Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Inside

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 29, 2016

A game from Limbo developers, Playdead, set in a dystopian environment.

I just finished Inside [Spoilers]

• 93 results
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By willin

That happened right?

The red shirt kid's entire goal and the reason he broke into a laboratory and nearly died a dozen times was to be absorbed into a giant ball of human flesh and limbs and escape to the outside world.

Can someone please explain what the fuck happened at the end of this insane game?

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@willin: I haven't read your post because I still might play this game, I just want to know one thing before going into it.

Are there any instances beyond the pig at the start getting his tail ripped off where there's visual cruelty to animals? I don't need specifics, just a yes or no answer would do. My guess is yes.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

Carlsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are in fact removing a parasite from the pig (not ripping of the tail).

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willin: Thanks for the response. I watched the QL and got the impression there might be and that's something I'm not interested in seeing. I didn't really like Limbo but it sounds like this game fixes all the problems I had with Limbo so it might be worth a shot.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RickRockmann

The overall gist that I got is:

that the Evil Corporation was researching Matrix-esque human batteries. It seemed like the black masses were some sort of mind-controlling parasite they discovered that let them breed/create vegetative humans for this purpose - you follow their early research through the first half of the game, from animal testing to humans controlled with a device to "zombies" that just kind of instinctively act as one unit. At the climax, you form up with your buddies and bust out of the facility's pilot reactor (possibly during its first live test, given the crowd?), trash the building, and roll out into the world. I don't think the red shirt boy is meant to have any characterization other than "curious kid who wants to explore that crazy complex in the woods."

Did anyone find all of the secrets? I missed five or so, but since the devices stay broken in New Game+ I'm assuming something happens when you get them all. Maybe the vault door under the cornfield near the beginning of the game (where the secret in the darkroom is located) opens? I couldn't see any other obvious way to turn on the power in that room.

EDIT WITH POST-GAME STUFF:

So it turns out I just missed a couple of secrets, and they were pretty easy to get in like a half hour. I was totally right about the vault door, but it looks like you need to enter some kind of code on a three-way switch to open it. I have no idea how to find that code - left, right and up on the switch make different organ tones, so maybe it's musical?

DOUBLE EDIT:

The tones seem to match up perfectly with what's playing on the tape reel in that one early secret area, but I don't have an ear for this stuff. Replicating what I think I hear using the switch by the door doesn't seem to do anything, so either I'm reeeeal bad at this or there's more to this puzzle.

T-T-TRIPLE EDIT:

Yeah, there was more to it. There's not a whole lot behind that door, but I really don't know what to make of this "secret ending."

buckwhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickrockmann: just beat the game myself and was wondering the same thing! I missed like 5 of the secret mine looking things. Don't know if I should try to get them all or just see if there's already a video on YouTube lol.

Great fucking game though! Brad was on point with his review.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By bkbroiler

That was one of the weirdest games I've played. Definitely did not expect the gameplay turn. I'm still kind of absorbing the ending - I kind of figured out what was going on, but it'd like a bit more closure on the end. I'd like to find the rest of the secrets and see if that reveals anything.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

that the Evil Corporation was researching Matrix-esque human batteries. It seemed like the black masses were some sort of mind-controlling parasite they discovered that let them breed/create vegetative humans for this purpose - you follow their early research through the first half of the game, from animal testing to humans controlled with a device to "zombies" that just kind of instinctively act as one unit. At the climax, you form up with your buddies and bust out of the facility's pilot reactor (possibly during its first live test, given the crowd?), trash the building, and roll out into the world. I don't think the red shirt boy is meant to have any characterization other than "curious kid who wants to explore that crazy complex in the woods."

This isn't a bad way to look at it. My biggest question is

after the game portrays the organization as this faceless monolith with all of its employees operating in lockstep, why did several scientists seem to break ranks and help you escape in the last few moments?

Eaxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eaxis

Played this one sitting. That was great. I have collected everything on my own, I need to know what the hell is beyond the door down in the bunker under the cornfield. I'll check that music tip. Spoiler podcast/video please.

