Fun, but buggy as hell

#1 Edited by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

So ilomilo is really fun, but holy cow is it buggy. Apparently the final version isn't out until January 5, but still. From little things (pretty much every instance of "its" being misspelled as "it's") to completely freezing my Xbox every couple of levels, it's often just downright impossible to actually play. I'm usually lucky to make it more than ten minutes without a total freeze.

I've read elsewhere online of people having the same issues, so I'm glad it's not just me. Still, I guess it says something about the game that I keep trying (sometimes in vain) to play it anyhow. Definitely hoping they fix what needs fixing soon, or at least when it's finally out on the Marketplace. I just kinda feel like, you know, I've paid for the thing already, regardless of how available it is. I'd love to be able to play it more.

#2 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@drhans: 
Yep I agree. Totally love the game, but waiting to play it fully until it's patched and ready. And my avatar awards still doesn't work, but for some reason they work for one of my friends.
#3 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

This is unfortunate, i was looking at the quicklook and got really excited.
#4 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -

Raskulls is the same way, and kefflings has a number of similar crash problems. 

These were all published by Microsoft right? I wonder if they're being pushed out the door.

#5 Posted by Sjosz (485 posts) -

I don't quite understand this, as I've been playing Ilomilo's full version since the 'viral release' of it, and it has not crashed my 360 a single time in the 10 or so hours I put into it. 'Its' versus 'It's' is something I don't really leverage against a developer, more the choice of translation service.

#6 Edited by uber_skedy (33 posts) -

I also grabbed the full version not long after the viral release and haven't found the bugs made it unplayable. It did freeze on me a few times but in each case it was the result of a pretty specific action - mostly trying to pick a cube up from somewhere they hadn't anticipated, or solve a puzzle in such a way it would force game assets to be left floating unconnected to the main body of the level. I hope they'll patch these things soon now that it's released properly, if they haven't already, but I really don't think they are game breaking events. Just find another solution to the puzzle.

#7 Posted by BetaMax (131 posts) -
@drhans Mine just locked up. SOB
#8 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

Fifth freeze in an hour now. Not fun. Good thing the game is though...

#9 Posted by FireBurger (1479 posts) -
@uber_skedy said:
" I also grabbed the full version not long after the viral release and haven't found the bugs made it unplayable. It did freeze on me a few times but in each case it was the result of a pretty specific action - mostly trying to pick a cube up from somewhere they hadn't anticipated, or solve a puzzle in such a way it would force game assets to be left floating unconnected to the main body of the level. I hope they'll patch these things soon now that it's released properly, if they haven't already, but I really don't think they are game breaking events. Just find another solution to the puzzle. "
Having to find alternative solutions just so that you don't freeze the game usually constitutes unplayable and broken.
#10 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -
@FireBurger: While it is very broken, I know I haven't stopped playing it. I just get regular breaks from gaming I guess :P

...But the thing is, even though it might sometimes look like it, I know that it has crashed almost more times for me in situations that couldn't be considered unanticipated or the like. They really need to patch this. Was going to nag at my countrymen at the developer's site, but it is quite down...
#11 Edited by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@Cerogravian said:

" Fifth freeze in an hour now. Not fun. Good thing the game is though... "

Yeah, this is the most unfortunate thing about the game. It was okay, if a little annoying, but still okay when it would happen in one of the beginning stages. But the further I progressed into the game, it only got more time consuming (which is fine!) because of my tendency to collect everything. And even if I didn't collect everything, it's still a rather long haul to get the critters Ilo and Milo together. 

I've since then forced myself to wait for a patch. I just can't risk it freezing on a level with 20+ minutes of meticulous gameplay put into it.
#12 Edited by Oullie (59 posts) -

I got the game around when it came out and I played it for long periods of time with no problems. I did some co-op with a friend and it was fine. Today I played it and it was like crash-a-polooza. It mostly happened to me when I put down a block. Kind of a bummer. 

I read one article just now and they said that they're making a patch for the crash. They also said that if you have the "helper bubbles" turned off that it wont crash. They're usually turned off by default but I turned them on out of curiosity.

#13 Edited by heavyplay (298 posts) -

Well, I just logged in and got prompted to patch the game. No crashing yet... 

Edit: Played for an hour and a half and no crash. Longest I've ever played this without it freezing, so I guess it's fixed?

#14 Posted by SaucySala (344 posts) -

I would like to say, I haven't really had any bugs except I trapped myself one time due to my own stupidity and had to restart.

#15 Posted by Cerogravian (344 posts) -

Title update was posted two days ago, apparently removing "features" such as crashing, freezing etc.
Here's the announcement.

Looking forward to picking up the ilomiloball!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.