Insane To Be A Trilogy, Game Rights Go To THQ

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Guillermo del Toro and Volition's oft-teased project, Insane, won't just be a one-off title. Publisher THQ has announced that Insane is a trilogy of "triple-A games" to be published under the company, the first chapter of which we won't see until 2013.

There's woefully little we can share about even the first title, despite its reveal at the 2010 VGAs over theweekend. Insane is obviously a horror game, as evidenced by the screaming, the weird music, and the tentacles in the teaser.  

"With this new series of video games, I want to take players to a place they have never seen before, where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality," del Toro said in a statement. "THQ and Volition are equally excited to make this vision of a completely new game universe into a reality."

If this series does well, you've got to imagine that del Toro is thinking of some sort of film adaptation of the IP. Movies are kinda what he does best. Oh, and speaking of that? Del Toro owns the rights to any movie associated with the IP, while THQ owns the rights to the video games.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Guillermo del Toro and Volition's oft-teased project, Insane, won't just be a one-off title. Publisher THQ has announced that Insane is a trilogy of "triple-A games" to be published under the company, the first chapter of which we won't see until 2013.

There's woefully little we can share about even the first title, despite its reveal at the 2010 VGAs over theweekend. Insane is obviously a horror game, as evidenced by the screaming, the weird music, and the tentacles in the teaser.  

"With this new series of video games, I want to take players to a place they have never seen before, where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality," del Toro said in a statement. "THQ and Volition are equally excited to make this vision of a completely new game universe into a reality."

If this series does well, you've got to imagine that del Toro is thinking of some sort of film adaptation of the IP. Movies are kinda what he does best. Oh, and speaking of that? Del Toro owns the rights to any movie associated with the IP, while THQ owns the rights to the video games.
#2 Edited by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

MUHAHAHA!!!!

EDIT: Sounds interesting on paper, but I will wait for gameplay before I make an opinion on it though.

#3 Posted by Gargantuan (1880 posts) -
#4 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1489 posts) -

How presumptuous of them.

#5 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

Call me when its Insane Clown Posse

#6 Posted by DeadFish (228 posts) -

So, this has nothing to do with his movie, "At the Mountains of Madness"?

#7 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@GenghisJohn the second game is called Clown and the last will be called Posse.
#8 Posted by l4wd0g (1896 posts) -

They need to not plan these things as trilogies. Make a damn good game then ass to it if it works. 

#9 Posted by xombi242 (187 posts) -

*please don't be like Advent Rising, 
please don't be like Advent Rising, 
please don't be like Advent Rising, 
please don't be like Advent Rising*  

#10 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
#11 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -
@Kyle said:
" When has announcing a trilogy before the first game's release ever been a good idea? "
You mean like Gears of War & Mass Effect?
#12 Edited by boku (33 posts) -
@xombi242 said:

" *please don't be like Advent Rising,  please don't be like Advent Rising,  please don't be like Advent Rising,  please don't be like Advent Rising*   "

I'm still waiting for that sequel...  :'(   
#13 Posted by skudfisher (62 posts) -

Your mom is a trilogy

#14 Posted by jacer18 (4 posts) -

i cant wait? wait im excited for a thq game?

#15 Posted by Drakkel (16 posts) -

Of course, we have no idea what the game is like at this point, it could turn out to be just fine. 

That said, I'm no game developer but to me it seems obnoxiously shortsighted to just assume everyones gonna love the first game so much they'll rush to buy two more games. It would be way smarter to put as much polish as you can into the first game and then see how the market reacts.

#16 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" @Kyle said:
" When has announcing a trilogy before the first game's release ever been a good idea? "
You mean like Gears of War & Mass Effect? "
Neither of those were announced as trilogies before release.
#17 Posted by redwing42 (59 posts) -

where every single action makes them question their own senses of morality and reality     

Oh, you mean kind of like Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem?
#18 Posted by Microshock (341 posts) -

Great, now stop announcing games 2 + years before they'll ever come out.

#19 Posted by gbrading (1985 posts) -

Saying "It's going to be a trilogy" right off-the-bat isn't a great idea. What if Insane flops? Far better to say they would like for it to be a trilogy but will see how things pan out.
#20 Posted by Deusoma (3000 posts) -
@Microshock said:
" Great, now stop announcing games 2 + years before they'll ever come out. "
#21 Posted by zFUBARz (621 posts) -

you know what if it IS even close to eternal darkness I'll be happy as hell, that game was messed up on every level.