Edit:

Here is a guide :

simko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By simko5

@brad:

I thought it was more like an evil opressive regime and not just a corporation out for "flesh-batteries". In the beginning parts when youre sneaking into the factory you sometimes see corpses of humans infront of security mechanisms, probably people either escaping or doing the same thing youre doing: exploring whats going on behind the scenes. Probably not everyone of those scientists is agreeing with whats happening so theyre secretly empathic towards you. There was also that one scene where a guy is hastily unlocking a door for you but only if youre far enough away, he was probably just scared and wanted to get you out of there.

What Im curious about is why in the beginning do the other humans kill you on sight but when youre in the lab at the end they just let you stand there and watch the experiment with them? Also the guards in the beginning seem to have some sort of mask where as the scientists at the end seem to have normal faces. Questions over questions. Loved the game and your review is spot on, Brad!

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RickRockmann

@brad:

I saw that as Playdead saying "hey, some of these guys are actually all right." Maybe here's where I start reading too much into it, but I thought it was super interesting that during the big climax of the game, some scientists try to trap you and some try to help you escape, but the vast majority of them just stand there and watch you. It's like, here's a huge organization doing Evil Science Stuff, but how many of its employees care strongly one way or another about the nature of their research? The really crazy part about Evil Science Stuff is that most of the people who enable it are just trying to put their degrees to use.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad said:

@rickrockmann said:

after the game portrays the organization as this faceless monolith with all of its employees operating in lockstep, why did several scientists seem to break ranks and help you escape in the last few moments?

I think they're actually tricking you into going into that water tank. They lure you into the area with the trapdoor to lock you into the tank. But then you break out. Unless they intended you to break out... but I think they're just trying to re-contain you.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NTM

I just finished it, and I have no idea what the end meant, and what it was symbolizing (at least what the blob is, and the shot of you having finally escaped). Now that I think about it, I guess I can understand what the human blob is. The game was an interesting take on a tired theme to me. I would say it's worth half the price I paid for it, but I don't regret getting it. This does make much sense, and I don't care to give much context as to how I come to this, but if I were to score it, I'd give it a 7.65 out of ten. Main reason it's so 'low' is because I don't see myself playing it again any time soon, or ever. I'd perhaps rather watch someone else play it, so score wise, the replay ability is quite low for me. There's a lot of great aspects in it though.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Seikenfreak

Yea my impression of the end section was that it was some test of this thing they've been creating. The flaw in that is that clearly it must not have gone according to their plan initially, but since a lot of the stuff afterwards seemed like purpose built puzzles (why would a button be way up/on the ceiling.. and the scientists were observing and moving you along through these tests where they finally attempt to catch you in the water tank. Other than that, I don't know wtf is going on. I will say that that turn towards the end there with the blob was so fuckin awesome looking and felt amazing to play. I want a whole game like that. Just playing a horrifying monster and crashing around.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you remember to use protection?

I'm so sorry... I'll be back once I actually play the game.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I'm surprised no one has talked about the theme of it. For me, it's harder to look at it as the world it was created as, and more about the allegory of it all.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished the game in a single sitting. Holy shit. Still processing, but HOLY SHIT. As a stray thought, early on there's some dilapidated signage on a building's roof consisting of huge neon letters, evoking the 'hotel' sign from Limbo. There are three letters - R_C - with the middle letter missing. If you drop down a bit, you find the fallen letter E, spelling out REC. Given the catatonic state of the imprisoned people (plus the nature of the device that lets you control them, and the prevalence of tapes/reel-to-reel players littered around) I think this part of the facility is dedicated to imprinting or 'recording' thoughts and personalities onto subjects. Still formulating thoughts on the rest.

Alucitary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Alucitary

The vagina tank at the end was the big "ah ha" moment for me. Up to that point I had been trying to take the story at face value, and trying to figure out the intent of the organization and the nature of the "zombification." But after that it was pretty obviously meant to be an allegory. What trips me up is when you escape from the tank. I expected it to just fade to black in the tank or for light to start shining up from the bottom, but instead you just claw your way out of the side of it. I'm not sure what that is supposes to represent or if it is intentionally trying to subvert the obvious assumptions that I am having.

