Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous: Second Son

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Mar 21, 2014

Set seven years after the events of inFamous 2, Second Son stars a new protagonist, Delsin Rowe, who fights back against government oppression and must face off with his own brother in the process. It takes place in the city of Seattle, Washington, the first real location used in the series.

Share Your impressions for Infamous:Second Son.

• 119 results
    falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Well I pre-ordered the game off of psn, but I still can't download it yet. I hope I can download it before I go to work later on (Even though I don't feel like going). Anyway for the GB gangstas that has second son. Go ahead and share your likes and dislikes about the game so far, and like always I'll post my thoughts once I play it.

Btw...don't give no spoils about the powers or story details.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Should be up on the store any minute now

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@marc: theoretically. 12:09 here now and still says pre purchase. Someone got a hold of it on my friends list and it have me a download button but doesn't work. Hopefully it gets fixed soon....

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine is downloading as we speak. Couple people on my list are playing it due to finding midnight launches at a sotre

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Did you try the PS Store website to start the download? That's where I did it. Never bothered with the store on the PS4 itself as I find the website is always good to go first.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Played the first two hours of it. Gameplay feels so good.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool mine just started. Although my download says 6gb which I don't think is right. Anyone else see that as well?

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: That is the minimum needed to start playing, all PS4 and I think XBONE games will install or download the most needed or early parts of a game and let you start playing.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By falserelic

@sackmanjones said:

Cool mine just started. Although my download says 6gb which I don't think is right. Anyone else see that as well?

I just started downloading mine and its 21 point something gigs.

Edit: It happened to me too.

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

Yea, but it might be an initial download so you can play a limited version of the game while the rest finishes download. The entire game is something like 20gb.

jfunkhouser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got mine early in the mail yesterday. I played a good three hours of it and my impressions are it looks really, really good. The early powers feels good and tight, and Jeffs wording of "a focused open-world game" is exactly it. It's open world, but not too big och small things to do everywhere. My major gripe is climbing walls, but that is mainly a problem if you can't find a vent, and to be honest it's probably just a problem cause I haven't played enough to learn climbable objects and what not. The aiming sensitivity is too low on normal and too high on high. But that's personal preference.

All in all, I'm fucking psyched to continue playing and unlock more powers. And look at the particle effects...

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I love the goofy spraypaint gimmick, it's just such a cool and effective use of the Dual Shock 4's features.

jfunkhouser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Totally forgot about that, I was really surprised at first, but now I'm doing it like a pro. Works really well for what they are trying to do. Really cool.

kid_gloves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got the PSN version with the 6gb initial install, it only takes you through a little over an hour of the game, all the early sections. Now I'm looking at the in game download screen.

It is cool that it lets you start before its all downloaded but I was really getting into it then roadblock.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the game earlier and all I got to say is ''I wish I didn't have to work today''. So far the game is pretty kickass feels like a movie. Its one of the best looking ps4 games I've seen. The cinematics and voice acting is solid with smooth and responsive controls. I like how Delsin gets his first power, and using the power of smoke feels good.

Its also hinted what his next power will be, but I won't spoil (Though its a power I wasn't expecting, it looks badass). Anyway that's all I got to say for now because the game stopped me. It still needed to download which is fine I got a taste of whats to come. When I get off work I'm going to have some alone time with this game. As of now I got to get ready for work soon, and deal with annoying costumers. At the end of the day money come first before enjoyment.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been enjoying it so far, but (mild spoiler I guess) I have no idea how I am supposed to catch the "secret agents" when they start poofing away.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. It's more Infamous. It's fun, but suffers from the same thing I really wasn't fond of in the previous games. Enemy spam and being hit by bullets from all angles at all times. I found that drug/ boat level with Fetch to be pretty horrible, but when you get to use the rooftops to circle around one of those trucks it can be a ton of fun. The increased mobility, especially with the Neon make traveling around and staying on the move during combat way more hectic.

It looks nice, The faces are some of the best in a video game and it has been consistently funny. Delsin and his brother have a great chemistry. The bad guy is great too. Shes like a kind of Nazi headmistress. The facial movements make those scenes really come to life. Good dialogue, despite a pretty standard superhero story. Some of Delsin's quips are great. I love the "shhhh" when he puts some enemies down.

