THQ Cancels InSane, Rights Transfer to Del Toro

• 72 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -

The ambitious, hypothetical horror trilogy collaboration with director Guillermo del Toro, THQ and Volition, inSane, has been cancelled.

New THQ president Jason Rubin revealed the news this afternoon on a financial call for THQ’s quarterly results.

The rights to inSane have reverted back to del Toro, which means he could technically do something with it in the future.

del Toro is in the midst of production on his next film, the monster and robot-filled (aka awesome) Pacific Rim.

With THQ in the midst of attempting a financial turnaround, the change isn’t surprising. The project was the baby of former executive VP of core games (and once Hollywood scribe) Danny Bilson. He is no longer with THQ.

Volition is currently working on a sequel to Saints Row: The Third. Originally, Volition was to release an expansion dubbed Saints Row: Enter the Dominatrix, but that's been wrapped into a full sequel.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3914 posts) -

The ambitious, hypothetical horror trilogy collaboration with director Guillermo del Toro, THQ and Volition, inSane, has been cancelled.

New THQ president Jason Rubin revealed the news this afternoon on a financial call for THQ’s quarterly results.

The rights to inSane have reverted back to del Toro, which means he could technically do something with it in the future.

del Toro is in the midst of production on his next film, the monster and robot-filled (aka awesome) Pacific Rim.

With THQ in the midst of attempting a financial turnaround, the change isn’t surprising. The project was the baby of former executive VP of core games (and once Hollywood scribe) Danny Bilson. He is no longer with THQ.

Volition is currently working on a sequel to Saints Row: The Third. Originally, Volition was to release an expansion dubbed Saints Row: Enter the Dominatrix, but that's been wrapped into a full sequel.

Staff
#2 Edited by jesterroyal (350 posts) -

I dont know this game?

Edit: This is the second time I've gotten this but the first time that it's counted. Thank god. No more impulses.

I guess this decision makes a ton of sense with where THQ has been lately. I dont know if there was enough hype for this either (I've never heard of it but.. im not a horror guy really.)

#3 Posted by nikopeters (84 posts) -

IT'S INSANE

#4 Posted by Lionheart377 (54 posts) -

Weak.

#5 Posted by Smokey_Earhole (473 posts) -

Crazy stuff

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (975 posts) -

this is shit

#7 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6396 posts) -

Insane news.

#8 Posted by AjayRaz (12422 posts) -

awww man

#9 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Supposedly the game was still in pre-production.

#10 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

Oh well... at least we still have Machine for Pigs for our 2013 horror fix.

#11 Posted by SilentBob251 (61 posts) -

I know THQ isn't in a position to gamble on a project right now, but is playing it totally safe going to pay off? Eventually they have to try new things or they will be right back where they started. Saints Row can only carry them for so long.

#12 Posted by CaLe (3943 posts) -

Shame. Del Toro seemed genuinely enthusiastic about being involved with this.

#13 Posted by MSUSteve (72 posts) -

I think most people were incredulous when this was announced. First, it was announced with what, a 2014 release date? 2015? And then they had the balls to announce it as a trilogy. This had the feeling of a pipe dream from the very beginning.

#14 Posted by tescovee (356 posts) -

It feels as if I have seen that marquee for inSane the past 10 years, turns out its only been 2. I really am rooting for THQ to keep its shit together, hopefully they are making the right moves and Darksiders 2 does well...I worry that they are going to be so strapped that they wont gamble on any new unique stuff.

#15 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy: BOO THIS MAN.gif

#16 Posted by slowbird (1675 posts) -

Man, I was way more disappointed until I found out this game wasn't a remake of the off-road racing game 1NSANE.

#17 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

Yeah, that seems like a sound decision, given THQ's current predicament.

#18 Posted by bybeach (4769 posts) -

I was hoping for another of those art books......

#19 Posted by Bones8677 (3224 posts) -

Totally saw this coming way back when it was announced.

Announcing a game three years ahead of its supposed release window. And saying that it will be a trilogy, all without showing a single frame of gameplay. All signs pointed to this being a dud.

Too bad though, we really could do with more horror games.

#20 Posted by DrDarkStryfe (1100 posts) -

It is the smart move. They will concentrate on their small lineup for the rest of the fiscal year to get back on their feet.

So far, it looks like Rubin was the right hire.

#21 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

We all called this one. Most of Del Toro's "work" never comes out.

#22 Posted by Kontrapunkt (413 posts) -

God sakes. I saw "Rights Transfer to Del Taco" and absolutely lost my shit.

#23 Posted by ChrisTaran (1579 posts) -

Bummed about this news. Love Del Toro and would have really liked to see what he did with a video game.

#24 Edited by Brodehouse (9760 posts) -

I was probably more interested in Insane than any other THQ product or franchise.

