Where there is smoke there is fire.

#1 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I really like the idea that the new guy's power is smoke. Smoke the MK character is awesome and it's not a generic element.

#2 Edited by rapsney (29 posts) -

I think they noticed how the swarm of bats travel power in Infamous 2 dlc improved the game and said "we can do that with smoke" and just went from there in finding new powers

#3 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

I heard some people talk about how smoke could also go into being clouds. Thus giveing him rain and lightning.

#4 Edited by Andorski (5331 posts) -

So the main character's "kryptonite" is an air purifier? I wonder if the EPA is the evil government branch that is putting the entire country on surveillance.

#6 Posted by AlisterCat (5593 posts) -

What about dry ice?

#7 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

The thing that really stood out to me the most in the various PS4 demos was the smoke/dust effects, so basing a whole game around that could be really neat.

Also, I really hope they get creative with the different powers you can use.

#8 Posted by Snail (8606 posts) -

Have they confirmed this, or are you speculating?

#9 Posted by PenguinDust (12533 posts) -
I got your Clean Air bill right here!

Well, smoke can be pretty powerful when used correctly. I know of one smoke based character in entertainment media who was pretty kick-ass with his powers.

The implication from the trailer or the trailer's set up is that there are several superhero / villains running about the world in this dystopian future. I'd like to see more variety in that direction. Ultimately, I hope the Infamous franchise allows us more flexibility in how we determine the powers our characters have. I'm not asking for a full-on Champions/City of Heroes type creation, but perhaps something with a little more personalization.

If not in Infamous, perhaps in the superhero turn-of-events rumored to be in the next Saints Row. I am still waiting for my ultimate superhero video game.

#10 Posted by buft (3318 posts) -

Well, smoke can be pretty powerful when used correctly. I know of one smoke based character in entertainment media who was pretty kick-ass with his powers.

The implication from the trailer or the trailer's set up is that there are several superhero / villains running about the world in this dystopian future. I'd like to see more variety in that direction. Ultimately, I hope the Infamous franchise allows us more flexibility in how we determine the powers our characters have. I'm not asking for a full-on Champions/City of Heroes type creation, but perhaps something with a little more personalization.

If not in Infamous, perhaps in the superhero turn-of-events rumored to be in the next Saints Row. I am still waiting for my ultimate superhero video game.

I recently seen something on Kickstarter with a similar premise to what you are suggesting, Project awakened, its in early stages right now but some of thje ideas they have about being able to build your character how you wish are really great

#11 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@buft: Which just makes it even more depressing that they're nowhere near close to their goal with 10 days to go. : (

#12 Posted by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

@snail: Yupp. This is ripped from the PS Blog.

Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him: A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life. After rescuing occupants from a fiery bus wreck, he discovers that he suddenly has the ability to direct, manipulate and even transform into… Smoke. Could he have absorbed this power from one of the passengers he pulled from the wreckage?

Setting the scene: It’s been seven years since the Cole McGrath episodes and the world has clearly changed. Anyone showing signs of being a so-called “bio-terrorist” is immediately handed over to the Department of Unified Protection (DUP) — a government agency created to ensure there is never a repeat of the catastrophic events of Empire City and New Marais. So Delsin, who has never been particularly respectful of authority, finds himself caught in the DUP dragnet – And decides he’s not going to go quietly.

Along the way, Delsin is going to ask questions that are not just relevant to the world of Second Son – but to the world we all live in today. A world where we are often instructed to surrender our freedoms to help improve our security. Ben Franklin once wrote “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Is he right?

Link.

#13 Posted by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

I think it's interesting and I'm excited for some new powers. I hope we're able to go down some dudes throat to suffocate him to death or something. That would be really cool. In a completely video gamey way. I wouldn't find this cool if it were a real person. But interesting choice in powers nonetheless.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (15966 posts) -

I was going to post a picture of Smoker, but you beat me to it!

#15 Posted by Strife777 (1591 posts) -

You got me thinking that smoke hasn't really been mastered in game graphics yet it seems. So hopefully that's going to start with this game, being the main power and all.

I do agree that it's good they didn't go with something generic like fire or ice. Could lead to some interesting abilities.

#16 Posted by Ares42 (2688 posts) -

Hate to go all comic-book nerd, but considering the trailer they showed having his power be smoke makes absolutely no sense. Being able to create/form smoke means explicitly that he can't create fire (since if he can create fire that's his power and the smoke is only a secondary effect), yet the trailer is all about him turning into cinder and finishes with him casting a fireball. Not that smoke can't be a great ability, but if they play on the correlation from the topic title it's just stupid.

#17 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

i like how this guy is totally sticking it to the man but also has a sweet jacket and likes to rock out.

seriously though these we gotta stick it to the man/ 9/11 was an inside job/no one is gonna stop me from enjoying my pepsi products games are getting ludicrous. what demographic are they going for?

#18 Posted by TooWalrus (13218 posts) -

Oh shit, this is the LOST game fans have been watiting for- you get to BE the Smoke Monster. Amazing.

#19 Posted by Hailinel (24970 posts) -

Oh shit, this is the LOST game fans have been watiting for- you get to BE the Smoke Monster. Amazing.

And your primary contact is the Cigarette Smoking Man from the X-Files. Which means that this will be Patrick's Game of the Forever.

#20 Edited by Enigma777 (6074 posts) -

@andorski said:

So the main character's "kryptonite" is an air purifier? I wonder if the EPA is the evil government branch that is putting the entire country on surveillance.

Better than chain-link fences!

#21 Posted by chrissedoff (2109 posts) -

@andorski said:

Breaking news: inFamous: Second Son is sponsored by the Koch brothers.

#22 Edited by TheHT (11376 posts) -

Smoke huh? That's cool I guess.

Makes me wish they did more with the Beast. Where Kessler was the coolest part of inFamous 1 and featured quite prominently, the Beast was just kinda... there. And when you find out who he really is, it's pretty fucking cool but then he goes back to collosus mode for a shitty boss fight. Lame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.