Dark and Gritty or playful and "fun."

#1 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

Injustice is a very serious game and I don't really like it. I would had rather prefer the tone of the game to be like mvc 3 series which is playful and fun.

so would you rather have had injustice dark and gritty or playful and fun.

#2 Posted by Zella (756 posts) -

Modern D.C. is much more dark than Marvel, so an MVC style of playfulness would be really strange. Besides it's essentially MK but with only D.C. people so it fits the dev's style. I don't love the dark and gritty but I think it works better than playful and fun in this case.

#3 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

I guess. The game is using mk9 engine and it would be strange for the game to be playful because the mk9 engine reminds people of too much mortal combat.

#4 Posted by Azteris (810 posts) -

I don't really want to see NetherRealm do "playful and fun"

#5 Posted by Nottle (1914 posts) -

@Azteris said:

But thats what they always do. Just in a sophomoric teenager way.

#6 Posted by sethysquare (21 posts) -

I don't really get why this is that dark and gritty. With graphics that is presented in Injustice, It would almost be impossible to do a "fun and playful" version without looking cheesy. Also, most of the footage we've seen is in the batcave and this big ass city, so I'll imagine the tone to look much different in say a Fortress of Solitude environment.

Also, it seems like the game has alot of slapstick humor. Harley Quinn opening up presents and bombing with a pie, Batman hooking someone upside down with a grappling hook, Flash running around the world to throw a punch, it seems like its alotta fun and playful things that the characters are doing. I guess the trailer was done in a very serious tone, but I think it was just trying to set a tone.

I do get what you're saying by fun and lively like mvc3. But it seems like the graphics would consequently suffers from it being too cartoony, just like mvc3.

@Azteris said:

Same

#7 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

I've always HATED the Marvel vs Capcom series, so if your telling me that Ed Boon is making a MK style fighter with DC characters then I'm game to give it a chance.

Oh, and please keep in mind I typically don't like DC's characters. DC has loved making their characters into gods that can never be beaten or ever feel depressed. The only character they have who is remotely interesting is Batman, but at the end of the day he's just a rich guy who doesn't do anything but fight bad guys at night.

#8 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

@GTCknight said:

I've always HATED the Marvel vs Capcom series, so if your telling me that Ed Boon is making a MK style fighter with DC characters then I'm game to give it a chance.

Oh, and please keep in mind I typically don't like DC's characters. DC has loved making their characters into gods that can never be beaten or ever feel depressed. The only character they have who is remotely interesting is Batman, but at the end of the day he's just a rich guy who doesn't do anything but fight bad guys at night.

you're generalizing.

#9 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

I can only vouch for the ones that I've played. However, if you mean my comment on DC then your half right. I just prefer it when the character's feel more like people then some almighty being. Its the reason I don't like Marvels Thor either.

I should also add a little note in that I don't care if others like it or not but, I was asked to state my feelings on it so I did.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (24847 posts) -

@Zella said:

Modern D.C. is much more dark than Marvel, so an MVC style of playfulness would be really strange. Besides it's essentially MK but with only D.C. people so it fits the dev's style. I don't love the dark and gritty but I think it works better than playful and fun in this case.

The game actually doesn't play that much like Mortal Kombat. The basic control scheme breaks away from what defines Mortal Kombat with the remove of an independent block button (you have to hold away to guard) and a button designed for environmental interaction. No Fatalities or excessive blood, either. They're designing Injustice to be its own thing, not Mortal Kombat: DC Universe Edition.

#11 Posted by sethysquare (21 posts) -

@GTCknight said:

I can only vouch for the ones that I've played. However, if you mean my comment on DC then your half right. I just prefer it when the character's feel more like people then some almighty being. Its the reason I don't like Marvels Thor either.

I should also add a little note in that I don't care if others like it or not but, I was asked to state my feelings on it so I did.

You mean like Batgirl, Nightwing, Robins, Black Canary, Katana, all the birds of prey, Cyborg, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Deathstroke, Red Hood and the outlaws, Teen Titans, Flash, GL and etc? feels like almighty being?

Or on the other hand, marvel's Wolverine who is has massive healing powers and almost never loses, Spiderman who takes on cosmic threats, Storm, Professor X, Emma Frost, Jean Grey (Phoenix), Magneto, Hulk, Sentinel are more like humans?

Just saying

#12 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

@sethysquare: I'm not a huge fan of Marvel either for the same reasons.

Its been the reason why I went from western comics to manga.

#13 Posted by FLStyle (4707 posts) -

I don't think NetherRealm are capable of creating a MvC3 style game. They have to stick with what they know.

As for the question at hand, I don't mind the dark and gritty style. I think a MvC3 style game should be left for vs. games.

#14 Posted by sethysquare (21 posts) -

@GTCknight: touche

#15 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

No not really. I don't yell in anger about it or anything, I simply just don't read them much. There are a few that I have enjoyed from both DC and Marvel, just not enough for me to go start reading every single one of their comics.

Live and let live man. They both need the other in some way.

#16 Posted by Gabriel (4062 posts) -

@GTCknight said: .

Thor.

#17 Posted by GTCknight (695 posts) -

@Gabriel: I already went over all of this. I don't like Thor (comic) either. If you had read the entire forum you would know that I don't really mind that they exist. I simply just don't read them.

There was a time when I did read both Batman and Spider-man but, Marvel restarted Spider-man taking him from his the post-collage life to high school and DC just became repetitive. If it helps you understand the type stories I prefer then I would recommend that you try reading Overbleed, Drifters, or Underdog. Of course there's always the option of reading the manga the my pic is based off of Jormungand. I also read things like Yandere Kanojo.

Super Heroes are simply boring to me. Nothing about them feels real at all. However, if you like them then don't let me stop you (hell, I never even tried to).

#18 Posted by Slaegar (711 posts) -

GRIMDARK GRITTY MANLINESS and a guy with ears on his hat don't really jive with me. Trying to make comic book heroes, specifically the DC ones all dark and brooding makes about as much sense to me as Gears of War except with My Little Pony characters.

Except that would be way cooler

#19 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

I STILL prefer playful and fun. Enough of that emo shit already.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.