Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinite Undiscovery

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Sep 02, 2008

An exclusive Xbox 360 RPG from the creators of Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile. Unfolding in a game world which changes in real time, the player's choices will spin a tale of "unknown discoveries" and span multiple weaving story situations.

infinite undiscovery vs tales of vespera

Swat20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Swat20

alright guys im just wondering which i should pick up, does this have a better story or does the new tales game?

jamBOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By jamBOT

I've been playing Tales of Vesperia, and so far I like it.  Not love it.  It's a little slow to start off with, but as long as you approach this game with the attitude of "This is a Japanese RPG -- in every single respect of the word", then you'll be fine.  Now, I don't mean that statement in any sort of racist or negative way.  We all know that JRPGs are very different from American RPGs.  I'm just saying to keep an open mind about it, is all.  From the opening anime scene, to the way the characters look, and how the story unfolds.  

The main character Yuri, well... he looks like a girl -- there's NO getting around that.  However, they gave him a very masculine voice, which I am so glad they did that, because it helps with liking him.  Also, they made him a poor kid from the low end of town, who's always in trouble, this makes him more relatable.  Just some guy with problems, who makes mistakes -- He's more of a "light weight" bad boy, and less of a drag queen.

Yuri travels around with, a dog, a princess, and a some weird kid.  The interaction between them is cute.  Nothing to write home about.  It's not like the writing and dialog is SO funny -- because it isn't.  It's just cute.  The best way I can describe the over all feel of this game is --- Anime.  It's like being inside an Anime episode, and you're there too.  It's looks beautiful.

The game play is not bad.  ToV has it's own versions of "gambits", now before you get upset about that fact, this game needs it.  You cannot kept track of all that's going on without them.  The battle screens are like a cluster f__k of craziness.  So you need them to sort things out, or the other characters will just stand around, while you're getting your ass handed to you.  

However, these gambits are SO MUCH easier than, Final Fantasy 12.  Believe me, after 180 hours and 2 play through of FF12 -- I knew Gambits inside and out, no problem.  ToV "gambits" are way easier, and you don't need a book or programming skills.  Also, there's no automatic save feature, you HAVE to save at the save crystals (or in this case -- save books).  Because, well you don't have a choice, if you die, you'll going back to the last save point, wherever that was (and no matter how many times you have to repeat it over again).

Now, I can't tell you which of these 2 games to buy, because I bought both of them.  I love RPGs -- so I'm a bit "fanboy" in this department.  RPGs are like my favorite thing ever.  I like Tales of Vesperia, but it's slow going.  It's NOT Final Fantasy, and does not play like it.  AT ALL.  So keep that in mind when you make your decision.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By pause422

From what I've heard Tales of Vesperia is one of the best JRPGs to come out in a while, and Infinite Undiscovery is a complete disappointment.(not from just looking at reviews, from people who like them as their opinions.)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Shadow

Tales of Vesperia is a fantastic game.  I'm on the last boss right now.  It's just fantastic....but some of the stuff gets kind of confusing during the end.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Bear

I am really enjoying Tales of Vesperia, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a JRPG.

However, if you would like to spend less money, Infinite Undiscovery is on sale for $18.95.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By DJ_Lae

Tales of Vesperia is an excellent JRPG - Infinite Undiscovery is one notch above garbage.

I suffered through 15 hours of Infinite Undiscovery before I couldn't take it any more. Generic characters, terrible story, repetitive combat (you play as one dude with only one or two useful moves), and tons of fetch quests...yuck.

Its sole redeeming quality is the amount of crafting available and the complexity, but getting to higher levels in that requires a bit of grinding, so it's not all good.

I would strongly advise against playing it, although if you're hell-bent, a price of $10 or less would be a tolerable entry point.

Lumieres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lumieres

I would say Tales of Vesperia.

I'm on my second playthough and  loving it.

I have both games and although Infinite Undiscovery isn't all that bad of a game, it definitely isn't a favourite. You'll quickly find the game repetitious and you'll be doing a lot of backtracking throughout the entire game, which I found to feel a lot like grinding, a feeling I hate.

peeontree1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By peeontree1

So far I have not met someone that, no offense, can appreciate the epicness of the Tales Series' stories. They are simply epic. Yes, gameplay is repetitive and addicting at the same time, but if you can last an entire Tales game, the weaker of us, hehe me, mite be brought to tears. Or have a huge smile on our faces. Basically what I'm saying is that if you LOVE dramatic stories you HAVE  to pick up tov. Oh sorry, tales is better lol. But cqan someone please respond because I almost feel lonely that no one else realy LOVES tov's story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.