Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The electric superhuman, Cole MacGrath, returns in the sequel to 2009's open world superhero third-person action game from Sucker Punch, featuring new graphics, a new city, and new powers.

Thoughts on the Good Ending (MAJOR SPOILERS)

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By matpaget

So, at the end, Cole dies. But as Zeke and his body are going out to sea, his ship is struck by lightning, possibly meaning Cole is alive. 

I'm guessing that Cole absorbed the Blast Cores making him powerful enough to withstand the Ray Field Inhibitor killing him, instead just putting him completely out for a while (hey, it's a comic book video game!).

Also, if you listen to the last dead drop, Wolfe apologizes to Kuo for not warning her about what was going to happen, but not Cole. Sort of like he knew Cole would be fine. 

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By SMTDante89

The lightning bolt also looked to be in the shape of a question mark, if I recall, basically saying he is (or will be) alive.

Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
    TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TheDeadComedian

Wow i just beat it and i never noticed the lightning

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Damian
    He's ALIVE! 
    He's ALIVE! 
    SpanxMcFranks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpanxMcFranks

I didn't really notice the lighting. I doubt he is alive. What would you do in the 3rd game if you continued the good story? Since every conduit in the world was killed even if their powers had not developed.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap

I was totally loving that ending until the lightening hit. Having the balls to kill of your main character is something I've wanted to see done properly for a while, and then they go and make it so he obviously survives lol.

TJ311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By TJ311

To me the ending was kind of under whelming. it didnt win me over like the first one did. I agree with @Soap where i would like to see the main character die, but in the sequel and on open world game, i didnt do it for me. I like the game though, still wanna try the bad ending.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RE_Player1
    Correct me if I am wrong but they have never said that inFamous was a trilogy. Seeing how Cole dies I think they should just end it here. I thought the game was good but the first ones story is much better. Bertrand was a terrible villain in my opinion.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By donchipotle

I honestly hope that if there is an inFAMOUS 3 that it continues after the events of the evil ending. It would suck if they continued after the end of the good ending and he somehow comes back to life. What would he do? Help rebuild the east coast? At least with the evil ending there is a clear conflict.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I hope the lighting was just a cool effect.  That part where you talk about how Wolfe apologizes to Kuo and not Cole is odd.  He has no attachment to Cole and through the dead drops you can tell that Kuo and Wolfe respected each other.  I think you're reading to deep into it if you think it foreshadows Cole's survival.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By donchipotle

It would also ruin the whole "silent hero, but patron saint of New Marais" if he ended up living.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Kyle

Anyone who thinks the lightning means he's still alive is crazy. It was just supposed to be symbolic.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strainedeyes
    @MatPaget
    So, at the end, Cole dies. But as Zeke and his body are going out to sea, his ship is struck by lightning, possibly meaning Cole is alive. 

I'm guessing that Cole absorbed the Blast Cores making him powerful enough to withstand the Ray Field Inhibitor killing him, instead just putting him completely out for a while (hey, it's a comic book video game!).

Also, if you listen to the last dead drop, Wolfe apologizes to Kuo for not warning her about what was going to happen, but not Cole. Sort of like he knew Cole would be fine. 

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
    Wolfe hadn't met Cole by the time he recorded the last dead drop. Why would he apologize to him?
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By matpaget
    @Geo7877: Yeah, I made a mistake listening to it a second time.
    Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Choffy

@Soap said:

I was totally loving that ending until the lightening hit. Having the balls to kill of your main character is something I've wanted to see done properly for a while, and then they go and make it so he obviously survives lol.

I don't think so. I think it was simply a gesture instead of foreshadowing inFamous 3. Don't get me wrong, inFamous 2 is a hell of a game, and my favorite PS3 exclusive and I would love nothing more than to have inFamous 3 in my paws in 2013, but I think this was it for Cole McGrath.

EDIT: You know what, maybe you're right. I watched the video and clearly there is a '?' in the lightening at the end:

No Caption Provided

[Link]

okoctothorpe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By okoctothorpe

The inFamous universe already accepts alternate timelines (i.e.: Kessler is Cole). If they choose to make a third, they could pull some time shenanigans. But I was so satisfied with how the game ended, I'd be cool with the end of the franchise.

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

It's a video game inspired by comic books. 

If Jean Grey can come back to life a zillion times.....if freaking Bucky Barnes can come back to life........yeah, I'm confident we haven't seen the last of "The Electric Man".  Not when there's money to be made. : d

I'm sure they'll figure out some new kind of problem in the world that only Cole can solve.

arcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arcn

I was really surprised that they actually let you fight the beast in this game and that cole ends up dying in the end, especially when you consider how many games end up pulling that bullshit where they say "well this game has a number 2 on it so lets see how long we can stretch this story line since we could only come up with this one bad guy". 

I hope they finish things with Cole and maybe make another game starring the younger brother he mentions somewhere in the game, although they would have to figure out a way to do it considering how this ending kills off all the conduits, hell they could bring Cole back as a villain somehow and have his younger brother take him on.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By handlas

i took it that he is alive as well.  Kill Cole, kill all the conduits....eh...Infamous is effectively dead. Tho, if they go with this ending then Cole is the only one with powers which seems like a damper. 

