Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infestation: Survivor Stories

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 17, 2012

Formerly called The War Z, this infamous clone of the popular ARMA II mod "DayZ" is best known for the many controversies surrounding its launch, subsequent removal from Steam, and the unapologetic stance of its developers.

The War Z Outrage

• 107 results
    BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BurBan_Snake

A Lot of grief has come to this game, and rightfully so, However I'd like to briefly share my opinion, and pose a question to the GB community.

Okay, Lets begin:

This game is decent, though it is obviously an unfinished product. The fact that it is on steam, touting its final features while its no where near the state that is being advertised is very misleading, and frustrating. While I like the game overall, there is a single thing that may force me to say "fuck off War Z", and here it is:

A few months ago, when the War Z was just released to the public as an alpha/beta product, I bought in at their $25 "early access sale" Price point. With this package, all i recieved was early access to the game, and the "special low price", as the finalized price was set to be $30. As I logged into steam today, and saw the true, final price of $15, with a few bonuses(guest passes) that I didn't recieve during the "special sale", I was outraged. While my $10 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, the false advertising was enough to piss me right the fuck off, and I was wondering if Any of YOU were tricked by the War Z as I was! It really made me feel as though I should have just waited until it was a "full release!"

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@kadash299 said:

A Lot of grief has come to this game, and rightfully so, However I'd like to briefly share my opinion, and pose a question to the GB community.

Okay, Lets begin:

This game is decent, though it is obviously an unfinished product. The fact that it is on steam, touting its final features while its no where near the state that is being advertised is very misleading, and frustrating. While I like the game overall, there is a single thing that may force me to say "fuck off War Z", and here it is:

A few months ago, when the War Z was just released to the public as an alpha/beta product, I bought in at their $25 "early access sale" Price point. With this package, all i recieved was early access to the game, and the "special low price", as the finalized price was set to be $30. As I logged into steam today, and saw the true, final price of $15, with a few bonuses(guest passes) that I didn't recieve during the "special sale", I was outraged. While my $10 isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, the false advertising was enough to piss me right the fuck off, and I was wondering if Any of YOU were tricked by the War Z as I was! It really made me feel as though I should have just waited until it was a "full release!"

theyve given early adopters double what they paid in in game currency a couple of patches ago

AND BY THE WAY, CALLED IT http://www.giantbomb.com/the-war-z/61-39063/this-game-is-screwed/35-571082/

im not saying its a coincidence but why was the outcry not yesterday when it came out, instead of the day a famous youtube celeb posted a video about it

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BurBan_Snake

I personally hadn't heard of Total Bis. Til today, But That was after I saw the $15 price cut.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Poppduder

Same thing happened to me.  Double in game currency matters shit-all to me when all I really want is a refund.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BurBan_Snake

@Poppduder said:

Same thing happened to me. Double in game currency matters shit-all to me when all I really want is a refund.
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@kadash299 said:

@Poppduder said:

Same thing happened to me. Double in game currency matters shit-all to me when all I really want is a refund.

i know its still not right im just saying at least they tried to give people some endowment for the price cut

Bleako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bleako

Aside from Diablo 3, I never really buy games that I end up being disappointed by. There's enough information on the internet including gameplay videos, reviews, previews articles and things like that to be able to tell whether a game is worth buying or not.

People have been complaining about WarZ for quite a while now. An old co-worker of mine played the beta for like 10 minutes and found out that it was pretty sub-par. Both of us have spent exactly $0 on this game.

Basically, the 'WarZ Outrage' is making more harm to me than the actual game because people are buying the game, asking for a refund and then making posts like these instead of learning how to use their money efficiently.

When you preorder a game, you're always taking a risk. Sure, you might end up saving money but that's only if the game turns out to be fun once it's released, or if the publishers don't pull off shit like the Steam price drop thing.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themangalist

@kadash299 said:

This game is decent, though it is obviously an unfinished product. The fact that it is on steam, touting its final features while its no where near the state that is being advertised is very misleading, and frustrating.

It's decent for an alpha, yes. I "invested" in Mount & Blade the same way but those guys made progress and released a great product in the end. But these guys outright skipped beta and released it like it was done, and I'm really skeptical if they'd even update the game as promised. I'm glad I didn't buy into it (it looked sketch even back when I discovered it), and I feel sorry for those who did.

