Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infestation: Survivor Stories

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Dec 17, 2012

Formerly called The War Z, this infamous clone of the popular ARMA II mod "DayZ" is best known for the many controversies surrounding its launch, subsequent removal from Steam, and the unapologetic stance of its developers.

You have to PAY REAL MONEY to revive yourself

• 83 results
    AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

If you want to be revived for free, you have to now wait 4 actual fucking hours.

But if you want, you can pay real money for a revive spawn.

The bad news just keeps on coming.

Is this the biggest scam of a game ever?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By ArtisanBreads

hahah what. This game is hilarious. And it's doing very well on Steam right now. I hope Valve does something and doesn't let this crap go on.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cmblasko

Going to play the devil's advocate here... how is this any worse than putting a quarter into an arcade machine in order to extend your playtime?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

The entire steam page about it is false advertisement. 

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By benpicko

@cmblasko said:

Going to play the devil's advocate here... how is this any worse than putting a quarter into an arcade machine in order to extend your playtime?

You also have to pay $15 to buy the game in the first place

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dungbootle

Maybe the first line of your post should have been in the thread title too.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
    deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this game and fuck the company. Honestly Valve needs to take this horse shit off their servers. I feel bad for anyone that bought into this.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Worst trend of 2012.: Free-To-Play mechanics in a boxed product. That's a huge load of horseshit and the more I hear about this game, the grosser is seems.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

Hey!

Don't play this game.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

At least if they do a quick look it should be amusing. 

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

I was about to say that according to the video TotalBiscuit put up it was a one hour respawn time, but then I saw you embedded it in your post. So ... is his video just old or when did this change to a 4 hour respawn happen? Also, I'm not condoning the mechanic at all. I think pretty much everything I've heard and seen on this game has been terrible and I will continue to avoid it like the plague. It blows my mind that so many people have actually bought into it. Uninformed masses.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Lukeweizer

4 hours is a long time to NOT be allowed to play the game you bought (predicting that you're playing 1 character). While the arcade machine arguement is suitable, you do have to pay for the game upfront. I almost want to make the arguement that if the wait time was 15 minutes or something, having the option to pay wouldn't be so offensive... but no... it's just offensive any way you try to spin it.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Well this game sounds like it will become a smash hit already...

killerklown907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By killerklown907

Oh shit, I almost bought this game. Good thing I saw this post, thanks for the heads up.

Also I hope the DayZ standalone doesn't have any crazy shit like this.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By abendlaender

Wow, the steam forums are just...wow

This game seems not thaaaat bad (still pretty bad) but how everything around it is handled, lying in the steam page, deleting threads on the forum, all the rumours about bans, "pay money to revive or wait 4 hours (it was only one hour earlier)......just wow.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Abendlaender said:

This game seems not thaaaat bad (still pretty bad) but how everything around it is handled, lying in the steam page, deleting threads on the forum, all the rumours about bans, "pay money to revive or wait 4 hours (it was only one hour earlier)......just wow.

What are the forums like? 
    Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like the idea of crazy long respawn times in a game as a neat mechanic for consequences. Hell monetizing it still works if you do it well but from what's indicated here the game is crap and it's all done poorly.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheHumanDove

People sure do overreact about this game. I got it a long time ago for like $15, and had lots of fun with it, knowing full well it was in an alpha/beta stage. Sure, call it a scam or whatever and you have to pay for a quick revival (it was always a timed revival: originally an hour wait), but I dont feel I was ripped off at all.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By envane

dont die then

idBloc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By idBloc

and the game is at the top of the "Top Sellers" list...

Not sure if this image is entirely right: http://i.imgur.com/j9Q3f.jpg?1

And there is this Tumblr http://warzscam.tumblr.com/

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DougQuaid

How is the game now compared to the alpha people have been streaming? From what I could tell, not enough zombies, rampant hacking, and everyone is a fucking bandit.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By abendlaender

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Abendlaender said:

What are the forums like?

Terrible. People are complaining about the game (rightfully) and some War Z Community Manager keeps deleting or locking threads. You don't see something as "scumy" as this often (at least I don't). It's just kinda amazing to read the amount of hate for this game. I guess it's more "enjoyable" if you didn't buy the game, cause wow.....just wow

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dungbootle
    themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By themangalist

@MariachiMacabre said:

Worst trend of 2012.: Free-To-Play mechanics in a boxed product. That's a huge load of horseshit and the more I hear about this game, the grosser is seems.

NO. The real worst trend is: "releasing" games in an alpha state. Minecraft did well but let that be the only example of a success. This game can't deliver any of the listed "features", and the devs could easily justify their incompetence and greed by saying it is still in alpha.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By connerthekewlkid

dont you have 5 character slots though?

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
    deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And this is after you actually pay $13+ for the game?...

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Andorski

Alex should review this game.

darkvare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkvare

can you log out and then log back in after 4 hours and revive? or do you have to wait logged in?

eSci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eSci

@cmblasko said:

Yes, but arcades died out around the the 90s and this is not an arcade game. Also, last time I checked you don't have to spend $15ish dollars first to buy into an arcade game.

But seriously though, that comparison was silly.

--

On topic: On top of that, if you buy items with REAL MONEY you lose them upon death, no questions asked. If you bought into this game, I recommend to do a little more research next time. If you bought in right away, well, I hope the lesson of not buying into something until you hear others opinions has sunk in.

Because seriously, the only reason I heard of this game was the insurmountable amount of negativity from the very start.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @eSci said:

@cmblasko said:

Yes, but arcades died out around the the 90s and this is not an arcade game. Also, last time I checked you don't have to spend $15ish dollars first to buy into an arcade game.

