Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Insomniac Games

Company »

Insomniac Games was founded in 1994, and for a decade developed titles exclusively for Sony platforms such as Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance. In 2013 they released their first multiplatform game, Fuse, on PS3 and Xbox 360, and in 2014 released their first current-gen title, Sunset Overdrive, exclusively on the Xbox One.

I guess petitions don't work.

• 53 results
    Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

"After petitions, clamoring, and general unrest from PlayStation fans, Insomniac has taken to the web to explain that Sunset Overdrive is still very much an Xbox One exclusive. To clarify, Insomniac's Tim Salvitti states, "Petitions will not change that. We have a partner in Microsoft, that we are happy with for this title. That doesn't mean we can't and won't work with other publishers (see Into the Nexus).

Salvitti further explains that it is possible one day, but not anytime soon, and the game is not a timed exclusive: "I will not say never because you never really know (heck Ratchet could end up on Xbox one day), but we are not planning on it being on the PS4, nor is it planned to be a timed exclusive. It is being developed and optimized for the Xbox One."

Destructoid: Insomniac: 'No plans for Sunset Overdrive on PS4'

Well that sounds alright. Like how I read some guy on IGN say, "They LOVEEEEE their petitions. DmC34, Kingdom Hearts, MGS anything they lose (for the better, better sales means better games) they'll petition." And that's pretty true. No one complains that Tekken is on Xbox, but dammit is it shameful to play Metal Gear on Xbox. Although, it sure would have been nice to see Yakuza on Xbox, or even US state-side at all. Oh hey, and dat Titanfall. Final Fantasy, and then XV. i still remember how people were so jazzed about having FF XV be PS exclusive.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wait hold on, you're telling me that a bunch of people whining to Insomniac to put out a Microsoft-published game on a non-Microsoft console didn't work? Well I for one am shocked!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3 MattyFTM  Moderator

I'm surprised that Sony never attempted to purchase Insomniac like they did with Naughty Dog. It seems like a pairing that would work really well, just like Naughty Dog.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By ArtisanBreads

hahahah thread title is the best.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Maybe they'll announce that the PS4 is getting the Insomniac exclusive everyone wants... Fuse 2

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By JasonR86

lol. Petitions are always and always will be moronic.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Justin258

Ratchet could end up on Xbox?

So that means Ratchet could end up on PC?

What the fuck are you waiting for, Insomniac? I will buy all of the Ratchet games out of pure nostalgia despite knowing that I'll only play them for an hour before realizing that I got tired of this formula years ago!

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Here's a hot tip for all y'all; that GTAV PC version petition? Pointless. (it's coming, just be patient)

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MudMan

@jasonr86 said:

I was sent a petition to take down a TV show.

Like, an actual petition for signatures, which is meant to show massive support for an initiative, about removing a show from TV that is sustained by eyeballs watching it.

I want to restate this, it was not a petition for me to stop watching the show, this was a petition I could sign to get a show I'm already not watching off the air. For the network to cancel it despite the people watching it because they got enough signatures from people not watching it for it to not exist.

I keep saying it in different ways because I still find it hard to understand myself.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Did these people learn nothing from Bayonetta 2?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mattyftm said:

I'm surprised that Sony never attempted to purchase Insomniac like they did with Naughty Dog. It seems like a pairing that would work really well, just like Naughty Dog.

Is that true? With the risk of upsetting people: I have the feeling that games developed by Naughty Dog have gone up in quality over the years where Insomniac has been slipping. I don't know if it is a fair comparison but that is my feeling.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mattyftm: Maybe they did but Insomniac wanted to keep their independence. Who knows.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By MildMolasses

@jasonr86 said:

Not necessarily. An actual, physical petition that could be presented to a city councillor over a zoning issue or some other legislative manner can work. But one on the internet that's based on hissy fits and tantrums won't

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RonGalaxy

@believer258 said:

What the fuck are you waiting for, Insomniac? I will buy all of the Ratchet games out of pure nostalgia despite knowing that I'll only play them for an hour before realizing that I got tired of this formula years ago!

