iCade Extends Physical Buttons to iPhone, iPod Touch

• 79 results
Posted by patrickklepek (4533 posts) -
The iCade Mobile doesn't look as monstrously terrible as one might have exepcted.

The moment an iOS game shows off some virtual buttons, I’m preparing to delete it. That’s not to say there aren’t some games that pull off virtual buttons a-okay, but it just seems to miss the point.

One popular solution has been to accessorize Apple’s devices with physical buttons, but the problem there lies in developer support. Joke-turned-actual thing iCade has found success in recruiting support on iPad, and creator ION Audio is hoping to extend that onto the rest of Apple’s devices with iCade Mobile.

The add-on was announced at the Consumer Electronics Show, which kicked off today, and includes a four-way d-pad, four front buttons and four shoulder buttons. It’s a pretty complete package, and it’ll be available later this year for $79.99.

The first screens for iCade Mobile show off Velocispider and Super Mega Worm, suggesting it’s already booked up both of those games. If ION Audio can get more developers on board, this thing may have some life.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4533 posts) -
The iCade Mobile doesn't look as monstrously terrible as one might have exepcted.

The moment an iOS game shows off some virtual buttons, I’m preparing to delete it. That’s not to say there aren’t some games that pull off virtual buttons a-okay, but it just seems to miss the point.

One popular solution has been to accessorize Apple’s devices with physical buttons, but the problem there lies in developer support. Joke-turned-actual thing iCade has found success in recruiting support on iPad, and creator ION Audio is hoping to extend that onto the rest of Apple’s devices with iCade Mobile.

The add-on was announced at the Consumer Electronics Show, which kicked off today, and includes a four-way d-pad, four front buttons and four shoulder buttons. It’s a pretty complete package, and it’ll be available later this year for $79.99.

The first screens for iCade Mobile show off Velocispider and Super Mega Worm, suggesting it’s already booked up both of those games. If ION Audio can get more developers on board, this thing may have some life.

Staff
#2 Edited by Oddoboy (13 posts) -

woot

#3 Posted by ajamafalous (11990 posts) -

Vertical screen looks pretty terrible.

#4 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

Man, are Nintendo and Sony boned.

#5 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I've been wondering why there isn't something like this out already...

#6 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

With Steve Jobs gone what if Apple starts officially licensing a game controller add-on?

Kind of fitting that you post that ridiculous 3G pricing model for the Vita just a little bit before this, can that thing look any more dead on arrival?

#7 Posted by Moncole (636 posts) -

No one will buy that for 80$

#8 Posted by Pepto (28 posts) -

The Lynx is back!

#9 Posted by Sin4profit (2931 posts) -

Pfff...Ben Heck's already got this covered.

#10 Posted by Metal_Mills (2996 posts) -

Doesn't look terrible? Who the hell wants to lug that around? The whole reason that smartphone gaming is becoming so big is because it's quick and easy, you stick some chunky arse accessory and you might as well go buy a 3DS or Vita,

#11 Posted by ddensel (382 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Vertical screen looks pretty terrible.

I'd say that's pretty high praise. Looks like something the Atari Lynx division would've coughed up

#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4973 posts) -

@Lokno said:

Meh, I don't know about that. But I find completely retarded the fact that the next natural step in the demise of handheld gaming is to make its killer look like a handheld console.

#13 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

This evokes the design of the Game Boy Micro. Neat, I guess?

#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

I think it looks like shit.

#15 Posted by Bistromath (613 posts) -

Doesn't look very portable...

#16 Posted by Chris2KLee (2335 posts) -

Seems to have the same problem most iPhone controllers have, in that it removes the major form factor benefit of the device. $80 and you'd probably have to have a bag to carry it around when not in use. No thanks.

#17 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

So this doesn't work with current games on the iOS Store?

#18 Posted by darkjester74 (1576 posts) -

Gross.

#19 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

@Moncole said:

No one will buy that for 80$

#20 Posted by Truckalicious (99 posts) -

ION, eh? That's the manufacturer of my old drumkit. Huh

#21 Edited by Sanj (2387 posts) -

That's pretty neat. I'd buy one for no more than a quarter of that price.

#22 Posted by solidlife (877 posts) -

not for that price lol

#23 Posted by Oni (2098 posts) -

What a dumb thing. That's like half the price of a 3DS. Who would buy this?

