Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPhone

Platform »

The iPhone is a multimedia multi-touch smartphone created by Apple Inc.

Jailbreaking an iPod Touch

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

The more time I spend with an iPhone, the more I love them. The App Store is the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I really can't afford a long-term contract. So, I get an iPod touch.

The question here is this- Should I jailbreak it? Is it illegal? What are the benefits? What are the downsides? How exactly would I do it?

Thanks gents.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Ineedaname

I've not done it but do have an Iphone, the downsides are apprently it can crash occasionally sometimes to the point that full restore is the only way out, and apprently at times it can randomly run slow. The benefits are there are sites where you can get all of the apps on itunes for free, I can link one of them but I'll have to dig it out.

I actually don't think it is illegal, the illegal part comes in installing the apps. Don't quote me on that though, it'll porbably void your warranty, but I remember seeing an interview saying that Apple aren't entirely bothered if people want to unlock their phones. But that was a while ago and I be a little hazy on that, if you google yellow sn0w or red sn0w you'll probably stumble on tutorials, I'm not sure which will benenfit you as I never did do it, but I did enquire, if you want me to I can find the post where I did enquire and post the best response here, if I remember rightly it was pretty awesome.

And I'm pretty confident in saying if you did full restore, you'll have to do a full jailbreak again, or you can just reinstall the old itunes software.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Babble

I don't really see the point in jailbreaking it at this point. You can use the app store on the iPod Touch.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Babble said:
    "I don't really see the point in jailbreaking it at this point. You can use the app store on the iPod Touch. "
    can't see the reason? lol how about tons of free shit!?
    Noremakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Noremakk

It's not illegal, neither is installing free apps on it. However, installing PIRATED apps on it IS illegal.

Also, as you would expect, it voids the warranty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.