Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Ward

Company »

Founded by ex-2015 employees, Infinity Ward is a game development company known for its highly acclaimed Call of Duty franchise.

about all of the IW staff leaving...

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By DystopiaX

So if you haven't heard yet, all of the lead designers/programmers/artists for IW have left the company. Don't know where they're going, but I'd guess Respawn Entertainment, the new company founded by West and Zampella, the former IW heads who left the company. Now, we still don't know which lawsuit is telling the truth, but in this news seems to be pretty telling: why else would all of the design heads leave if they weren't pissed at IW? Of course, they could all just want to work at Respawn, but it seems like either Activision really was being assholes. Even if they didn't do what West/Zampella claimed they did, the fact that they're leaving must at least mean they haven't been nice overlords for the past 3 years if all of the staff are inclined to believe west/zampella's side of the story. 

Now all that's left to do is see if they all join respawn. that might explain it, but I doubt it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DystopiaX

So if you haven't heard yet, all of the lead designers/programmers/artists for IW have left the company. Don't know where they're going, but I'd guess Respawn Entertainment, the new company founded by West and Zampella, the former IW heads who left the company. Now, we still don't know which lawsuit is telling the truth, but in this news seems to be pretty telling: why else would all of the design heads leave if they weren't pissed at IW? Of course, they could all just want to work at Respawn, but it seems like either Activision really was being assholes. Even if they didn't do what West/Zampella claimed they did, the fact that they're leaving must at least mean they haven't been nice overlords for the past 3 years if all of the staff are inclined to believe west/zampella's side of the story. 

Now all that's left to do is see if they all join respawn. that might explain it, but I doubt it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm glad that one of Activision's leading studios is now basically dead. They are all that is wrong with the gaming industry and I enjoy it when I see their franchises crash and burn. I hope Respawn entertainment gets it's shit together and releases modern warfare 3 in 2013 under EA, then maybe they won't be under pressure to release overpriced DLC or meet tight deadlines.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DystopiaX
    @zudthespud: I doubt MW3 is coming anytime soon, from Respawn at least ( i believe Activision will continue development until ordered not to do so by court) because lawsuits take awhile. 

I also remember when EA was the evil empire, lol. rather than Activision's demise I want them to do what EA did. Maybe fire Kotick (unless he gains a soul and cares more about the games). Do something like EAP (EA Partners), where small studios like Double Fine produce and own their IPs and EA just publishes it for them. Definitely stop pulling crap like this, acquiring then shutting down awesome studios, etc.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By vidiot

Best of luck to them. Personally I'm pretty ambivalent with what happened. I'm pretty sure Activision still owns the CoD IP, and subsequently Modern Warfare. There will be a MW3 one way or another: there's simply too much money involved. Whether or not the remnants of IW will be working on it is another matter. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DystopiaX
    @vidiot: Yes, but West and Zampella's lawsuit claim that they own the Modern warfare titles, so they could make an MW3 without the CoD heading. If they win then they'll get the IP, but for right now it's still Activision's.
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Gabriel

You'll know Infinity Ward's oficially dead if Robert Bowling jumps ship.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By cinemandrew

...And that's why Activision should have tried harder to diversify. The majority of their income comes from their 3 biggest IPs (WoW, CoD/Modern Warfare, and the "Hero" games). They're set to lose a large part of their income from this whole ordeal. Granted, the average consumer doesn't know, or care about the inner-workings of IW/Activision, but if their next product doesn't live up to the pedigree they've established, they're going to lose customers in the years to follow. I'm really glad that this turned out in EA's favor. They're certainly not without fault (far from it), but I can respect what they've been trying to do in recent years. They've been experimenting with new IPs, and branching out instead of sitting on a few proven successes. I'm very curious to see what comes out of Respawn in the years to come.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By the8bitNacho

The problem I see here is that Activision may start eying Blizzard in the future.  Why?  Because they can fire the top guys, sit back and laugh while the rest of the studio follows suit, and then suddenly they completely control Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft.

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By composite

As far as I'm concerned, Infinity Ward is a hollow shell of the studio it once was, and Activision's utter exploitation of CoD is to blame. Look at all the positive things people were saying about CoD4, how it dethroned Halo 3, everyone played and loved that game, I can't remember anyone bashing that game like MW2 has been, and rightfully so with overpriced DLC and half-assed debugging attempts. I hope the rash of people leaving IW causes more people to leave the studio, maybe for Respawn, so they can get their IP and the royalties deserved, if they stay with Activision, they are screwed.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Brunchies

Yep, Activisions decisions are now coming back to bite them on the ass. Maybe this will be a wake up call to Activision to turn their act around but I doubt it as long as Kotick is in charge. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Kombat said:
    " The problem I see here is that Activision may start eying Blizzard in the future.  Why?  Because they can fire the top guys, sit back and laugh while the rest of the studio follows suit, and then suddenly they completely control Diablo, Warcraft, and Starcraft. "
    Won't happen. Blizzard owns the best selling games of all time, and Activision and blizzard are the same company. They ALREADY own all of those properties, so they'd be gutting their own company. It's already under their control. They own all of the IPs. 
    @Brunchies
    said:
    " Yep, Activisions decisions are now coming back to bite them on the ass. Maybe this will be a wake up call to Activision to turn their act around but I doubt it as long as Kotick is in charge.  "
    To be fair, I think a lot of people demonize Kotick. Not that he doesn't deserve it, but it's definitely a lot worse than he should be. The reason why people hate him is because he sees games as a business, whereas we'd like to romanticize things and think that studios should make the best games regardless of money. He has made some asshole decisions, like gutting underperforming studios, but IT MAKES SENSE FROM A BUSINESS PERSPECTIVE. He's saving money. I dont like how he made a shit ton of GH, Tony Hawk, and soon CoD titles, but again it makes sense because the more units they have out, the more money they're going to make (at least until the brands suck). Also, not all of this is entirely his decision. Other people make these decisions too, and Kotick isn't solely responsible. My point is, firing Kotick may not be the answer because he wasn't totally responsible for all of these decisions- he had help from other leaders in teh company.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By FLStyle

Great video here with a roll-call on who's gone. MW3 isn't going to have much of a story if it stays in Activision's hands

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.