Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Franchise »

A Sucker Punch-developed, Sony-published series of open world action platformers starring Cole MacGrath, a bike messenger given electrical superpowers in an accident.

How do these games hold up?

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By SomberOwl

I'm pretty locked on getting and playing the Infamous Collection before Second Son comes out. I'm just wondering if these games hold up well?

Has anyone played through them recently?

Is there still an active online creative scene for the second game?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The first game is rough around the edges, but it's still pretty fun. Just don't play it on the high difficulty.

The second game holds up better, and with the amount of missions that have already been created, you need not worry about there being a lack of user-generated content.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Infamous 2 held up when I played it last year.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

I wonder if the first game will be on psn+ for free before Second Son launches, could be a great way to get more people into inFamous.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played Infamous about 6 months ago or so. I LOVED that game when I played it around it's launch. But it is much rougher around the edges than I remembered. Framerate was pretty bad. Honestly, If I were to play it now and not have played it then, I wouldn't have got past the rough edges and would have moved on and played something else.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By strainedeyes

Both games are still really fun to play. The first game shows its age with graphics and the story stuff, but the gameplay is solid for both.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They both hold up pretty well. Similar to the Assassin's Creed franchise in that the initial game is more proof of concept than fully-featured experience. The second game trades in monotony and uneven design for more of what worked best the first time around.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SomberOwl

@mosdl said:

I wonder if the first game will be on psn+ for free before Second Son launches, could be a great way to get more people into inFamous.

Yeah I was thinking this also. The Infamous Collection is a pretty good value though. It's actually pretty hard to come by for me. Theres no new copy on Amazon.ca and my local Walmart doesn't have it so I have to go to EB Games which is like 20 minutes away for me and I think they only have 1 new copy in stock.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I played them both at the tail end of 2012 and enjoyed the heck out of them. They were probably the two games that i had the most fun with on the PS3 since I got it in November of that year, and I have played most of the "big" PS3 exclusives since then.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Infamous 1, Infamous 2 on the other hand...I don't know, I liked it but I think it was too long maybe? It just felt like the last third just dragged on waaay too long. Like yeah okay, move on. Maybe because in those games I Vinny it and just basically try to collect everything in an area before I move on.

But yeah, Second Son bundle is what I'm wanting for a PS4 bundle :D

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastically, one of them is a game of the generation.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts: they are both the exact same number of missions.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazielCuts

@jz: Really? Once it got to River Town (whatever that is, it felt like the last third of the game) it just got super monotonous, doing the same things and missions over and over again. I liked 1 for the story and the twists and turns, even if I saw them coming, felt more complete.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hatking

@somberowl: I bought my PS3 super late in the cycle. I played InFamous at some point during 2012, I think. I finished it no problem. Never felt too clunky. The controls are a little strange, and the abilities sometimes feel like they never go quite far enough. Like, by the end you aren't rolling on fools with an automatic lightning gun or anything.

I play InFamous 2 afterward, but never finished it. My problem with going back to all those series I missed was burning out on them because I was trying to knock out multiple games at once. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to 2. It's good. It looks better and controls better. I just don't know if I have the drive. Also, narratively speaking the games suffer from the player choice thing at the end that makes continuity really fucking difficult.

Honestly, you might be better off just grabbing a copy of 2, if it's much cheaper. Otherwise, the collection is a good deal, if you can get through it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the Infamous games hold up rather well, but I still think it's weird that for a "superhero" game, you're basically just playing a third-person shooter. Your main power might as well be a gun/Iron Man hand blaster thing. One of the first powers you get is a grenade. Not much later you get a sniper rifle equivalent, and a rocket launcher equivalent. Sure, there's super heroey stuff, like doing a ground pound from up above, gliding around, using a "Force push". Still, it's weird how the whole game is basically a third-person shooter.

I don't necessarily think it's a better game, but from the same era, Prototype actually feels more like you have superhero powers, in that in both Prototype games, your guy is basically Carnage from Spider-Man.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I played the first one about a year or two back and it holds up fine. They kind of have their own way of doing open world that not a lot of other people copy so its not like you would have played a lot of games like it. You will realize quickly that it's just a shooter where you shoot lightning from your hands instead of using a gun, but otherwise it's fine.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I think the Infamous games hold up rather well, but I still think it's weird that for a "superhero" game, you're basically just playing a third-person shooter. Your main power might as well be a gun/Iron Man hand blaster thing. One of the first powers you get is a grenade. Not much later you get a sniper rifle equivalent, and a rocket launcher equivalent. Sure, there's super heroey stuff, like doing a ground pound from up above, gliding around, using a "Force push". Still, it's weird how the whole game is basically a third-person shooter.

