I don't think the infamous games get enough credit.

• 62 results
#51 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4516 posts) -

infamous 1? Yes. Infamous 2 had some amazingly shitty writing that completely killed my enjoyment. Playing it wasn't too much better either as it seemed to suffer from a worse case of the only real complaint I had with Infamous 1 which was "instead of throwing even remotely smart enemies at you, we are just going to throw an overwhelming amount of dumb ones in your face."

#52 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I've only played bits, but Infamous seemed like it was almost the sequel to Crackdown that I wanted as opposed to Crackdown 2, which was utter shit.

#53 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

infamous 1? Yes. Infamous 2 had some amazingly shitty writing that completely killed my enjoyment. Playing it wasn't too much better either as it seemed to suffer from a worse case of the only real complaint I had with Infamous 1 which was "instead of throwing even remotely smart enemies at you, we are just going to throw an overwhelming amount of dumb ones in your face."

Here's the thing. I really like inFamous 2 but the story in inFamous 2 made inFamous 1 make even less sense. I also didn't think the first inFamous had a good story either. I didn't understand Kessler's actions in relation to his motivations. Maybe I'm misremembering some things but I could think of better ways for him to achieve his goals. inFamous 2 further muddled Kessler's actions.

#54 Posted by endoworks (288 posts) -

I got the first Infamous as part of the PS3 hack free game and I have yet to launch it. I need to make it a point to turn that thing on and play it.

#55 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4516 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@BabyChooChoo said:

Here's the thing. I really like inFamous 2 but the story in inFamous 2 made inFamous 1 make even less sense. I also didn't think the first inFamous had a good story either. I didn't understand Kessler's actions in relation to his motivations. Maybe I'm misremembering some things but I could think of better ways for him to achieve his goals. inFamous 2 further muddled Kessler's actions.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Infamous 1 did not have a great story by any stretch of the imagination, but, at least to me, it didn't suffer from as many glaring plotholes and just plain weird shit Infamous 2 suffered from.

#56 Posted by spankingaddict (2673 posts) -

I agree. inFAMOUS is the best open world game ive played. 2nd was a bit disappointing except for the ending..

#57 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

My favorite open-world games. Cant wait till the 3rd one!

#58 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

I honestly felt like they got too much praise when they came out. But I'm also not a huge fan of those types of games.

#59 Posted by probablytuna (3665 posts) -

I liked the first inFamous but there were minor technical issues that took points off like unstable frame rates in big fire fights. The sequel improved upon it but I don't know, it just didn't grab me as much. The same with Borderlands 2.

#60 Edited by byterunner (307 posts) -

@SethPhotopoulos: yeah, that's what I said. I realized that back in ps2, that I can understand the SP/ND/inco comparisons, but now? I don't think that insomniac has released anything that great recently, ND has become mega big, but I feel they're games are so different than those of SP now. and I also disagree with the production value of inFamous 1. Especially compared to Prototype. which had god awful production value. I wont get into writing, since I'm in the minority it seems. (The Stories are just fine. If you don't like the karma system is one thing, but the stories are Fine).

but anyways, I know why SP isn't popular right now, since the last thing they've released was some DLC like 2 years ago, but I feel that back than, SP was always some 2nd tier studio. When I felt they were unappreciated and stuff.

Basically, why don't I see topics online asking what the fuck Sucker Punch is doing?

#61 Posted by xyzygy (9994 posts) -

I think the reason they don't have much bugs is because they're the most linear open world games ever made. The world is insanely lifeless and gives you absolutely nothing to do outside of the main missions and really bad sidequests featuring terrible characters. The controls are tight, but that's about the only thing I give credit to with this series.

#62 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5263 posts) -

@byterunner said:

They were under appreciated as a studio, yes. With what they were able to do with a small budget for close to ten years they deserved a pay raise. Say what you want about the inFamous games but the part where you played them were really good. I could also list several reasons why I think the production values are low in inFamous and why the story is bad but hey.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.