Evil people are pale?

#1 Posted by Hellstrom (199 posts) -

Is anyone else annoyed that games keep doing this? Fable did it as well only evil people weren't just pale, they also didn't shower. Its completely offensive and stereotypical to evil people. I'm all for making someone look evil depending on allignment, but dirty & ugly? There are plenty attractive psychopaths out there! Also why is being good = a good tan and blue clothes there are plenty good people that are pale, ugly, and emo. 
 
 
Yes its a game, i am aware, but its hilarious.

#2 Posted by Marcsman (3256 posts) -

Hitler, Casey Anthony , Dracula  are all pale. 
Pale people must be evil. 
#3 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

Well duh, it's obvious. Evil people live in dungeons and never see the sun, hence the pale. Heroes prance around on the backs of their trusty steed in the sun, hence the tan. Everyone knows this, come on now...Just yesterday I was frollicking with some unicorns in a field of poppies working on my hero tan.

#4 Posted by StealthRaptor (530 posts) -
@ttocs: What about evil farmers?
#5 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I think it started with Star Wars.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3256 posts) -
@StealthRaptor said:
@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

I think they are called Amish. They're pale too.
#7 Edited by ttocs (775 posts) -

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

And the Amish comment...that's just wrong. I don't think you can get much nicer than the Amish. And they are really tan, just not under their beards.

#8 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

I'm pale. Must be evil. Sorry everyone.

#9 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@Red said:

I think it started with Star Wars.

It goes back further than that. Being pale, even in the olden days of Hollywood, was evil. Look at the Nosferatu films. It's black and white but you can obviously see he is pale.

#10 Posted by Brendan (8002 posts) -

It's a subtle dig at gamers, who are often pale from their lack of time spent in the sunlight.

#11 Posted by Marcsman (3256 posts) -
@ttocs said:

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

And the Amish comment...that's just wrong. I don't think you can get much nicer than the Amish. And they are really tan, just not under their beards.


Nice ha!!! 
Their kids supply half the drugs around here. Go take a look at their puppy mills and see how they treat their "livestock". 
Nice people do not treat puppies like that. 
And they are not friendly for the most part. 
They hate most "outlanders"
#12 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

I'm pale and evil, so I see no issue with this.

#13 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

@Red said:

I think it started with Star Wars.
#14 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@ttocs said:

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

And the Amish comment...that's just wrong. I don't think you can get much nicer than the Amish. And they are really tan, just not under their beards.

Nice ha!!! Their kids supply half the drugs around here. Go take a look at their puppy mills and see how they treat their "livestock". Nice people do not treat puppies like that. And they are not friendly for the most part. They hate most "outlanders"

Then they aren't true Amish. True Amish, the religious ones who fully support their religion, are very tolerant because they accept their way of life. I have never heard of Amish doing drugs. Can't speak to the puppy mills though. If that's true then they should burn. I'm a huge dog lover and puppy mills are the worst.

#15 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@Brendan said:

It's a subtle dig at gamers, who are often pale from their lack of time spent in the sunlight.

Lol, no it's not. And that stereotype is so old. It's been this way in movies too. Pale = evil, just like black hair or dark features often = evil in the movies. Not always, but check out some villains. Either dark features or bald. Bald guys are rarely the good ones.

#16 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

Also, just so you're caught up:

- All heroes are white

- All children are in single parent families where one parent has either died or hooked up with someone younger and hipper and moved out of the country

- All fat people are evil

- Whenever 2 characters at the beginning hate each other, events will transpire during the story that will cause them to fall in love or at worst become best friends that will almost always hang out on the beach and drink mai tais.

There are more, but you get the idea.

#17 Posted by StealthRaptor (530 posts) -

@ttocs said:

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. 

 No they don't. Haven't you heard about farmer's tan?
 

Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

Are you kidding? Have you forgotten about Farmer McGregor?! Poor, poor Peter Rabbit.

#18 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

White people are evil.

White devils in disguise. 

#19 Posted by springtoast (35 posts) -

Did you think someone being "heartless" was just a metaphor? No heart -> no circulating blood -> pale skin.

#20 Posted by Seedofpower (3947 posts) -
Pale always means evil.
#21 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

I'm pale as fuck and I'm a total cunt.

#22 Posted by Marcsman (3256 posts) -
@ttocs said:

@Marcsman said:

@ttocs said:

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

And the Amish comment...that's just wrong. I don't think you can get much nicer than the Amish. And they are really tan, just not under their beards.

Nice ha!!! Their kids supply half the drugs around here. Go take a look at their puppy mills and see how they treat their "livestock". Nice people do not treat puppies like that. And they are not friendly for the most part. They hate most "outlanders"

Then they aren't true Amish. True Amish, the religious ones who fully support their religion, are very tolerant because they accept their way of life. I have never heard of Amish doing drugs. Can't speak to the puppy mills though. If that's true then they should burn. I'm a huge dog lover and puppy mills are the worst.


