Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Infinity Wars

Game » consists of 0 releases.

Animated Online Digital Trading Card Game (dTCG) currently in beta. Developed by Lightmare Studios.

Anyone trying this out?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I saw that this was "launched" on September 5th, with the usual array of plaudits and encomiums. Anyone try it out? Does it have a decent single-player mode? I'm always tempted by card games, but I'm also a little weary of games that are super-multiplayer-focused.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By splodge

@rorie said:

I saw that this was "launched" on September 5th, with the usual array of plaudits and encomiums. Anyone try it out? Does it have a decent single-player mode? I'm always tempted by card games, but I'm also a little weary of games that are super-multiplayer-focused.

Gonna download it and give it a go. Looks interesting.

EDIT - And for anyone as confused as I was

encomiumɛnˈkəʊmɪəm/

noun

formalplural noun: encomiums

1. a speech or piece of writing that praises someone or something highly.
      synonyms:eulogy, speech of praise, panegyric, paean, accolade, tribute, testimonial,compliment; More
    afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like card games, so I'll try it out.

Rolkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll give it a go, nothing better to do anyway.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akyho

@rorie:

I have played about two hours of it, I like it and has several single player campaigns that as you play will unlocked Decks and cards based on the faction you were playing as. So it is not stingy on the cards and thus is not behind a pay wall to feel like progression is to be bought. You earn stuff through leveling up and doing achievements so the cards you get are not fit for the initial themes however hint at a larger scheme of decks.

It has a different mode of combat instead of a one field for attack and defend they are separate. So you have to chose cards for defense which only damage cards that attacked it and the attack side attacks the opponent's defense field and if there is nothing on the defense you attack the main life points.

There is a support field which is a pool of cards you played a turn or more before meaning ALL cards unless stated otherwise must travel through the support field., this is like a reserve slot so you can choose which field they go on or stay safe and power up, use their abilities or what ever. Also a Commanders field were some random cards are put in at the start and you can put them on the field or use their abilities without going through the support field.

Lots to do with just SP which builds you up for playing MP.

I find it very decent.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It is a pretty good game. There are a lot of factions and they are all different. You take your turns simultaneously with the other player so there is not much waiting around and brings up some good guessing games with spells. There is a long single player campaign mode that unlocks cards for each faction. Getting new cards is a little slow for free to play players, like Hearthstone. Deck building is interesting with the commanders, you pick 3 cards to be your commanders and they are in a separate zone from your hand and can be played and activated from the beginning of the game. So I would say it is better than Hearthstone but not as good as Sol Forge.

OmnislashF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OmnislashF8

I've been playing it for a little over a month now after my annual "hey I feel like trying a new free card game" google search and I can safely say that the game is worth at least a try. Mechanically, Infinity Wars is pretty unique as it falls into one of those only possible digitally concepts where both players plan out their moves at the same time and, once finished, click a button which resolves everything in a player initiative which swaps each turn (i.e. If I have initiative the first turn that means my spells and attacks will resolve first. Next turn the opponent takes initiative and thusly has everything of theirs resolve first and so on and so forth). Unlike MTG or Hearthstone (from what I've adsorbed through viewing) attackers and blockers are not declared individually but rather when placing a unit into play you decide whether they end up in the attack or defense zone; attackers will attack the first [defined leftmost] defender if there are units in your op's defense zone, with each of your attackers hitting that unit until it dies. Further attacks then hit the now shifted leftmost defender if present otherwise the damage goes to the op's life. What results is a great game of predicting what your opponent will do, how they will shift their cards, and bluffing to a larger extent than other other card game I've played. There's also a command zone which defines via each card's faction in the zone what cards from which faction(s) your deck can use. It's an interesting and unending personal touch to deckbuilding that, at least from my experience, makes it improbable to face decks you've already gone against.