@connerthekewlkid said:

AND BY THE WAY, CALLED IT http://www.giantbomb.com/the-war-z/61-39063/this-game-is-screwed/35-571082/

im not saying its a coincidence but why was the outcry not yesterday when it came out, instead of the day a famous youtube celeb posted a video about it

Sorry, but your thread made absolutely no sense to me when I read it yesterday. Took me a fair amount of "research" to make any sense of what you were talking about, so I'd say I like this one more.

asherrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By asherrd

@themangalist: I haven't followed this so I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but if they continue to update it post release, then it doesn't matter if it officially released or in beta. You, an alpha player, would be playing the same thing you are playing, regardless of if it had been officially released or still in beta. You'd be getting regular updates just as usual, and everyone else who bought it after the official release can still play now, and play the more final product, in a couple months or however long the game needed to be in beta to make it more of a finished product.

However, if they aren't continuing to update the game after the release then that is a different story.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By august

@connerthekewlkid said:

@kadash299 said:

Okay, Lets begin:

theyve given early adopters double what they paid in in game currency a couple of patches ago

Because a lot of people get their gaming news from him. Not everyone has heard about this game or the problems with it, but now they have.

What exactly is the problem here?

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@august said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@kadash299 said:

Okay, Lets begin:

Because a lot of people get their gaming news from him. Not everyone has heard about this game or the problems with it, but now they have.

What exactly is the problem here?

Im not saying there was a problem, im just saying that there was alot of outrage after that video came out like I thought

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Another day, another outrage.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By themangalist

@asherrd said:

@themangalist: I haven't followed this so I'm not sure if this is the case or not, but if they continue to update it post release, then it doesn't matter if it officially released or in beta. You, an alpha player, would be playing the same thing you are playing, regardless of if it had been officially released or still in beta. You'd be getting regular updates just as usual, and everyone else who bought it after the official release can still play now, and play the more final product, in a couple months or however long the game needed to be in beta to make it more of a finished product.

However, if they aren't continuing to update the game after the release then that is a different story.

Yes, alpha/"gone live" are only names which don't really matter, and it'd be premature to say War Z can't be amazing; but with all this controversy surrounding the devs, it's only natural that people are skeptical about the promises.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BurBan_Snake

OUTRAAAAAAAAAGEEEEEEEEE

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Holy shit you paid more than release day retail for this...

These are some rotten mother fuckers.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BurBan_Snake

@ArtisanBreads said:

Holy shit you paid more than release day retail for this...

These are some rotten mother fuckers.

my point exactly.

hangedtoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hangedtoaster

Dunno if this has been posted anywhere else within the forums but i figured I'd throw it up here it's an interview gamespy did with Sergey Titov, It's interesting to say the least 

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Terramagi

@hangedtoaster said:

Dunno if this has been posted anywhere else within the forums but i figured I'd throw it up here it's an interview gamespy did with Sergey Titov, It's interesting to say the least http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Sergey Titov?

The guy who coded fucking BIG RIGS?

IS IT ANY WONDER THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF SHIT?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@connerthekewlkid said:

@kadash299 said:

Okay, Lets begin:

Does whether or not you predicted it really matter? You keep harping on this, but who cares? Sure, TotalBiscuit gave the game some more publicity, but whether he made a video about it or not has absolutely zero bearing on any the complaints in 's post. They're either valid complaints or they're not; it doesn't matter whether some Youtube celebrity made a video or not.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Yeah, thanks for posting the gamespy thing, Honestly i'm talking to customer support right now trying to get a refund because fucking Prebuying a game on "Sale" then it being less than the true retail price is some bull fucking shit. and the fact that Sergio has 0 remorse for this shit is fucking ridiculous, fuck this game.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jsnyder82

Looks like a shitload of false advertising. And the guy doesn't seem to see anything wrong with it.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Terramagi said:

@hangedtoaster said:

Dunno if this has been posted anywhere else within the forums but i figured I'd throw it up here it's an interview gamespy did with Sergey Titov, It's interesting to say the least http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Sergey Titov?

The guy who coded fucking BIG RIGS?

IS IT ANY WONDER THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF SHIT?

THE PLOT THICKENS!

First comment on this youtube now:

"War z huh?"

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@connerthekewlkid said:

@kadash299 said:

Okay, Lets begin:

for fuck's sake, can you please quit linking the whole thing with some random youtube dude?

maybe you hold some serious grudge against that photobiscuit dude but this is just annoying.

every single friggin time you post you are shifting blame on that dude, WTF is wrong with you?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Terramagi

@sate2801 said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@kadash299 said:

Okay, Lets begin:

for fuck's sake, can you please quit linking the whole thing with some random youtube dude?