It's true man. I live near Lancaster Pa. I have been in animal welfare for over 20 years now. ( I manage a animal shelter) 95% of all pet stores buy their animals from the Amish. They keep 100s and 100s of them in small cramped barns in deplorable conditions. To the Amish they are just "livestock" if they cannot sell them they either shoot them or drown them. Their kids have been caught in recent years dealing meth. No lie I was shocked too. My main gripe with them is their breeding of dogs. 
But on the brighter side, nobody makes a pie better than the Amish.
#23 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

pale people are inherently evil 

#24 Posted by Brendan (8002 posts) -

@ttocs said:

@Brendan said:

It's a subtle dig at gamers, who are often pale from their lack of time spent in the sunlight.

Lol, no it's not. And that stereotype is so old. It's been this way in movies too. Pale = evil, just like black hair or dark features often = evil in the movies. Not always, but check out some villains. Either dark features or bald. Bald guys are rarely the good ones.

Maybe my internet sarcasm radar is reading you wrong, but my comment was clearly a joke.

#25 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2501 posts) -

@ttocs said:

@Brendan said:

It's a subtle dig at gamers, who are often pale from their lack of time spent in the sunlight.

Lol, no it's not. And that stereotype is so old. It's been this way in movies too. Pale = evil, just like black hair or dark features often = evil in the movies. Not always, but check out some villains. Either dark features or bald. Bald guys are rarely the good ones.

Hey, I'm bald, and I hardly ever capture people who are trying to bring a stop to my carefully planned schemes and send them to their impending doom.

Whenever I do, usually they escape because I failed to consider one small but blatantly obvious flaw in my reasoning that would allow them to. Even then, I usually just tell them I'll get them next time and go back to my place and start working on a new plan that I feel has a better chance of succeeding.

#26 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

It's really not that hilarious.

#27 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

It's really not that hilarious.

That's because you're pale...and we're on to you!

#28 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

@ttocs said:

@Marcsman said:

@ttocs said:

@StealthRaptor said:

@ttocs: What about evil farmers?

They wear those full body suits to keep the harmful rays of the sun away. Why don't you see them too often? Because farmers are all nice...

And the Amish comment...that's just wrong. I don't think you can get much nicer than the Amish. And they are really tan, just not under their beards.

Nice ha!!! Their kids supply half the drugs around here. Go take a look at their puppy mills and see how they treat their "livestock". Nice people do not treat puppies like that. And they are not friendly for the most part. They hate most "outlanders"

Then they aren't true Amish. True Amish, the religious ones who fully support their religion, are very tolerant because they accept their way of life. I have never heard of Amish doing drugs. Can't speak to the puppy mills though. If that's true then they should burn. I'm a huge dog lover and puppy mills are the worst.

It's true man. I live near Lancaster Pa. I have been in animal welfare for over 20 years now. ( I manage a animal shelter) 95% of all pet stores buy their animals from the Amish. They keep 100s and 100s of them in small cramped barns in deplorable conditions. To the Amish they are just "livestock" if they cannot sell them they either shoot them or drown them. Their kids have been caught in recent years dealing meth. No lie I was shocked too. My main gripe with them is their breeding of dogs. But on the brighter side, nobody makes a pie better than the Amish.

Wow, that's crazy. I support the HSUS annually with their puppy mill campaigns so that's something that is near and dear to me. I had no idea the Amish were big into it. Thanks for info. I live in Maryland so we see them when we cross the border into PA and I never suspected they would do that with animals. The buyers are equally to blame. If they stopped buying these animals from mills they would move back to crops. What a shame.

#29 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

@ttocs said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

It's really not that hilarious.

That's because you're pale...and we're on to you!

I'm Scandinavian! I can't help it! (runs away crying)

#30 Posted by Loki9876 (89 posts) -

i'm pale MUHAHAHAHA.

#31 Posted by ttocs (775 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@ttocs said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

It's really not that hilarious.

That's because you're pale...and we're on to you!

I'm Scandinavian! I can't help it! (runs away crying)

There, there, it's ok. Just accept your evil nature and all will be well in the world.

#32 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

This is by no means just a thing in recent video game history, it's a trope that's been with fiction for a long time. It's easy for people to be more endeared to healthy-looking individuals and less endeared to pale or more ugly individuals. I didn't mind it in Fable as that world was kind of cartoonish to begin with but when fiction which wishes to be taken seriously tries to repeatedly apply this kind of ridiculous logic I find it tiresome. Still, people respond to it so it's not going to be something that changes on the whole any time soon.

Moderator
#33 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

I got thrown off a hay ride once by an Amish person.

Nice, my ass.

#34 Posted by nasie (126 posts) -

They gotta be something...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.