Reports Suggest iPad 3 Announcement Next Month

• 169 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -
If the iPad 3 actually comes out in March, it would be just weeks after Sony launches the Vita.

Apple will show off the long expected iPad 3 the first week of March, alleges AllThingsD, a publication that has reliably predicted Apple media events a few weeks in advance in the past.

For all the rumors and speculation about Apple, the company often works in predictable cycles. The iPad was announced on January 2010, the iPad 2 was revealed on March 2011 and previous reports had pegged the first news on the iPad 3 for early this year.

The Loop, another reliable source of Apple information in the past, gave AllThingsD’s report a thumbs up.

What the iPad 3 features other than updated hardware specifications remains to be seen, but it’s largely expected it will sport a much improved “Retina display,” first introduced with the iPhone 4.

The screen resolution would be much higher--rumored at 2048×1536--which would be really pretty.

The turnaround from announcement to release on Apple products is usually pretty quick. The iPad was announced in January and released in April, while the iPad 2 was announced in March and released...later in March.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4623 posts) -
If the iPad 3 actually comes out in March, it would be just weeks after Sony launches the Vita.

Apple will show off the long expected iPad 3 the first week of March, alleges AllThingsD, a publication that has reliably predicted Apple media events a few weeks in advance in the past.

For all the rumors and speculation about Apple, the company often works in predictable cycles. The iPad was announced on January 2010, the iPad 2 was revealed on March 2011 and previous reports had pegged the first news on the iPad 3 for early this year.

The Loop, another reliable source of Apple information in the past, gave AllThingsD’s report a thumbs up.

What the iPad 3 features other than updated hardware specifications remains to be seen, but it’s largely expected it will sport a much improved “Retina display,” first introduced with the iPhone 4.

The screen resolution would be much higher--rumored at 2048×1536--which would be really pretty.

The turnaround from announcement to release on Apple products is usually pretty quick. The iPad was announced in January and released in April, while the iPad 2 was announced in March and released...later in March.

Staff
#2 Posted by English (159 posts) -

Looking forward to it

#3 Edited by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

Great Tested article. My first gen iPad still works so I'll stick to that.

#4 Posted by Cyrisaurus (455 posts) -

You got your Tested.com in my GiantBomb.com!

#5 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

Please this must go to tested , lets not have another site flooded with tablet/smartphones stories

#6 Posted by Animasta (14692 posts) -

I thought this was a site about video games

#7 Posted by FoolishChaos (437 posts) -

IOS games are a thing, I guess

#8 Posted by Klaimore (948 posts) -

Meh meh meh tested meh meh meh Patrick meh meh meh Wills cum face

#9 Posted by Furyjoell (260 posts) -

Please get this tech news off my videogame website, you have a sister site for this stuff.

#10 Posted by mostafiew (6 posts) -

What's an I-pad?

#11 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -

There are a ton of video games on the ipad. How is this not relevant to video games?

#12 Posted by sawtooth (442 posts) -

Will it play video games?

#13 Posted by Aetheldod (3586 posts) -

@web966: Tested already covers those

#14 Posted by MisterMouse (3554 posts) -

I have been planning on purchasing the iPad 3 for a while now once it was released, nice to hear that it is around the corner.

#15 Posted by wewantsthering (1567 posts) -

This belongs here because the iPad is a pretty big gaming platform now. Whether or not you like it, or think it's worse than DS/PSP is a different discussion entirely.

#16 Posted by Alexandruxx (228 posts) -

You know what? My first generation Ipad still works fine.

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9996 posts) -

Why are people mentioning that this shouldn't be here?

The X360 also now plays videos, has apps, has TV, music services, etc. Let's also move that over to Tested.

iOS games are a thing, people.

#18 Posted by AndrewB (7617 posts) -

The retina display would be what ultimately pushes me over the edge in buying such a device, so I'm stoked.

#19 Posted by Groundings (77 posts) -

Hopefully it won't have a glass back surface like the iphone 4S

#20 Posted by Itwastuesday (966 posts) -

where the lego vids at

#21 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5425 posts) -

I want an iPad!

Interested in seeing what they do with this one.

#22 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

iPad 2S!

#23 Posted by mosespippy (4185 posts) -

Product announcement rumours? Must be a slow news day because this is really slumming it content wise.

#24 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -
@Aetheldod well giantbomb can cover it as well. It is relevant to both sites. Tested has stories about video game hardware. I dont see the problem.
#25 Posted by hwy_61 (922 posts) -

Not looking good for the Vita. Not at all.

#26 Edited by KingCrimson4life (18 posts) -

Cool, another Ipad I can completely ignore. Definitely could care less.

#27 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Leave this to Tested. I know iOS games are a thing but let's face it, anybody visiting this site isn't only, or even primarily an iOS gamer. It's also just a rumour and not even a surprising one at that.

I may buy the next iPad but as I said in another thread, I don't think I can justify it as I already own a MacBook Air.

