WarZ trademark SUSPENDED

• 53 results
#1 Edited by Diablah (42 posts) -
#2 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Good. That wasn't their intended target but its clear they intended to be confused with Day Z.

#3 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Nothing like getting kicked when you're down.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

How do they let "Transmorphers" through, I wonder.

#5 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

daaaaamn.mov

#6 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

On their forums Sergei claims he wants this game to be one of the biggest releases of next year...and now this. I wonder how long before his entire company just goes bankrupt. 

#7 Posted by Toxeia (729 posts) -

@The_Laughing_Man said:

On their forums Sergei claims he wants this game to be one of the biggest releases of next year...and now this. I wonder how long before his entire company just goes bankrupt.

Maybe he meant sexual release of next year.

#8 Posted by laserbolts (5322 posts) -

So WarZ ripped off a movie title as well as DayZ. Christ what a shitshow. Hopefully they rename it to something not stupid.

#9 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Toxeia said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

On their forums Sergei claims he wants this game to be one of the biggest releases of next year...and now this. I wonder how long before his entire company just goes bankrupt.

Maybe he meant sexual release of next year.

I read the entire article. He is gonna get his ass sued. 
#10 Posted by Voxus (336 posts) -

Clearly Brad Pitt was not impressed with the Steam release.

#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Best part: he clearly doesn't know how the trademark system works as he is actively disputing the claims, saying that the trademark had been successful.

#12 Posted by Undeadpool (4942 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

How do they let "Transmorphers" through, I wonder.

Check out what happened with Asylum's Hobbit release. Hashtag BLOCKED!

#13 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre said:
Best part: he clearly doesn't know how the trademark system works as he is actively disputing the claims, saying that the trademark had been successful.
So what happens if he doesnt change the name? Lawsuits? 
#14 Posted by The_Nubster (2147 posts) -

@0blivion said:

Well, Brad Pitt don't impress me much.

#15 Edited by Diablah (42 posts) -
@TooWalrus:  China don't care, but yeah who knows
#16 Posted by Diablah (42 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: I think that if they don't change the name its likely that Paramount Pictures can sue and win with no questions asked. So it would be best for Hammerpoint Interactive to change the name.
#17 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Diablah said:
@The_Laughing_Man: I think that if they don't change the name its likely that Paramount Pictures can sue and win with no questions asked. So it would be best for Hammerpoint Interactive to change the name.
But from what it looks like. The head Dev does not know anything at all. 
#18 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

Best part: he clearly doesn't know how the trademark system works

Neither do I. I had no idea you could even do this type of thing.

#19 Posted by WalkerD (462 posts) -

Glad to see these guys going down in flames. It really does warm my heart.

#20 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1833 posts) -

i don't know whats worse the devs or the people trying to burn them at the cross

#21 Edited by Diablah (42 posts) -
#22 Posted by J12088 (452 posts) -

@Diablah said:

I feel bad for the people working on the game, the guys that really don't have anything to do with the business side of things. You do all this hard work just to in the end get crapped on because its managed poorly. It sucks for them.

http://warzscam.tumblr.com/post/38430069525/update-exclusive-war-z-developer-speaks-out-against

There happily working for them. Taking peoples hard earned money for some half arsed project thats making promises it can't keep. I wouldn't work for someone like that.

#23 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

@0blivion said:

But he's got the looks! Though whether or not he has the touch is TBD.

#24 Edited by Counterclockwork87 (671 posts) -

Good. I remember when I first saw this game on Steam and was shocked that it was named The War Z. To me it was soooo obviously aping both Day Z and World War Z that I thought they were ripe for legal action. They deserve to get sued if you ask me. Especially since there's all this backlash against the game now, Paramount DOES NOT want people to think this game is related in any way to the upcoming movie.

#25 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5262 posts) -

@Counterclockwork87 said:

Good. I remember when I first saw this game on Steam and was shocked that it was named The War Z. To me it was soooo obviously aping both Day Z and World War Z that I thought they were ripe for legal action. They deserve to get sued if you ask me. Especially since there's all this backlash against the game now, Paramount DOES NOT want people to think this game is related in any way to the upcoming movie.

Also "The War Z" TERRIBLE NAME!

#26 Posted by envane (1163 posts) -

i really do hope they manage to achieve their goal one day :/ all the lies and bullshit aside its sad to see some small amount of talent go to waste , (i couldnt program that game but thats not saying anything eheh)

#27 Posted by Wolfgame (754 posts) -

@envane said:

i really do hope they manage to achieve their goal one day :/ all the lies and bullshit aside its sad to see some small amount of talent go to waste , (i couldnt program that game but thats not saying anything eheh)

exactly, I think people are forgetting that their are other people working their that are putting everything they have into the product. They don't have control over how it's being manipulated. This game could change names, engines and go under extensive development for 6 months but their is so much drama swarming this project now that it has painted a negative image on everyone involved unfortunantly.

#28 Posted by Fearbeard (831 posts) -

That website is almost as obnoxious as the whole War Z thing in the first place.

#29 Posted by Gravier251 (217 posts) -

So the trademark was turned down/suspended on November 15th 2012, yet they released it officially (albeit briefly) a couple of weeks or so ago regardless? That seems like it could be problematic.

#30 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

They should name it ZombieW.

#31 Posted by granderojo (1788 posts) -

I voted for this as fiasco of the year in that fiasco thread. This is only cherry on the top. I've never wanted to aggressively hate something video game related all year, and I think Day Z is dumb.

