Getting an iPhone 4S tomorrow, recommend me some games!

#1 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

So I have an iPhone 3GS, i got it at launch and boy is it showing, it runs incredibly slow and playing games is becoming difficult due to the long load times and slow frame rate. So tomorrow I am going up to a iPhone 4S, as I'm jumping the iPhone 4 and going to the 4S I should notice a big difference.

So recommend me some good games!

#2 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Tested > App of the Day is mostly games (which makes it a really boring feature I think)

#3 Edited by Venatio (4483 posts) -

I also upgraded from 3GS to 4S and I bought a ton of games, games that I'd recommend especially for 4S is Sword And Sworcery, Infinity Blade 2, Dead Space(surprisingly good and beautiful for an iOS game), Ghost Trick and Real Racing 2

Oh and that Tintin game is suprisingly good and cheap

#4 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

Ghost Trick, Sword and Sworcery, Jetpack Joyride and Triple Town.

#5 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Trism. That's all you need. Oh, and Jetpack Joyride.

#6 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Fairway Solitaire is surprisingly fun and addictive, and also free if you don't want to spend $0.99 to get rid of the ads.

#7 Posted by Melvargh (488 posts) -

Bean's Quest is a great little platformer for a buck.
Tiny Wings is essential, also a dollar.
If you're into fighters, Street Fighter IV Volt is fantastic, but a little pricier at 6.99
Rolando is a neat game that makes great use of touch and tilt.
Continuity 2 is another clever platformer, with some super cool ideas.
1-Bit Ninja, Game Dev Story, Mega Mall Story are some others to check out.

There are so many cool games on iOS.

#8 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

There are no good games on iOS.

Also, as someone who jumped from a 3GS to a 4S recently, you will see a huge improvement in speed. It's so nice!

#9 Posted by HatKing (5795 posts) -

Jetpack Joyride is a great, simple distraction.

Scribblenauts is also pretty fantastic, and it's far cheaper than the DS version. It's also one of the few ports that actually works better with iPhone touch screen.

#10 Posted by StarFoxA (5137 posts) -

Temple Run, Jetpack Joyride, and Scramble with Friends are the entirety of my iPhone gaming experience.

#11 Edited by rawrsair (819 posts) -

Ghost Trick. That is all.

Edit: I lie, Plants V Zombies.

#12 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7040 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

Also, as someone who jumped from a 3GS to a 4S recently, you will see a huge improvement in speed. It's so nice!

Ghost Trick begs to differ, my good sir!

#13 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Jetpack Joyride, Ghost Trick, Sonic Racing and Scribblenauts Remix!

#14 Posted by brokenbrute (5 posts) -
#15 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Tiny Wings.
/thread.

#16 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

I don't know that is technically a game, but VidRhythm is a great thing to pull out a party and have everyone record parts of it.

@Enigma777 said:

False...traditional games that require tactical input are terrible on iOS, but there are plenty of games that innovate around this and provide interesting experiences.

#17 Posted by Tesla (1904 posts) -

Contre Jour

Sword and Sorcery EP

Cut the Rope

Broken Sword: Director's Cut

Chrono Trigger

Ghost Trick

Scribblenauts

#18 Posted by Sergio (2038 posts) -

Depends. Do you want diversions while sitting on the can or waiting in line at the grocery store? Or do you want more traditional games?

There's plenty of the former in Tested's App of the Day. For the latter, pretty much anything that is a port from other systems, e.g. Ghost Trick.

#19 Posted by Eristocrat (439 posts) -

Dungeon Raid

#20 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

Beat Sneak Bandit is terrific and should not be missed. To echo what others are saying though, Ghost Trick, Sword and Sworcery, Scribblenauts and Jet Pack Joyride are all must-haves. Infinity Blade 2, also terrific.

#21 Posted by Kidavenger (3488 posts) -

Hero Academy made by the guys that did Orcs Must Die, I'm hoping they will bring it to Android.

#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7040 posts) -

I'm actually getting a 4S today, and I'm stoked this thread was made. But now I need a case.

#23 Posted by Lyniz (115 posts) -

Wheres My Water! best IOS game out right now

#24 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Jetpack Joyride is a must

So is Superbrothers S&S EP.

