Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

An interesting change

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Who else finds it interesting/strange that the setting for this is a real place as opposed to the fictional cities from 1 and 2? I know that Empire City and New Marais are just clones of real cities, New York and New Orleans respectively, but they were still fictional cities with fictional histories and geography. I just wondered what sparked the idea to move to a new and real city.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I didn't realize it was Seattle! I thought that tower looked funny..

Neat.

rapsney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After they stated that the footage was gameplay with interesting camera angles I am way more interested in this game now. I wasnt fond of the previous two games but I didnt hate them so I am intrigued to see more of this game

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By pr1mus

I'ma go and sit on the Space Needle and be all moody and shit like in Dark Angel.

I loved that show... the first season anyway.

Come to think of it, InFamous and Dark Angel aren't that far apart in the kind of world they depict and now it's in the same city. It'll be interesting.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, I didn't know. That's a strange change of pace. It's cool though, maybe seeing some well known areas and locations.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious what this means for the game. I felt like the setting mattered a lot more in the first game in that it seemed more alive and your decisions actually had more of an impact on it. I liked inFamous 2 a lot, but the setting seemed like kind of an afterthought, which in retrospect is a bit disappointing.

Hopefully by grounding the game in a real city, they intend to make the setting more relevant in a way that expands upon the first game, rather than just modelling a bunch of landmarks to climb about and calling it a day.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I find it interesting/strange!

Avatar image for translucentfish
    translucentfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm excited. Mostly because I live in Seattle. Hopefully I'll be able to visit my building. I can say I've never seen Seattle virtually before.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What? Seattle? Screw that noise, I'm gonna start a petition to make this game set in New York

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I didn't really like the first two that much, but this one actually looks pretty good. I wonder if the graphics will end up being as good as in the trailer.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I hate when stories or games do that with fictional cities and then switch to real cities. Pick one narrative style and stick with it.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MC_Hify

I would have expected a fake Seattle as well.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Who knows, maybe it is a fake rendition of Seattle.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rapsney said:

After they stated that the footage was gameplay with interesting camera angles I am way more interested in this game now.

They said that? If so then it was most likely QTEs, since nothing shown even resembled gameplay.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Can't say I'm looking forward to another inFamous...

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hellstrom

@somedelicook said:

What? Seattle? Screw that noise, I'm gonna start a petition to make this game set in New York

Yes, because New York hasn't been done over, & over, & over, & over. Its bad enough every single Marvel character just happens to be from New York because only New Yorkers can have super powers LOL. There's more cities in the world than New York. NY is whored out enough as is, it doesn't need anymore coverage. It has been worn out to the point its now stale & dull. Plus it being in Seattle means there might be a chance for some good scenery & diverse landscape outside of the city. New York outside of the city is flat and boring as hell, nature is a joke in NY. If you can call the landscape outside of the city nature.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

So it's inFamous 3: Chronicle?

As a Seattle resident, I'm curious as to how closely in-game Seattle actually resembles reality. (There better be Starbucks all over the goddamn place or I'm calling bullshit.)

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@somedelicook said:

Yes, because New York hasn't been done over, & over, & over, & over. Its bad enough every single Marvel character just happens to be from New York because only New Yorkers can have super powers LOL. There's more cities in the world than New York. NY is whored out enough as is, it doesn't need anymore coverage. It has been worn out to the point its now stale & dull. Plus it being in Seattle means there might be a chance for some good scenery & diverse landscape outside of the city. New York outside of the city is flat and boring as hell, nature is a joke in NY. If you can call the landscape outside of the city nature.

I think it was a joke because New York was destroyed at the beginning of inFamous 2. Although I agree that New York is a yucky place.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somedelicook said:

Pffft, I dare you to name as many games or movies set in New York as you can. I bet you can't even name one

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It probably something to do with a bigger budget to model the city than was available for IF1 or 2. New Marais was unmistakeably post-Katrina New Orleans, but Sucker Punch took so many liberties with the geography there was no one-to-one comparison.

The idea that the game is in Seattle is one of the most appealing aspects to me. I don't think they specified a time frame but I would love an Infamous game set during the 1999 WTO riots. I hope the game works into something similar since those protests against globalization, anti-police states, and economic inequality are still relevant 14 years after the fact. The chaos in the city at the time if ripe for open world mayhem.

Vertrucio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vertrucio

It may just boil down to memory limitations.

With fictional cities, you can reuse a lot more art assets because it feels natural to do so. The landmarks that are there you can wholly determine how they look, same for the skyline.

Now that they have more memory and processor power, they can try to accurately capture key locations in a real city, and ones that weren't designed to be rendered in a 3D engine, such as giant squares or street layouts with long straight grid streets.

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JNSK

I don't remember Empire City looking like New York, but then again I haven't played Infamous in a long time.

Seattle is an interesting choice, I've heard good things about the city, and I don't recall any other games being set there, which is nice, because way too many games take place in New York (or some version of it) already.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.