I don't necessarily think it's a better game, but from the same era, Prototype actually feels more like you have superhero powers, in that in both Prototype games, your guy is basically Carnage from Spider-Man.

It may basically be a third person shooter, but it is a far better one than pretty much any other open world game. Compared to Saints Row, GTA, and any other urban open world game, these games are so much more enjoyable from a pure gameplay standpoint.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They're great. Some of the best gameplay of the generation.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BisonHero

@ll_exile_ll: I'll admit, the idea of drawing electrical power out of stuff was really cool. And it actually made, like, parks a really scary battleground, because at best you might find a couple lamp posts to recharge yourself on.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

I haven't played the first in a couple of years, but (though not on my initial easy playthrough), I thought the game was superb. I recommend playing it on hard after your first if you don't mind going through it again. As for two, I played it late; early last year actually, and while it didn't necessarily disappoint me since my expectations were a bit different, I thought it was merely good.

There's great aspects to it, but overall wasn't terrific. I'd say it holds up. Oh, and the Vampire DLC has the best atmosphere out of all Infamous so far, and despite it's shorter length to the actual game, I think I liked it slightly more than the actual game due to atmosphere, and music was better to me as well. I bought the Collection as well since it had all the DLC and was cheap, even though I already had the first separately.

Second Son looks good, plus, it is as I kind of felt I foretold when I was playing two, it takes place in Seattle: my home city, and that's neat.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The first one had some decent ideas in it. Going evil was amusing and they handled it alright. Some easy outs taken in the story but whatever it's a comic book style game.

There is one particular area that's a large vertical tower to climb with some fighting to do as well. It's pretty awesome and really stood out for me. The sewer stuff was alright too. I didn't care for open-world missions much.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Steadying

I think InFamous 1 is super boring.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RonGalaxy

I think both hold up extremely well on the gameplay front. The first one is a bit dated visually and has some framerate issues when things get intense on screen (which often happens in that game), but it's nothing terrible. I think the second one still looks great, especially the lighting and effects. They are still easy to recommend games because they control extremely well and are fun to play.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I think they both awesome, however I think that the pacing of both games feels kind of odd. The worst part is the audio design in inFamous 2. There are sections where there is nearly no audio at all and many things just don't have sound effects like a street car passing by or automobiles trucking by. Just kind of became distracting.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

So I should play Prototype 2 instead of Infamous 2.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Infamous 2, at least, is still entirely worth playing. Even at the time, it was more consistently enjoyable than the first game because it smoothed out so many rough edges. I'm sure age has done no favors for Infamous' jank.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Infamous 1 late last year and had a really good time with it so yeah, it holds up just fine.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

inFamous 1 is one of the best games of the past generation, I've played it to completion five times which is the most I've played a given single player game from start to finish either of the past two generations, and if you set it in front of me with nothing to do there's a good chance I'd do it again. The only real flaw with that game is that you can get yourself stuck at the end game practically indefinitely by making a choice that inverts your powers but leaves you with no way to upgrade them, being that you've likely secured most of the districts in the game at that point and have no efficient way to gain XP. Otherwise, I'd contend inFamous is essentially a flawless action game, Zeke not withstanding.

inFamous 2, on the other hand, is admirable for trying. It's much bigger, the enemies are all much more disgusting, and the moral choices are presented in ever so slightly less binary terms. Cole and Zeke are improved as characters. But something about the whole thing feels off. The additions to the melee combat are wonderful but Cole's movement feels like it's in danger of tipping too far onto the other side of twitchiness, where the movement just feels unnaturaly game-y for lack of a better term. For some, I'm sure that's a great thing, but I never totally enjoyed how Cole moved in 2. The inspiration of New Orleans also led to a city that's not nearly as fun to navigate as New York was, with the lack of rails and other things to quickly propel you across the city becoming apparent all too quickly.

A lot of the posts in this thread seem to be arguing that inFamous 2 improved on much of what made inFamous so amazing back in 2008 or whenever it was, but I'd argue that they didn't improve so much as simply add a bunch of shiny stuff on top that doesn't necessarily click. It made for a game that ultimately doesn't feel as caught between generations as inFamous could now, all these years after moral choice and building-scaling were still a novelty. But removing any contemporaneous blinders, it's hard for me to imagine anyone being more satisfied by inFamous 2 than inFamous. Don't get this post wrong, inFamous 2 is a great game, especially once it gets going. But I think it also got away from itself a little bit just to be weird for the sake of it, and the enemies with their own powers got a little too powerful.