#32 Posted by Beforet (2922 posts) -

@J12088 said:

@Diablah said:

I feel bad for the people working on the game, the guys that really don't have anything to do with the business side of things. You do all this hard work just to in the end get crapped on because its managed poorly. It sucks for them.

http://warzscam.tumblr.com/post/38430069525/update-exclusive-war-z-developer-speaks-out-against

There happily working for them. Taking peoples hard earned money for some half arsed project thats making promises it can't keep. I wouldn't work for someone like that.

A job's a job. You don't get to be picky in this economy, for this industry or any other. For the people working there, this might have been their first big(ish) name gig in developing (though I quick look at the page reveals that some of the developers had worked on Black Ops, so I don't know about that. Probably coders near the bottom of the totem pole trying to climb the ladder some). I hope they can find jobs elsewhere when this finally burns down.

And really, how did they not expect this to happen? Ignoring "World War Z" (which they should have noticed upon a minute of investigation), it's called WarZ. Everytime I hear about it, I'm thinking it's the retail release of DayZ. I don't know if you can trademark the name of a mod, but such a clear rip off was going to catch shit.

#33 Posted by Aronman789 (2676 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

They should name it ZombieW.

I fully support this action.

#34 Posted by yoshisaur (2723 posts) -

Gaming is a iterative when it comes to progression, but WarZ is just a shit-storm of ripping-off with little to no artist credibility. I think games should learn from each other, but what Hammerpoint is doing is the absolute definition of corporate greed without taking any personal care in your product. I'm so glad I skipped on the purchase.

#35 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

If you listen closely, you can hear the cruel mocking laughter on the wind.

IT'S MY LAUGHTER. I'M THE ONE LAUGHING.

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Word MarkTHE WAR Z
Goods and ServicesIC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold as a unit; downloadable software for use in connection with computer games; interactive multimedia computer game program

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: entertainment services, namely providing an on-line computer game; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number85682663
Filing DateJuly 20, 2012
Current Basis1B
Original Filing Basis1B
Owner(APPLICANT) OP PRODUCTIONS, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 11833 Mississippi Ave., Suite 100 Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90025
Attorney of RecordSteven A. Bercu, Esq.
Type of MarkTRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
RegisterPRINCIPAL
Live/Dead IndicatorLIVE
#37 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@Dagbiker: Live doesn't mean issued, smart guy.

You can look up the suspension process yourself if you weren't busy being so smug.

http://i.imgur.com/GYUNu.png

#38 Posted by TehBuLL (612 posts) -

Look. We all know the name was a cash grab from the second we saw it. End of story.

#39 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -

WAR Z sounded dumb anyways..  

#40 Edited by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

You can look up the suspension process yourself if you weren't busy being so smug.

Yah, perhaps i should work on my tone when directly copying and pasting from a website.

And sense no one has responded to the other thread where I am trying to give away my THQ bundle codes, and I cant post more then 2 times in a row. Here:

A8PNL-YA5EV-P0WRJ - Red Faction: Armageddon Path to War DLC

#41 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

@familyphotoshoot said:

Yah, perhaps i should work on my tone when directly copying and pasting from a website.

Sergey more or less said the same thing about it being "Live" 
#42 Posted by oraknabo (1464 posts) -

Well the book was a big hit before there ever was a movie and I was reminded of it just as much as Day Z when I heard about this game.

#43 Edited by RussianMartian (11 posts) -

While "live" doesn't mean "issued," it's important to note that "suspended" doesn't mean "rejected" either. All that a suspension means is that the trademark office won't make any determination about whether the mark can or cannot be issued until after that decide whether the World War Z mark will be issued. Once that mark issues, then the trademark attorney will examine the "The War Z" mark. It could be that the examining attorney will decide that the mark is too similar to an existing mark (including the World War Z mark that caused the suspension). The examining attorney could also decide, after more consideration, that the marks are different enough to coexist. All that this does is delay the examination until after a final disposition on the "World War Z" mark is reached.

#44 Posted by animathias (1186 posts) -
@laserbolts said:

So WarZ ripped off a movie title as well as DayZ. Christ what a shitshow. Hopefully they rename it to something not stupid.

My guess is they'll name it ZombiZ.
#45 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -
@animathias
@laserbolts said:

Dawn of the DeadZ
#46 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

It is also something to note is that you do not have to have something trademarked to release it. Trademarking just protects your ip from being takin advantage of. Though the whole system is pretty broken though.

#47 Posted by TooWalrus (13202 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@animathias
@laserbolts said:

Dawn of the DeadZ

SHIP IT!

#48 Edited by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Diablah said:

Don't feel bad, they didn't do too much work. They copy/pasted resources from a game that was already made (War, inc.) and released War Z in a state somewhere between Alpha and Beta.

#49 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Word MarkTHE WAR Z
Goods and ServicesIC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer game software and related instruction manuals and guides sold as a unit; downloadable software for use in connection with computer games; interactive multimedia computer game program

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: entertainment services, namely providing an on-line computer game; providing computer games that may be accessed via a global computer network; providing on-line information in the field of computer gaming entertainment

Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code(4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number85682663
Filing DateJuly 20, 2012
Current Basis1B
Original Filing Basis1B
Owner(APPLICANT) OP PRODUCTIONS, LLC LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY DELAWARE 11833 Mississippi Ave., Suite 100 Los Angeles CALIFORNIA 90025
Attorney of RecordSteven A. Bercu, Esq.
Type of MarkTRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK
RegisterPRINCIPAL
Live/Dead IndicatorLIVE

HAH, they filed the LLC in Delaware. That trend stopped having utility 12 years ago. Their corporate attorney made some BANK on their ignorance. What awful executives.

#50 Posted by DarthOrange (3864 posts) -
@xxizzypop said:

@The_Nubster said:

@0blivion said:

But he's got the looks! Though whether or not he has the touch is TBD.

Don't get me wrong, I think he is alright, but that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.