I strongly urge you to read the comic prequel, duders!

#1 Edited by JoeyRavn (4967 posts) -

Seriously. Maybe you don't usually read comic books. Maybe you don't even care about them (why would you ever be interested in this game, duh? :P). But Tom Taylor's prequel to Injustice: Gods Among Us is brutal. Terrific. Jaw-dropping.

It's hard to admit that there's a better (or worse, actually) Joker out there right now than Scott Snyder's and Greg Capullo's (who are currently writing and drawing the Death of the Family story arc, respectively), but Taylor's gives them a run for their money. If Snyder's Joker is methodical and precise, striking like a surgeon holding a scalpel, Taylor's is sheer destructiveness unleashed. If you want to understand what is happening in this game, I strongly recommend you to pick up the digital prequel. You can pick individual issues for $1, or wait for the paperback collection. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

#2 Posted by Epidehl (286 posts) -

I fell off buying regular comics pretty hard and didn't know this was thing, but I'm really interested in this game so I should probably get it. Any idea if the collection should be out before the game? If not, I'll probably just pick them up individually from Midtown Comics or something.

#3 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

I'll say I have spoiled this for myself... and HOLY SHIT. Joker is beyond fucked in this. So interested to see where the story of the game goes and I might check out the comics. I'm not someone who reads them either.

#4 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

I already do read Prequel--

Oh, wait, nevermind.

#5 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

If it was sold as a paper comic then maybe I would buy it, but only if it has fanservicey shots of female characters and if it wasn't a tie-in for a game I wasn't going to like.

#6 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

I just read them because its 3 dollars who cares. Really good stuff so far. It gets grim really quick. Gives me hope it'll continue the MK9 "legacy" of a high quality story mode in a fighting game.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Fine, I shall. I've never even bought a comic book before.

#8 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:

you won't be disappointed.

I'll pick it up but if I am disappointed you will have hell to pay!
#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Speaking of story, here's a new trailer:

#10 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Nice. Who was the dude with the eyepatch? Hadn't seen him yet.

The tricky thing is some characters are in game but not playable.

#11 Posted by ADV215 (44 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads: The guy with the eye-patch is Deathstroke, just without his mask. I think he is confirmed playable. You see a lot of alternate costumes in that trailer.

#12 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

@ADV215 said:

@ArtisanBreads: The guy with the eye-patch is Deathstroke, just without his mask. I think he is confirmed playable. You see a lot of alternate costumes in that trailer.

Oh okay. Yeah he's definitely playable I've seen him in action in some trailer.

Looks way cooler without the mask.

#14 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3802 posts) -

Oh also just saw I think Hawkgirl in this? At 1:50.

#15 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -

Is Green Lantern voiced by Adam Baldwin?

#16 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

Man, this game looks awesome. Cutscenes are a bit..unfinished looking in some spots. But damn. And I've been reading the comic, Joker pulls off some crazy evil shit.

#17 Edited by JoeyRavn (4967 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

Oh also just saw I think Hawkgirl in this? At 1:50.

Definitely Hawgirl. And her design is pretty close to the current New 52 Hawkman design too.

@DarthOrange said:

@JoeyRavn said:

you won't be disappointed.

I'll pick it up but if I am disappointed you will have hell to pay!

Fine. We'll settle the score with a fight to the death. A mortal combat, if you want.

@FluxWaveZ said:

Fine, I shall. I've never even bought a comic book before.

I'm glad I was your first. First person to recommend you a comic book you eventually bought, I mean. Of course.

@Epidehl said:

I fell off buying regular comics pretty hard and didn't know this was thing, but I'm really interested in this game so I should probably get it. Any idea if the collection should be out before the game? If not, I'll probably just pick them up individually from Midtown Comics or something.

DC usually collects its digital comics after 8 or 10 issues have been released online, if series like Batman: Arkham Unhinged, Arrow or Superman/Batman/Justice League Beyond are of any indication. The Collector's Edition of the game comes with the hardcover trade, so I guess the full prequel will be available on paper either when the game is released or shortly afterwards.

#18 Posted by ichthy (498 posts) -

The story so far reminds me of the Justice Lords arc from Justice League animated series. Only way darker.