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'ma huge fan of both and am glad to say that both games. As long as you don't play them on hard, they should be great

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

10/10. Play them.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosdl: I'd be pretty pissed if they gave Infamous out for PS+ now, because that was one of the games they were giving away after the PSN outage. I wouldn't be alone, I'm sure.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

The first two inFAMOUS games control so damn well that they're undoubtedly going to be able to stand the test of time long into the current-generation me thinks.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Nodima

@sonicrift said:

@mosdl: I'd be pretty pissed if they gave Infamous out for PS+ now, because that was one of the games they were giving away after the PSN outage. I wouldn't be alone, I'm sure.

what about that would make you mad, exactly? If you got it for free then, what's so bad about others getting it for free now? inFamous was their debut Free Game Trial (and, as you mentioned, one of the flagship titles that turned around the perception of PS+ as a service alongside Little Big Planet...even if it took over a year to really pay dividends), and inFamous 2 was a PS+ game last summer. The series already has a long history with the Instant Game Collection, I really don't see what would be upsetting about giving people who may have missed a 5 year old game a chance to try it out.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They both play great and Festival of Blood is a great twist on the formula. Graphically, that game can get a little rough around the edges due to it being rendered natively at less than 720p. But, I strongly recommend them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Infamous 1 and hated 2/3rds of it, I felt it was super boring, really clunky controlwise, the powers were lame and the city was bland, so I would say no but that's just cause I didn't like it too begin with.

A lot of other duders say it's good so give it a shot.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonicrift said:

I think you would be almost alone in being pissed, because who the hell cares?

I really don't think those games were meant to be some special unique thing that they'll never give away again. It was just like "OK, fuck, what games are a couple years old and nobody is buying anyway? InFamous and LittleBigPlanet and that Wipeout game? Sure, why not." Then a year or two later when PS+ got better, they didn't even give away Infamous, they gave away Infamous 2, because by that point even that game had been out for a while.

Do not confuse "games you got from PSN outage" with "3DS Ambassador program". I don't recall Sony ever promising that they'd never give those games away for other reasons, whereas Nintendo did sorta say they had no plans to release the GBA Ambassador games.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero said:

Infamous 2 is miles better. Prototype 2 is a fun power trip, but the story, visuals and gameplay all lack polish. You run way too fast to accurately fight most of the monsters you encounter, which makes the whole combat about jumping and using dive-bombs attacks.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SomberOwl

Turns out my local EB Games does not actually have this game... Now I'm going to have to order it off Wal-mart or Ebay or go waaaay out of my way to get it. Kind of sucks I was hoping to play today.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@klei said:

@nightriff said:

@bisonhero said:

Infamous 2 is miles better. Prototype 2 is a fun power trip, but the story, visuals and gameplay all lack polish. You run way too fast to accurately fight most of the monsters you encounter, which makes the whole combat about jumping and using dive-bombs attacks.

That's pretty much exactly how I remember playing the first one, too. Especially nearing the end, where the difficulty spikes to a ridiculous degree, forcing you to be constantly sprinting around everywhere.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Infamous 1 when it came out.

I thought it was hot shit.

Ive obviously not played one since, and am satisfied with my decision.

(I realize im the minority)

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SomberOwl

Soooo if anyone cares my local Walmart DID in fact have a copy. Installing now. Pro tip. Don't always trust online stock availability. EB Games website said they had a copy and didn't, while Walmart's site said they didn't have a copy and did.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think they hold up great gameplay wise. The issues those games have aren't a result of their age at least, they were there at launch.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klei said:

@nightriff said:

@bisonhero said:

hehe I remember the Prototype vs Infamous debate when the games were first being shown and how everyone said Infamous looked like shit and Prototype would be awesome. I enjoyed both games but it's pretty clear what franchise is in a better state right now.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Hold up? They aren't old. They continue to be fantastic.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@mosdl said:

i could be wrong but I think I recall the original infamous already being a PS+ game.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

@klei said:

@nightriff said:

@bisonhero said:

hehe I remember the Prototype vs Infamous debate when the games were first being shown and how everyone said Infamous looked like shit and Prototype would be awesome. I enjoyed both games but it's pretty clear what franchise is in a better state right now.

I feel like Infamous 1 is actually kind of rough whereas Prototype was pretty solid out the gate, so the first two games are actually pretty close in terms of quality.

However, both of their sequels were in the "OK, so you didn't change much or add anything super crazy" category of safe sequels, but Prototype 2 pretty clearly shit the bed in some key ways compared to the thoroughly average and acceptable Infamous 2.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@techhits said:

@mosdl said:

i could be wrong but I think I recall the original infamous already being a PS+ game.

If it was then they should repeat it as I bet a lot of people joined PS+ after that.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@mosdl said:

@techhits said:

@mosdl said:

If it was then they should repeat it as I bet a lot of people joined PS+ after that.

it's probably not a bad idea, but as far as I know no game has been free on PS+ more than once

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.