Thought the ending was good as well. Tho was a little lame how Zeke was so eager to allow you to die; I was liking him in this game up until that point.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Loose

I thought the good ending was great, but now I'm kind of torn between whether or not I want a sequel with Cole. I do quite like the character and wouldn't say no to playing a game starring him again, but it seemed like the ended off this game on a really strong note.

One thing that I found kind of strange was that they didn't tie up the loose ends with Alden (who Cole suggested may still be alive after falling off a bridge in the first game), Sasha (who was still very much alive in the first game and guided you through the evil side missions) and Moya. Granted I didn't even think of these characters much until after I had beaten the game, but I think it would have been nice if they had tied up these loose ends. 

Should there be another game following this ending I suppose that Alden and Sasha would have been killed by the RFI but Moya could still be around and maybe they could focus on the governments involvement that was alluded to in both games as well as any other business that the First Sons may be up to. Regardless, I really enjoyed this game and I think that this franchise could continue to grow if Sucker Punch chooses to continue with it.

Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Warihay

@Soap said:

Yea I completely agree. I thought it was awesome that they would kill of their main character in a pretty big franchise. But seeing that really disjointedness me as it is clearly an out for them to make some stupid reason for him to come back to life and have to learn all his powers again that might for instance take about 10 hours to do in a whole new game.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

The cane is a reference to Sly Cooper 4.

Joeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Joeku

@Loose: They probably all kicked the bucket right at the beginning of Infamous 2.

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

@KaosAngel said:

Sucker punch aren't making Sly Cooper 4, so that doesn't make much sense.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang
    @Soap said:

This, I really enjoyed inFamous 2 but really what else could a third game do aside from the same, I hope that lightning bolt becomes one of those gaming legend things like "There has to be an inFamous 3 right! Cause of the Bolt!" But a game never emerges untill like the PS4.
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @Aphex said:

@KaosAngel said:

I guess that's why they didn't put "Now Playing: Sly 4!" on some of the theaters in the city then? Oh, wait, they did. 
    thecablekid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By thecablekid

I really thought that was a really strong ending, and I am hoping that Sucker Punch sticks to it and this is the definitive end of the series. Don't get me wrong I love inFamous and inFamous 2 but I really wanna see what is next from Sucker Punch, that and this is a perfect way to tie up the series and complete it without having to go back and define cannon endings (something that is so annoying in modern games) for the purpose of a sequel.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Enigma777

Why did you betray me Kuo?! WHY?!?! I gave you everything! But, no, that wasn't enough for you! You had to be greedy and try to survive instead of being a beatiful snow angel sacrifice.

T_T

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vertrucio

Yeah, but at the end, she came back to the good side. I chalk it up to a moment of temporary sanity, yes sanity since who really wants to die? 

Have you guys seen the evil ending? Not just the final comic cutscene, but how it all plays out? It's pretty damn brilliant in its presentation.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#30  Edited By MightyDuck

I definitely did not see that ending coming with him dying.

Makes me wish I had a second save to go and see what the "evil" ending was.  It totally made me wish I had sided with Nix on more occasions.  

Definitely my most enjoyable game of 2011 so far.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MightyDuck

Just was thinking about this though...

Kessler knew who John was in the original Infamous correct?  He also knew that the beast would come.  Couldn't he have just "taken out" John then?  This would stop the whole Beast timeline...granted we wouldn't have a game then.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Deusoma
    @GetWhatYagive said:
    Just was thinking about this though...  Kessler knew who John was in the original Infamous correct?  He also knew that the beast would come.  Couldn't he have just "taken out" John then?  This would stop the whole Beast timeline...granted we wouldn't have a game then.
    Given that the Beast only existed because Kessler invented the Ray Sphere, I think it's safe to say he didn't know the Beast's origins before going back in time.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By Deusoma
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    @Aphex said:

@KaosAngel said:

I guess that's why they didn't put "Now Playing: Sly 4!" on some of the theaters in the city then? Oh, wait, they did. 
    No, he was right. Sucker Punch aren't making Sly Cooper 4, Sanzaru Games are.
    Avatar image for mancombseepgood
    MancombSeepgood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MancombSeepgood
    @Deusoma said:
    @MancombSeepgood said:
    @Aphex said:

@KaosAngel said:

No, he was right. Sucker Punch aren't making Sly Cooper 4, Sanzaru Games are.
    Oh I realise that, what I mean is he cites that there would be no reason for the game to reference Sly 4 because they aren't developing it, but they already had, so KaosAngel's original assertion is perfectly valid.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MightyDuck
    @Deusoma: You make a good point. 

I was waiting for them to bring John back at some point during the game.  I was impressed with how they wrapped everything together.
    Zellrain11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zellrain11

i havent bought the game yet i seen both endings the evil one was stupid to me cole aint like that but the good ending made me sad because he is my fav superhero hes more normal than others he has the biggest heart you could imagine and he doesnt run around in tights but i dont like how he died i think when the lightning struck he came back to life and then they returned to new marais or what ever it is called and then Festival Of Blood happend so thats what i think i hope they make a third one where he is the good guy again but they could make a twist like werewolves or zombies maybe even a greek god that would be kinda kool but those are just some ideas but ya it makes me sad and i keep wondering if hes really dead like zeke sais he has more humanity than anybody but yea

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.