Totally more Infamous. The most Infamousey Infamous game I have played since Infamous 2.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iodine: Just shoot at them. Come back to them after you have Neon power + Infinite sprint upgrade.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm really liking it so far. I got to Seattle and have just been doing all the side stuff like blasting DUP fools, the side missions and collecting blast shards. I'm going to continue the story though. I want that neon dash. Gameplay feels really tight and it looks great. Can't wait to get the power sets after neon (and fuck me because I know the last(?) power set).

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Nodima

story seems perfectly nonsensical (first thirty minutes spoilers below)

I love how the beginning of the story is "watch out, the Conduit cops are coming to round us up, oh Delsin you got caught by the Conduit cops, wait Delsin you're home safe in a makeshift hospital, hey Delsin your mentor has gigantic shards of concrete in her calves like some kind of Florida stripper but she's going to call you and ask how your vacation in Seattle is like a grandma". Just no consistency to the story at all, but the facial animations are great and it's a freakin' comic book movie essentially.

I haven't unlocked the second power yet and I've got three districts down to nearly 30%, all but two Smoke upgrades purchased which are just locked out by my karma level. I've been playing since roughly 12:30 and it's 5:00 now; I might play it through UPF until I go to work.

BLOWING AREAS UP IS THE BEST. I love all that scaffolding collapsing all around you. And I love building up the bomb drop attack and then unleashing it in the middle of a crowd that's clearly too strong for me otherwise.

There are a few other little things I could quibble with:

all the shortcuts they built in for scaling buildings appears to have left actual, old-school building climbing a little neglected. Lots of Angles you plain can't take that I know you could in previous games. There are other times where it animates so flawlessly and combines with smoke stack launching in really cool ways that I've been totally surprised every time I run into an accidental roadblock on the side of a building.

The lack of diversity in Delsin's melee seems troublesome but I suppose I've felt that way about quite a few of these kinds of games since playing DmC. I feel like I should have some sort of appropriate attack for all situations but all it is so far is the chain and the the earthquake punch thing.

It's kind of strange but also comforting that so many of the art assets and so many of Delsin's animations seem like a painstakingly uprezzed mold of the first two cities. I'm glad they still stash blast shards on top of water towers even if blast shards aren't addicting in quite the same way this time.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EthanielRain

I don't like it so far. Delsin is constantly talking like a badass, but dies almost instantly if I try going toe-to-toe with the DUP. It's left me playing like a sniper, or trying to run in to kill a couple dudes then run away to heal. Maybe it'll get better as I unlock more powers/play more of the game.

Edit: To be fair, when I tried the first Infamous I also felt really weak (coming from the I'm-going-to-wreck-this-entire-city Prototype). Maybe that's just a part of the series?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it'll get better as I unlock more powers/play more of the game.

It does. Be sure to collect shards and upgrade your powers.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking at the box now and it sure looks neat and shiny.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the game a lot but I hate doing the spray paint side mission. It's stupid. Other than that I like Deslin as a character. So far anytime he talks to his brother has resulted in some pretty good dialogue.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I'm only two hours or so in, but I am so far quite disappointed in what seems to me to be a lack of speed and control snappiness. It all feels quite slow and clunky so far. To those further along; does it improve at some point?

Also... does the dialog, behavior and actions of the characters between gameplay moments and cutscenes seem completely incongruous to anyone else? Does this continue?

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rangers517

Played for like 6 hours so far. At first with just the smoke power I felt kind of weak and the traversal wasn't that fast, but once I got the neon power everything fell into place and it's been amazing. Can't wait to play some more.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

So far im really liking it, I just got the neon powers and so far i prefer smoke. With both powers you are really mobile, each in a specific way. I do miss Cole and Zeke but i like Delson so far, but the audio mix with his voice and the eviroment seems off. I also enjoy the motion comics back-stories, I really like the motion comics in the first game and missed them in the second so its great seeing them again.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got my first power so i'm not far at all lol, but i like it so far.

@meatball said:

I love the goofy spraypaint gimmick, it's just such a cool and effective use of the Dual Shock 4's features.

Really? I'm the opposite, it feels really bad and forced to me. Kinda reminds me of the stuff in the first uncharted, wish they had an option to turn it off and just use the analog. Honestly, the touch pad stuff seems forced too (so far anyway). i still haven't played a game where motion control or touch pads have been of any use at all and haven't just felt like a cumbersome way to do a simple action .

