Scorpion gets over here, enrages DC fans

Posted by Phoenix654 (252 posts) -

Injustice: Gods Among Us has been another remarkably successful game for Mortal Kombat devs, NetherRealm Studios. It has a story that, while a bit ludicrous*, still manages to satisfy the comic book nerd deep within me. Okay, not that deep. The fighting engine is different enough from MK to make the change seem worthwhile, there's 24 DC characters included, the detail put into the character dialogue and backgrounds are full of easter eggs and references, the whole package seems totally worthwhile.

Adding on to that, the DLC has been superb as of late. Lobo was an unknown quantity for me, but he turned out to be pretty cool and Batgirl is downright devastating with some of her combos. Her super in particular is one of the most awesome and outright funny bits of animation I've seen in years. And today I awoke to find Scorpion, my favorite MK character (kharacter?) will be making an appearance soon too. Awesome, right? Oh, wait... It's the internet.

Of course people are pissed off, it's new content for a great game that they happen to disagree with. A Mortal Kombat character showing up in a Netherealm game? Apparently they never thought such a thing would come to pass and now that they've seen it will, they are furious. I've seen something similar to the following comment posted a lot of places...

"There are sooo many good DC characters they could have put in instead."

Right, probably true. If you're that upset about it, don't buy Scorpion. "But I've already bought the season pass and I thought I was getting 4 DC characters." Okay. Next time NetherRealm does a season pass for characters they haven't announced, wait. Don't buy things sight unseen. Make smart purchasing decisions. Rumor has it that Sub-Zero might be in the next pack, so chill (haha) and wait. Learn something from this if it pisses you off.

As for me, Scorpion's coming to a fighting game I totally dig. I couldn't be more excited... about something in a video game. Including Half-Life 3. Never got into the series, so I'm not on pins and needles for that.

*Which, to be honest, shouldn't be that big an issue, come to think of it. It's based on comic books where an alien can be anything from looking exactly like humans (and being able to breed with them) to the Martian Manhunter.

#1 Edited by GnaTSoL (778 posts) -

As a guy who likes fighting games alot but knows nothing about the DC universe, I would have liked them to use Skorpions spot for some obscure DC guy/gal (Though considering how many dumb-looking characters are in comics, could be hit or miss).

I'm pretty sure Ed Boon said it himself that he wanted to distance himself from MK for this title. At this rate, nothing will overshadow his MK success cause he keeps it soo dearly by his hip. Nothing wrong with that but he could also relate his name more easily to other games if he didn't.

#2 Edited by MannyMAR (328 posts) -

I have a feeling this is more of a Warner/DC thing than it was a NetherRealm thing.

#3 Posted by EternalVigil (220 posts) -

@mannymar said:

I have a feeling this is more of a Warner/DC thing than it was a NetherRealm thing.

I have a hunch this is the case as well. I think it's the same reason we saw Freddy Kreuger in MK9, and from what I recall the reaction to that was pretty similar.

#4 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1594 posts) -

This really has no affect on me since I don't play this game, but adding Scorpion to it is like the most obvious fucking thing in the world. I can't help be a little disappointed, too.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

I'm all for it, just like I was all for Freddy in MK9 (despite his awful design and disappointing fatalities). Ill-fitting guest characters are one of my favorite things in fighting games.

#6 Edited by Demoskinos (13856 posts) -

@shagge: Im guessing you were all over SoulCalibur 4 then.

#7 Edited by ShaggE (5982 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

@shagge: Im guessing you were all over SoulCalibur 4 then.

Nah, I fell off that series after 2 (I should clarify: I mean SoulCalibur 1, not SC2. I was way into Soul Edge), as I'm not a fan of that style of fighter. I did like the dumb guests, though. Honestly, fighting games scratch the same itch for me as playing with action figures did as a kid, to the point where half the fun is trying to justify each fight with a mental narrative while I play. I'm the very definition of a casual fighting fan.

#8 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3642 posts) -

Finally I can play as Scorpion in a fighting game! And against DC characters? UNPRECEDENTED!

