Apple Unveils Faster, Taller, Thinner iPhone 5

#101 Posted by Parsnip (1085 posts) -

Anything but white or black.

#102 Posted by Bummey (606 posts) -

Firemint, not Fire Monkey.

#103 Posted by Humanity (9056 posts) -

Well seeing as I have an iPhone 4 and it's starting to kinda chug this will be a great upgrade for me. Just like when I jumped from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 4 and the changes were very apparent.

The trick is to skip the S models despite temptation.

#104 Posted by Ronald (1364 posts) -

I have a 4 so I'm about ready for an upgrade. But I'll wait until November when I have some cash to throw around and that will give it enough time to see if there are any stupid problems, like the antenna not working properly before I buy it.

#105 Posted by Agikamike (55 posts) -

@Bummey: Nope. Firemint and Iron Monkey studios combined.

#106 Posted by AuthenticM (3716 posts) -

My Galaxy Nexus has better tech than this and it came out almost a year ago. Of course, people will still go apeshit over this product because Apple. sigh.

#107 Posted by Scrawnto (2440 posts) -

I am so ready for a new phone. I got a Droid 2 Global as my first smartphone just as all the dual core phones started coming out (literally the week the Atrix came out). A year and a half later, my phone is preposterously behind the times. I still don't know if my next phone will be Android, Windows Phone 8, or iPhone, but I am really looking forward to the expiration of my contract. I think I'm still leaning towards one of the slick new Nokia WinPhone 8 phones that are coming out in the not too distant future.

#108 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1430 posts) -

Well Windows practically just woke up from it's anti-trust sleepy time, so there is going to be a lot of pressure from everyone to be more innovative.

#109 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

Well, whatever.

#110 Posted by Thatoneguy64 (29 posts) -

@Davin said:

So where are the articles about Windows phones and Android phones, if we're going down this path? They play the same level of games as any iPhone, if you even want to qualify those as being games that this community would even care about for more than a day in the first place.

This is what I was thinking. Posting about mobile phones is fine, as they are a leading game platform nowadays, but it doesn't make sense unless all of the major OSs get posts. Android and Windows Phone get the same games (although Windows Phone gets far less), yet neither get much attention around here. Where was the article on the Nexus 7, or the Windows Phone 8?

If we're committing to posting about the latest iPhone, then with it should come coverage of its competitors. It's not like this is Giant Apple; it's a game site, and as such if one mobile platform is relevant then all of them are.

#111 Posted by 2HeadedNinja (1602 posts) -

@Davin said:

So where are the articles about Windows phones and Android phones, if we're going down this path? They play the same level of games as any iPhone, if you even want to qualify those as being games that this community would even care about for more than a day in the first place.

Jupp.

#112 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (452 posts) -

I don't get an upgrade for another year...but also don't feel like my 4 is outdated yet...depends on whats out there come upgrade time....and if sprint offers the LTE support for the Iphone on their network, I may or may not be picking this up.

#113 Posted by TooWalrus (13169 posts) -

I've been using an android phone for 18 months now. It's fine. I use an iPod touch on a daily basis though, and I think I prefer iOS to Andorid. It turns out, I use the weird stuff Android can do that Apple doesn't allow way less than I first expected. Hell, I bought an Experia Play, which emulates SNES/Genesis/Gameboy etc perfectly, and I barely ever do that. The iPhone screen is gorgous, and since I use it mostly for web browsing during class and stuff, I'll probably switch back to Apple.

That said, if a good Android phone comes to Verizon, with a nice big 720p screen, the latest version of Android and a bunch of storage built in (I fucking hate Micro SD, they ALWAYS fail on me), I might stick with Android.

#114 Edited by Peanut (953 posts) -

Things I've gathered about people who play games and buy Apple products over the last few hours.

$199-$399 on a new iPhone every year - Frothing demand

$500-$700 for a new iPad every year - Not exactly frothing demand, but close.

If the Wii U is over $199 or paying $249 for a 3DS or Vita once in 6 years - FUCKING FORGET IT! WAITING FOR A PRICE DROP! WHAT BULLSHIT!

#115 Posted by PenguinDust (12493 posts) -

So, no 7-inch Ipad tablet revealed? Is that what I can take from today's event?

