My Top Five iPhone Games

Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -

I catch myself more and more scoping out the app store seeing whats all for sale finding the new hotness of the week. It’s becoming quite a problem actually and my bank statements are always filled with $.99 and $1.99 transactions. I have around five games I never see myself deleting from my phone because I keep coming back to them; my bathroom buddies so to speak. If you haven’t played one of these and are looking for something new to play I suggest you look into my list. I will say though I have no desire to play long games or games that require large chunks of time to get through, strictly bathroom buddy games.

5) Words With Friends

Scrabble. This is all it is but the fact that it’s multiplayer over my network makes it one I continuously play. I make a move then close the app and go about my day. Hours later I’ll check and see if anybody else has made a move. It’s the perfect multiplayer game for people on the go because you are allowed twenty games going at once.

4) Plants Vs. zombies

Originally played this game on the PC and loved every moment of it. The port to the iPhone is amazing with all the fast paced reactions working perfectly on the touch screen. It’s easily my favorite tower defense game I’ve played and it’s made by the fine folks of PopCap. I bought this game for ten bucks on steam and getting it on the iPhone for only $2.99 is perfect.

3) Geodefense

I’ll go ahead and say I’ve never completed either Geo Defense or Geo Swarm because they are hard as hell. Visuals remind me of Geometry Wars, Geo Defense is a tower defense game that will take patience to complete due to the difficulty. Some of the later stages really do require some major juggling of where to allocate your resources to buy. If you want a great looking game with a challenge, pick up either of these. I prefer Geo Defense though.

2) Trees of Doom

This was an odd game for me to get into because it’s all about improving your score. But I want 2,000 so bad and I can never achieve it. Your a little ninja that jumps back and forth between two trees but obstacles block your path like purple substances, monsters, and erupting volcanoes. I was never a big fan of games that are about improving scores like Doodle Jump but I still continue to try and get 2,000 when I get a couple minutes to kill.

1) Angry Birds

My favorite game I’ve played on the iPhone to date. Angry Birds is about pissed off birds that out for revenge to rescue their eggs from the pigs who robbed them. You “launch” birds into structures that pigs hide behind or underneath that will knock it down and hopefully destroy all the pigs; sorta like Boom Blocks on Wii. The developers have done an amazing job supporting this game; constantly adding levels and already planning to add more. The best thing is the cost is only $.99 so it’s a hard game to pass up with as much content you get with it. Theirs a reason it has sat comfortably at the #1 spot for a long time.

What games would you recommend me and others to check out?

#1 Edited by mau64 (539 posts) -

I catch myself more and more scoping out the app store seeing whats all for sale finding the new hotness of the week. It’s becoming quite a problem actually and my bank statements are always filled with $.99 and $1.99 transactions. I have around five games I never see myself deleting from my phone because I keep coming back to them; my bathroom buddies so to speak. If you haven’t played one of these and are looking for something new to play I suggest you look into my list. I will say though I have no desire to play long games or games that require large chunks of time to get through, strictly bathroom buddy games.

5) Words With Friends

Scrabble. This is all it is but the fact that it’s multiplayer over my network makes it one I continuously play. I make a move then close the app and go about my day. Hours later I’ll check and see if anybody else has made a move. It’s the perfect multiplayer game for people on the go because you are allowed twenty games going at once.

4) Plants Vs. zombies

Originally played this game on the PC and loved every moment of it. The port to the iPhone is amazing with all the fast paced reactions working perfectly on the touch screen. It’s easily my favorite tower defense game I’ve played and it’s made by the fine folks of PopCap. I bought this game for ten bucks on steam and getting it on the iPhone for only $2.99 is perfect.

3) Geodefense

I’ll go ahead and say I’ve never completed either Geo Defense or Geo Swarm because they are hard as hell. Visuals remind me of Geometry Wars, Geo Defense is a tower defense game that will take patience to complete due to the difficulty. Some of the later stages really do require some major juggling of where to allocate your resources to buy. If you want a great looking game with a challenge, pick up either of these. I prefer Geo Defense though.

2) Trees of Doom

This was an odd game for me to get into because it’s all about improving your score. But I want 2,000 so bad and I can never achieve it. Your a little ninja that jumps back and forth between two trees but obstacles block your path like purple substances, monsters, and erupting volcanoes. I was never a big fan of games that are about improving scores like Doodle Jump but I still continue to try and get 2,000 when I get a couple minutes to kill.

