Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Blade: Dungeons

Game » consists of 1 releases.

Infinity Blade: Dungeons was a planned prequel to Infinity Blade I set to be released sometime in 2013, featured during the unveiling of the third generation of iPad.

Infinity Blade: Dungeons Goes "On Hold" As Epic Shutters Impossible Studios

• 101 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    Officially on hold.
    Officially on hold.

Back in August, Epic announced that it was picking up some chunk of the team formerly known as Big Huge Games--one of the studios impacted by the implosion of the 38 Studios--and giving them Infinity Blade: Dungeons, the Diablo-like action-RPG set in the same universe as Chair Entertainment's Punch-Out!! with swords franchise for iOS. The team was branded Impossible Studios.

About three days ago, I started wondering what the heck was going on with Infinity Blade: Dungeons, since it looked pretty interesting when I saw it back around E3 last year. Today we got our answer.

In a message posted to Epic's official company blog, Epic founder Tim Sweeney gets right to the point. Epic is closing Impossible Studios, with "ultimately it wasn't working out for Epic" given as the reason for the closure. Epic is, however, allowing the team at Impossible to keep its name and logo, giving them the opportunity to reform under that name, if desired.

As a result of all this, Infinity Blade: Dungeons is now officially on hold.

I'm probably supposed to provide some sort of meaningful commentary here, but I don't really know what to think. I'm just sort of shocked. That's nuts.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff
    Officially on hold.
    Officially on hold.

Back in August, Epic announced that it was picking up some chunk of the team formerly known as Big Huge Games--one of the studios impacted by the implosion of the 38 Studios--and giving them Infinity Blade: Dungeons, the Diablo-like action-RPG set in the same universe as Chair Entertainment's Punch-Out!! with swords franchise for iOS. The team was branded Impossible Studios.

About three days ago, I started wondering what the heck was going on with Infinity Blade: Dungeons, since it looked pretty interesting when I saw it back around E3 last year. Today we got our answer.

In a message posted to Epic's official company blog, Epic founder Tim Sweeney gets right to the point. Epic is closing Impossible Studios, with "ultimately it wasn't working out for Epic" given as the reason for the closure. Epic is, however, allowing the team at Impossible to keep its name and logo, giving them the opportunity to reform under that name, if desired.

As a result of all this, Infinity Blade: Dungeons is now officially on hold.

I'm probably supposed to provide some sort of meaningful commentary here, but I don't really know what to think. I'm just sort of shocked. That's nuts.

smiddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By smiddy

Never even heard of it.

Redsox44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Redsox44

That's dumb, at least they get to keep their sweet logo.

alexpiercey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By alexpiercey

That's really weird. What could they have done to get "put on hold"?

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Alekss

aaaghhh

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By buft

Crazy stuff, i dont even know what too think

KillerPidgeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KillerPidgeon

@Redsox44 said:

That's dumb, at least they get to keep their sweet logo.

It is a pretty schweet logo to be fair.

EDIT: There is something that smells off about this news though.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By vaiz

Jay Z doesn't approve.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Alekss

@KillerPidgeon said:

It is a pretty schweet logo to be fair.

EDIT: There is something that smells off about this news though.

Maybe Jeff is in his underwear again....

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By onan

For all their effort, they couldn't make the Impossible possible.

No Caption Provided
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

seems like the big huge games guys can't get a decent break

silentbob251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By silentbob251

That must really suck for all those people forced to endure two studio closings in less than a year. I bet some are wondering if the gaming industry is even for them anymore. Could lose some good talent. Wouldn't blame them a bit though. What a shame.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

What the hell? Why hire on a bunch of people and open a studio just to shut it down with no product released? What do they mean it wasn't working out for them? The product was bad? The studio was on an inflated budget? Epic is in trouble?

This is just...weird.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By iamjohn

Maybe there's some truth to all that talk about Epic getting out of making games after all...

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Why would Epic do this? That can't feel good for the people at Impossible Studios. I liked KOA: Reckoning. Hope they get to keep making games. So much studio closure lately. It's a bummer.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By Vinny_Says

@jakob187 said:

What the hell? Why hire on a bunch of people and open a studio just to shut it down with no product released? What do they mean it wasn't working out for them? The product was bad? The studio was on an inflated budget? Epic is in trouble?

This is just...weird.

or maybe the guys are the problem, seeing how they went through 2 closures already....

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Alekss

The end of this generation is fucked

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zekhariah

@ripelivejam said:

seems like the big huge games guys can't get a decent break

Or the more talented big huge people took off to more stable employment before 38 studios had imploded, and the place is less of an asset than anticipated. Although that is the really negative interpretation, and it could just be that the integration side of it is not working due to time zones, etc.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SomeDeliCook

This, big names leaving Epic, and nothing really huge besides the new engine coming from Epic gives me the feeling they are either under hard times or are not giving a single shit about making games anymore and instead just focusing on graphics. Considering how many companies license the engine, I doubt its the former

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Lukeweizer

Those poor people. Laid off twice in less than a year.

gtracer442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gtracer442

Ouch... Right in the heart. I hate it when a studio closes. Call me when there's actually something good for once.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

@Vinny_Says said:

@jakob187 said:

This is just...weird.

or maybe the guys are the problem, seeing how they went through 2 closures already....