#116 Posted by Murdoc_ (338 posts) -

@AuthenticM: Not a huge apple fan, but from an industrial design standpoints it's heads and tails over everything on the market. And that's honestly more important to some people (me) than function and tech.... odd I know.

#117 Posted by bloodsoul5 (192 posts) -

GET THIS OFFA HERRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA fuck apple.

#118 Posted by Olqavtoras (222 posts) -

Still using a 3GS, time to upgrade.

#119 Posted by Dick_Mohawk (378 posts) -

to expand on my Wii U post about stuff I'm not buying, an iphone is also something I'll be avoiding too. (nor an android or windows phone either)

#120 Posted by Tidel (360 posts) -

@Murdoc_ said:

@AuthenticM: Not a huge apple fan, but from an industrial design standpoints it's heads and tails over everything on the market. And that's honestly more important to some people (me) than function and tech.... odd I know.

I would argue that Apple's industrial design, function and tech are part-in-parcel -- all collude to create the User Experience. That's where they've won. People who know their shit always scoff at Apple, in large part because of how closed they make everything, and also because of the super-creepy cult-like following they've developed, which are two good reasons to look down one's nose. But it's not like Apple puts out sub-par stuff. It's good. And it's pretty. And the MS user experience is convoluted garbage. Most people just want something that does everything they want it to do, well, and with little fuss.

#121 Posted by Brodehouse (9877 posts) -

I'll say this; I thought some stupid arguments over video games have happened, but they can't compare to STUPID ARGUMENTS OVER PHONES.

Hey, what phone did you just receive that call on? Fuck you! You're fucking stupid, using that phone. That phone is for babies!

#122 Posted by chiablo (924 posts) -

Would someone explain to me the fervor at which people are hating the iPhone 5? Comparing it to the Galaxy S3 is ridiculous (it's literally comparing apples to oranges) and everything about the phone was known weeks in advance.

It's an incremental update, what did you expect?

#123 Posted by Pathos (199 posts) -

So, is Brad finally getting a new phone? :)

#124 Posted by SadisticWOlf (83 posts) -

Would honestly prefer a discussion on lawn mowers.

#125 Posted by Fallen189 (4988 posts) -

Will it have a battery life that lasts longer than 9am till half 2?

#126 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

And people bitch about a $60 COD or Madden game every year...

#127 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

@SadisticWOlf: I use one of the push non-gas/non-electric lawnmowers. It gets caught on twigs sometimes but otherwise it's pretty alright.

#128 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1902 posts) -

I say this every time a tech announcement is posted on the website but here we go again. I know you guys do this because it generates traffic on the site but I don't need to see a fucking regurgitation of a press release on giant bomb!

Shouldn't you be busy convincing people why they should pay the same subscription price to you even though they're now getting less content and less websites for their money hmm?

#129 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

So, no 7-inch Ipad tablet revealed? Is that what I can take from today's event?

The rumor is that it's a separate event.

#130 Posted by SadisticWOlf (83 posts) -
@CircleNine: I use a non-powered push lawnmower as well, although it's mostly for cleanup work because some gentlemen of a specific  regional ethnicity receive fiduciary compensation for my lawn care needs. I had considered buying another, more expensive lawnmower, that fills the exact same needs but with a few additional bells and whistles, but came to my senses when that other lawnmower required a two year contract.
#131 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -

I am waiting for my blackberry to die before picking up an iPhone... I am guessing it will last longer than RIM.

#132 Posted by Stubee (378 posts) -

I don't understand why this story is here. iPhones don't even represent the majority of the market anymore and they certainly don't have the best tech or software.

#133 Posted by Jinto (189 posts) -

Other than Brad and maybe Vinnie, Giantbomb crew are a bunch of iPhone, Android hating zealots.

#134 Posted by SharkMan (651 posts) -

who cares

#135 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Iphones are complete crap. More expensive then any other device that does the same thing. Screen is as fragile as a new born. Batterys pretty much always shit. Apple refuses to cover their own items for any kinds of damage besides the occasional cracked screen and even then they still will fight with you. Radio inside gives it piss poor range on its reception. Why is this crap on here? At least put something that hasn't been released multiple times and looks and works the same.

#136 Posted by CatsAkimbo (618 posts) -

I'm wondering if I can figure out a way to get the subsidized upgrade discount on Verizon while keeping my unlimited data contract.

