Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 26, 2009

As Han Tao, you'll attempt to reclaim the Star of Destiny from the ever-so-eloquently named Evil Overlord.

Namco's Invincible Tiger: Comin' Atcha In Three Dimensions

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    Namco Bandai's got a new oldschool 2D beat-'em-up called Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao coming to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. And by "oldschool," I mean "pretty simplistic." Judging by a quick hands-on demo, the game seems to use one button for punches, one for kicks, one for jumps, and one to interact with occasional background elements. You can move into and out of the background in some spots. Mostly it's about beating up a bunch of kung fu fighters and jumping around a lot. There's not a lot to the action, which at least means it's a pick-up-and-play sort of thing.

Han Tao's main hook, however, is stereoscopic 3D support. You know, like the red-and-blue glasses you get at the movie theater? Kind of like that. Namco Bandai had some fancy electronic 3D glasses at their demo which worked with a sensor mounted on top of the TV, but a company rep said the game will let you use a variety of different kinds of 3D glasses. Since this is a downloadable game, there obviously won't be any glasses included with your purchase, though the rep implied some kind of announcement about a glasses tie-in may be forthcoming.

The game has a real chop-socky '70s kung fu movie vibe going on, with a dirty-looking film grain filter and such, so the 3D thing seems appropriate here. And I have to admit, the seemingly shallow action became somewhat more appealing when there were little kung fu dudes flying out of the TV and straight at my face. I hope Namco makes it easy to obtain some compatible glasses, though; it may be hard to muster the effort to track some down, otherwise.

Check out this trailer for a two-dimensional taste of the gameplay and visual style.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    Namco Bandai's got a new oldschool 2D beat-'em-up called Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao coming to Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network. And by "oldschool," I mean "pretty simplistic." Judging by a quick hands-on demo, the game seems to use one button for punches, one for kicks, one for jumps, and one to interact with occasional background elements. You can move into and out of the background in some spots. Mostly it's about beating up a bunch of kung fu fighters and jumping around a lot. There's not a lot to the action, which at least means it's a pick-up-and-play sort of thing.

Han Tao's main hook, however, is stereoscopic 3D support. You know, like the red-and-blue glasses you get at the movie theater? Kind of like that. Namco Bandai had some fancy electronic 3D glasses at their demo which worked with a sensor mounted on top of the TV, but a company rep said the game will let you use a variety of different kinds of 3D glasses. Since this is a downloadable game, there obviously won't be any glasses included with your purchase, though the rep implied some kind of announcement about a glasses tie-in may be forthcoming.

The game has a real chop-socky '70s kung fu movie vibe going on, with a dirty-looking film grain filter and such, so the 3D thing seems appropriate here. And I have to admit, the seemingly shallow action became somewhat more appealing when there were little kung fu dudes flying out of the TV and straight at my face. I hope Namco makes it easy to obtain some compatible glasses, though; it may be hard to muster the effort to track some down, otherwise.

Check out this trailer for a two-dimensional taste of the gameplay and visual style.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Invincible Tiger should be an action game starring Tiger Woods.

Trnck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Trnck

Well this game interests me.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Junpei

Makes me really wanna go back and play Kung Fu for the NES.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Milkman

How can they just release game and say "HEY THIS WOULD BE COOL IF YOU HAD SOME 3-D GLASSES"? There better be some kind of tie-in.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By BD_Mr_Bubbles

what's next "in order to play this piece of DLC you must go buy a new peripheral for a game you already own" sheesh

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Media_Master

Nice sound effects!

Enigma2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Enigma2099

... and people b*tched about Dynasty Warriors? I love beatemups, and I still wasn't impressesd with this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.