But ya, basically my running theory is that the boy is a sperm, so are all of the zombie people, but the boy is the one destined to succeed. the normal people are the fully formed cells of the mother focused on facilitating reproduction. They are testing the sperm cells in various ways to find out which one will be the most suitable for insemination. The final test after the boy successfully "gives life" to the egg is to run it through the facility to it's eventual destination where it will grow... but again I'm not sure what breaking out of the tank at the end is supposed to represent.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By kreeztoff

As far as the motivation of Red Shirt Boy goes, there's no real evidence to go on but I'm guessing that someone important to him, perhaps a sibling or parents, were taken in to be part whatever insane program the scientists were working on. It's the only reason I can think of for him to be so feverishly determined to break in through constant threat of death.

Another theory I had with little evidence to back it up was that Red Shirt Boy maybe was himself being controlled the entire time. It gets established pretty early on that it's possible for a mind-controlled individual to then also mind-control others. Maybe it's meant to be a form of corporate espionage, or perhaps it's a poke at the fact that we the player are the ones pulling the strings, and the motivation of the boy is merely our own.

Whatever the case may be, it was an excellently designed, immaculately executed, and brilliantly thought-provoking game. It will definitely be finding its way onto my year-end top 10.

itsmensch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By itsmensch

spoilers for alternate ending:

The boy is definitely being mind controlled, the alternate ending is you unplugging what looks like the mother-controller device and falling over after doing so. I also think that the boy isn't human, and that none of the "zombie" creatures are actually human. In fact, I may be way off here but I think "you" are playing as the big blob, who is controlling the boy somehow.

What I REALLY want to know about is (spoilers for partway through game)

What's up with that mermaid thing. It doesn't fit in with anything else. And what does it do to you hat lets you breathe underwater? And why?

EDIT: OKAY as I thought about that last part I realized something:

You totally die when the mermaid gets you. I think it converts you into a zombie/blob person, whose being controlled by whatever, and whose goal is to free the blob.

kreeztoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@itsmensch: Did you notice that during the fall after the mermaid gets you that some kind of cable connects and then disconnects from the boy? Also after that point it's possible to mind control the pawns without the use of a helmet. Pehaps whatever that cable was connected to imbued the boy with the attributes of mermaids and pawns.

itsmensch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kreeztoff: I noticed that he got breathing powers but didn't notice the mind control. So many layers to this game.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LucidDreams117

Spoilers!!! Sorry, typing from a phone doesn't allow me to cover it up.

Just finished the game too. Went back and got the secrets as well. I'm enjoying reading everyone's thoughts and opinions. This game is really something. A rare thought provoking journey. I sat and stared at the end as the credits rolled. Look at the blob. It looked almost lifeless. Gave me the impression that you died at the end so close to the ocean and freedom.

It really made me think. It's not often games do that for me. So much water!!! I NEED to know why!?! Why is everything flooded and why are there so many parts that look like ships!? Were they planning on floating away at some point and it all went wrong? The whole game was a giant question mark in terms of this dystopian environment. I kept asking: What brought them to this!? Was it ever normal like we're accustomed to or is this the only way this world knows of? I love games and other media that make me think like that. Ask how humanity progressed to this point and allow me to form my own conclusions. Let's me write my own prologue book in a way.

A brilliant game. One that I would put up there with Portal. A short experience but better for it. Just amazing. Loved it.

CabooseMSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad:

NOTE, SPOILERS AHEAD:Im on mobile and cant figure out how to post the normal spoiler tag!

It seems the facility was a farce. It seems that the higher ups were experimenting with mind control to create an effectively free work force. Unless you were an employee, you were a slave.

If the non employees are slaves, though, then why do they need the soundwave machine and all of these traps? Well they divide the city with the institution. So there must not have ALWAYS been a lack of free will and total mind control. People used to live in the city, but it probably got to a point where they deemed it easier to just integrate all of the lower citizens. So now all that is left in the walled off lands we explored are zombie like slave workers, and the upper class citizens.

As to the turncoat scientists, youd have to think that not all of them agree with what is being done, but know that the are privileged and lucky to not be one of the zombie citizens. They show their true, rebellious nature in the final act, though.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad

And make note of the Blob section for GotY "Best Moment" category. The animation, sound, and physics are so well done for the Blob. Even the way the environment was laid out and how the employees were reacting was amazing. Never seen anything come together so well. It was incredible to watch and play through that moment.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: Agreed wholeheartedly. My mouth was agape through that entire sequence.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe only one person in this thread has acknowledged the title.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So just a few thoughts of my own, many echoing or developing what others have said.

