Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

inFamous

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released May 26, 2009

inFamous is a third-person open-world action game in which players take control of Cole, an urban explorer / bike messenger changed by a mysterious blast that grants him electricity-based superpowers.

Late to the party : my thoughts on infamous

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Edited By WalkerTR77

I've always thought of infamous as one of those games which I've been missing out on by not owning a ps3, and while I couldn't justify getting a ps3 for infamous I definitely enjoyed the game. The game doesn't exactly offer any great leaps forward for open world games in general other than the super powered premise, and considering that this is a console exclusive released only a year ago there are a number of small yet jarring issues with polish and animation throughout that initially can pull you out of the experience. On the topic of first impressions, the first several hours of the game can be a hard slog, especially considering the frugal introduction of new ability's at this stage. 

No Caption Provided

Minor quibbles aside, the gameplay itself is the centerpiece of proceedings and is fun while offering a satisfying degree of acuity when it comes to actually using powers. Cole feels nimble, all of the ability's are fairly easy to deploy and after around 20 minutes with each you'll be adding them into your repertoire of carnage. The powers as a whole  mesh very well as a set, numerous combination's are possible and the ensuing havoc is always awesome. Difficulty is variable, typically fair after some initial adjustment but occasionally overly tedious such as in "protect the vehicle" sequences. 
    No Caption Provided

The story was surprisingly well honed, and while secondary characters were not as well defined as rockstar would typically offer, the central concerns of the protagonist are adeptly explored and personally I empathised more with the quandary's of Cole than with those of Nico Bellic. A late yet genuinely surprising high concept twist is well implemented and it's refreshing to see that the broader franchise has been given some thought and was laid out in the game rather than being left as an afterthought to be considered if the game finds success. 

There's obviously more to be said about infamous, but in brief, regardless of repetitive side missions and a handful of detrimental factors I really enjoyed my time with infamous. Above all else, infamous is just great fun and if the bombastic combat, solid traversal and comic book stylings don't appeal then perhaps the theme will?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WalkerTR77

I've always thought of infamous as one of those games which I've been missing out on by not owning a ps3, and while I couldn't justify getting a ps3 for infamous I definitely enjoyed the game. The game doesn't exactly offer any great leaps forward for open world games in general other than the super powered premise, and considering that this is a console exclusive released only a year ago there are a number of small yet jarring issues with polish and animation throughout that initially can pull you out of the experience. On the topic of first impressions, the first several hours of the game can be a hard slog, especially considering the frugal introduction of new ability's at this stage. 

No Caption Provided

Minor quibbles aside, the gameplay itself is the centerpiece of proceedings and is fun while offering a satisfying degree of acuity when it comes to actually using powers. Cole feels nimble, all of the ability's are fairly easy to deploy and after around 20 minutes with each you'll be adding them into your repertoire of carnage. The powers as a whole  mesh very well as a set, numerous combination's are possible and the ensuing havoc is always awesome. Difficulty is variable, typically fair after some initial adjustment but occasionally overly tedious such as in "protect the vehicle" sequences. 
    No Caption Provided

The story was surprisingly well honed, and while secondary characters were not as well defined as rockstar would typically offer, the central concerns of the protagonist are adeptly explored and personally I empathised more with the quandary's of Cole than with those of Nico Bellic. A late yet genuinely surprising high concept twist is well implemented and it's refreshing to see that the broader franchise has been given some thought and was laid out in the game rather than being left as an afterthought to be considered if the game finds success. 

There's obviously more to be said about infamous, but in brief, regardless of repetitive side missions and a handful of detrimental factors I really enjoyed my time with infamous. Above all else, infamous is just great fun and if the bombastic combat, solid traversal and comic book stylings don't appeal then perhaps the theme will?

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WalkerTR77

Also I should point out that I borrowed a ps3 to play through this and I did finish it. Looking back I didn't clarify that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.