I know it's cool that you've got a rage-on for "some dumbass bit-part Youtube celebrity", but you're fucking lying if you think Total Biscuit isn't influential. That influences has caused many things, some good, some bad (WHY THE FUCK IS MY EMPIRE LOGO REPLACED WITH TOBUSCUS' STUPID FACE). The fact that this shitty game (that is a scam coded by the guy who made FUCKING BIG RIGS and bans massive amounts of people in order in order to get them to buy more copies of the game) is getting slammed because of him belongs in the former category.

unavailable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unavailable

I think there should be a mandatory warning on the Steam page that lets people know that Sergey Titov is the guy who who produced and programmed Big Rigs.

Avatar image for deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc
    deactivated-58f9a027d9bbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Unavailable said:

I think there should be a mandatory warning on the Steam page that lets people know that Sergey Titov is the guy who who produced and programmed Big Rigs.

really?! oh my god D:

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Terramagi

@sate2801 said:

@Unavailable said:

really?! oh my god D:

This is the ancient evil the Mayans warned us about.

He has returned from his last defeat, and has come to devour the souls of the living.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

Saw it on steam yestersay (first time I heard of that game) and was mildly interested. Took me about 10 minutes of research to stay away from the game for now.

TMBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TMBaker
    dandead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dandead

@TMBaker: Amazing read, thank you!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By breadfan

@TMBaker said:

Great interview with the war z dev (Executive Producer Sergey Titov) on the false steam store claims.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-war-z/1226980p1.html

Whoa. That dude seems shady as fuck. It's going to be interesting to see the fallout as a result of everyone's outrage.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Christoffer

Was this the year of the paid beta? Or is it just another sign of small studios needing money to finish their games?

(Shootmania, Path of Exile, Don't Starve, War Z, Towns, etc, etc)

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By triple07

The developers of this game seem like total assholes. There was this whole thing and a while back there was something even more disturbing to me (at least if true). There was a report from a former employee or moderator for the game that said people with a the most play time were getting their accounts banned in hopes they would buy the game again. I have no way of knowing if this is true but if true its totally fucked.

Also the game looks kinda bad even at $15 so I feel bad if you paid $30 and feel ripped off.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @Terramagi

@sate2801 said:

@Unavailable said:

really?! oh my god D:

This is the ancient evil the Mayans warned us about.

He has returned from his last defeat, and has come to devour the souls of the living.

So we have 3 days until Sergey Titov summons Quetzalcoatl with the rage-energy he's accumulated using Big Rigs and The War Z, basically.
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35  Edited By Giantstalker

Whatever, at least in Big Rigs, you could reverse your truck to like 180 billion miles per hour. Sergey was clearly on to something there.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SagaciousJones

@triple07 said:

There was a report from a former employee or moderator for the game that said people with a the most play time were getting their accounts banned in hopes they would buy the game again. I have no way of knowing if this is true but if true its totally fucked.

That would be this. Again, no way of knowing if it's true or just the former mod lashing out. Given the other reports, I'm more inclined to believe it now.

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By llamaegg

So I dunno about anyone else, but I would totally forgive the dudes if they just added Big Rig Racing to the game. Massive Multiplayer Online Zombie Survival and Big Rig Racing, or MMOZSBRR for short, would easily revolutionize gaming as we know it!

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

To be honest TotalBiscuit can be stuck up his own backside sometimes, ranting about this and ranting about that (that's all he does sometimes) but he was exactly right about War Z. Game looks simply awful and the whole scam/controversy around it is even worse.

hunttis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hunttis

I think the reason why he can't admit it's their fault is because then "the people" would have an admission of guilt and grounds for refunds or even fraudulent advertising on Steam, which would probably mean getting ejected from Steam.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40  Edited By granderojo

I've seen late generation first person shooters on the PS2 that had better textures and modeling of the environment than this game. Horrid.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DG991

Wait... Total biscuit is now known outside of StarCraft? I hate that twat. He has always been a drama queen.

But this whole thing looks fishy so he probably was right in this case.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#42  Edited By Forcen

@DG991:He is also a premium member on this site.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DG991

@Forcen said:

@DG991:He is also a premium member on this site.

I just typed up what I considered to be a thoughtful post about why I think he isn't a twat, but why he was awful for starcraft and why I don't like him as a youtube personality....

And when I hit the reply button my whole post went away and was replaced with an error....

ugh.....

But yea, that is cool that he is a premium member. His SOPA videos were nice. His SC2 casting was shit. /post

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: You are so fucking iffy, man.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By Forcen
    SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SlashDance
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By mnzy

Could somebody give me the link to the Total Biscuit(?) video? Can't find it.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SlashDance

@mnzy:

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mnzy

@SlashDance: Thanks.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.