Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous 2

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

The electric superhuman, Cole MacGrath, returns in the sequel to 2009's open world superhero third-person action game from Sucker Punch, featuring new graphics, a new city, and new powers.

Why does Zeke get so much hate from gamers everywhere?

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fontainefellow

I really don't understand this. I thought he was great in the first game and much more interesting than the guy who got the powers. I haven't played the second game yet, but hearing people say things like "they made Zeke better" makes me wonder if they took all the personality out of him and made him into just another boring support character.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By coakroach

HEY COLE LETS GET SOME CASHOLA AMIGO! OH IM GONNA BETRAY YOU FOR NO REASON!

Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
    @coakroach said:
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RE_Player1

He was a dick in the first game.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Taklulas
    @coakroach said:
    Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Akrid

I'm with you on this one OP. Never had a problem with him, and felt he was "toned down" for the sequel for no good reason.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By chilibean_3

@coakroach said:

Seriously. I was hoping to get the chance to kill the shithead myself in the first game.

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By fontainefellow
    @chilibean_3 said:

@coakroach said:

Seriously. I was hoping to get the chance to kill the shithead myself in the first game.

I thought that that was something that Zeke just wouldn't do. He doesn't ditch Cole in the beginning, cos he's afraid that Cole's gonna stick an electrobolt up his ass, and even if he had the same kind of powers as Cole had, Cole knew how to use them well at that point, and he would just be no match for him.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By TheHBK

Cuz he a bitch.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By neoepoch

They hate anything that reminds them of themselves. A bit out of shape, maybe good with tools, and liable to backstab their friends at a moment's notice.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Aetos
    @coakroach said:
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @fontainefellow said:
    @chilibean_3 said:

@coakroach said:

I thought that that was something that Zeke just wouldn't do. He doesn't ditch Cole in the beginning, cos he's afraid that Cole's gonna stick an electrobolt up his ass, and even if he had the same kind of powers as Cole had, Cole knew how to use them well at that point, and he would just be no match for him.
    .....either way he still did it.....dude activated the ray sphere for no reason....

I have no clue why he's around Cole. He's just a lame Elvis reference because when game writers don't really know what they're doing they have to throw in a fat sidekick to annoy the player. Same deal with Alan Wake.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @neoepoch said:

They hate anything that reminds them of themselves. A bit out of shape, maybe good with tools, and liable to backstab their friends at a moment's notice.

Yet Rico who's the complete opposite gets even more hate....
    Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Loose
    @neoepoch said:

Haha, nice. 

In all seriousness though, the whole betrayal in the first game coupled with his personality probably pissed off a lot of people. I think Sucker Punch did a good job of making him more likable in the second game though.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ShaneDev

I didn't mind him the first game, haven't played the second. I could see why people wouldn't like him but I thought he was okay.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By probablytuna

I don't really have a problem with him. I can't remember how he was in inFamous but he's fine in the sequel.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShaneDev said:
    I didn't mind him the first game, haven't played the second. I could see why people wouldn't like him but I thought he was okay.
    wow i wasnt about to say that...  this pretty much sums it all up
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By YoungFrey

Nothing about Zeke is likable.  All he does is sponge off Cole and ask favors . 

And then he attempts to murder thousands of people to gain powers himself.

Seriously?  That isn't enough to make him a bad guy?How can you not hate his loser ass?

punpun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By punpun
    I can see why a lot of people disliked Zeke in the first game. 
    In the second game he's actually really useful, and there's a lot less spazzing out about powers and "sticking it to the man", which is a good thing. Though he did suggest that I thunder drop off of the really tall building, resulting in the deaths of about a dozen civilians and a street performer. That was kind of a dick move.
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By KarlPilkington

Cos he's annoying basically.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bribo

I was going to start a new thread entitled "I Like Zeke Now - How the Fuck Did That Happen?" but this seems like as good a place as any to air my thoughts.

In the first Infamous (I refuse to capitalise in the middle of a word) Zeke was there to provide some basic tutorials and some comic relief - and he failed spectacularly in the latter role. Also, see the above spoilers. How could you not despise him?

Second time around, they have tried to reinvent him as a more useful tech-savvy guy  and as someone shrewd enough to infiltrate an organisation and provide you with intel. On both counts, I call bullshit - it would be equally out of character had he sprouted wings and rained fine cognac on the people below. Yet he somehow managed to worm his way into my affections, long before  

But I was soon filled with a creeping sense of dread for my old pal Zeke. I cannot fathom why this happened. If anything, his sudden usefulness and eagerness to make up for previous mistakes only made me more suspicous of him. 

