Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

Neon powers shown off in inFamous gameplay (CES 2014)

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By awesomeusername

The quality is kind of poop because it's offscreen but who cares. I like the sound the neon powers give off, very pewpewy. The neon dash looks like it'll be a lot of fun too. I can already picture myself running around the city doing just that.

I wonder how they'll balance out the recharging of powers. In inFamous 2, you had to just suck up electricity and you'd be able to throw ice grenades. This game has you absorbing neon, smoke & whatever other powers he gets. So I bet if you run out of neon juice, you'll be limited to using smoke until you refill it. I'm super pumped for this game.

Also, Nate Fox said they made this game from the good ending of inFamous 2 so they'll most likely do the same for this game. Most people tend to do the good ending first so is anyone going to do the bad playthrough first to see if they base a sequel off that? That'd be interesting, especially knowing they would've made inFamous 3 off the bad ending had more people played that ending over the good one.

Another question. What other powers do you think Delsin will absorb? They already said they wanted his powers to be based around things in the environment. Smoke makes sense because chimneys, destroyed cars and neon is off lights. I would say rain(water) because Seattle doesn't look exactly sunny but they said no elemental powers so maybeeee.... I have no clue.

Also, is anyone going to replay the first 2 games? I'm going to because I really love the series (Platinum both games & 100% the Vampire DLC suckuhs!) and I'd really like to replay them to get ready for Second Son.

Also, also! I wonder if they'll implement the power where he flies around the city as smoke just like they did with Cole in the Vampire DLC. He was able to fly around as a flock of bats.

Thoughts?

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Flappy

That bridge at 1:45 or so went nuts.

The Neon powers sound nice and look cool, too. Then again, I'm a sucker for purple (is that purple? I ain't no expert on them there color wheels). I'm also not an expert on the inFamous series either, so I can't say much about how the game will play out.

With that being said, this game will probably be okay. At the very least, it looks pretty and the movement seems legit.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Even if its a shitty off screen video, this game still looks really nice. And the fluidity of the gameplay is really impressive. Cant wait till march (hopefully I can get a hold of a ps4 by then).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

These were some of my favorite PS3 games, and it warms my heart to people hyped up for this one.

The gameplay looks on point, the powers look fun to use, their production values have increased substantially, and the visuals look great.

Looking forward to seeing how some of the bigger battles play out. The first had a couple of big gang vs. gang sequences, while 2 would have a ton of guys with huge monsters running amok. I'm hoping the PS4 lets them go even more crazy.

The only thing I miss is the stylized look of the first two cities. Empire City was this huge, oppressive place. New Marais was a place full of life. I'm worried that going to Seattle may feel a bit bland in comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Two of his powers have him absorbing gases. Maybe the others will be based of some kind of gas too.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like another inFAMOUS game, which is pretty great by me seeing how i loved the first two. I hope to see Zeke and hear of Cole. Also serious question here: Is there a blast shard equivalent?, because i love collecting those little things.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

It's a little disappointing that the neon powers seem to amount to little more than colorful fire/electricity powers.

All the smokey, wispy, video effects on the abilities look real nice though.

Camera needs work.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

It's a little disappointing that the neon powers seem to amount to little more than colorful fire/electricity powers.

My thoughts exactly. I hadn't heard anything about this game after the announcement, so reading the OP talking about neon being one of his main powers made my imagination run wild. It's such a good idea!

Then, watching the video, the dude just had red stuff shooting around. If you told me his power was "cinders" or "sparkles" or "generic magic blasts" I'd be none the wiser. Hopefully his amped up later abilities explore the neon theme to its fullest.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well those neon powers are quite disappointing.. More or less a reskin of the smoke powers.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent said:

@humanity said:

My thoughts exactly. I hadn't heard anything about this game after the announcement, so reading the OP talking about neon being one of his main powers made my imagination run wild. It's such a good idea!

Then, watching the video, the dude just had red stuff shooting around. If you told me his power was "cinders" or "sparkles" or "generic magic blasts" I'd be none the wiser. Hopefully his amped up later abilities explore the neon theme to its fullest.

On the plus side, all those Jubilee fans from the original X-Men can finally have their day.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The camera seems pretty bad, but it also seems like it could be completely fixed by just making foreground camera-blocking objects turn transparent.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Yeah, Neon certainly looks cool stylistically speaking, but it kinda comes across more as a skin for Delsin's smoke powers. But ah well, this game looks great regardless even with the base level powers they've been showing off. Delsin still looks to be a really annoying character, though. Hopefully that's intentional, so as he can then grow and mature as the story goes on. And maybe get a change of clothes while he's at it...

Also, the neon powers are sorta old news by now. They released an edited trailer in November showcasing the Neon powers off. Gots an OK cover of Heart Shaped Box in there, too.

Loading Video...

