Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

id Software

Company »

id Software is one of the highest regarded developers in the industry as being the creators of the First-Person Shooters. Popular series includes Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake and Rage.

What's the state of I.d ?

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Beaudacious

Is Id dead as a games studio? Does it all just come down to nostalgia at this point? The only thing being put out by Id is Rage, and Doom 4. I don't think anyone really cares about those games in today's market. In terms of a game egine developer. Prey 2 is being developed on Id Tech 4. Id Tech 5 being closed to Zenimax also seems weird, while they have no announced projects using this tech. Maybe its too early, and in a year we'll see 80% of Bethesda Softworks games running Id Tech 5. Although this doesn't seem like a risk since I've seen no other developer express any interest in Id Tech 5. The technical difficulties of Rage make me think Id Tech is a nightmare to use while being its creator, and a suicidal endeavor as anyone else.

So does Id simply turn into the technical creation and support division of Zenimax?

On a side note every game put out by Zenimax other then Bethesda the developer has been mediocre or trash. I have no idea how Bethesda Softworks or Zenimax are still in business. WET, Rogue Warrior, Brink, Rage, Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Rage being the only game in the category of mediocre, and everything else being utter trash. In those terms i guess Id fits into the Zenimax portfolio of " How the fuck is this company turning a profit? ".

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@Beaudacious: From what little research I've just done, it seems like Zenimax Media does fundraising, and a major contributor of theirs is Providence Private Equity Partners. They contributed $300 million to Zenimax/Bethesda in 2007, and as recently as October 2010, contributed another $150 million. I imagine these fundraiser type events as well as the profits from massive successes like Skyrim give them more than enough leeway in publishing/developing their games.

Now, as for Id Software, I honestly don't know what their future will be. Now that they're owned by Zenimax/Bethesda, it's hard to gauge how things will and have changed at Id. It can't be the most negative transition, but I do wonder if there will be more pressure to develop games instead of sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Games like Rage should not have taken seven years to develop. I am positive, however, that we will not see another development cycle like that from Id, unless Doom 4 is it and they'll transition into tech development like you said.

Edit to add: Did a little more digging on Zenimax. Turns out they own a couple handheld/mobile developers that regularly print money for them in Latin America and Asia. That could explain why Bethesda can publish shit-shows like Hunted and not be worse for wear.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

I wouldn't be surprised if they become regulated to the guys that make the engines for the companies games and offer support as a satellite studio.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm extremely interested in Doom 4.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Ravenlight

Lowercase I, buddy.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptBedlam

@ajamafalous said:

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ninjakiller

@CptBedlam said:

@ajamafalous said:

Ahh yes...more monster closets please.

/endsnark

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By astonish

I'm cautiously looking forward to Doom4. I think they need new game designers in house more than anything. The fact that the metroid prime designer got the boot off Doom4 saddens me.

id tech 5 had its moments where the art really shined in a way it couldn't in other engines, but the game world seems so static and seems like it might be a huge pain to develop for. I hope they kick a good game out soon, otherwise I don't know how much longer they'll be around for.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By farmer

@ninjakiller said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ajamafalous said:

/endsnark

Monster closets aren't bad by themselves, they just suck when you dump them in an otherwise modern (at the time) shooter. If Doom 4 ended up being in traditional Doom style, with monster closets, keycards and 90 mile an hour speeds, I would be extremely happy.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#10  Edited By Kidavenger

Judging by their history, they go many years between game releases, I'm not sure why you would expect to know what they are going to put out beyond their next game?

What is Naughty Dog putting out after Last of Us? It's a mystery, better go make a thread about it.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

@Farmer said:

@ninjakiller said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ajamafalous said:

/endsnark

Monster closets aren't bad by themselves, they just suck when you dump them in an otherwise modern (at the time) shooter. If Doom 4 ended up being in traditional Doom style, with monster closets, keycards and 90 mile and hour speeds, I would be extremely happy.

Yep.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rowr

@Beaudacious said:

I have no idea how Bethesda Softworks or Zenimax are still in business. WET, Rogue Warrior, Brink, Rage, Hunted: The Demon's Forge. Rage being the only game in the category of mediocre, and everything else being utter trash. In those terms i guess Id fits into the Zenimax portfolio of " How the fuck is this company turning a profit? ".

Ummmm. Elder scrolls...........

ID as they were known are dead, they didn't get their shit together soon enough.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quake Live and id Tech license fees are probably bringing in some revenue.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

RAGE was a better game than most people gave it credit for, they just didn't market it right. Doom 4 very much interests me if they go for a more throwback route instead of the Doom 3 route.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ajamafalous
    @CptBedlam said:

@Farmer said:

@ninjakiller said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ajamafalous said:

/endsnark

Monster closets aren't bad by themselves, they just suck when you dump them in an otherwise modern (at the time) shooter. If Doom 4 ended up being in traditional Doom style, with monster closets, keycards and 90 mile and hour speeds, I would be extremely happy.

Yep.

I also agree. 

I mean, fuck, I played through Quake 1 again a couple months ago. Game is still fun as shit.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CptBedlam

@ajamafalous said:

@CptBedlam said:

@Farmer said:

@ninjakiller said:

@CptBedlam said:

@ajamafalous said:

/endsnark

Yep.

I also agree. I mean, fuck, I played through Quake 1 again a couple months ago. Game is still fun as shit.

I played through Doom 1 on XBLA a few months ago and had more fun with it than with most modern shooters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.