#24 Posted by PXAbstraction (340 posts) -

It doesn't look as bad as I imagined. It looks way worse.

#25 Posted by The_BrownGhost (47 posts) -

If you're going to the effort of getting this I just don't understand why you wouldn't get a dedicated handheld.

#26 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Welcome to the evolution of gaming. Docking stations with control pads are next. I can already plug my GP2X WiZ into my buddy's laptop and throw it up on the projector, so why not the iPhone?

#27 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7616 posts) -

@Rappelsiini said:

I've been wondering why there isn't something like this out already...

There is

The problem is the lack of developer support. Games have to be designed to use it, and that just isn't going to happen as much as it needs to.

#28 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I think I'm okay with touch screen controls for the time being. Most devices have pretty responsive touch screens, and most games make decent use of it.

#29 Edited by Branthog (5562 posts) -

That's idiotic. Sticking on controller attachments is just as problematic as trying to replicate "touch conrollers" (ie, using the touchscreen to replicate a joystick). Instead of trying to jam all this crap onto an iPhone, why not just focus on making games that take advantage of what the iPhone does have?

Also, this is exactly the kind of pointless shit (much of which will NEVER see the light of day) I expect to see from CES. What a fucking hell that must be to attend. It's like booth after booth of shitty Walgreen's "seen on TV" stocking stuffers.

#30 Posted by DarthOrange (3860 posts) -
#31 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (281 posts) -

@Doctorchimp: ...It's on par with smartphone and tablet 3G pricing models. It is literally the same pricing for an iPad 3G subscription. I don't understand how that's ridiculous in particular when it's just following procedure.

#32 Posted by ServbotSteve (15 posts) -

I'm definitely not against the idea of solid buttons for these games, but for $80 it better come with some real bells and whistles.

#33 Posted by Zaxex (586 posts) -

Buttons! Get you some!

#34 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@PXAbstraction said:

It doesn't look as bad as I imagined. It looks way worse.

#35 Posted by DJ_Lae (629 posts) -

Would be more interesting if it also had a circle pad/analog nub type thing on there and cost no more than $30. $80 is insulting.

#36 Posted by Doctorchimp (4076 posts) -

@Alex_Carrillo said:

@Doctorchimp: ...It's on par with smartphone and tablet 3G pricing models. It is literally the same pricing for an iPad 3G subscription. I don't understand how that's ridiculous in particular when it's just following procedure.

It's kind of ridiculous it's only on AT&T and who's going to pay another 30 dollars for 2 gigabytes of data after being gouged for their smartphone.

And that 3G isn't even going to be enough to play online, they should have scrapped the 3G entirely.

"Following Procedure" shouldn't be the plan of action.

#37 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

Ion makes quality stuff, and for $80, I could see this being something that makes an overpriced paperweight like the Vita look like junk.

#38 Posted by ThePilgrums (427 posts) -

@Lokno said:

If this were 2009, I'd be 100% sure this comment is sarcastic. In 2012... not so sure. People, especially investors and analysts, say a lot of dumbass shit about the viability of iOS games these days...

#39 Posted by fazzle (305 posts) -

$80?! Holy crap, that's insane for a few buttons. I could see maybe $30, but that's it.

#40 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

My issue with this isn't even with the actual peripheral. From what little I know of iOS development, there is no virtual button API that *every* developer uses, and that "every" is key. Like the Xperia Play, the developers would have to go back to their game and put in the code that allows it to be manipulated by hardware button presses.

#41 Posted by ssj4raditz (1125 posts) -

That looks horrible!

#42 Posted by mbkish (246 posts) -

I would pay $50 but wtf $80?!

#43 Posted by theguy (796 posts) -

I was interested untill I saw $80

#44 Posted by ZRLeigh (49 posts) -

I quite like it. Not enough to buy one though.

#45 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

80 bucks? lol I was debating getting it for 20

#46 Edited by Peanut (954 posts) -

$80 to my $200+ (depending) device in order to play 99 cent games that are probably shit anyways. I'm cool.

#47 Posted by steelknight2000 (446 posts) -

Is...is that an Atari Lynx?

#48 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@solidlife said:

not for that price lol

#49 Posted by ladambell (6 posts) -

If this takes off and there's eventually a model with dual analog sticks, the iPhone is going to bust some heads.

Well, you know. More heads than it's busted previously.

#50 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Dude, that looks like a slightly shinier version of something batman would have on his belt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.