#28 Posted by DavehMK (1 posts) -

how did this get here? I thought you people didn't post rumours!

#29 Posted by iceman228433 (616 posts) -

WTF a Ipad story is this tested.com

#30 Posted by Detrian (1126 posts) -
@web966 said:
There are a ton of video games on the ipad. How is this not relevant to video games?
Probably because the website doesn't cover those games at all?
#31 Posted by mikey87144 (1775 posts) -

This is not relevant video game news.

#32 Posted by Sergio (2130 posts) -

@web966: You'd have a point if they started posting Android and Windows Phone 7 articles as well.

#33 Posted by ChrisTaran (1610 posts) -

@KingCrimson4life said:

Cool, another Ipad I can completely ignore. Definitely could care less.

What would it take for you to care less?

#34 Posted by 014 (353 posts) -

Uninterested. My IT department just got an iPad 2 so we can play with it. The department consists of my boss and myself. That means I have a lot of opportunity to play with it. It sits on an end table at home, unused. There is a gaming desktop, a MBP, MacBook, and two Android phones at home. The iPad just doesn't offer anything new. 

But the Vita will. I will use it on my bus/plane commutes. Why don't I like the iPad on those circumstances? Well, I'm an introvert. I don't like people watching my dang screen! I don't want people to see my anime and think I'm a child. Plus, the iPad doesn't fit in my pocket. My Android phone does, so will the Vita (barely, it looks like!).

#35 Posted by Sergio (2130 posts) -

@hwy_61: I don't see why that would be the case. Their prices are different. One lacks physical controls. I own an iPad 2 and plan on getting a Vita, but not an iPad 3.

#36 Posted by paulwade1984 (478 posts) -

Wow Patrick. They pay you to write stuff like this?

I wish i had a job where i could ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+v an unsubstantiated rumour from another website and call it a news post.

#37 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

This belongs here because the iPad is a pretty big gaming platform now. Whether or not you like it, or think it's worse than DS/PSP is a different discussion entirely.

So are PC's but you don't see GB announcing new laptops. Besides Tested has an article about this already.

#38 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

please no iphone or ipad related news.

#39 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Why do people keep buying the same thing over and over.

#40 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Why do people keep buying the same thing over and over.

Most people don't, only the biggest fans do, and of course people getting them for tech review purposes.

At least the iPad 3 seems like a worthy upgrade over the first, the iPad 2 offered very little over the original.

@admanb said:

@dagas said:

@wewantsthering said:

So are PC's but you don't see GB announcing new laptops. Besides Tested has an article about this already.

New laptops don't represent a dramatic change in platform.

Neither will the iPad 3, aside from developers having to scale games to a new resolution and likely improvements in graphics. iOS 5 isn't even 6 months old yet.

#41 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -
@dagas said:

@wewantsthering said:

New laptops don't represent a dramatic change in platform.
#42 Posted by web966 (87 posts) -
@Detrian So just because they havent covered ios in the past means they never can? Ios gaming is huge and its only going to get bigger. it would be stupid not to cover it.
#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Curious to see what they announce. I have my iphone and my macbook pro so I doubt I would need to get one. The games that re just iPAD only are not that exciting.

#44 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@web966 said:

@Detrian So just because they havent covered ios in the past means they never can? Ios gaming is huge and its only going to get bigger. it would be stupid not to cover it.

They don't cover iOS games though and it's a gaming site, why cover the release (rumoured information) of an iPad?!

Tested already handle the tech news side of things and do App of the Day which is usually iOS games.

#45 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Sooty: If that were true they wouldn't release them on a yearly basis.
#46 Posted by Enigmatical (135 posts) -

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

#47 Posted by craigymail (199 posts) -
#48 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Sooty: If that were true they wouldn't release them on a yearly basis.

It is true, the iPad continues to sell well because they haven't reached a point where everybody who wants one has one.

Plus new product release = tech sites talk about it, more advertising results in more buzz. More word of mouth. Shiny toy syndrome etc etc.

@Enigmatical said:

iPad is a gaming system, no matter how badly you Apple haters want to deny that... and the announcement of a new iPad is the announcement of a new gaming system. I don't see why this doesn't belong here.

Thanks for the heads up, Patrick. This was the announcement I was waiting for... going to finally jump onto the iPad ship when the third one comes.

Giant Bomb hasn't covered any iOS games that I can think of, and this is just a rumour about a tablet computer's display type and release date. It is quite clear why people are a bit confused about it being here, again, they share an office with Tested.

and don't call me an Apple hater. I love my MacBook, best laptop I've ever owned.

Edit: oh yeah, Game Dev Story was reviewed. So that's one out of a few hundred thousand. (millions?)

#49 Posted by Rongaryen (275 posts) -

@Detrian said:

@web966 said:
Probably because the website doesn't cover those games at all?

That's not entirely true. Ryan reviewed Game Dev Story. But, that's the exception. iOS stuff, games included, is more a Tested thing than a Giant Bomb thing.

#50 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@craigymail said:

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.