#19 Posted by Jrinswand (1704 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

Is that really what Batman looks like? That's a fucking awful character design.
#20 Posted by TheStandardToaster (127 posts) -

Seems they are still trying to make this as brutal as possible for T rating. Harley Quinn really gives it to batman.

#21 Posted by punkxblaze (2972 posts) -

It's pretty fucking good. I dunno if I agree that Joker in this gives Snyder's Joker a run for his money; the destruction is much more wide spread and has more dire implications on a global level, but in a way that almost makes it seem a little less surgical and more scorched earth strategy.

What the hell am I saying, this isn't a comic vine thread. Yeah, the prequel comic is great and I am really looking forward to this game.

#22 Posted by Philanthropy (142 posts) -

The game name is still dumb as hell.

#23 Posted by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

That looks pretty fucking good.

#24 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -
@punkxblaze

It's pretty fucking good. I dunno if I agree that Joker in this gives Snyder's Joker a run for his money; the destruction is much more wide spread and has more dire implications on a global level, but in a way that almost makes it seem a little less surgical and more scorched earth strategy.

What the hell am I saying, this isn't a comic vine thread. Yeah, the prequel comic is great and I am really looking forward to this game.

That did kind of bug me, but only a bit. The Joker is so shattered mentally that, at this point, I really wouldn't put anything past him. Whatever gets the job done while also being fun for him.
#25 Edited by egg (1455 posts) -

@egg said:

If it was sold as a paper comic then maybe I would buy it, but only if it has fanservicey shots of female characters and if it wasn't a tie-in for a game I wasn't going to like.

AND only if it has movelists for all the characters.

#26 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Story is pretty good, if not predictable. Not a fan of how the art changed throughout each chapter and thought that the original art was the best of the three so far. Although, I am beyond excited for this!

#27 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

@egg said:

@egg said:

AND only if it has movelists for all the characters.

Actually I might buy it anyway if it has movelists (and comes out physically, which I hear is happening) simply out of respect.

This will be a good opportunity to bash the comic when it comes out, because it's not gonna have movelists probably, even though it should.

#28 Posted by JoeyRavn (4967 posts) -

@punkxblaze said:

Sorry to have neglected this thread. I've been having some interesting adjustments to make in my life (everything for the better, thankfully) and I haven't been able to pay much attention to Giant Bomb during the week.

But, yeah, I agree with you up to a certain point. Snyder's Joker is the ultimate Joker unleashed: he knowns Batman's and his family's secret identities and plans to destroy their very essence. The exact nature of his plans and how and how much they will affect Batman's world are yet to be seen, though. What's in that dinner plate? I can barely wait until the 17th to know. I love Snyder and I think he and Greg Capullo have created one of the best, yet most classic, Jokers ever. But...

But the Joker in Injustice is a Joker on a completely different level. Suppose that he does something that makes Batman kill him. Batman going over the edge is something that has been explored before, either as Bruce or any other man under the cowl (Flashpoint Thomas Wayne, Morrison's Damian Wayne, etc.). But then you realize that what Joker does in Injustice is what makes Superman go all Irredeemable on the world: Joker makes Superman lose it. And, boy, what he does is pretty heavy. Truth be told, this being a non-canonical story that sets up a video game leaves a lot of breathing room to touch upon possibilities that would not be viable in a "mainstream" comic that has to maintain certain degree of continuity. And that's great.

I think that Snyder's and Taylor's Jokers are very similar in a very basic level. They both strike precisely where the heroes are at their weakest, dealing devastating blows and setting up a tragical outcome. Taylor has the advantage of knowing how the story will end (with Superman seizing control), and we still don't know how Snyder's story will conclude. Maybe it turns much grittier than Taylor's: could it really be Alfred's head on that plate? Be as it may, it's a terrific time to be a Batman fan :P

#29 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I haven't read a comic since I read a Simpsons comic in a dental waiting room in the 90's, I don't see why I should care about the story of a fighting game and a Superhero comic at that, where they constantly change the canon.

#30 Posted by punkxblaze (2972 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: If Snyder kills Alfred, I'm going to be sad for days. Days.

#31 Posted by Ghostiet (5250 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior
You must be a lot of fun.
#32 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

YES !!!!

