Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ilomilo

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 08, 2010

ilomilo is an abstract 3D puzzle platformer by Southend Interactive for the Windows Phone 7, Xbox Live Arcade and Windows 8.

ilomilo

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Edited By mubblegum

I have been eagerly awaiting this game and following the developers for months since I first heard about it.  So to finally see it available to play, early, I was bouncing all over the place. In a half awake state I entered the code as quickly as is possible (which isn't very quick on the Xbox pad), and bam it downloaded in a flash. 
    Having played a good couple of hours already I was firstly struck by the beautiful graphics and visuals of the game, it is succinct and has a very happy atmosphere. It looks childish, but the puzzles become quite challenging so it is anything but childish. The characters themselves are very simple and appealing (especially to a female), and it takes you through some delightful backstory of them. Along the way there are little perks to collect and things to unlock as extra content, such as music and images that pertain to them. 

The main objective is to get ilo to reach milo, you can switch between both characters very quickly with X and use B to see where the other character is in relation to yours to plan a route - which views in a very aesthetically pleasing depth of field. You can also use Y to get a better overview of the entire puzzle area. As you are walking around with the left stick you can change the camera smoothly with the right stick. A nice nifty feature - when you walk behind a block or object of some kind, there is a peep hole (which can be turned off in options... though not sure why, unless you wish to add more challenge and mystery?) and it allows you to view through to see the litle character.

There are contraptions and objects that you can use along the way, with A, and gradually as you delve further into the story the difficulty ramps up slightly to challenge you. It is a very simple concept of reaching Point A, from Point B - but using your brain for the puzzles and using each other to achieve that goal. All the while there is a constant awareness of your partner, whether playing single player or co-op. Helping each other is key. 

Co-op is, of course, very fun in this game. It is sort of perfectly made for it. The mechanics of the game are ideal. It is made enjoyable by working together, even at frustrating moments when you're both scratching your head over a puzzle. It's always more fun being confused with another person rather than on your own!

There are achievements along the way and they are handed out quite evenly throuought playing. It's got a pleasant injection of charm and humor to boot. 

The patchwork style visuals and effects on objects are very well done and it is a polished looking game, with lovely music on each level. 

It is a game I can imagine replaying on frustrated days or just for a cheer up. Plus I really want to unlock the ilo and milo avatar pets!

mubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By mubblegum

I have been eagerly awaiting this game and following the developers for months since I first heard about it.  So to finally see it available to play, early, I was bouncing all over the place. In a half awake state I entered the code as quickly as is possible (which isn't very quick on the Xbox pad), and bam it downloaded in a flash. 
    Having played a good couple of hours already I was firstly struck by the beautiful graphics and visuals of the game, it is succinct and has a very happy atmosphere. It looks childish, but the puzzles become quite challenging so it is anything but childish. The characters themselves are very simple and appealing (especially to a female), and it takes you through some delightful backstory of them. Along the way there are little perks to collect and things to unlock as extra content, such as music and images that pertain to them. 

The main objective is to get ilo to reach milo, you can switch between both characters very quickly with X and use B to see where the other character is in relation to yours to plan a route - which views in a very aesthetically pleasing depth of field. You can also use Y to get a better overview of the entire puzzle area. As you are walking around with the left stick you can change the camera smoothly with the right stick. A nice nifty feature - when you walk behind a block or object of some kind, there is a peep hole (which can be turned off in options... though not sure why, unless you wish to add more challenge and mystery?) and it allows you to view through to see the litle character.

There are contraptions and objects that you can use along the way, with A, and gradually as you delve further into the story the difficulty ramps up slightly to challenge you. It is a very simple concept of reaching Point A, from Point B - but using your brain for the puzzles and using each other to achieve that goal. All the while there is a constant awareness of your partner, whether playing single player or co-op. Helping each other is key. 

Co-op is, of course, very fun in this game. It is sort of perfectly made for it. The mechanics of the game are ideal. It is made enjoyable by working together, even at frustrating moments when you're both scratching your head over a puzzle. It's always more fun being confused with another person rather than on your own!

There are achievements along the way and they are handed out quite evenly throuought playing. It's got a pleasant injection of charm and humor to boot. 

The patchwork style visuals and effects on objects are very well done and it is a polished looking game, with lovely music on each level. 

It is a game I can imagine replaying on frustrated days or just for a cheer up. Plus I really want to unlock the ilo and milo avatar pets!

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By buft

I played it with my son and he took a shine too it but we decided to wait for the reach map pack an ilomilo is on the back burner to payday, seems like a fun game.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It sounds like a very charming game.

diggler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By diggler

Game is gorgeous. One of the prettiest of the year, oddly enough. Co-op is a lot of fun :)

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By benjaebe
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By audiosnag

I picked it up after checking out the quick look. I'd like to consider myself a MANS man..but that game is freakin ADORABLE. From the plushie art style to the music its just all around a game that puts a big dumb grin on my face. I sat and played in the menu screen for like five minutes making the notes when you move your selection match the music. The fact that there's an achievement tied to it is pretty awesome.
    So far I love it. And i don't care who knows it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.