Is it down to better writing? I doubt that, I2 wasn't a significant improvement over I1. Or is it purely due to familiarity? Throughout both I1 and I2, Zeke (for good or ill) has always been there, but I can't think of a more likely candidate to prove the old adage "familiarity breeds contempt".

I like Zeke, but I don't know why. I could probably say that about most of the people I know.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated Zeke in the first game and thought he started out kinda annoying in the second, but he sure grew on me and by the time Cole apologized for being a dick to him I'd legit grown to like him. One of my fave part in Infamous 2 was Cole and Zeke finally at peace as friends and equals again, enjoying some beers in front of the TV.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By AuthenticM

@fontainefellow said:

I really don't understand this. I thought he was great in the first game and much more interesting than the guy who got the powers. I haven't played the second game yet, but hearing people say things like "they made Zeke better" makes me wonder if they took all the personality out of him and made him into just another boring support character.

You did not play the first InFamous. No way.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rahf

I keep wondering if people are annoyed with Zeke because he behaves in a specific way through the games, or because they get fed up with how the character is written. If it is the first one, I'd say the writers have done what they set out to do. Look to any character in a movie that illicited a strong emotional response from the audience because of how he or she behaves. They hate the character, yet are still in suspended disbelief.  

Do you hate Zeke because he betrays you? Fricking well done, writers!! 

Thoughts?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rahf: Nah, in Infamous 1 I just thought he was annoying and couldn't understand what he and Cole had in common to even have a friendship. When he betrayed me in the first game I was all "Well fuck you Zeke, I never liked you anyway".

The part in Infamous 2 when he says something to the effect of "I don't just call you 'brother' for show" after the apology had more resonance than anything in their relationship up til then.

He went from being a badly written, badly acted annoying hanger on to somebody I understood had been Cole's friend for years before the first game happened over the course of the middle/last half of the game.

fontainefellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fontainefellow
    @AuthenticM: I know the dude's name if that's what you mean. And as for that "betrayal" at the top of the super hobo's super tower was just retarded writing, and out of character.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Ghostiet

The same reason people hate Rico - he's obnoxious, not funny and he fucks up two times in such ways it makes you slap your own face. He's better in the sequel, or so I heard, but he's lacking any redeemable qualities in the first one. At least I heard he gets some flack for what he did, unlike Rico.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Rahf said:

I keep wondering if people are annoyed with Zeke because he behaves in a specific way through the games, or because they get fed up with how the character is written. If it is the first one, I'd say the writers have done what they set out to do. Look to any character in a movie that illicited a strong emotional response from the audience because of how he or she behaves. They hate the character, yet are still in suspended disbelief. Do you hate Zeke because he betrays you? Fricking well done, writers!! Thoughts?

No, I hated him because of his personality. His betrayal just made me want to kill him. As much as I love inFamous, I'd never call it a well written game.

But the second game fleshed out Zeke a lot, he was still a bit of a douche, but you could see why the two were friends and the fact he tried to help out a lot and actually took on a lot of responsibility helped turn him into someone much more likeable. He was just a much better character in the second game.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By s-a-n-JR

didn’t mind him in the first game…that said, his accent did get on my nerves at times and the betrayal did make me like him much less.

However in the second game I thought he was the most relatable character in the game, which probably isn't hard considering everyone else is either super-powered or a monster. I’m sure most of us have made a few bad choices in our lives which we feel guilty about (probably not to the extent Zeke went to…you know, choosing to kill thousands so he could get powers…), but I understand and appreciate Zeke’s desire to move past his mistakes and just do things right.

They also toned down his cowboy accent, which is a plus.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hellstrom

I dislike Zeke because he's a shitty friend. I honestly don't understand how Cole even hangs with such a loser. Not only did he betray you in the first game, but in the second game he calls you "brother", but is so quick to save himself at your and the rest of the powered people expense. Not to mention he didn't even show any bit of care that Cole was going to die. The whole time he was like CHARGE THE RFI, DO IT, DO IT, KILL YOURSELF COLE.

Zeke proved he was a selfish shit in the first game, and he did it again in the second. Thats why i chose the bad ending everytime. Zeke does not deserve to live at all.

Both Nix & Zeke were pointless characters. Nix was so annoying with her talk about her babies. Kuo was the only normal character, and the only one i actually cared about living.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's, quite literally, the worst character in gaming.

Hell all the characters from that wretched series are fucking terrible.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's, quite literally, the worst character in gaming.

Hell all the characters from that wretched series are fucking terrible.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't like him in the first game, but then found him way more endearing in the second. Maybe it was my enjoyment of his and Cole's friendship in the second game, I dunno.

The scene of him and Cole drinking and watching TV for an entire day is one of my favorite in games. Bad ending legitimately bummed me the fuck out.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MegaLombax

I lol'ed pretty hard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.