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sackmanjones

@ethanielrain: that's the reason I totally disliked the first one. 2 made you feel a bit stronger and more powerful. This one seems to feels but more like the second one do I'm enjoying it. The thing you gotta note is it should be played as a shooter, not a hack n slash. Getting close can do damage to one or two guys but if there is a group a people it's best to pick em off

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got off of work after doing receiving for half of the day (Unloading the truck and shipping items to the right departments). My co-worker asked me about second son I told him it was aswome, and that I can't wait to get back to playing it. Though he did spoil a power that he heard about which is fire. Though I'm not surprised that delsin gets that power, anyway I'm off to playing second son.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I've played about an hour of it and I'm in love. The game visually looks astounding and the gameplay's nice and smooth. It really feels like a next gen game. I really hope we start seeing of lot of these now the consoles are out and established in the market.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, the touch pad stuff seems forced too (so far anyway). i still haven't played a game where motion control or touch pads have been of any use at all and haven't just felt like a cumbersome way to do a simple action .

I'd much rather swipe the touchpad over pounding on the square button to break a pillar. Also, I'd rather the absorb button be the touchpad over one of the thumbsticks (which is what it was in the other games I think).

Also, the spray painting side mission is a good way to kill a minute doing something else in the game. The motion sensor always works well, too.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just beat the game now as a full hero and didn't do many of the sidemissions (I plan on grinding through that, then doing all the dlc stuff, then beat it on expert as an evil person).

Story is what it is. It's not the main part of the game for me, but I wish they leaned into more of a traditional super hero arc more in these games. Delsin does undergo a full arc and comes out the other side a better person (on the hero side at least), but there are side characters you meet along the way that are quickly forgotten about.

Graphics are stellar. Seattle looks all nice and warm in the daytime, and then looks dank when it rains. Particle effects are the highlight of the game.

Gameplay is super great. Being able to chain together strategies and coming up with your own approach to hand certain situations is what I love about Infamous and it continues here.

Overall, a good time.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Good to hear it's been a pretty positive experience.

I've been holding off on a PS4 purchase until more came out that I was interested in. Now seems to be the time that I may jump in.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By buneroid

@meatball said:

I love this too it just makes me laugh.

Anyways I've played a few hours so far and it's definitely the best infamous game yet. The neon and lighting look incredible and it's super easy and fun to move around with the smoke powers.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By awesomeusername

Second impressions:

I played like 9 hours with a 90 minute break in between (Skipped class today) but man, this game is pretty damn good. I'm at 73% done with the game because I did everything in the first area of the game. I'm at the second area. The third power is pretty cool but I won't say. We all know what the last power is so I'm interested in seeing what we can do with that. I'm having a lot of fun just neon dashing around, beating some baddies and then switching my power in the middle of a fight and finishing them off. The characters and writing are pretty good but the story is pretty slow, although it'll probably pick up now that I'm almost done. I'm going to blow through the rest of the side content and then finish the game off. Then probably jump in right after to play evil.

For anyone whose played the Paper Trail mission, are you excited?! Spoiler for the first mission!

The damn girl has PAPER POWERS! It sounded dumb on paper (ha!) but seeing her run around was pretty cool. I seriously hope the last mission in the next 6 weeks of this content is absorbing her power because I want to run around and leave a trail of origami's.

Another cool thing. If you visited the viral marketing sites for this game, it says "Thus far,electrical, wire, glass paper, shadows, and magnetic conduit proteins have been uncovered" and in the game, one of the audio logs mentions that they experimented giving the DUP soldiers these powers and that glass was super powerful but hard to control. That would have been awesome to have as as a power! I honestly wouldn't mind if Sucker Punch made Infamous games forever. Superpowers are awesome.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@oursin_360 said:

Honestly, the touch pad stuff seems forced too (so far anyway). i still haven't played a game where motion control or touch pads have been of any use at all and haven't just felt like a cumbersome way to do a simple action .

I'd much rather swipe the touchpad over pounding on the square button to break a pillar. Also, I'd rather the absorb button be the touchpad over one of the thumbsticks (which is what it was in the other games I think).

Also, the spray painting side mission is a good way to kill a minute doing something else in the game. The motion sensor always works well, too.

yeah, i'd rather just hit a button. Using the touch pad a button to absorb is alright as it just functions as a new button on the controller, i find swiping annoying though when you could just hit a button instead. I"m not sure about the motion detection it feels off for me, but maybe it's aimed at the console and i don't have it in front of the tv?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Yeah, it is just another button press, but like I said, if the swipes weren't there, it would have to use a button that is already assigned for something else. It's inoffensive.

