Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinite Space

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

A space exploration RPG developed by Nude Maker, produced by PlatinumGames, and published by Sega.

Anyone bought the game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Did anyone buy the game? If so what are your impressions on it?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jeust said:
    " Did anyone buy the game? If so what are your impressions on it? "
    I think they are gonna be tossing up a quick look up it soon. I saw one of the guys mention it on the side panel. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

@The_Laughing_Man:  

hummm interesting.  

Thanks for the heads up!

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

I'll be busting it out this evening when I'm finished with my research study.  I'm really excited, since this damn thing was supposed to come out last year!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

It came today actually, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm really looking forward to popping it in thanks to everything I've heard.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DrPockets000 said:
    " I'll be busting it out this evening when I'm finished with my research study.  I'm really excited, since this damn thing was supposed to come out last year! "
    O please tell us about it! It looks very cool. Maybe a quick tell of the game after you play? 
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DrPockets000

I will definitely do so!

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrPockets000

Only got about 30 minutes in before bed, but I'm liking it so far.  The scope is pretty intense, and the story shows a lot of promise.  There's definitely a feeling that you are part of a larger universe.  I haven't gotten to ship building yet, but I imagine that is soon.  I'm not sure what to think about the battles.  It's a weird sort of rock-paper-scissors system that I'm still getting the hang of, but I imagine that eventually there will be more depth.  Having sweeping camera angles on a DS game kind of works, but those blocky graphics aren't always the prettiest thing to look at.  I will say that the anime slant works (I was initially wary of it).  Overall, I'm liking it a lot so far.  If I wasn't so exhausted I would play more, but I look forward to putting some more time into it tomorrow.  It will probably take up a lot of my time in the coming weeks.

kratosauron0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By kratosauron0

I'm about 6 hours into this game, and so far, my impression has been hit and miss.   
    Great Things
    The game looks incredibly nice, with tons of unique and detailed 3D models, and they nail the futuristic aesthetic very weil.  Contrary to what you might hear, the voice acting is also very good, and the dialogue works well when it has to.  There's a TON of depth in ship customization, so you can spend quite a few hours just positioning ship modules to get the best ship you can with the given space, and preparing a crew so that you have access to the right special abilities you need, while also giving you necessary advantages in battle. 
    Average Things 
     Battles, while initially pretty cool, are at the 6-hour mark beginning to get repetitive.  At this point at least, you have two basic attacks, a dodge maneuver, a melee battle command, and up to two special attack.  A space battle therefore plays a lot like Rock-Paper-Scissors, but with good timing... if you want to win, you wait until your opponent attacks and counterattack, or attack appropriately based on what little information you have.  The battles get pretty fun at boss battles, when they start pulling special attacks and you need to learn attack patterns, but grinding is an extreme chore.  And while it's easy to get enough cash to customize ships without worrying about savings, actually buying said ships can take a while.
    Ehh Things 
    Melee battle is pretty awful.  It's the same Rock-Paper-Scissors element, except with a LOT more guesswork and a LOT less emphasis on timing.  Oh, and losing a melee battle is instant-Game Over, while losing a ship isn't always, but you don't get any benefit if neither side wins due to one side retreating.  Sound design (apart from voice acting) is also pretty terrible, too... explosions and music all sound crackly and don't provide the same immersion as the game. 

In all, the game is beginning to get EXTREMELY repetitive right now.... I hope it gets more interesting soon.  I'd like to launch fighters!

PaperPlain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PaperPlain

I'm almost 5 hours in and I'm loving it. The story has great potential to become really immersive but as of now it's pretty average. As for the combat system, I'm really enjoying it. Yeah, it's just rock-paper-scissors format but I love the visuals that go along with it. I guess I'm just a sucker for lasers and space ships. The melee parts are almost completely pointless though.  

Ship building, like was speculated, is extremely addicting granted you have the money to buy ships to customize. The potential crew members that you meet along the way are neat in that they all have their own specialties and can benefit you in different ways. The ship customization is probably Infinite Space's high point.  

I really haven't found the game all too repetitive so far. And the game really nails the space exploration atmosphere really well. The scenarios are well diversified but the plot progression is kind of slow and clunky as of the point I'm at right now. It seems like Infinite Space, in my eyes, could potentially be one of those "flawed masterpieces" that come along so seldom. Or maybe I'm over-exaggerating. Right now though my first impressions are good. I'm excited to delve deeper into the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.