There's a hefty campaign that allows you to unlock starter decks for each of the numerous factions, some tutorials and challenges to build up your abilities, and some rather bland pre-built AI decks that you can fight to gain experience and in-game currency. You can trade cards, purchase packs and pre-built decks using either the earned or purchased currency, play against humans in casual or ranked matches, draft much the way you can in Hearthstone, and can even invite people to games and still earn exp and currency (something the Might and Magic FTP card game lacks for whatever reason).

The game is on a good development cycle and it seems like new sets of cards come out every few months so there is a good future in sight but, like most every card game, it isn't the greatest on your own. Multiplayer is key not only because the AI isn't competent yet, but because you gain double the rewards for playing humans; if you want to level up faster or gain some amount of the free currency (which accrues absurdly slow) you will almost always find yourself in the matchmaking queses instead of beating up on the lame AI.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie Been playing some of the campaign, I really like it. There is an obvious depth to be gained from the cards, and the way the fights are structured allow you to react quickly to what your opponent is doing. It seems pretty cool. I am gonna keep playing the campaign until I feel confident enough to take on a bit of multiplayer.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Downloaded this last night after @rorie played it on UPF. The card animations and music are what sucked me in.

I'm not a card game player. I played with the Pokemon cards (still have them >.>) when I was young but that was it. Also have no interest in virtual card games because they didn't exactly live up to what would require to get me in.

This seems alright. I really like the card animations, art style, and music. That's the sort of stuff that would get me in. I think the Magic cards always looked awesome but I don't know anything else beyond that. Hearthstone seemed like it had decent overall presentation, but I'm not into WoW and haven't played a Warcraft game in forever. Not really a fan of the cartoony colorful art style. And I don't think it has cool card animations.

Infinity Wars seems like it functions okay. I can't really comment on whether the card game itself is good or not as I have nothing to compare it to. I think the cards have great presentation but the rest of it could use some work. Also, what I'd ultimately want is the awesome artwork and style of the Magic cards but, when a card is played, an actual 3D model might be placed on the card on the battlefield and have animations and stuff. Like a dragon might be circling above the play field. Big golems. Terrain change. And the process of getting a pack of cards could be a little more exciting. Have a actual foil pack tear open and have the cards laid out in some sexy way. Feels very stiff and mechanical now. Not enough flourish.

And I can see how these sort of F2P card games would be dangerous. The cards in this are so cool that I really just want to see more of them, not necessarily for gameplay. I went through the tutorial, the first campaign fight, and the training missions so far. Will try some of the practice fights next.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UlquioKani

Played a chunk of this last night. It's pretty fun. It has the energy per turn system that Hearthstone has so it never feels like I can do enough during each turn. It probably isn't a problem for most people but I mostly played Yugioh before this and the only limit per turn was the number of monster cards that could be played. The game feels simple as a result even though there is probably a lot of depth.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At some point I might; problem is if I need my digital card game fix I can always just go play more Solforge or Hearthstone. I've got a friend who's always eager to play Solforge.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It doesn't like how I'm inputting my birthday to sign up. I don't know what to do, it doesn't show anything like mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy or dd-mm-yyyy or mm-dd-yyyy.

So I'm not going to sign up because it's not fun guessing anymore.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@spraynardtatum: Where were you signing up? I made an account in-game and it had the birth date stuff marked. Was MM/DD/YYYY.

OnionKnight14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started playing the beta way back in summer 2013 and I've jumped in for a little while here and there ever since. I haven't really tried it since the launch, but I'd love to try some again if anyone in the GB community wants to be friends on there. If they still have the mentor/student mode I'd love to get help from a more experienced player!

my username is OnionKnight

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#16  Edited By Y2Ken

I watched quite a bit of the streamer Matt McKnight (LethalFrag) play it a few months back and it looked pretty fun but quite complicated (though I'm fine with that). Downloaded it for myself but haven't really found a good opportunity where I felt like diving into it. Perhaps I'll give it a shot sometime soon but I'm getting my card fix from GvG right now and I'm still messing around with M&M Duel of Champions here and there too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.