#9 Posted by gaminghooligan (1344 posts) -

Finally I can play as Scorpion in a fighting game! And against DC characters? UNPRECEDENTED!

#10 Posted by BadNews (490 posts) -
#11 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

@mannymar said:

I have a hunch this is the case as well. I think it's the same reason we saw Freddy Kreuger in MK9, and from what I recall the reaction to that was pretty similar.

Yeah I too thought this at the headline. Nice brains ya'll are using there.

#12 Posted by DarthOrange (3497 posts) -

I would have rather had Kratos.

#13 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I would have liked it they have put sub-zero too.

#14 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@mannymar said:

Fun fact Freddy Kreuger was the highest selling dlc character for MK9.

#15 Posted by Hailinel (22711 posts) -

While I do think it's silly to include Scorpion in the game, I like that they gave him a DC-esque appearance for it.

#16 Edited by msavo (7522 posts) -

@hailinel: Me too. Having Jim Lee design this Scorpion is really cool.

#17 Posted by davidwitten22 (1703 posts) -

Scorpion looks nice and will probably see a bit of competitive play, but I would imagine the reason people are mad is because it sets a precedent. There really shouldn't be another MK character added to Injustice, but if Scorpion is successful then maybe they could port in Sub-Zero? Or Johnny Cage? Or anyone else in the MK cast, and people playing Injustice don't really need any more MK characters in their game. They probably already own MK.

I don't particularly like Injustice's play style, but I can understand why people may not be into it.

#18 Posted by csl316 (7355 posts) -

It's all good. Cool design, and the gameplay video was neat. I figured they were gonna distance themselves from MK here but at least they put some creative work into it.

#19 Edited by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

I'm more annoyed that 7 out of 27 characters are from one fucking comic book.

#20 Posted by CommanderGermanShepard (303 posts) -

Scorpion is way cooler than 95% of DC characters anyway.

#21 Posted by tourgen (4233 posts) -

yeah, people buying season passes for unannounced DLC... and then complaining when it's not what they want. No sympathy.

#22 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1324 posts) -

Didn't they say that they didn't want to do this? I know who Jeff will be playing as.

#23 Edited by Solidfox (57 posts) -

Scorpion is the worst DLC ever, I wanted six more Batmen.

#24 Edited by Deranged (1837 posts) -

If Martian Manhunter makes it in, I couldn't care less. At least Scorpion looks rad as all hell.

#25 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1681 posts) -

The number one reason people are mad about Scorpion's inclusion is because Ed Boon while promoting Injustice pre-release explicitly stated that there wouldn't be guest characters and that he wanted the game to succeed on it's own merits. The people who bought season passes feel like they were lied to and some are even trying to get refunds.

Guys, don't buy things before you even know what it is that you are buying.

Personally, I don't mind. Hell, I'm looking forward to seeing how an MK character plays in a back-to-block game. if things work out, it could be used as a case for the mythical Street Fighter x Mortal Kombat, since the differences in the blocking mechanics were a major (design) impediment.

#26 Posted by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

I don't have a problem with it, sure I would've prefered another DC character but I love MK. Plus if that tease is right, then I get both Martian Manhunter and Lobo in a fighting game amongst many others of my favorite characters. Which is more than enough for me. Not to mention the hints at a second batch of characters.

#27 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

I didn't know there was a Mortal Kombat 9.

#28 Posted by Mystyr_E (1172 posts) -

long as I get my Zatanna and/or Black Canary, they can add who they want. And if Scorpion took up the slot that would've gone to those 2 then eff this game :|

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11005 posts) -

Eh, I kind of expected it because that's the kind of goofy thing Netherrealm would do? Personally, I feel like we should be more outraged that Scorpion is in a game where you have to hold back to block. Sacrilege!

#30 Edited by Shakezula84 (439 posts) -

Im just surprised that this wasnt the last piece of dlc for the "season". But I do like hearing we might get more seasons. DLC does bring people back and gets them to keep the game. It does for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.