As a starter, I don't believe there has to be a meaning, and - as with Limbo - I think the developer has actively decided against being definitive on this front. One person's 'allegory' is another's 'open to interpretation', is another's 'you're missing that this is the thing', and I think all are valid.

That being said:

1. Definite (and marvellous) Cronenbergian body horror to this whole thing.

• Biological and birthing undertones - from all the fluids; to the umbilical chords (Death Stranding, anyone?); to the symbiosis with the mermaid (fertilising the egg?); to the swimming toward the light; to the blob.
    • I think the title, 'Inside', could potentially be read as a development on this theme. Going into, working your way through, and exiting a body.
    • Once you're in, you're a hostile entity, and everything including the mermaids moves to intercept this 'virus'. One of them makes you friendlier, (see 'fertilising' above); until the blob becomes a tumour the body seems to have created inadvertently, and then needs to expunge.
    • The thugs, the scientists and the mermaids can be read as different cells trying to (variously) stop you from entering the 'body', kill you, transmorph you, or simply get you out of there entirely (see @brad's query around why some of them do this).
    • The section with the soundwaves seemed very heartbeat / pulse-like to me.
    • Noting my comments regards the blob looking like a tumour; by the end, did it look like a brain to anyone else?
    • Very finally on this one; the ending did make me think of Frankenstein's monster - broken out into the wilderness, rejected by everyone, and not a clue on where on earth to start now.

2. I think the political reading works pretty well too.

• Herding people into trucks hopefully needs no further elaboration; nor the experimentation upon, and enslavement of, the victims.
    • The various times that non-participants simply watch you and / or the drones (see the section where you have to step in time) clearly shows that the rest of society is at least non-interventionist, if not complicit in the whole affair.
    • Nor am I certain the boy is innocent in all this. He's not enslaving anyone, but quite happy to mentally control the drones when it suits him. Aside from the general removal of their free will, he drops them from great heights, even when this clearly causes them pain and in some cases dismemberment. Quite happy to do what he needs when he thinks it's all to 'the greater good'.
    • Again, the 'conscientious objector' theme could be an answer to @brad's question over why some scientists apparently have a different motivation to their co-workers.

I could go on - and might in a future post - but in the meantime, I completely agree this has to be pencilled in for some Game of the Year 'Best Moments' lists. This gave me two or three of my year to date, and I would be surprised if at least one of them didn't last through to December.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hive Mind.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell me I am not the only one that was thinking "Blitz Ball"! At the point where everybody runs over to the window of the spherical chamber and you wonder what they are watching in there.

MrAJonesy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MrAJonesy

I'm typing this on my phone and I don't know how to black out the text, sorry!! @broddity: I definitely get the biological themes, It felt like a game about birth or even abortion. The boy combining with the blob or 'egg' and then it is dropped into a dark water tunnel. At the bottom where you end up peeling the wall away, the floor even looks vaguely like a vagina... Very weird to me, but such an amazing gaming experience with a lot of symbolism. It's about time a game got people asking questions haha!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

What a wild ride. Very enjoyable and I love all of the theories I'm reading here - lots to mull over.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Why is this game called Inside?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@brad said:

@rickrockmann said:

I think they're actually tricking you into going into that water tank. They lure you into the area with the trapdoor to lock you into the tank. But then you break out. Unless they intended you to break out... but I think they're just trying to re-contain you.

Yeah, this is definitely something I considered. I also thought that perhaps it was all another stage of a grand experiment? But it's probably more that they were trying to recapture LIMB-O.

Here's a dumb idea: Inside is a prequel of sorts to Limbo, and Limbo is the boy's experience in the afterlife, or perhaps a dreamstate entered once he joined the hive-mind. This doesn't match up with Limbo boy's sister, though. :P

The alternate ending is interesting. I wonder if it's just a fun metaphor for the player playing the game, or if it's straight up meant to tell you that the boy was just another mind-controlled zombie. Perhaps the boy was an escaped experiment in living human mind control gone wrong as the boy battles the mind control with his own free will?