Man, even if it was just "we're not going to do this for a while, but sometime we'll get it done". Now it's just over, to never been seen or heard from. Someone should talk Volition into spilling the plan on it. Just so we can know what it was supposed to be. Or someone should track down del Toro and ask him the vision for it. ?

#25 Posted by Waffley (142 posts) -

It was probably the name. InSane? Step it up, guys.

They should've gone with "Wackadoo".

#26 Posted by MeatSim (10814 posts) -

Considering we never saw anything from this game. I didn't really have any expectations for it anyway.

#27 Posted by BaconGames (3357 posts) -

I was just thinking a few weeks back what would become of this project. Everything about it, as others have said, made it seem like a pipedream or a really expensive project. They were probably looking at it and dumped it because it would be way too costly for something like this.

Its also standard practice, good or bad, for new CEOs to distance themselves from the past projects unfinished by previous ones.

#28 Edited by megalowho (963 posts) -

When you announce a game (3 games) with just a title screen and a big name movie director it's not a great look from the beginning. Going dark for 2 years doesn't really help build excitement either. Not surprised by the move, and probably smart considering what little financial rope THQ has to work with.

#29 Posted by killacam (1284 posts) -

nnnooooooooooooooooooooooo

#30 Posted by scroot (3 posts) -

Terrible news. TERRIBLE.

#31 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

The announcement was weird in the first place. Never expected anything great to come out of this.

#32 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -
@SilentBob251 said:

I know THQ isn't in a position to gamble on a project right now, but is playing it totally safe going to pay off? Eventually they have to try new things or they will be right back where they started. Saints Row can only carry them for so long.

They need to play it safe for a couple of years at least. Remember, they are still far from being out of financial troubles. Gambles can payoff, but even seemingly sure things don't always pan out.
#33 Posted by Elwoodan (807 posts) -

NEVER announce your game as a trilogy. It seems like major bad luck.

#34 Posted by jasondesante (603 posts) -

this game has been many years in the making....wtf

#35 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Kontrapunkt said:

God sakes. I saw "Rights Transfer to Del Taco" and absolutely lost my shit.

When stuff like this happens it's time to stop eating Del Taco.

#36 Posted by FateOfNever (1821 posts) -

I knew this one was too good to be true, especially considering how long ago it was announced and how long they said it was even going to be for the game to come out in the first place. But now it's dead. del Toro will be too busy doing movies and what not to probably ever touch this thing again and try to get it made into a game.

It makes sense for THQ to drop it, but, it doesn't change the fact that I'm still bummed out this game isn't likely to ever become a thing.

#37 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

I had no interest in this game from the start, so it's fine by me. I want Darksiders II, some Warhammer 40k sweetness, that new Saints Row, and Company of Heroes 2. Far more interested in that lineup of games. THQ building on their already strong IPs is going to be a good way to not only pull themselves out of the rubble, but also set an example for quality in sequels and franchises.

I just really hope that Rubin will give Red Faction a real chance after that Saints Row game.

#38 Posted by pmurph (78 posts) -

Too bad , if you ever listen to the irrational interview's episode with him , he seems like a really humble dude that wanted to learn about video games.

#39 Posted by SpiralEye (132 posts) -

Well, it's good to hear more Saint's Row is already underway.. It seemed that SR2 lasted longer than SR3 did..

#40 Posted by Dustpan (1692 posts) -

God damn it.

#41 Posted by Stimpack (836 posts) -

@Kontrapunkt: I always relinquish my rights to Del Taco. Every time.

#42 Posted by JuggaloAcidman (280 posts) -

I don't think playing it safe is going to save THQ!

#43 Posted by emem (1965 posts) -

Hm I could have sworn that I read about the cancellation months ago, strange.

#44 Posted by Delta_Ass (3274 posts) -

They're out of their minds.

#45 Posted by felakuti4life (145 posts) -

Rubin's making the right moves, making THQ leaner while focusing on it's most established IPs, like Saints Row and Darksiders. I could see THQ surviving as long as it doesn't take any unnecessary risks.

#46 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (975 posts) -

Are we ever going to get any fucking horror games any more? All the old stand bys have evolved int to crappy shooters 

#47 Posted by Sidfiou (69 posts) -

Not too surprising. I don't think this will ever be seen again, though, which is disappointing.

#48 Posted by Zaxex (581 posts) -

It doesn't seem worth getting excited about teaser trailers, especially when they don't have any gameplay in them. Was there even much more information than: horror, trilogy, Del Toro and not-this-year?

#49 Posted by DukesT3 (1900 posts) -

Shocked.

#50 Posted by Raven10 (1759 posts) -

That's a shame. I get it from a financial standpoint, but it is too bad. Del Toro has made some incredible films and his ability to create compelling characters in enchanting worlds is among the best in the industry. Don't know how he would do on a game but I was interested in trying it out. Maybe he can get support from a publisher in a better position. Would like to see maybe see a Take Two studio try this out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.