Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPad

Platform »

The iPad is a series of touch-screen tablet devices developed by Apple. The iPad can browse the web, playback local and streamed content, and run a large variety of third party apps, including games.

Struggling to resist buying a iPad Mini now

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Like the topic says, I'm really struggling to resist buying a mini right now as opposed to waiting for the inevitable retina one, probably in a couple of months around xmas time. I'm really into...casual (for lack of a better word) iOS games atm, so much that I really dont feel like playing "actual" games. My iphone is starting to put a strain on my eyes, and I dont want a normal sized ipad as the mini would be better to take with me to work or something, and I really just want it as a games machine (silly I know), basically, as if it was a portable like a vita or a 3ds. Also the fact that im working more lately (5 nights a week, all graveyard shifts midnight to 8) is really making me tired on the days off, and I just want to lay in bed a bit and click on my farms or whatever, or play some TCG games (im loving them on the iphone so i imagine the experience is much better on a screen where I can see the damn cards).

So yeah, I know the smart thing would be to wait for the retina one, but the problem with waiting for shit is usually, you want to buy shit because you want shit at that moment... hell who knows if Ill still be into these games in 2 months. I know Im into them now (a lot more than I ever thought possible, but thats another can of worms) so I dunno what to do. Maybe just get the cheapest one, just the 16gig one, and then get a bigger retina one down the line? To be fair for the stuff I want to play I probably dont need a retina one (assuming it has a better gfx chip like the ipad), I dont want to play any FPSs or anything like that, hell, in the future it will probably exclusvely be a Hearthstone device (Im going to go so deep into that, its scary) and I bet that doesnt need a retina one to run well >_> So yeah, thoughts fellow bombers? Do the smart thing and wait and keep raping my eyes with the iphone, or just buy one now because its now that I need/want one?

PS: Anyone has a mini and knows if you can play with it plugged to the wall without losing power? I know the ipad has a problem with it losing power whilst still plugged in (running apps of course), even my mom called me up and asked me if that was normal because it happens on hers. That's kinda important.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Andorski

I have an iPad 3 and have no problems running intensive apps and losing no power while plugged into the wall. My iPad actually charges slightly when doing so. I believe this is dependent on the cable length. I can charge and use my iPad 3 with my 3ft. USB cable, but not my 6ft. USB cable for some reason.

Anyways, don't buy the Mini until the next revision is released. You might be happy with it if you buy it right now, but you will instantly regret it once the retina version comes out.

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

I swear by my mini, but if I were buying one now I'd probably wait for a Retina version to be announced. It's really the *only* complaint I have about it, but it's definitely not something that is necessary to making the device enjoyable to use. I also don't know how close they are to announcing or releasing a retina version.

However, if you feel like you /really/ need/want one right now and have the funds for it, I'd say go ahead and get one.

To answer your other question, I barely ever use it while it's plugged into the wall, but afaik I've never had the battery drain while using it plugged in.

Edit: Oh, since there's an Apple event in a couple days maybe just wait and if they don't say anything then go ahead and get one.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

I have an iPad 3 and have no problems running intensive apps and losing no power while plugged into the wall. My iPad actually charges slightly when doing so. I believe this is dependent on the cable length. I can charge and use my iPad 3 with my 3ft. USB cable, but not my 6ft. USB cable for some reason.

Anyways, don't buy the Mini until the next revision is released. You might be happy with it if you buy it right now, but you will instantly regret it once the retina version comes out.

damn it Andor, get your reasonable advices out of my thread, im looking for validation on my impulse purchase damn it! :(

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The more you use a device, the more energy it needs to operate but battery life on a Mini should see you through a day of super heavy use. I can happily leave mine for 4/5 days or so with my usage patterns without charging.

At the end of the day, if you've used a Mini and like the performance and form factor as it is just now, I'd go for it. But I would wait at least 3 days until the Apple event on the 10th.

Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

They're updating the iPad line in October, (probably late October). So you could either get a better device, or the same one but cheaper. Current rumours are that the new update won't have retina though.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're updating the iPad line in October, (probably late October). So you could either get a better device, or the same one but cheaper. Current rumours are that the new update won't have retina though.

I didnt follow the previous years, are they usually that fast between announcement and releasing products? I know there is a apple event on the 10th, but all I heard was it was iphone related, not ipad

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@rhaknar said:

@metzo_paino said:

I didnt follow the previous years, are they usually that fast between announcement and releasing products? I know there is a apple event on the 10th, but all I heard was it was iphone related, not ipad

Usually they are either available the day of the announcement or within a few days, unless it is the Mac Pro. They still haven't released those. I ordered my iPad the day it was announced and got it a week later.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nothing wrong with getting it now, it's still a great tablet. I prefer the iPad 4 and find it quite easy to take everywhere with me or throw in my bag with my MacBook but the Mini is pretty sweet. I'm pretty tempted to get one down the road to supplement my 4. I'll probably get a first gen Mini after the new ones come out.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Nekroskop

If you're buying a tablet for gaming, you're doing it wrong.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why is that? IOS games can be fun? Bad Piggies, Terraria, Minecraft Pocket Edition, Infinity Blade, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds are just a few games that come in mind that are well worth the cash.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Zelyre

If the Mini is essentially the iPad 2 with more ram, I'd hold off on a hardware refresh.

The last time I tried playing XCom on my iPad 2, it was like hot trash. Framerate in the teens to twenties with frequent dips into single digit territory.

That, and with iOS 7 looming around the corner, I'd hold off for new hardware. I wouldn't be surprised if iOS7 self-obsoleted iPad 2 class hardware. Besides, it's not like Hearthstone's going to come out in the next few weeks. It would be a bummer if you bought a mini now and have Hearthstone being a bit framey or having no animated booster packs or something.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Nekroskop

@sexytoad said:

@nekroskop said:

Why is that? IOS games can be fun? Bad Piggies, Terraria, Minecraft Pocket Edition, Infinity Blade, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds are just a few games that come in mind that are well worth the cash.

Paying 500 USD to play phone games...*Vomits*

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.