--

On topic: On top of that, if you buy items with REAL MONEY you lose them upon death, no questions asked. If you bought into this game, I recommend to do a little more research next time. If you bought in right away, well, I hope the lesson of not buying into something right away and wait for others opinions has sunk in.

Because seriously, the only reason I heard of this game was the insurmountable amount of negativity from the very start.

I think the issue with people buying it they might have hear about "DayZ" and see" war Z" and get confused. Not to mention the massive false advertising on the steam page for the game. 
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@eSci said:

@cmblasko said:

--

On topic: On top of that, if you buy items with REAL MONEY you lose them upon death, no questions asked. If you bought into this game, I recommend to do a little more research next time. If you bought in right away, well, I hope the lesson of not buying into something right away and wait for others opinions has sunk in.

I think the issue with people buying it they might have hear about "DayZ" and see" war Z" and get confused. Not to mention the massive false advertising on the steam page for the game.

most people bought it in beta when there wasn't a 24hour respawn timer

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mordukai

@ArtisanBreads said:

hahah what. This game is hilarious. And it's doing very well on Steam right now. I hope Valve does something and doesn't let this crap go on.

What can they do really? The only thing they can do is pull the game out but then they lose money. It's now up to the people who want to buy and voting with their money. Frankly if after all this bad news and people still are buying then they deserve to have their money exploited.

Poppduder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Poppduder

I really wish I didn't buy this fucking game.  I literally thought it was the stand-alone version of DayZ, by the DayZ dev and Bohemia.  Boy was I fucking wrong.

EDIT: this was closer to late October when I bought it, and I was really disappointed then, back when you could respawn in 59 minutes or whatever.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34  Edited By wrighteous86

@The_Laughing_Man said:

At least if they do a quick look it should be amusing.

God, if Brad was hosting the Quick Look CBS would be bankrupt by the end of it.

Love you Brad!

cronus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cronus42

@Poppduder: You fell into the exact trap the War Z team is trying to make. The have generated a ton of confusion in the market place. I'm going to assume since you are somewhat active on this site you spend a reasonable amount of time following games news. If they could get you with this, its easy to see how many others will make the same conclusion you did. It's shady, wrong and really disgusting honestly.

@dungbootle: That is possibly the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Someone should send Alex a copy along with that information. He would be THRILLED.

P.S. In case anyone isn't sure what that's referring to, a piece from the Gamespot of old: The Big Rigs video review

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    @connerthekewlkid

dont you have 5 character slots though?

It does but any items you bought with real money that are on your dead character are locked on that character until he respawns. TotalBiscuit's video from today is a great showcase for all the terrible things in the game.
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

What can they do really? The only thing they can do is pull the game out but then they lose money. It's now up to the people who want to buy and voting with their money. Frankly if after all this bad news and people still are buying then they deserve to have their money exploited.

I'd agree if they were not blatantly lying on their Steam page about the features and state of the game.

When so many legit games are struggling right now in Greenlight for this to be at the top of the sales charts? Gross.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

I'd agree if they were not blatantly lying on their Steam page about the features and state of the game.

When so many legit games are struggling right now in Greenlight for this to be at the top of the sales charts? Gross.

well its changed now

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

Damage has been done though. Plenty of sales already and most of the battle on these types of digital sales services is getting onto the "Top Selling Items" lists. From there sales take off.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

Damage has been done though. Plenty of sales already and most of the battle on these types of digital sales services is getting onto the "Top Selling Items" lists.

Have they added the stuff that was on their steam page yet? 
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

Damage has been done though. Plenty of sales already and most of the battle on these types of digital sales services is getting onto the "Top Selling Items" lists.

changed it to 1 map right now, but the servers now are 100 people

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @connerthekewlkid said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

What about the RPG elements and what not? 
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

No. I believe he's saying they altered the wording. I haven't seen it if they changed it myself.

The stuff that was blatant lies on the description are things you'd add in later builds and updates. The game didn't even mention that it was unfinished.

It'd be as if Minecraft sold at the start saying it was a final game and talking about features that are in the latest builds of it.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

skill trees were always planned for new years patch, well of course until they had to put this on steam and dig there own graves

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ArtisanBreads said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

No. I believe he's saying they altered the wording. I haven't seen it if they changed it myself.

The stuff that was blatant lies on the description are things you'd add in later builds and updates. The game didn't even mention that it was unfinished.

It'd be as if Minecraft sold at the start saying it was a final game and talking about features that are in the latest builds of it.

Wonder if we could write steam to try and have the game yanked. 
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@The_Laughing_Man said:

There's been blow back all over the internet about this so I'm sure they know. The ball is in Valve's court.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

TB also said something about the pictures on the steam page not really showing what was in the game. Stuff that could never happen. What was he talking about? 

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@The_Laughing_Man said:

TB also said something about the pictures on the steam page not really showing what was in the game. Stuff that could never happen. What was he talking about?

someone told me that steam employees write the game descriptions can someone confirm/deny this?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By themangalist

@The_Laughing_Man said:

http://warzscam.tumblr.com/post/37403063494/unrealistic-screenshots-from-the-war-z

@connerthekewlkid said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@mordukai said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

well its changed now

skill trees were always planned for new years patch, well of course until they had to put this on steam and dig there own graves

They took out the "experience" part I think. Now it just reads there is "no class, no levels". Pretty smart, I'd say.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@ArtisanBreads said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:

There's been blow back all over the internet about this so I'm sure they know. The ball is in Valve's court.

well technically its not lying anymore so id be pointless removing it now

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.