Hey, Have a Few Bucks? You Should Play These iOS Games

• 86 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

As much as some companies deride the race-to-the-bottom business model prevalent on Apple's iOS, it also means the barrier to entry is basically non-existant. With that in mind, I'm pointing you towards two just-launched games on App Store: Continuity 2 ($0.99) and 1-Bit Ninja ($1.99).

The trailers for both do a better job of explaining both than I could. Take a look:

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

As much as some companies deride the race-to-the-bottom business model prevalent on Apple's iOS, it also means the barrier to entry is basically non-existant. With that in mind, I'm pointing you towards two just-launched games on App Store: Continuity 2 ($0.99) and 1-Bit Ninja ($1.99).

The trailers for both do a better job of explaining both than I could. Take a look:

Staff
#2 Posted by hermes (1350 posts) -

you are covering ipad games too, now?

#3 Posted by chezneyb (14 posts) -

Always nice to get some suggestions of games to get for iOS

#4 Posted by Simulacrum (462 posts) -

Aha!

#5 Posted by rmanthorp (3855 posts) -

Nope.avi

#6 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

@hermes said:

you are covering ipad games too, now?

Maybe, possibly, not excessively. Just testing the waters, especially since stuff is slow right now, and I've been putting together a bunch of features for next week.

Staff
#7 Posted by RobertOrri (1118 posts) -

I don't think you can get an iOS capable device for a few dollars, sadly.

#8 Posted by RampageAssassin (416 posts) -

You should check out a game called Hard Lines. It's a mix of Snake and Light Cycles.

#9 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

Huh...

#10 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -
#11 Posted by sensory (47 posts) -

If you had a few bucks left you wouldn't have a device running iOS. They like to suck you dry until you've given your last penny.

#12 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

Tested already does some ios picks. Didn't think Giantbomb was covering them. Was kind of happy it didn't.

#13 Posted by RedFive (139 posts) -

1-Bit Ninja is actually $1.99, but still totally worth buying.

#14 Posted by isles (232 posts) -

Thanks Pat!

#15 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Tiny Wings, Cut The Rope and Shibuya

#16 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -

@Protonguy said:

Tested already does some ios picks. Didn't think Giantbomb was covering them. Was kind of happy it didn't.

I'm not going to pretend iOS isn't a totally legitimate, successful gaming platform. To ignore it is to ignore a huge influence on the future of games as a whole.

Staff
#17 Posted by jediknight00719 (138 posts) -

Continuity is an amazing game. The first one is free and won quite a bit of awards. You can play it here:

http://continuitygame.com/playcontinuity.html

All i could think of when i played the game is how much i wanted it on the iphone, looks like they did just that.

#18 Posted by PXAbstraction (313 posts) -
@Protonguy said:

This. I acknowledge that iOS is a legit gaming platform but Tested already covers that stuff to great extent. They rarely talk about anything that isn't mobile or tablets anymore. Does Whiskey need two sites doing iOS now? Your site, your decision of course, that's just my two cents and that's all they're worth.
#19 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -
@PXAbstraction: Well, I don't visit tested.com at all and it's a video game that I otherwise probably wouldn't have seen if it weren't mentioned on this specific WM site. 
#20 Posted by Lashe (1243 posts) -

Cheers Patrick. I appreciate some iOS input on the site for a change - iOS devices have proven themselves as legitimate platforms to game on, moreso than even the 3DS I would argue. I admit I was skeptical in the early iOS days but i have come round.

I totally disagree with the supposed high price barrier to entry with iOS though - you can get an iPod touch from $229, the 3DS is $250. Once you bring the iPhone into the equation it becomes an unfair comparison due to how multifunctional the iPhone is compared to a gaming handheld, and the iPad is still well priced among it's tablet competitors. Apple take an unjustifiable amount of flak when it comes to pricing.

#21 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Thanks, Pat, I'll be buying both of these games and hopefully reviewing one (or both!) by the time I get back from London.

#22 Edited by halfcirclepunch (10 posts) -

I still wonder, if Apple made it basicly impossible for traditional handheld gaming to be successfull like everybody else seems to say. Well lets see how the Vita launch will look like.

#23 Posted by VicRattlehead (1398 posts) -

video games on a video game website WTF HAS HAPPENED TO GIANTBOMB

seriously this community is god awful with the complaints sometimes

#24 Posted by Bobafeet (60 posts) -

Awesome! I just got an ipad so I'm looking for new games to play.

#25 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Nope. Bought a smart phone last year, and there's no way in hell I was going with AT&T. So I'm stuck with the practically game-less Droid 2 for another 18 months.

#26 Posted by CaptainComedy (41 posts) -
@patrickklepek: You're my hero for shutting that dude down :)
#27 Edited by Plompk (17 posts) -

Bought 1-Bit Ninja and it's pretty awesome so far.

Thanks for the recommendations :D

#28 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

Nope. Bought a smart phone last year, and there's no way in hell I was going with AT&T. So I'm stuck with the practically game-less Droid 2 for another 18 months.

Gameless? Having had an iPhone far longer than my Android I find it baffling you can say that.