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still have to play Infamous 2! Second Son is looking really good though.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

the guy playing it is turrible

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: @emoney244: @joshwent: @humanity: I would semi argue that point about the neon powers. Yeah, basic attacks like shooting neon bolts are going to be pretty much reskins of the smoke bolts but what can you really do? This game is pretty much a third person shooter. I mean, it'd be awesome if they got really imaginative with the powers but eh. Anyway, it's the last couple powers that are different. Like the smoke has the dash and the drop shown at the end. Neon powers have the neon run and the super neon move (seems like a reskin of the super smoke move) shown in the trailer Yummylee posted. There will probably be a bunch more powers that are different and not just reskins. Who knows, we're still 2 months away from release and I doubt they'll show any other powers. But yeah, I'm just excited to run up and across buildings all day.

To Humanity's point about Jubilee, I thought the same exact thing. Although his neon powers can hurt people, unlike that walking firecracker.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

game looks glorious.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy said:

That bridge at 1:45 or so went nuts.

The Neon powers sound nice and look cool, too. Then again, I'm a sucker for purple (is that purple? I ain't no expert on them there color wheels). I'm also not an expert on the inFamous series either, so I can't say much about how the game will play out.

With that being said, this game will probably be okay. At the very least, it looks pretty and the movement seems legit.

That's definitely purple, just brighter. Or purple-pink. Whatever that would be. I'm a purple fan to, mainly because I love neon, which is why I love The Wolf Among Us & Hotline Miami.

Even if its a shitty off screen video, this game still looks really nice. And the fluidity of the gameplay is really impressive. Cant wait till march (hopefully I can get a hold of a ps4 by then).

It definitely does. Infamous 2 still plays really damn well so we can expect some great gameplay. This game is why I want a PS4 ASAP. I'm going to try and grab one next week. (I know when it'll be in stock.)

It looks like another inFAMOUS game, which is pretty great by me seeing how i loved the first two. I hope to see Zeke and hear of Cole. Also serious question here: Is there a blast shard equivalent?, because i love collecting those little things.

Zeke is a maybe, who knows. Cole is a definite no unless DUP (govt. guys you're fighting) have his body. There's a pre-order bonus that has a couple missions called Cole's Legacy which bridges the gap between IF2 and this game. You get Cole's jacket when you beat the missions. That's probably the closest we'll get to anything Cole related though, unless what I said above happens.

Thinking about it now, it'd be cool if you met Zeke and he brings you to Cole's body and you're able to absorb his powers. I'd flip out.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The neon powers being reskins of the smoke makes sense to me because of what his power set is. I bet the special moves part of the different powers will be what is different.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red12b said:

the guy playing it is turrible

Yupp, dudes complete ass at it. I was going to point it out but thought people would nag at me.

@maajin said:

Still have to play Infamous 2! Second Son is looking really good though.

Get on it! The story isn't that great but boy is playing the game fun. I plan on replaying both 1 & 2 before this releases.

@csl316 said:

These were some of my favorite PS3 games, and it warms my heart to people hyped up for this one.

The gameplay looks on point, the powers look fun to use, their production values have increased substantially, and the visuals look great.

Looking forward to seeing how some of the bigger battles play out. The first had a couple of big gang vs. gang sequences, while 2 would have a ton of guys with huge monsters running amok. I'm hoping the PS4 lets them go even more crazy.

The only thing I miss is the stylized look of the first two cities. Empire City was this huge, oppressive place. New Marais was a place full of life. I'm worried that going to Seattle may feel a bit bland in comparison.

Same, both games are definitely in my top 10 games on PS3. I remember reading about inFamous when it was first revealed in 2008. I was so excited reading about a superhero game. Game came out and I loved the shit out of it and the ending was awesome. When IF2 was announced at E3, I exploded. Especially since they hinted at ice being powers he'll get. Wasn't much a fan of Cole's redesign, not because they changed him but because he looked nothing like Cole from part 1. Glad they went back and changed him. He was to pretty in that trailer. I'm going to go watch that trailer. Seriously, where did all that hair come from?!

Gameplay looks great. Knowing how good IF2 plays, I can only imagine how much better this game feels (& on a Dualshock 4!). The powers look awesome, I am excited to find out whatever else he absorbs but I hope they don't reveal it, I want to be surprised. I'm glad the game looks fantastic graphically but I'm a bit disappointed that with every game, they strayed away from the comic book feeling of IF1, I really loved that. I mean, I love the more realistic tone but they had their own style and changed to what everyone else is doing. So I'm kind of disappointed but at the same time, I'm happy.

I doubt battles will be as crazy as the first 2. IF had gangs because the city was barricaded so it turned into survival of the fittest. IF2 had monsters because Bertrand's power was to turn himself and other people into them. I just bet we'll be battling only DUP, especially since this game is more serious then the first 2.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#22  Edited By sammo21

Also, not to take away from the post but I think this exact same demo was shown like a month or two ago as I remember everything about this. I don't this this is showing anything new off.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Humanity

@awesomeusername: Jubilee could totally like... really inconvenience you.. for like a few seconds.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By awesomeusername

@sammo21 said:

Also, not to take away from the post but I think this exact same demo was shown like a month or two ago as I remember everything about this. I don't this this is showing anything new off.

