Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinite Space

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 16, 2010

A space exploration RPG developed by Nude Maker, produced by PlatinumGames, and published by Sega.

Playing Infinite Space, any questions about the game?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

I've been tinkering with Infinite Space for some hours, as i picked it up today.  

The game is awesome! It looks like a Sid Meier's Pirates in space with stats and anime cutscenes. Has a generic plot of about a boy who wants to be a pirate, and other characters  just tag along with him for the ride.  

The difficulty is uneven with difficulty spikes from time to time, and the space combat is merciless as it doesn't give much to any room for error. But after learning the basic about combat everything starts getting into place for a great experience. The combats feel believable and convincing, giving an illusion inducing sensation.  

The game isn't as complex, as it can appear initially.   

It's highly recommended for anyone who can handle frustration and likes sci-fi scenarios, as it has the habit of presenting many times the Game over screen. 

If anyone has any question about the game, ask away.   

Gameplay Advice 

1. SAVE OFTEN! Even a small skirmish has a good chance to turn into a Game Over. 
    2. Do small trips each time you set a course, as with each stop the stamina of the crew will decrease and if you are attacked, and the attack bar will take longer to replenish for your attacks.
    3. Buy the blue prints if available in each station and upgrade your ship, with the devices created from them. 
    4. Tinker with your crew, as each character on your team have strenghts and weaknesses that can enhance the strength of your fleet.
    5. Play cautiously each battle. Even the starting enemies are tough, and with a bit of luck or not so much they'll take you to the starting screen. 
    6. Use dodge often, as a barrage attack will take up most of your energy, and even if a normal attack - that are more accurate and do more damage when you're in dodge - hits it won't that much. 
    7. Play attention to the color of the borders around the enemy ships avatars, as it gives indication of how replenished the action gauge of the enemy ship is. 
    8. Dodge is particularly effective against Barrage and Special attacks, Normal attack is more effective when in Dodge, and Barrage hits hard when not in Dodge. 
    9. Decide patiently, as just a series of enemy attacks can cripple your chances of a winning battle, and when attacking don't waste the green action gauge, as it will permit you to use dodge action after the attack to prevent a barrage attack. 

Cheers
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Hrm, i don't like game over screens much. I prefer just flowing from start to finish. I think I might be able to put that aside for Platinum Games though...

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

I'll be getting this soon, hopefully when I pick up a DSi XL next month.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By rallier

Which chapter are you at?

Combat gets a bit tricky when fighters come to play though but my "pound the hell out of their weak ships first so that their barrage attack does little damage" still works quite well.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeust
    @AgentJ: Yep, and it gets really frustrating sometimes.  Right after the part where Jeff lost in the Quicklook, there one really tough moment for example, but after a while you get used to it, and the tactics start to become more easy to perceive. After a while gets tough again. It's has a  roller coaster difficulty, But the combats are really engrossing and fun. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jeust
    @Linkyshinks: That's a great buy! :) 

But be prepared to a bit of frustration. :p 

@Rallier said:
    " Which chapter are you at?  Combat gets a bit tricky when fighters come to play though but my "pound the hell out of their weak ships first so that their barrage attack does little damage" still works quite well. "
    End of chapter two.  

Yep. That and having attention to the formation of the adversary squadron, as the game has the nasty habit of focusing the further away ship.  

Ah! that leads me to some advice on the gameplay. I'm going to edit the topic. 

And as you are further in the game than i am, feel free to give advice to everyone. :)
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rallier
    @Jeust: I'm 28 hours in already. At the end of chapter 3 you'll get yourself in what i thought to be the hardest fight in the game, you'll really have to invest heavily in your fleet to beat that opponent, Chapter 3 also has an incredible string of story events. 

One tactic that is quite useful is to make a "tank" ship with the highest defence and mobility rating as possible and placing that one on the front line. It is more a tactics that is better for the later game because money will be quite a drag to collect in the early game.

The auto focus can indeed be quite bothersome especially when you start ranking up your gauge speed which makes the game a lot faster.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @Rallier:  

Nice! I'm about to buy a new ship. i'll start using that tactic.  

Have you ever felt the desire of throwing your DS because of the game? :p
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rallier
    @Jeust: Chapter 3....
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Just how much space is Infinite Space?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @Rallier said:

" @Jeust: Chapter 3.... "

I bet. The beginning of Chapter 2 was hell for me. I needed a lot of trial and error to succeed. The game sometimes is immensely frustrating.  Having to guess the length of the enemy's range, its strategy - that variates - and some other components, sometimes is really difficult and tiring.

@ajamafalous

said:

" Just how much space is Infinite Space? "

Infinite. :p
    TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By TheWesman

*sigh* It's like an emotional roller coaster as I read this thread.  One makes it sound impossible, the next says something awesome about the game.  I just can't figure out what to do!  I've been anticipating this game for months now, so I really want to go buy it today, but now I'm afraid it won't be fun until I'm 30 hours into it or something.  haha

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By MisterMollusk
    @TheWesman: Oh it's fun right from the start. Once you get your first ship, crew, etc, make sure you read the help files at whatever port you're currently at. There's a lot explained there that isn't in explained in the game. But yeah, the game is pretty awesome. Combat can be difficult as all hell at some points, but when you beat a boss with only a sliver of health left, the feeling makes it all worth it. 

(Pro Tip: turn auto save on in the settings, your autosaved game will be at the very bottom of your saved games list)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.