Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Inverted Controls

Concept »

The action of inverting the controls for looking and aiming (i.e., instead of pushing up on the analog stick to look up, you push down.)

Inverted or non-inverted? (to be specific: up-down in a first-person shooter)

• 68 results
    Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Inverted or non-inverted? (to be specific: up-down in a first-person shooter) (265 votes)

Inverted 41%
    Non-inverted 60%

The wiki says "the majority of players prefer un-inverted controls"

I think this is true, but I wonder by how much. Vote away!

• 
    brutushayesosu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Inverted. Burn with me!

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn normal peasants! Glorius inverted for life!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hitler!? Who said anything about Hitler!?

Like others above have mentioned, I too go both ways depending on the input device. I need to set my control scheme to inverted when using a controller/gamepad, but I keep the standard normal control when using a mouse and keyboard. I think this is because before I started playing first-person shooters on the PC in the 90's, I was playing flight sims with a stick and throttle. I just got used to pulling back to look up. Inverted feels "normal" to me.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I used to play inverted, because before I played my first FPS game I used to dabble quite a bit with games like Air Combat and Wing Commander. It just seemed natural at the time. I quickly grew out of that weird habit, however. Now I press the stick in whatever direction I want to look at. You know, like a normal person.

JoeBigfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#55  Edited By JoeBigfoot

The pole currently states 40% Inverted 61% not inverted. I ain't no maths man, but something seems fishy here.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

"Non-inverted"?

I think you mean "the right way to play video games."

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joebigfoot: Now it's 42-60. I suspect some non-inverts are tinkering with the results. Typical.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Non Inverted, when I aim a gun/mouse I don't move it in the opposite direction I want to shoot.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce:

Man that sounds awful! I'm glad it all eventually sorted itself out. Gaming feels second nature to me now. I can't imagine how it would feel for something to just switch off like that. :-)

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By Hunter5024

By Non-Inverted I assume you mean "Normal"

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn it, I forgot to mention I didn't want any judgement here! Everyone should feel welcome! (/jk, I know it's all in good fun)

For the record I tend to use inverted, but if it's set otherwise I can typically make do. And that's why I didn't write "Normal" there :)

Interesting point was brought up about mouse + keyboard vs controller; I was picturing a controller when I made the poll.

I promise the weird math isn't my fault, if you look at the source there are some more precise values but they still don't add up to 100% (further away than rounding would explain).

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to play Halo 3 with a guy who was inverted.

And he played like the monster that he is.

I couldn't even dream of being as good as him.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I played inverted for most of my childhood but realized it was time to switch when I bought dirge of Cerberus and found no inverted option.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Guys, we've found the new Culture War. All these years talking about gay marriage, abortion, and all that other shit were WASTED. All that potential could have been directed into something that truly matters. Like, the onus on the world's last remaining set of decent folk to cleanse the Earth of heathen "normals"!

Fellow inverts, we have been oppressed for far too long. These unbelievers have the audacity to fuckin' call themselves "normals." All this talk about inclusivity in games, all this progress we've made with feminists and transgenders, and yet, people STILL set the default controls to "normal," as if being otherwise is a mark of shame. It's not right. Being classified as normal is an unfair value judgement. "Normal is right." "Not normal is wrong." It's like if you could only be either a normal person or a gay person. That shit doesn't fly! These people look at my argument and declare, "That's a bunch of P.C. bullshit." That's when I snap back at them, "Well, you're a PIECE of bullshit!"

We need to show the world what's right. To show the world that we can arrive at an inclusive solution that benefits everybody. To show you all! That the first Ratchet and Clank game got it right. They called it, what we have been brainwashed and conditioned into thinking is termed 'inverted', "normal," and that's the way it should be, forever and always.

Video games should be inclusive, and that means inclusive to people like me. Not like Herbert Moon. FUCK Herbert Moon. He tilts the stick up to go up. He's also fucking racist. Fuck that guy! You guys are telling me you want to associate yourselves with THAT guy?! Man, fuck you all!

(Just so you guys know, I'm trying to make a legitimate point in the second paragraph.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#66  Edited By Humanity

By Non-Inverted I assume you mean "Normal"

Haha next thing you'll be telling me is that you don't crouch by clicking in the stick

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The one of the first games I remember playing with a joystick was 'Star Raiders' as a kid, as it was a flying game it used inverted controls, it stuck. Now I simply cannot play anything if it’s not inverted.

Rockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Non-inverted. It's amazing though how many people seem to have voted otherwise! I would have considered this a non-issue, everybody I know plays non-inverted...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.