Yes, I'm sure the sub-studio who was bought specifically to turn the game they were making into a side-story for the incomplete MMO, and ended up being the only part of the company to put out anything with the 38 Studios name on it, were the problem there. Great logic.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jeff

@SomeDeliCook said:

This, big names leaving Epic, and nothing really huge besides the new engine coming from Epic gives me the feeling they are either under hard times or are not giving a single shit about making games anymore and instead just focusing on graphics. Considering how many companies license the engine, I doubt its the former

Keep in mind that Tencent picked up a minority stake in Epic last year, which probably meant that all the big-time stakeholders (meaning the guys that seem to keep leaving the company) got paid. I suspect you're right about that company focusing more on its engine development and licensing business down the road.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mellotronrules

that's a bummer- but epic is providing severance, and they did give them a parachute from 38 studios (even if it was ultimately fleeting). hopefully they have some leadership to reform under.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

What the hell!?!?! :((

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cluter

@Jeff said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Keep in mind that Tencent picked up a minority stake in Epic last year, which probably meant that all the big-time stakeholders (meaning the guys that seem to keep leaving the company) got paid. I suspect you're right about that company focusing more on its engine development and licensing business down the road.

So what would happen to the Unreal Tournament IP? Maybe another 3rd party will develop it if there's ever another UT game?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn

@Jeff said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

I don't really understand what the impetus is for Epic to do this, aside from the key people wanting to cash out and retire. They make more money on the engine obviously, but it's not like their games weren't selling, Bulletstorm excepted. There's probably no good answer for this, but why throw everything out the window to focus the company on one part of the product when it doesn't seem like the engine is going to be improved any by the greater focus?

@shatteringlast said:

So what would happen to the Unreal Tournament IP? Maybe another 3rd party will develop it if there's ever another UT game?

I'm guessing it's dead, considering UT3 did not do so well for them. (Though let's be honest, it was a pretty mediocre UT.)

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By abendlaender

Oh man, this is tragic....

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SomeDeliCook
    @shatteringlast said:

@Jeff said:

@SomeDeliCook said:

Unreal Tournament would be better in a 3rd party's hands anyways. UT3 was honestly just an engine showcase and it was the first UT game that Digital Extremes wasn't involved with. 
    If Unreal Tournament was given to People Can Fly, I can see amazing things coming from it 
    *edit I take back what I said, Unreal Championship 2 was the first non-DE Unreal game, and it was amazing.
    reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By reisz

That's insane. As unlikely as it is I hope we find out the impetus behind this decision, bankable developers, bankable engine, bankable franchise, bankable genre then shut down in a snap? What was going on back there?

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Elwoodan

:( I really enjoyed Infinity Blade, was reasonably excited for dungeons too, they did cool stuff for a phone game.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGorilla

What the hell is going on with Epic?

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nekroskop
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By The_Nubster

This lends credence to the theory of Epic getting out of games.

Just please let Chair make another Shadow Complex, and then you can leave games, okay? Please?

radioactivez0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By radioactivez0r

This makes the initial studio forming seem like a really short-sighted, poorly thought out PR stunt.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Cluter

Good points on UT3... however I'll always have a spot in my heart for UT 2004.

seamus85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By seamus85

wtf epic

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DaMisterChief

Jeff writing a article, THERE IS A GOD. No but very cool of epic for pretty much giving these people a job and a paid time to look for one

Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Binarynova

That's. Weird. Still, I think Infinite Blade would have been a great title for the Playstation Move. Maybe this will somehow break them from the iOS leash?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By iamjohn

@shatteringlast said:

Good points on UT3... however I'll always have a spot in my heart for UT 2004.

As you should, because UT2k4 is god tier.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By theimmortalbum

Hov's crackin' that can open again.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By joshthebear

Man, WTF?

cannedstingray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cannedstingray

Apparently the game was delayed into 2013, so it was going to be a 2012 release. Doesn't seem like a lot of time for a studio to build and release a game. I'm guessing they were missing milestones, or at least quality was sub par.. However, it still seems like an unrealistsically short dev cycle.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#44  Edited By Kidavenger

How long till the Kickstarter gets posted...

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cybexx

Yeah it really feels like Epic is getting out of game development.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By Deranged

Wow, that doesn't bode well for either Epic or Impossible.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By colourful_hippie

Well I didn't see that coming.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By Tennmuerti

Not surprised if I think about it.

KoA:Reckoning wasn't all that hot and had numerous core design flaws, it tried to do some grand things, but outside of the fresh and solid melee combat in an action RPG it really had nothing else to offer that wasn't done several times better in other games.

Now combine that with the fact that it's only a part of that team, a team that fractured, it's quite possible that they simply could not pull off what Epic demanded from them, and there really can be a dozen and one reasons for that, unrealistic expectations morale, unfamiliar work conditions, different corporate culture, bad team combo, etc, etc ...

Epic saying "ultimately it wasn't working out for Epic" is the corporate equivalent of saying "it's not you it's me" in a relationship, you don't want to hurt the other party's feelings (in this case you don't want to say bad things about them as they are let go, to hurt their chances of finding further employment as little as possible)

Kinda cynical way to look at it, but it's not surprising in the least, even if it is a bummer.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Draxyle

That is pretty tragic. At least those dudes got payed an extra half year and moreso than they would have otherwise (assuming they couldn't find jobs elsewhere), but this is a crying shame. Not exactly good PR for Epic either to shut down the studio that they "saved".

At least they're allowed to continue their work on their own if they so choose to, but I can't imagine they can scrounge up funding for that.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50  Edited By granderojo

So it's an iOS loot rpg? I can see why Epic wanted to shit can it...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.