Get the Amazon app store and use the Market better, if you're failing to find good games then it's user error, not a Droid 2 or Android issue. If for some reason your Droid 2 doesn't have access to the Market then I apologise but you should be able to install it.
#29 Posted by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

@Ygg said:

@MrKlorox said:

Gameless? Having had an iPhone far longer than my Android I find it baffling you can say that. Get the Amazon app store and use the Market better, if you're failing to find good games then it's user error, not a Droid 2 or Android issue. If for some reason your Droid 2 doesn't have access to the Market then I apologise but you should be able to install it.

Unless things have changed in the past few months since I looked, the games on there all look like DSi-ware quality time wasters and unlicensed clones of other games. The few that don't seem to be like that require more powerful hardware than my Droid 2 has. It's certainly not user error if all the games I come across look like they're garbage.

#30 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

@Protonguy said:

I'm not going to pretend iOS isn't a totally legitimate, successful gaming platform. To ignore it is to ignore a huge influence on the future of games as a whole.

Fair enough mate. So facebook games are on the way too then?

#31 Posted by Mojokilla (36 posts) -

Are the videos not loading for anyone else?

#32 Posted by Dork_Metamorphosis (251 posts) -

1-bit Ninja is fun but it is rough. What I wouldn't give for a "run the other direction" button.

#33 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

I like what I see, especially the way you could control the camera in one of the games.

Hurray for cheap games!

#34 Posted by MisterMouse (3539 posts) -

I played continuity as a flash game before hand and it was actually a lot of fun, playing it on an iDevice could be even cooler.

#35 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Got Continuity 2, it's pretty darn clever.

Maybe I'll get 1-Bit Ninja, getting some serious Super Mario Land vibes off those graphics

#36 Posted by Protonguy (305 posts) -

@PXAbstraction said:

@Protonguy said:

This. I acknowledge that iOS is a legit gaming platform but Tested already covers that stuff to great extent. They rarely talk about anything that isn't mobile or tablets anymore. Does Whiskey need two sites doing iOS now? Your site, your decision of course, that's just my two cents and that's all they're worth.

Definitely covers a lot of what my post was actually trying to get across. Tested is doing this already, they're just going to end up duplicating content.

#37 Posted by StarvingGamer (7919 posts) -

@patrickklepek: Thanks for doing this, always good to have someone slog through all the iOS junk so I don't have to. Go Patrick!

#38 Posted by brainwins (251 posts) -

@abdo said:

Everyone should check out Flight Control.

I loved it on the PC, but it was pretty frustrating on the iPhone. Fingers blocking the screen with too many planes on screen is not fun.

#39 Posted by ajamafalous (11823 posts) -

I'm gonna disagree with a few dudes here and say that I'd like to see more iOS game recommendations. Only games though, I feel like Tested easily covers 'utility' apps.

#40 Posted by Binarynova (150 posts) -

The 3D aspect of 1-Bit Ninja really isn't appealing to me. Instead it's just making me want Fez more. That and I'm hopefully going to be switching from my iPhone 4 to an Xperia Play soon, so I'm trying to avoid buying apps.

#41 Posted by Hector (3352 posts) -

Hmmm... 1 Bit Ninja seems kinda cool.

#42 Posted by SamFo (1513 posts) -

i appreciate ios coverage on giantbomb. I understand that they have it on tested. But there is a big crossover. See comic book movies on Screened and Comic Vine.

#43 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

Oh my good god 1-Bit Ninja is TOTALLY giving me a nostalgic boner for Super Mario Land!

#44 Posted by Piffman2 (6 posts) -

I understand iOS coverage on Giant Bomb. Doesn't mean I like it. It's a shame, if the things just had some proper button controls that combined with that legitimately innovative distribution system could be all the handheld gaming I need. but that all-touch input just limits what games can function on it so much. But buttons are for game machines, not things that are primarily elegant gadgets

how's that xperia play thing?

#45 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

I refuse to buy games for platforms that don't have actual controls for games.

I hate playing games with touch only. They are worth no amount of time or money to me.

#46 Posted by LegionVsNinja (53 posts) -
@patrickklepek said:

@Protonguy said:

A deck of cards is a totally legitimate, successful gaming platform, but you guys aren't covering the latest and greatest variations in Bridge, Cribbage or Pinochle. I know things are slow in the summer, but there have got to be better things to cover than games with a 30 minute life-span.
#47 Posted by DrWorm (33 posts) -

In other words you don't want them covering games like Child of Eden...

#48 Posted by rselig1974 (1 posts) -

Why would you complain about GiantBomb covering IOS games? Just because Tested.com has an app of the week video that sometimes includes games doesn't mean GiantBomb should ignore it.

Patrick, keep them coming. Some of you members will appreciate it.

#49 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@tlj101010: You must have had a huge grin when you thought of this post. Just thinking to yourself "oh my god I can't wait for everyone to see how clever I was!"

There is nothing wrong with Giantbomb covering GAMES, regardless of whether or not another sister site does. I don't watch Tested so this is nice for me and I am sure a lot of other members.

#50 Posted by zameer (605 posts) -

Thanks Pat, been looking for some good iOS games

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.