1) Angry Birds

My favorite game I’ve played on the iPhone to date. Angry Birds is about pissed off birds that out for revenge to rescue their eggs from the pigs who robbed them. You “launch” birds into structures that pigs hide behind or underneath that will knock it down and hopefully destroy all the pigs; sorta like Boom Blocks on Wii. The developers have done an amazing job supporting this game; constantly adding levels and already planning to add more. The best thing is the cost is only $.99 so it’s a hard game to pass up with as much content you get with it. Theirs a reason it has sat comfortably at the #1 spot for a long time.

What games would you recommend me and others to check out?

#2 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (1179 posts) -

Geo Defense sounds kinda awesome and I might get for my iPod. My favorite and only game currently on my iPod is KenKen by Capcom.

#3 Edited by MB (11903 posts) -

Words with Friends is practically the only iPhone game I play (besides Solitaire, occasionally). I always have Words games going with my Dad and my sister who both live far away, not to mention a game going with virtually everyone I know that has an iPhone. I even have games going with Giant Bomb people.

#4 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

is geodefence free? it sounds and looks sweet!

#5 Posted by Guerrilla_Mason (470 posts) -

I tried out the lite version of Angry Birds, and couldn't get into it. I love the crap out of PvZ though. My favorite iPhone game that makes me want to break my phone as well is Tilt to Live.

#6 Posted by masterpaperlink (1829 posts) -

TILT TO LIVE

#7 Posted by XxBarretxX (307 posts) -

This is a good list. 

I'd recommend Carcassonne and Doodle(er) Jump. I'd liek to reccomend Jetball but they don't add new levels :( still a fun game.

Angry Birds didn't click with me but I'll try it again.

#8 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

dude, you don't have doodle jump on your list, therefore it cannot be trusted.

#9 Posted by MrAriscottle (258 posts) -

Angry Birds is so very awesome. Perfect for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

#10 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Pocket God 
Doodle Jump 
Ragdoll Blast 1 and 2 

What do they have in common? They're not on this list!

#11 Posted by ComradeKritstov (693 posts) -

If you are into endless randomly generated single level games (like Canabalt) then I would highly recommend Action Buggy. Oh yea and Super QuickHook is awesome as well.

#12 Posted by TurboMan (7344 posts) -

Fruit Ninja kills a lot of time for me.

#13 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I love Angry Birds prior to getting that my favorite game was Doodle Jump and I also played a lot of Bejewelled. I have been thinking about pulling the trigger on Plants vs Zombies for a while now.

#14 Posted by JWawin (70 posts) -

Angry Birds is a really fun game!

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13131 posts) -

You obviously haven't played DoodleJump.

#16 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -
@zAMERICANLIONz: I was a pretty big fan of Geodefense although Swarm i wasn't too fond of. 

@MB: Yeah words with friends is fun as hell but I got burnet out once I played like 10 games at once. I need to tone it down to like 5. 

@Guerrilla_Mason: I don't think the game costs over $2 so definitely worth it.
#17 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -
@Guerrilla_Mason: Tilt to live is another good one but I suck hardcore at it. I really got into Angry Birds and get pretty excited once it gets updated with new levels  :) 

@XxBarretxX: Thanks for the kind words. Yeah I'm still trying to talk people to buy Carcosonne, the price tag is a bit much for some people. If I buy it ill send ya an invite if you got room.

@ArchScabby: Yeah I figured Doodle Jump would be brought up. I really enjoyed the game as well and it would probably fit in #6 or #7 if I did a top 10 list. It's really good.
#18 Posted by masterherocard (419 posts) -

Fun fact: I don't think it was mentioned, and it has nothing to do with the topic, but angry birds is coming to the ds, psp and ps3. 

Anyway, on topic, I don't really have much of a favorite when it comes to app games, but puzzle quest is a decent time-wasterr
#19 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -
@masterherocard: This is awesome news, probably as a PSP mini I'm guessing. Still good news though. I bought the first 2 chapters of puzzle quest when they were free and still haven't had a chance to play them yet. I still want to though.
#20 Posted by Finch (96 posts) -

Hahah really like your blog man- I'll be keeping up to date with it. You write really well. 

Finch.

#21 Posted by mau64 (539 posts) -
@Finch: Thank you so much for the kind words, and thanks for checking my writing out. You are a great ego booster :)
#22 Posted by Finch (96 posts) -
@mau64: No problem mate- if you're feeling nice you can check out the closest thing I have to a blog, which is my photoblog- it's in early days yet, and I'm not sure this link will last but here it is- http://www.hollowhouse.wordpress.com

Finch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.