You're right, it's the same demo (mission) but what I'm pointing out is that it shows some of the neon powers this time. In the original demo, it just showed Delsin using the same 2 smoke attacks for the entire thing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate to be 'that guy' but my god, the dude playing was bad. To the point where I think that there is probably more differences between the power sets and he just didn't show them. He used the basic shooting attack and melee and nothing else the entire time.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't think I'm ever going to make any progress in this game. I'm probably gonna spend hours just dashing around in a circle making neon trails everywhere.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I hate the character's grin.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By awesomeusername

I hate to be 'that guy' but my god, the dude playing was bad. To the point where I think that there is probably more differences between the power sets and he just didn't show them. He used the basic shooting attack and melee and nothing else the entire time.

@red12b already chose to be 'that guy' which I thank because I was going to point it out but didn't want to be 'that guy'. But yeah, dude sucked ass. He kept trying to destroy the thing on top of the truck and kept getting shot off of it but still kept kept trying. What the hell was he thinking? This is why I can't watch other people play games, especially if they suck like this guy.

I don't think I'm ever going to make any progress in this game. I'm probably gonna spend hours just dashing around in a circle making neon trails everywhere.

That's what I'm saying!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can play as the Neon Icon?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I can now imagine a scene with a big ass rave and glowy sticks where you walk through the crowd and consume stick by stick, turning the entire room dark at the end.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apart from seeing that Infamous looks pretty nice and hearing a pretty great Nirvana based trailer (who would've thought?) I also have come to realize that I'm part of some very small minority that doesn't hate the main character.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By awesomeusername

@humanity said:

Apart from seeing that Infamous looks pretty nice and hearing a pretty great Nirvana based trailer (who would've thought?) I also have come to realize that I'm part of some very small minority that doesn't hate the main character.

Same. I mean, I can see why people don't like him from the trailers but I like him for the same reasons. Sure he's cocky but he's also young and just found out he has super powers. At 24, who wouldn't act like him? I think he'll grow throughout the game so he probably won't be the same the entire time. Also, Troy Baker plays him. Troy to the Baker man.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Humanity

@awesomeusername: I like his cocky attitude and punky design. Too many hunky doods with perfect abs and charming demeanor in games these days - it's pretty sexist if you ask me, where are all the everyday guys with scrawny arms and big noses? I feel very emotionally troubled by the sexist way men are portrayed in gaming to be honest!

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@awesomeusername: I like his cocky attitude and punky design. Too many hunky doods with perfect abs and charming demeanor in games these days - it's pretty sexist if you ask me, where are all the everyday guys with scrawny arms and big noses? I feel very emotionally troubled by the sexist way men are portrayed in gaming to be honest!

Yeah, his attitude is a breath of fresh air. And he's in Seattle, a place known for it's punk rock scene. He totally fits in the world, with what I've seen.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By joshwent

To be honest, I'm not all that interested in infamous in general, but his attitude specifically is what made me take notice. I am bored to death of the character that learns they're special and can do amazing shit, and then proceeds to brood and whine the whole time instead of just having fun. Not to mention that the serious take on that situation almost always clashes with the gameplay. Endlessly pondering your responsibility and, "Why me?!", while you turn around and brutally beat up hundreds of people.

Here, we just have a kid who wants to start some shit. And I can't wait to help him do it.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can play as the Neon Icon?

RiFF RAFF DLC details forthcoming

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks a little too Prototypey, not Infamousey enough!

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By awesomeusername

@humanity said:

Preach brother! Us skinny dudes could totally mess shit up!

You cray cray, I don't see no Prototype in this bruh homie dawg

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@fredchuckdave said:

I don't see any Prototype in this. Prototype was way too self-serious and up it's own ass.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@humanity said:

@fredchuckdave said:

I don't see any Prototype in this. Prototype was way too self-serious and up it's own ass.

I wouldn't say it was up it's own ass, I mean it wasn't Brothers or anything like that.. but it was definitely a lot faster and melee focused than InFamous ever was - and Second Son still looks floaty, and projectile oriented.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I love inFamous so stinking much. Such a great series. Easily my favorite superhero/comic games, without competition.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@awesomeusername said:

@humanity said:

@fredchuckdave said:

I wouldn't say it was up it's own ass, I mean it wasn't Brothers or anything like that.. but it was definitely a lot faster and melee focused than InFamous ever was - and Second Son still looks floaty, and projectile oriented.

I don't know man. I mean, it was wayyyyy to serious for the genre it was in. What made it worse is that it's just an awful story. Man, to bad Prototype didn't sell well or have a good writing team. Activision should just sell off the IP since they'll never make a sequel.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.