Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 01, 1989

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure was developed by LucasArts and is a recreation of the third Indiana Jones film in adventure game form.

Indiana Jones Adventure Games

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

Edited By mzuckerm

I bought the LucasArts Classic Adventure Games pack from Steam a while ago, and I finally got around to beating the last of them (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).  I found that it has not aged nearly as well as the other games in the pack (Loom, the Dig, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis).  In particular, you can easily compare it to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and it's not a real pretty comparison.  Graphics are worse, puzzles are more inane (a common problem in adventure games), the game is more linear, and the interface is notably more clunky.  Plus, it still contains some 20 year old copy protection that requires you to go into the game manual in order to beat the game.  Not a huge deal, but something that inhibits immersion in the game.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mzuckerm

I bought the LucasArts Classic Adventure Games pack from Steam a while ago, and I finally got around to beating the last of them (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).  I found that it has not aged nearly as well as the other games in the pack (Loom, the Dig, and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis).  In particular, you can easily compare it to Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and it's not a real pretty comparison.  Graphics are worse, puzzles are more inane (a common problem in adventure games), the game is more linear, and the interface is notably more clunky.  Plus, it still contains some 20 year old copy protection that requires you to go into the game manual in order to beat the game.  Not a huge deal, but something that inhibits immersion in the game.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I remember enjoying Fate of Atlantis a lot, maybe because it managed to get the tone right. Never even knew about Last Crusade until much later.

You tried Machinarium at all?  I liked its approach to some of its puzzles.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I've played Fate of Atlantis and I really really liked it. 
    It had a good indy tone and didn't look too bad.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

Fate of atlantis was cool, I liked how it let you play in a more actiony way in parts. Like you could either Talk to the bouncer  or fight him using the number keys. I remember getting mad stuck in that game though ina  big model room of atlantis and only having a comb or something.  I eventually gave up on it.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MeierTheRed

Played Fate of Atlantis on Amiga 500, loved it.

mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mzuckerm
    @ahoodedfigure:  Fate of Atlantis really was well put together.  Good story, decent puzzles (sometimes with multiple solutions, which is pretty impressive for its time), and variations on the plot based on player input.  I haven't tried Machinarium, when did that come out?
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Fate of Atlantis was brilliant. 

I bought that pack too and I haven't really played much of the first Indy game. I also haven't gotten very far in Maniac Mansion either; I would say that the early SCUMM engine games just weren't that user friendly.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @mzuckerm: Last year, actually. Not classic gaming by any means, but I felt a bit more connected to this style rather than the stuff that I've seen lately. Same people that made Samorost.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mzuckerm
    @BeachThunder:  It's a shame about the first Maniac Mansion game.  I remember playing it when it came out and enjoying it, but I don't think I could go back.  I did go back to the sequel though (Day of the Tentacle) and that was still pretty entertaining probably 10 years after its release.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mzuckerm
    @ahoodedfigure: I might have to try Machinarium.  Weird I hadn't heard of it, because I bought Samorost 2 and enjoyed it.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @mzuckerm:  In Day of the Tentacle I couldn't figure out the Ben Franklin puzzle, which not only resulted in repeated electrocutions, but even caused some sort of hidden message because I did it so much! :)

If you're unsure about Machinarium, check out the beautiful demo. But I'm pretty sure if you enjoyed Samarost you'll already be into what they've made. It's a bit uneven, and I think some of the puzzles could have been a bit more original, but it's quite an experience.
    mzuckerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mzuckerm
    @ahoodedfigure:  You should feel free to consult a guide in some of those old adventure games.  Day of the Tentacle was a great game, but only in part because of the puzzles (the story and jokes were both great).  I try not to do that for newer games, but I think getting through the story is more important than guaranteeing I never get help.

I'll probably give Machinarium a shot after I get through Amnesia, which is really sucking up a lot of my gaming time right now.
    ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ahoodedfigure
    @mzuckerm:  I figured it out eventually, and got one of the biggest laughs I ever had in gaming because I kept screwing up, so I didn't consider it a problem :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.