Ghost Trick.

World of Goo.

Osmos.

Kingdom Rush.

Windosill if you're rich.

#25 Posted by Joker369 (868 posts) -
@MariachiMacabre I recommend the Otterbox cases. I personally use the commuter case but the defender is also good if you need a belt clip.
#26 Posted by Nadafinga (957 posts) -

Continuity 2 is probably one of the best games I've played on my iPhone.

#27 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

I don't know that is technically a game, but VidRhythm is a great thing to pull out a party and have everyone record parts of it.

@Enigma777 said:

False...traditional games that require tactical input are terrible on iOS, but there are plenty of games that innovate around this and provide interesting experiences.

Interesting =/= good.

@MariachiMacabre: I played it on my iPad and I'm not impressed. At all.

#28 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@Hizang: Whatever games you get you should also get an iControlPad to go too.
#29 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

@Enigma777: Fine. There are plenty of iPhone games that are not only interesting, but also good :-) Do I need to diagram my sentences for you? ;-)

#30 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@Enigma777: Fine. There are plenty of iPhone games that are not only interesting, but also good :-) Do I need to diagram my sentences for you? ;-)

No, because that is just plain false. iOS games are junk. Even "good" ones are junk because the controls suck so much. this applies to all touch screen games, even ones that only require one touch like Jetpack Joyride, since you're still blocking a part of the screen with your hand(s).

#31 Posted by wewantsthering (1547 posts) -

@Enigma777 said:

@wewantsthering said:

No, because that is just plain false. iOS games are junk. Even "good" ones are junk because the controls suck so much. this applies to all touch screen games, even ones that only require one touch like Jetpack Joyride, since you're still blocking a part of the screen with your hand(s).

It sounds like you assume that good means a console level game ported to a handheld like most PSP games. Game tailored for a mobile/touch experience can be great, and in some cases (I admit rarely) are great. It's not the sort of game that I will send 20+ hours on like a console game, but it's the sort of thing I play while waiting in a doctor's office. I had a lot of fun with Game Dev Story. Games that require more thinking/reading/strategy are obviously better because precise button presses are not required. I think the mistake people make is when they make a God of War rip-off and expect players to use two fake analogue sticks.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/game-dev-story/id396085661?mt=8

#32 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Doodle Jump is good fun. Also Cannabalt

#33 Posted by Trav (241 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@Enigma777 said:

@wewantsthering said:

It sounds like you assume that good means a console level game ported to a handheld like most PSP games. Game tailored for a mobile/touch experience can be great, and in some cases (I admit rarely) are great. It's not the sort of game that I will send 20+ hours on like a console game, but it's the sort of thing I play while waiting in a doctor's office. I had a lot of fun with Game Dev Story. Games that require more thinking/reading/strategy are obviously better because precise button presses are not required. I think the mistake people make is when they make a God of War rip-off and expect players to use two fake analogue sticks.

This was a well-thought out and metered response to a post I would have totally expected to elicit none of those qualities. Nice job, duder.

#34 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

@wewantsthering said:

@Enigma777 said:

@wewantsthering said:

I don't expect console or even dedicated handheld-quality games. I expect good games. With that said I have yet to play a single one that I can call good on my iphone or ipad. And trust me I've tried a lot of them: PvZ, Infinity Blade, Ghost Trick, Scribblenauts, Sword and Sworcery, Osmos, Tiny Tower (I struggle to even call that one a game), Tiny Wings, Dead Space, Battle Nations, the list goes on and on. Yes, even Game Dev Story.

It does not help that almost all of them have microtransactions up the ass...

#35 Posted by StrainedEyes (1320 posts) -

Cut the Rope

Scribblenauts

Fruit Ninja

Tiny Wings

Peggle

Draw Something Free

Angry Birds

Super Stickman Golf

#36 Posted by Tesla (1904 posts) -

Oh god I can't believe I forgot Game Dev Story! Definitely give that a try.

#37 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Just got it and wow is it cool! Its like the 3GS but just so much faster, so much cleaner, so much smoother, so much better!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.