holding the girl's hand in ICO in HD!
#20 Posted by armaan8014 (5694 posts) -

Want PC version :(

#21 Posted by ManlyBeast (1217 posts) -

Never played it back then.

#22 Posted by Bakumatsu (395 posts) -
@cjcox said:
" hmmm, hopefully i'l have a PS3 by then "
This.
#23 Posted by tumes (229 posts) -
@Foggen:  Ha, usually I'm pretty ok with Kotaku (Compared to the total bitchness of Gizmodo), but that is so incredibly btichily catty. It took me, like, a sitting and a half to finish that game cause it was so freaking good!
#24 Posted by Mofudos (8 posts) -
@RobertFoster said:
" I don't get the hype. I've already played these games (and enjoyed them!) -- I don't think I'd want to replay them, even in HD, for fear of ruining the memories... "
How would replaying them ruin it?  It's not like they're old games that don't hold up.  These games are still totally relevant.
#25 Posted by atomicvoodoo (17 posts) -

I usually hate companies trying to sell me stuff over and over, but I really dig this HD re-release trend that's been happening. Probably because PS2 games are nigh unplayable on an HD set.

#26 Posted by agentboolen (1917 posts) -

Its nice for new gamers to get there hands on these again but I don't think it would be worth me paying for to get a better looking Shadow of the Colossus.  I'd be more interested in buying a sequel though.

#27 Posted by FunExplosions (5535 posts) -

Balls. Exploded.

#28 Posted by TFU (6 posts) -

Sarcastic witisisms aside this will be great
#29 Posted by Detrian (1134 posts) -

Sotc was already clunky and boring back when it came out. I really can't imagine how shit it'll be after so many years.

Kind of like what happened with Mafia 2 except you ride a horse instead of a car for hours.

#30 Edited by RockAction (375 posts) -

Its strange how much a PS2 game makes me want to get a PS3 

#31 Posted by Toxin066 (3375 posts) -

Missed SoC the first time around. After hearing endless praise for it, I'll definitely check it out.

#32 Posted by wonderhare (354 posts) -

ffffffffffff-  this is gonna be awesome!! :D

#33 Posted by jhevans51 (45 posts) -

This pleases me. Now let's hope the date doesn't slip.

#34 Posted by Zatoichi_Sanjuro (953 posts) -

SoTC "runs at a locked 30 frames per second, in HD with 3D." Gaming nirvana.

I played through ICO again recently, (halfway through replaying SoTC) and this looks so much clearer. You can actually see Yorda's face without it being smeared in vaseline.
#35 Posted by FunExplosions (5535 posts) -
@Detrian said:
" I doubt being prettier will make them any less boring. "
@cazamalos said:
" RT @taswell   sickburn RT @stephentotilo: When Shadow of the Colossus comes out on PS3, will the people who love it so much bother to finish it this time?

"
Er, what? I literally beat Shadow of the Colossus about 10-15 times. When you beat it, you have the option to play through a time-attack colossus battle, unlocking some awesome trinket you can use in the real game - or you can beat the game on the new harder difficulty, which then unlocks harder time-attack colossus battles, and even cooler unlockables. 

That's not why I played it so many times, though. The world is massive. The environment is beautiful. There's all kinds of nooks and crannies you can find, some of them leading into their own little canyons or plateaus, some leading to fruit (give you more max health) or shiny-tailed lizards (give you more max stamina), and some just lead to magnificent extra scenery. 

@Poki3 said:
" @RobertFoster said:
I was actually replaying SotC a few months back and it's exactly as I remember it. Your mileage may vary, but I think they hold up just as they did on release. "
Actually... I gotta disagree with you on that one. As much as I loved SoTC, going back to it is impossible for me. The smooth framerate I have come to expect over the years has jaded me beyond recovery. The game was so choppy. Ico, though, actually holds up far better than SoTC. Of course, the problem with that is that no one can find a copy of the game. Which is why I'm so eagerly awaiting these upgrades.
#36 Posted by nick_verissimo (1437 posts) -

Awesome. The week that I finally track down a copy of Ico after years and years of looking this gets announced.  Jeez....Oh well, I'm definitely going to pick this up.  Both games are definitely worth a re-purchase.

#37 Posted by JMartNWA (208 posts) -

Could not be more excited about this news... own the originals, but will definitely pick these up Day One.

#38 Posted by durden77 (321 posts) -

Day one. Shadow of Colossus is one of the greatest and most unique games I've ever played. I'd probably pay a full 60 just to have it in HD. And I never got to play ICO.

#39 Posted by patrick (578 posts) -
@Detrian said:
" Sotc was already clunky and boring back when it came out. I really can't imagine how shit it'll be after so many years.  Kind of like what happened with Mafia 2 except you ride a horse instead of a car for hours. "
Yeah, Mafia 2 back in '05 was pretty monotonous.
#40 Posted by MrPiZzA (101 posts) -

Im so happy I could cry. 

#41 Posted by Simulacrum (459 posts) -

Now I'll actually be able to play ICO.

#42 Posted by Kremly (6 posts) -

I wish SotC was on Xbox/Kinect so I could climb my house and jump off the roof

#43 Posted by Cube (4382 posts) -

I never played Ico heavily, so I'll give this a look. 

#44 Posted by Andrela (596 posts) -

A giant wave of HD SotC wallpapers incoming

#45 Posted by Detrian (1134 posts) -
@patrick said:
" @Detrian said:
" Sotc was already clunky and boring back when it came out. I really can't imagine how shit it'll be after so many years.  Kind of like what happened with Mafia 2 except you ride a horse instead of a car for hours. "
Yeah, Mafia 2 back in '05 was pretty monotonous. "
Nice job not being able to make the simplest of reasoning, mate.
#46 Posted by raphaa00 (146 posts) -

Shadow Of The Colossus seems to be the best game I've never played.

#47 Posted by thunderbear (10 posts) -
" All versions of the games, for whatever reason, will support 3D."

Some people are excited about 3D, I guess you're not but maybe it's not hard to imagine that a lot of other people are excited to have a lot of content to play in 3D when 3D TVs and Projectors prices fall.

Great news!
#48 Edited by Vigorousjammer (2838 posts) -

ah man, I remember SotC having tons of framerate dropping... this sounds exciting that we'll finally see a solid 30fps from it, and in a higher resolution.

ICO was pretty amazing as well... so this package seems rather awesome, I hope it comes in two separate cases, since the box art is rather nice for both games, and I'd hate to see them squish them both onto one case.

#49 Posted by Kraznor (1608 posts) -

Tremendously excited about this news. More than pretty much any other announced Sony release, actually.

#50 Posted by obcdexter (697 posts) -

Best news in gaming history. Shadow was and is one of the greatest games of all time. I didn't like ICO that much, but this new version I'll definitely give another shot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.