#22 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -
@Microshock said:
" Great, now stop announcing games 2 + years before they'll ever come out. "
agreed
#23 Posted by Deeveeus (479 posts) -

I smell another Too Human...

#24 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -
@Kyle: Pretty sure they were, at least gears was. I knew it was a trilogy before it came out,
#25 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

hmm I want to see gameplay of this sometime... but it is so far away...

#26 Posted by RecSpec (3754 posts) -

This reminds me of the Xenosaga series. It was supposed to be five games long but it only made it to three

#27 Posted by gamb1t (964 posts) -

im interested but the THQ makes me who cares till it comes out

#28 Posted by Roger778 (953 posts) -

I find Guillermo Del Toro to be a fascinating man with a great sense of imaginaton.  Pan's Labyrinth, was a great movie, that had a sad ending, but amazing visuals.   

I have to say I'm very intrigued that he is going to make a new Video Game.  My only concern is that he's planning to make it part of a trilogy.  He should develop the first game, and then wait to see if game critics, and the gamers love it or not, before moving on with the series.   

I wish him the best of luck, though.

#29 Posted by RichardNixon (67 posts) -

This stinks of Too Human/Advent Rising syndrome.

#30 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

you people really try hard to put out a "smart" "bashing" full of negative comment about almost everything!..  perhaps you should look for personal satisfaction in more creative/positive endevours.   

It´s a know fact for psychology that internet trolling it´s basically the release of personal frustration.. sooo keep it going you all such winners. 

#31 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Game sounds interesting just by the title alone, but I will have to see some game play to full make up my mind.

#32 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Great. At this rate, we can expect the trilogy to be completed by 2019, and that's if it's any good.

#33 Posted by corijo (17 posts) -

2013? Are they fucking insane?

#34 Posted by jangofett88 (324 posts) -
@corijo said:
" 2013? Are they fucking insane? "
I see what you did there.

So yeah, Insane III coming holiday 2019.
#35 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -
@DonPixel said:
" you people really try hard to put out a "smart" "bashing" full of negative comment about almost everything!..  perhaps you should look for personal satisfaction in more creative/positive endevours.    It´s a know fact for psychology that internet trolling it´s basically the release of personal frustration.. sooo keep it going you all such winners.  "
DANGER!
Troll Ahead
#36 Posted by dancinginfernal (470 posts) -
@Kyle said:
" @Baillie said:
" @Kyle said:
Neither of those were announced as trilogies before release. "
Mass Effect was, I know for a fact. Gears of War, no idea. Doubtful.
#37 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -
@dancinginfernal said:
" @Kyle said:
" @Baillie said:
" @Kyle said:
Mass Effect was, I know for a fact. Gears of War, no idea. Doubtful. "
Ah, thanks for backing me up. I knew Gears of War was going to be a trilogy by the time I first got my hands on it, so I think that counts.
#38 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@Baillie said:
" @dancinginfernal said:
" @Kyle said:
" @Baillie said:
" @Kyle said:
Mass Effect was, I know for a fact. Gears of War, no idea. Doubtful. "
Ah, thanks for backing me up. I knew Gears of War was going to be a trilogy by the time I first got my hands on it, so I think that counts. "
Noooooo! It burns!!
#39 Posted by Baillie (4025 posts) -
@Kyle: Haha, not that it matters, just because 2 games have done it, I don't think there's been a game that's in such early production that has been confirmed for a trilogy, it is a very bad move. At least when we heard that Gears and Mass Effect were going to be trilogies we had at least seen them and they looked very good. Both are by renowned developers too.
#40 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -
@Baillie: Exactly.
#41 Posted by biospank (647 posts) -
@DeadFish said:

"So, this has nothing to do with his movie, "At the Mountains of Madness"? "

probably cuz booth game and movie is a lovecraft flicks
#42 Posted by catpowerd (147 posts) -

Insane to be a trilogy sounds like a Wu-Tang clan album.

#43 Posted by ShadowLegend300 (28 posts) -

Huh...guess we'll never even see the first one...

#44 Edited by believer258 (11570 posts) -

@Microshock said:

Great, now stop announcing games 2 + years before they'll ever come out.

And almost two years later, does anyone know anything about this game...?

EDIT: Nevermind, THQ canceled it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.