#137 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (124 posts) -

@McShank said:

Iphones are complete crap. More expensive then any other device that does the same thing. Screen is as fragile as a new born. Batterys pretty much always shit. Apple refuses to cover their own items for any kinds of damage besides the occasional cracked screen and even then they still will fight with you. Radio inside gives it piss poor range on its reception. Why is this crap on here? At least put something that hasn't been released multiple times and looks and works the same.

I've never had any issues with mine. Seems you are just bitter. I swear the anti-apple people are noisier than the apple people.

#138 Posted by MstrMnyBgs (124 posts) -

@Stubee: Because it is probably the biggest news story of the day, maybe even month?

#139 Posted by kagato (911 posts) -

So..its another iphone? Good for Apple i guess, they have gotten to the point that they no longer need to improve or put anything new into their devices, they just make it a bit thinner and the world goes mad again for 2 or 3 months. Its not like the other phones out there are blowing me away either but at least some of them are trying new things like 3d displays and screens that dont turn off when you are still looking at them.

#140 Posted by Schmollian (260 posts) -

Getting this. Will be my first iPhone, so I'm excited!. (I have an iPad but no iPhone, wut)

#141 Posted by HKZ (70 posts) -

@Sooty: I'll agree except for camera speed. Having to wait two-three seconds for the iris to open can either be just fine, or excruciatingly long. I know two-three seconds seems like nothing in everyday life, but cutting that in half is a very noticeable change. Everything else is meh, but camera speed improvements are always welcome. That probably has more to do with software though.

#142 Posted by Stubee (378 posts) -

@MstrMnyBgs said:

@Stubee: Because it is probably the biggest news story of the day, maybe even month?

Your life but be very boring indeed if you consider that to be true.

#143 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I'm due for an upgrade from my 4, for the cost savings it makes most sense to go for a 4S.

#144 Posted by TheGorilla (230 posts) -

I kind of feel sorry for Apple. I don't know what they can do to make me really want a new phone. The iPhone 4 was too big a leap and the best tech product I've ever owned. After LTE I can't think of anything else I want. A 4 inch screen might be too big, I'm happy with 3.5. I'll get this but I'm really curious if there is anywhere else to go except faster chips.

#145 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1902 posts) -

@MstrMnyBgs said:

Are you insane? It's not even the most important technology story of late, did you forget WE LANDED A FUCKING ROVER ON MARS!

#146 Posted by Levio (1784 posts) -

@kagato said:

So..its another iphone? Good for Apple i guess, they have gotten to the point that they no longer need to improve or put anything new into their devices, they just make it a bit thinner and the world goes mad again for 2 or 3 months. Its not like the other phones out there are blowing me away either but at least some of them are trying new things like 3d displays and screens that dont turn off when you are still looking at them.

Um, it's twice as fast as the phone they released a year ago...

But whatever, pick the phone that has shiny 3d! That's totally new and awesome technology the world needs.

#147 Posted by JFiveJ5 (62 posts) -

Been waiting for this since I got my iPhone 4. Didn't see much of a reason to upgrade to 4S, but not really seeing much of a reason to upgrade to the 5 either.

#148 Posted by xyzygy (9949 posts) -

@Stubee said:

I don't understand why this story is here. iPhones don't even represent the majority of the market anymore and they certainly don't have the best tech or software.

I found it crazy that Apple only has 16-17% market share. It seems like so much more than that. I suppose it's just that my age group tends to have them and that it makes it seem to me that Apple has more of a market share.

Personally I'm sticking with Windows Phone 8 this time. I loved WP7 and the new style and features of WP8 devices are too attractive to ignore, especially the completely stunning Lumia 920. I've currently turned 3 people from iPhone/Android to Windows Phone and I might have convinced another last weekend at a party. All she needed was a few minutes with my HD7 and she fell in love. :P

#149 Posted by Sweetz (509 posts) -

@PresidentOfJellybeans said:

@derFeef said:

Videogames?

Right!? The best part is the single sentence mentioning EA in an attempt to make the story seem relevant on a gaming website.

Duder, how you can you be a premium member here and be whining about relevance to gaming? Have you ever listened to a Bombcast, like, ever? At what point did you come under the impression that Giant Bomb is the "serious business, everything is always on topic" gaming site?

#150 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

I'll stick with my S3

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.