I came here to start a similar thread but yes the prequel is so good. I bought it with all my other digital comics one week and thought it would be nothing special but the first two issues were great and the twist at the end of issue 3 is like a punch to the gut your heart just sinks when you realize whats happened, so much so the large scale damage which follows almost seems to pale in comparison.

Excellent comics for such a low price and for anyone waiting on paperback collections I'm pretty sure it's being collected every 3 issues in physical form. But really even if you don't read comics or care about fighting game stories you should try it because its a great story and a great lead in (so far) to an interesting concept.

As regards DOTF it has been fantastic and all the rest off the issues i needed came in the post today so I blasted through the entire arc so far and as I finished each issue 16 and saw the tray i got so excited. I have never been so excited for an issue as I have been for issue 17 to find out whats on the tray.

#33 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Just read issue 4. Holy shit. Anyone worried about a lack of violence like in MK vs DC. I think this issue will put your mind at ease.

#34 Posted by Asmo917 (406 posts) -

@TheStandardToaster: How in the hell did you get ahold of my in-progress erotic fanficti...oh.

Carry on then.

#35 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

Thanks for the tip ! just finished issue 4 and it was amazing, not really a big comic book dude but this might have sold me on the game

#36 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Having read issue 4-8 just now, I wonder how the Joker will be handled if the game's supposed to take place after the events of the comic.

#37 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

Issue 9 happened last week.It was the last issue for the comic.If you haven't read the comics lately,I'll sum it up for you.Joker blew up Metropolis which was Superman's hometown and tricked him into killing his pregnant wife.Millions of people died and Superman went mad.He killed The Joker brutally in front of Batman by punching him in the gutz.

Superman decided to take a more progressive role for the world.He's now actively hunting criminals,even of important people.He humiliated the middle-east president and took him to jail.He doesn't care if you're important or not,killing is bad.He doesn't obey the world's law and doesn't care.

Everybody is scared of him but the world is so peaceful.Alliances were made and he has Wonder Woman and the Justice League on his side.Batman thinks what Superman is doing is wrong and is at odds with him.He wants to take down Superman and that's what the game is about.

If you wanna read it,here's the youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBMTEeOexPY&list=PLRN1ug_nyZiCvvpJxnqKWjKKaXcbC8Yqp

#38 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Awesome, I'm a frequent comic reader and I usually dismiss all of the movie/game tie-in comics that come out. Glad to see that this one is great, the art looks top-notch as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

#39 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

Awesome, I'm a frequent comic reader and I usually dismiss all of the movie/game tie-in comics that come out. Glad to see that this one is great, the art looks top-notch as well. Thanks for the recommendation!

no problem

#40 Posted by RyuHayabusa (23 posts) -

Having read issue 4-8 just now, I wonder how the Joker will be handled if the game's supposed to take place after the events of the comic.

Ares has power to resurrect dead.

#41 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

Issue 9 happened last week.It was the last issue for the comic.If you haven't read the comics lately,I'll sum it up for you.Joker blew up Metropolis which was Superman's hometown and tricked him into killing his pregnant wife.Millions of people died and Superman went mad.He killed The Joker brutally in front of Batman by punching him in the gutz.

Superman decided to take a more progressive role for the world.He's now actively hunting criminals,even of important people.He humiliated the middle-east president and took him to jail.He doesn't care if you're important or not,killing is bad.He doesn't obey the world's law and doesn't care.

Everybody is scared of him but the world is so peaceful.Alliances were made and he has Wonder Woman and the Justice League on his side.Batman thinks what Superman is doing is wrong and is at odds with him.He wants to take down Superman and that's what the game is about.

If you wanna read it,here's the youtube link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBMTEeOexPY&list=PLRN1ug_nyZiCvvpJxnqKWjKKaXcbC8Yqp

I don't think Issue 9 is the last issue, even though it said "End". The one with Harley Quinn and Green Arrow also had "The End".

#42 Posted by casper_ (903 posts) -

i have very interest in the lore/backstory but i'm interested in whether its a competent fighter and i'm hoping they do things to court fighting game players like improve the training mode and maybe release frame data and unfuck some of the systems in MK9 (there was no such thing as a traded hit in that game)

#43 Posted by moywar700 (174 posts) -

did anybody read the comic with the link i sent

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.