Perhaps this world is post-apocalyptic alien invasion with scientists trying to replicate the abilities of alien organisms. Or instead could the world be being run by these aliens as they experiment with organisms from their own world, significant portions of the human population being their guinea pigs (perhaps those that're dead? With those that survived working for them lest they become dead mind-controlled zombies?) Maybe the boy was fighting said mind control and had the goal of getting inside and freeing LIMB-O.

But then what happened with the boy being pulled under by the underwater creature? It's probably safe to assume at that point the boy died, and was then granted the technology to use mind control without a cap. If the boy is dead at that point, though, he's probably not exhibiting any more free-will. If he's being controlled by those running the experiment he probably wouldn't be breaking in to free LIMB-O. Was it all some sort of rebellion controlled from the safety of the alternate ending's vault?

Whatever we're supposed to make of the story, Playdead certainly enjoy commenting on the player's role of control in a videogame.

Sorry if none of this makes sense, it's all written off the cuff as I think about it, with little time given to flesh things out or make sense of it all.

Boyinred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Bezerker85

Finished the game last night/this morning. Had planned on going to bed as I was getting kind of tired and then I hit "that part". I was definitely wide-awake for the rest of the game. Took a screenshot of my TV using my phone and something about the shot just captivates me:

http://imgur.com/RNohvkG

Almost looks like something that would be in a Tool music video.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played this all in one sitting yesterday. I really liked it a lot. I love all the speculation and trying to piece together just what in the world was going on. I made an audible yelp type noise a couple times while playing. Totally into this game.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bkbroiler

@boyinred said:

@themasterds:

@themasterds said:

Why is this game called Inside?

Why indeed.

Well, you do end the game Outside, as opposed to Inside. And you go Inside people's minds.

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezerker285 said:

Finished the game last night/this morning. Had planned on going to bed as I was getting kind of tired and then I hit "that part". I was definitely wide-awake for the rest of the game.

So I wasn't tired, but I did need to empty my bladder right around THAT point.

And I didn't get off the sofa 'til I was done.

Honestly, the whole final sequence is astounding.

Pantheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Pantheus

I'd just like to bounce my thoughts off you guys as to the entire theme of the game:

The game is called Inside because its theme reflects processes that take place inside the human body.

IMO it was all a metaphor for conception / a failed birth. The vaginal tract at the end of the game (and the way it is ruptured by the player) and the amount of damage the miscarriage did to the "body" as it exited towards the end of the game was pretty plain to me. That being said, I think things go a bit deeper.

I believe the player character is actually the foreign entity that goes inside the body and actually causes this miscarriage to occur in the first place, be it a virus or disease of some sort. Maybe even a Plan-B or some sort of actual human intervention. The amount of parallels I could draw between the things in this game and the processes that take place within the human body are ridiculous, such as the "authority" figure(s) in the game AKA the immune system constantly seeking to eliminate the player if we show ourselves or behave out of line when being observed. I could go on for hours, trust me. The ending was the conceptual "disposal" of whatever remained of what was GOING to be a baby, ejected from the body and left basically dead on the shores where nobody cares about it anymore.

Just wanna see what others who have beaten the game think as well.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo that Mermaid thing reminded me of the girl from F.E.A.R.

BADBARRISTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Broddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@broddity: great post

Thanks duder!

(I'm going to assume you mean the 'some readings' one, and not the 'my bladder' one).

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The end part was pretty empowering after spending the entire game having to run from everything. HA HA HA TINY PUPPIES!

For what it's worth my favourite portion / puzzle of the game was the shockwaves. I turned up the subwoofer all the way up for that.

ChaosDUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradI'm also intrigued by the people helping out the blob. Same with the scientists who see you right before you get blobbed but don't do anything about it. Did they want you to go in there? I'm also intrigued by how aggressive that the soldier/security/dogs are in stopping you in the beginning of the game, but after your rampage there's no security that tries to take you down or anything. Just strikes me as odd that an organization who is so hell bent on taking down one little kid and have no qualms about being lethally violent about it are not violent in containing the blob. Did the scientists want the blob to survive? Did they want it to be free? One of the things I kept thinking was "Maybe they want to see what it can do." Like the corporation is so corporationy that they are more concerned with getting data from the blob than they are the safety of their employees.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cook66

The Steam description for the game is amazing once you've completed it: Hunted and alone, a boy finds himself drawn into the center of a dark project.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is all just a sequel to a boy and his blob right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.