Building the Ikaruga

Posted by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -

Greetings Giantbomb!
I'm sure a few of you heard of the Ikaruga model kit that was released earlier this year. Since I consider it to be one of my absolute favourite games and spent plenty of time playing to earn that elusive 1CC, there was no way I could let this pass me by. Despite my lack of experience in building model kits, I finished building the kit up yesterday, so I thought I'd share some pictures.  The quality of some of the images may not be so great, but I hope you enjoy seeing them.

The Body:

This part was probably the most complex to build overall in terms of small pieces and awkward placement. 
There's nothing quite like being thrown into the deep end!
These were the easiest to apply.
 It's a start.

The Weapons:

Things were starting to look a bit easier, that is until I had to break out the paint and the waterslide decals.
Dot Eater?
Pew Pew Pew!

The Wings:

Something tells me that these will probably be terrible in an aerodynamic sense, but when they look like this, I don't think anyone would mind really.
I would also like to reiterate, I really dislike waterslide decals!
 I can fly!
 Seriously small parts.

The Final Product:

Putting the entire model together took a fair bit of patience and effort, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It certainly looks like the Ikaruga ship at least and I  managed to not make any huge mistakes.
Alas, the Ikaruga departs.

I do have plenty more pictures which I'll attach in a gallery a little further down. It will have more images of the separate parts being put together, as well as more shots of the complete model. Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment on this awesome model and/or my terrible writing and formatting of this blog.

#1 Edited by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -

Greetings Giantbomb!
I'm sure a few of you heard of the Ikaruga model kit that was released earlier this year. Since I consider it to be one of my absolute favourite games and spent plenty of time playing to earn that elusive 1CC, there was no way I could let this pass me by. Despite my lack of experience in building model kits, I finished building the kit up yesterday, so I thought I'd share some pictures.  The quality of some of the images may not be so great, but I hope you enjoy seeing them.

The Body:

This part was probably the most complex to build overall in terms of small pieces and awkward placement. 
There's nothing quite like being thrown into the deep end!
These were the easiest to apply.
 It's a start.

The Weapons:

Things were starting to look a bit easier, that is until I had to break out the paint and the waterslide decals.
Dot Eater?
Pew Pew Pew!

The Wings:

Something tells me that these will probably be terrible in an aerodynamic sense, but when they look like this, I don't think anyone would mind really.
I would also like to reiterate, I really dislike waterslide decals!
 I can fly!
 Seriously small parts.

The Final Product:

Putting the entire model together took a fair bit of patience and effort, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It certainly looks like the Ikaruga ship at least and I  managed to not make any huge mistakes.
Alas, the Ikaruga departs.

I do have plenty more pictures which I'll attach in a gallery a little further down. It will have more images of the separate parts being put together, as well as more shots of the complete model. Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment on this awesome model and/or my terrible writing and formatting of this blog.

#2 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Fuck ya man that looks awesome.

#3 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

Great work on the build. I used to love building models back in the day. 

Had to click the name link to find out what it was exactly. Looks like a top down shooter craft to me. Good job.  
 How much does a model kit like that go for nowadays?

#4 Posted by Icemael (6307 posts) -

That is one sweet model.

#5 Posted by Devoid (429 posts) -

Dude, that looks awesome. How much did the model kit cost?

#6 Posted by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -
@TotalEklypse: This particular model cost 3,460 yen, so roughly $45 or £28. The total cost including postage came to roughly £40, but I did pay a little extra on postage for recorded delivery and airmail rather than waiting for it by SAL shipping.
#7 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@sameoldstuff: O that is not bad at all. I used to love building battleships and fighter planes myself. Also did some Gundam models.. Those were pretty sweet.
#8 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Duder that looks so cool.

#9 Posted by rmanthorp (3852 posts) -

That looks so fucking cool!

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6151 posts) -

BEAUTIFUL.

#11 Posted by Laksa (240 posts) -

are you getting the black version?

#12 Posted by buhssuht (437 posts) -

i cant i do that!?!?

#13 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@sameoldstuff: Haha, that's so awesome. I've never tried building a model, but if I can get my hands on one of those kits, I'd love to try. 

Again, that's awesome.
#14 Posted by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -
@Laksa: I've already got one on pre-order. Late October can't get here soon enough!

@iDarktread: The site I bought mine from still has some of the white model kits in stock, although I'm not sure if posting the link here is against site rules. I can PM you it if you're interested?
#15 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@sameoldstuff: You won't get in any trouble for posting a link to it. You aren't shamelessly plugging it, nor promoting your own site. 

Plus I'd like to order one, myself :)
#16 Posted by Rapid (1339 posts) -

Wow looks amazing, and so intricate 

#17 Posted by Vitor (2809 posts) -

@sameoldstuff: How much does something like that set you back? I'd be tempted if the price is right... Then again, in Japan right now so tracking down collectible models isn't exactly hard.

#18 Posted by sameoldstuff (94 posts) -
@GetEveryone: If it's okay then here's the link. Ikaruga Model Kit (White Version)

@Vitor: I believe that they were set to retail for 4800 yen, however that may well have changed since it was released a couple of months ago.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.