Sony owns the ratchet IP. So no. I mean, if they ever lose the IP/sell it, then he is right. But, from my understanding, the only way it could happen now is if sony allowed it to happen

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well I guess that's that then.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

@believer258: The guy misspoke. Sony own all 1st and 2nd party IP ever developed for their platforms. The reason being is they lost Crash Bandicoot and Spyro I think when Universal Studio was bought out by Vivendi which now also own Activision. One dissolved into the other and so Activision has creative control over those IP(at least til they buy themselves out I assume). Although Sony only published the games, the entire series collectively still sold 40 million copies. Since then Sony own's every property they touch.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@believer258 said:

Sony owns the ratchet IP. So no. I mean, if they ever lose the IP/sell it, then he is right. But, from my understanding, the only way it could happen now is if sony allowed it to happen

@believer258: The guy misspoke. Sony own all 1st and 2nd party IP ever developed for their platforms. The reason being is they lost Crash Bandicoot and Spyro I think when Universal Studio was bought out by Vivendi which now also own Activision. One dissolved into the other and so Activision has creative control over those IP(at least til they buy themselves out I assume). Although Sony only published the games, the entire series collectively still sold 40 million copies. Since then Sony own's every property they touch.

This is the impression that I've been under for ages. Got my damn hopes up and everything.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What I'm about to say is going to tread dangerously close to some stupid fanboy shit, so you have been warned... Go fuck yourself Insomniac. When they decided to go multiplatform with Fuse, they said it was a decision they made so that they could give the widest audience the ability to play their games. There were probably a lot of dumb Sony fans who felt betrayed that they stopped being exclusive, but personally I thought it was great! I think more people should get to play their games (even if that one sucked). Then they announce that they're going back to exclusive development... with a different console. Now I can't play their game, when supposedly they were trying to show commitment to a wider audience. So all of the talk about how multiplatform is the best solution for them was just that: talk. That makes it look like maybe they had a bad falling out with Sony while they were working for them exclusively, and if that were the case then I would totally be willing to forgive their decision to jump to the opposing console. But then they announced another exclusive game... for Sony! So what the hell? If you want to be a fan of Insomniac's games you have to own every existing console? I know they're a company out to make money, so it makes sense to do business with whichever publisher is willing to give you the best deal. However I think when those deals come at the expense of fans who just want to enjoy your games that that's some really shitty business. It's only natural that fans they've spent years earning would feel a little peeved that they aren't capable of playing the games by this developer that they've been enjoying for years, unless they buy the opposing system. Especially because even if they did buy an Xbox to play Insomniac games, they're clearly making no guarantees that there won't be yet another Sony exclusive too! And if there was then all of the new fans they got on Xbox would be pissed off! What are they even DOING!

End Rant. Honestly I haven't enjoyed an Insomniac game since a Crack in Time though, so I don't even really care, but the whole situation seems so obviously stupid to me, that it's a little difficult not being frustrated. It's like watching someone shoot themselves in the foot, pick up the gun, and then go for the other foot too.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they'll announce that the PS4 is getting the Insomniac exclusive everyone wants... Fuse 2

Ha ! Ha !

RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

"Speaking of the ultimate goal, we would like to deliver PlayStation games to all devices," Yoshida stated in an interview with Dengeki Online (translated by DualShockers). "So we're considering various things like PC, TVs, Blu-ray players, smartphones, and tablets."

"We hope to continue to expand not only to Sony devices, but even to devices other than Sony's,"

It will come to PC eventually.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess not.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@mildmolasses said:

@jasonr86 said:

Not necessarily. An actual, physical petition that could be presented to a city councillor over a zoning issue or some other legislative manner can work. But one on the internet that's based on hissy fits and tantrums won't

Basically petitions are only relevant when they indicate the wishes of a constituency to an elected official. Petitions have just about no bearing on any situation involving commercial interests and business deals.

The idea that someone even created this petition about Sunset Overdrive is just kinda sad. No petition of this sort has ever worked; if they did make another version of the game, it would almost certainly be because they decided to on their own.

RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

@hunter5024: One thing I have learnt about the games industry is that it has a lot of talent and is huge, but everyone knows each other in some way. People can have their console wars all they'd like but the creative people behind the games don't always stay in one spot. There are artists from Naughty Dog that worked at the top level and now are working on Donkey Kong Country Returns. There are also a few who worked on God of War who then went on to make games such as Dead Space. The point is you can't burn bridges in the industry because word gets around. Insomniac and Sony very likely still have a great business relationship even if it doesn't reflect that at E3.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@roarimadinosaur: I wasn't really saying they were screwing themselves over because it would make them look bad to other companies, but because it would make them look bad to their fans. If I put myself in the shoes of a big Insomniac fan, I think I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to buy both consoles to play their games. And fracturing your releases like that doesn't seem like a very good way to support or build a fan base.

RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

@hunter5024: Fan bases usually go where the developers games land which is usually on a Sony console and that sucks for that fan base who expected that but Insomniac are willing to take the risk to build a bigger audience for their games and perhaps making an exclusive shooter for the Xbox console is the way for them to go. It sucks but it doesn't suck. I can see both sides of what went into their decision and if that means they get to make more games then so be it.

Who am i kidding Rip Insomniac Games ;_;J/K

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, Insomniac was making a game? The last I heard from them was the silliness about the R&C movie.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Insomniac left it's sugar-daddy(Sony) to become the town bicycle. Can't really say I enjoyed the way they slaughtered Fuse for their EA overlords and their new game doesn't look interesting at all.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mildmolasses said:

@jasonr86 said:

Basically petitions are only relevant when they indicate the wishes of a constituency to an elected official. Petitions have just about no bearing on any situation involving commercial interests and business deals.

The idea that someone even created this petition about Sunset Overdrive is just kinda sad. No petition of this sort has ever worked; if they did make another version of the game, it would almost certainly be because they decided to on their own.

I couldn't have said it better.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wasn't really saying they were screwing themselves over because it would make them look bad to other companies, but because it would make them look bad to their fans. If I put myself in the shoes of a big Insomniac fan, I think I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to buy both consoles to play their games. And fracturing your releases like that doesn't seem like a very good way to support or build a fan base.

You have to consider at least that maybe they started designing the game they wanted to make, and just realized that the XOne is more suited to it. I really don't like most of the things MS has done, but it's true that they have a stable international system of servers that devs can rely on. Not even their "cloud processing" whatever, just their years and years of supporting multiplayer themselves instead of forcing the studio to maintain their own servers. I know Sony's working on a similar thing, but it just doesn't exist yet. So seeing that Sunset Overdrive is an online multiplayer persistent world kind of thing, their console choice just makes a ton of sense.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By abendlaender

Well then. On to the "Bayonetta 2 for Xbone" petition, that'll work for sure!

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonr86 said:

lol, yeah man, petitions and generalization = moronic, amiright?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Know what works? Money! Microsoft paid good money for the exclusive, so no amount of "Gee-whiz, guys can you put it out on something else" will work.

What trumps money? Well you could try 'shutting up' about a game most people don't even remember is coming out - that at least might mean it doesn't sell one more copy than it would have. Not my point of view, since I don't care, but IN FACT whining about what you don't like pretty much makes what you don't like sell better through free publicity.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@sharkethic:

Lol, whiners and bitches all of them if you ask me.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sonicrift

Operation Rainfall worked. I love Xenoblade, but damn those Rainfall people were annoying. Every single social media post Nintendo made was bombarded with comments like "XENOBLADE LAST STORY PANDORAS TOWER" over and over from the same 20 people. I remember checking out their very vocal community on Facebook during the height of their noise and seeing they had 73 members. They ran petitions and letter writing campaigns, and Nintendo buckled and published Xenoblade. The big difference here is that Nintendo was the publisher of that game. I found them annoying, but they got results, and I ended up really liking that game.

If you want a PS4 version of Insomniac's new game, you should appeal to the game's publisher. While you're at it, see if they'll do a PS4 Halo Trilogy, too.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonicrift said:

@bisonhero said:

Operation Rainfall worked. I love Xenoblade, but damn those Rainfall people were annoying. Every single social media post Nintendo made was bombarded with comments like "XENOBLADE LAST STORY PANDORAS TOWER" over and over from the same 20 people. I remember checking out their very vocal community on Facebook during the height of their noise and seeing they had 73 members. They ran petitions and letter writing campaigns, and Nintendo buckled and published Xenoblade. The big difference here is that Nintendo was the publisher of that game. I found them annoying, but they got results, and I ended up really liking that game.

