Are you going to play with D-Pad or Fightstick?

#1 Edited by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

With Injustice providing the option to have MK-like inputs (single direction) which would be more compatible with a controller or SF-like inputs (full motion inputs) which would work better with a fight stick, which control scheme are you planning on using?

Being a novice to fighting games (I watch a lot of streams and understand most of the tech and how it works, but just don't have the time to practice), I felt like I had more control in MK when I used the d-pad. When I play SF with a fightstick, I feel like I'm fighting the stick. That might just be more to do with my personal skill level though.

I understand that the fight stick allows for quicker directional input, but I feel like people were able to pull off some crazy shit in MK with just a controller. I think a minimal button game like MK or Injustice will work fine with a controller since you don't have to fumble around with all the shoulder buttons as much. At least, that's what I'm hoping. I don't want to buy a fight stick for my PS3 if the d-pad doesn't turn out to be a viable option.

#2 Posted by soundsword (17 posts) -

#3 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

Flightstick

#4 Posted by JacDG (2126 posts) -

The only fighting game I ever had was the last Mortal Kombat, I'm just going to use the control scheme that emulates that if/when I get this game, my buddy I planned on playing this with just moved in with his girlfriend so I probably won't get to play a lot of local multiplayer, since I'm apparently not as important as his woman (humbug!) which might mean that I won't get this game.

#5 Edited by soundsword (17 posts) -

This controller was awesome for fighting games, I beat many joyriders with it. Not sure if it will work with PS3 though.

(I think Madcatz has a similiar one)

#6 Posted by Mezmero (1927 posts) -

I'll just use my Dictator FightPad like I do for all my Xbox fighting games. My thumbs are smoother on a pad than my hands are steady on a joystick. Years of home console gaming will do that.

#8 Edited by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

If I were to buy the game I would get it on the PS3 and use its controller's d-pad. I don't have a good place to put a fight stick when I'm not using. Plus I'll never play a fighting game seriously enough to really take advantage of a fight stick. I won't even do that with Virtua Fighter and I actually play that game a lot online.

#9 Edited by JJOR64 (19001 posts) -

Thinking about getting this game for Wii U, but I don't have a Arcade Stick for Wii U yet. May try to find that TvC Wii stick and see if it works.

#10 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

I might actually get a stick for this game. I need to pick Mortal Kombat complete version up too at some point.

I might look at a fightpad too though.

#11 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Using an arcade stick, it's been a while.

#12 Edited by casper_ (903 posts) -

does this game MK or SF inputs? i've heard a lot of mk style inputs are a bit easier on a pad (they return to neutral more often as opposed to rolling through the motion i guess)

#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19350 posts) -

Arcade stick.

#14 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

That's basically why I'm buying it for PS3. I do have a couple fightsticks and an SF4 fightpad for 360, but even the fightpad doesn't compare to the PS3 d-pad.

#15 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3861 posts) -

@casper_ said:

does this game MK or SF inputs? i've heard a lot of mk style inputs are a bit easier on a pad (they return to neutral more often as opposed to rolling through the motion i guess)

It has MK, but I believe it actually has an option to switch to SF style inputs. They showed it for a minute in the PAX East stream but didn't totally explain if that means like all circular motions for specials and everything.

#16 Posted by DarkShaper (1337 posts) -

Fightstick, I already own one so I would feel silly not using it.

#17 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

D-Pad. I will most likely try it out with my MK fight stick just because, but I'm fine with just using a regular controller. I was never any good with a fight stick anyway.

This would've been a good poll also.

#18 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Arcade stick if I actually try this game. Haven't touched the thing in like 2 years haha

#19 Posted by ShaggE (6472 posts) -

D-pad. I don't play fighting games seriously enough to buy a stick.

#20 Posted by StevetheRadroach (61 posts) -

D-pad because i still need to get a fightstick.

#21 Posted by Lukeweizer (2692 posts) -

Arcade stick if I actually try this game. Haven't touched the thing in like 2 years haha

Same here. I have 2 fight sticks for SF on 360, but I just get frustrated when I use it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.