There's motion sensors in the controller, you don't have to point it at the tv at all. Just slightly move your wrists around from your normal hand position to move the cursor around.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

So I inexplicably ended up buying this tonight off PSN had no plans to but.... what is done is done.

So far I like it more than the other two inFAMOUS games. Some bulletpoints.

• The use of the Dualshock 4's features is pretty fun
    • GOD DAMN this game looks amazing in motion.
    • Don't understand why water is apparently still a no no. Made sense with cole but Delson not being able to go in water is just goofy.
    • The story seems like it could be going in a more interesting direction than the first two.
    • The side mission stuff seems mostly like busy work
    • Did I mention this game looks REALLY good?
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turboman

@demoskinos: I like how Delsin just floats in the water and waits for you to warp him back to shore. He never had an audio cue or any explanation for why he hates water.

Might as well have a developer pop up on the screen and say "C'mon, what'd ya expect?"

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Updated thoughts. The TV power is fuckin rad!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it so far, aquiring neon powers has probably been the highlight of the game so far, in terms of visuals (which have been great otherwise as well). Gameplay feels just as great as before, if not even better. Certainly has been worth the wait if judging by these first few hours I've played.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I think this really is the first PS4 game where I'm like okay,so THIS is what the PS4 can do.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By handlas

It's just super super fun to play. Simple as that. Especially when you get the neon powers. The added mobility makes it way more fun than the smoke powers. No more climbing up buildings... just run up the sides.

Dark Souls 2, MGS V Ground Zeros and any other games I was playing are now on hold until I finish this game.

The game makes my PS4 sound like a lawnmower though. Only game that seems to be taxing on it that I've played.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@demoskinos: I like how Delsin just floats in the water and waits for you to warp him back to shore. He never had an audio cue or any explanation for why he hates water.

Might as well have a developer pop up on the screen and say "C'mon, what'd ya expect?"

glitch last night

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having acquired the third power late last night, I'm still partial to smoke. Sure it's simple but it gets the job done especially with the headshot perk. There's enough neon around I usually just take a hit before I need to travel and stick with smoke otherwise. Not totally sure how I feel about power 3 yet but it's definitely a moment where this game says "this isn't your daddy's inFamous."

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jesus_Phish

In game progress tells me I've about 30% completed and I just got to the second island area. I'm having a blast with it. I love the city, the references to real world places. Had a smile on my face draining the Sub Pop sign. I don't get why a bunch of people claim the smoke powers are boring (other than their opinion of course). I like them. they're pretty similar to neon except they don't look as "pretty" in the "ooh colours" sense. I really like how they use the DS4 pad. The tagging minigame is actually really fun and the audio from the controller sounds great.

I can definitely see this getting a second play through.

Some things that do annoy me though

1) While it's a very pretty game there's a few things that really let it down. If it's raining and you point the camera down to the ground, you stop seeing the rain drops hitting the ground and splashing.

2) There's way too many copies of store fronts. In some locations there's like two bubble tea shops across the road from each other. When you first encounter the neon crime scene there's an Irish pub. You follow the case and the next place you go has the very same pub.

3) The music just isn't there. For all they talked about how they where making music a big part of it, recording local bands and for a city which has such a rich history of music and one of the most important scenes in modern history the game just sounds really muted.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Klei

I'm wierded out by the absence of melee finishers and special combos you could link up by destroying your foes with different moves.

Also wierded out by the camera right above Delsin's head, when the two past games gave you a really good over-the-shoulder perspective.

I'm not sure I like switching up between smoke and neon, both should have been at your disposition at the same time, now I'm weirded out by the parkour whenever I switch up.

I don't like the absence of music. The game has NONE most of the time, not even a background tune or anything.

And I don't like why they still use the same retarded parkour manoeuvers.

Other than that, I like the game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By csl316

I'm really starting to enjoy these "share your impressions" threads. for new releases.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GunstarRed

I finished the game earlier and immediately started up an evil playthrough. The game is good, not great, but there's a lot of fun to be had. I really, really hated both of the fights with the boss lady. Both of those fights instantly put me off of trying the game in expert mode. I just don't see how they'd be fun. I encountered a bunch of buggy, weird shit, but that's not new to Infamous.

The effects and the faces are the real stars of the show. The fourth power is super disappointing and if you've already cleared out the city utterly useless. The ending really falls flat, which is a real shame as all of the set up was great.

Oh, and I'm so glad there's still comic book style sequences when they talk about peoples back stories. Those bits of animation are really good the way they transition from one thing to another.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.