If you want a PS4 version of Insomniac's new game, you should appeal to the game's publisher. While you're at it, see if they'll do a PS4 Halo Trilogy, too.

Even though that drew attention to those games, I'm willing to bet Nintendo did their own research (possibly prompted by Operation Rainfall) as to whether it made sense to release those games in North America. Maybe they originally said "ahhh fuck it" without even checking, but I'm still willing to bet they ran a bunch of focus groups to determine the viability of those releases.

Anyway, that's totally separate from this Sunset Overdrive issue, in that Operation Rainfall came about due to laziness/risk aversion on Nintendo's part, whereas Sunset Overdrive is very obviously a contractual exclusive to Microsoft's platform and no petition is going to change that.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mrfluke
    Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be much more worried about it getting the Overstrike treatment rather than it being a console exclusive.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By SSully

@mattyftm said:

While it would have made sense after the PS2 era, insomniac didn't exactly light the world on fire with the stuff they did on ps3. I don't think the Resistance games or Ratchet and Clank did that well on ps3.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Petitions give people the illusion of importance. Let them keep that, I guess.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@jasonr86 said:

They did brought Dark Souls to the PC.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

You're a winner at heart, internet.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93 said:

@believer258 said:

@roarimadinosaur said:

This is the impression that I've been under for ages. Got my damn hopes up and everything.

Well, I mean, they did put out HD versions of those games on PS3.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShaggE

Haven't we learned anything from Postal 2? If somebody doesn't sign your petition, you pee on them! Rinse lather repeat until the whole world is on your side! Sheesh, people.

Sheesh.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AngriGhandi

We've seen rather abundantly over the past year the ability that customer outrage has to change a company's decisions-- but... petitions are usually not that.

Petitions are, by their very nature, places for the most vocal minority to complain, and usually no one else. After all, who else would care enough to seek out a petition?

I mean, make no mistake, if ten million people signed the petition, it would be taken very, very seriously. But they didn't. Because what is Sunset Overdrive? I don't even know.

I do think it's funny though, how games like this and Dead Rising 3 and Titanfall being XBO-exclusive indicate just how little anyone expected the PS4 to be the next-gen front-runner when they were making these decisions a year ago.

It's been a crazy year.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

This seems a little less egregious than previous petitions. I mean, sure it's a completely ridiculous petition that totally ignores basic reasoning or logic, but at least they aren't trying to restrict the game to one platform a la (les?) DMC3, Final Fantasy XIII, etc. That whole notion that a game was somehow unpure by being multiplatform was the fucking worst manifestation of idiotic brand loyalty.

RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

@angrighandi: I would argue Sony are still the under dogs even now. Pitching your product and marketing is one thing but they have to be able to deliver on everything. Especially online service stability and good download speeds. In my heart I am not sure Sony will be able to deliver that on launch day when potentially 1 million players will be hitting their download servers wanting to patch or download their games. It's a huge ask.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sonicrift said:

@bisonhero said:

Even though that drew attention to those games, I'm willing to bet Nintendo did their own research (possibly prompted by Operation Rainfall) as to whether it made sense to release those games in North America. Maybe they originally said "ahhh fuck it" without even checking, but I'm still willing to bet they ran a bunch of focus groups to determine the viability of those releases.

Anyway, that's totally separate from this Sunset Overdrive issue, in that Operation Rainfall came about due to laziness/risk aversion on Nintendo's part, whereas Sunset Overdrive is very obviously a contractual exclusive to Microsoft's platform and no petition is going to change that.

Didn't Dark Souls get put on PC after From Soft flat out said it wouldn't because of the petition?

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the internet petition to get the National Anthem changed to the Ignition Remix didnt work, nothing ever will

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They won't listen to petitions, but they'll listen to some snot-nosed 12 year old kid who says that their game looks like something his little brother would play, and then proceed to make it all "dark" and "edgy."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.