Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iPhone

Platform »

The iPhone is a multimedia multi-touch smartphone created by Apple Inc.

Thinking of Getting a New Phone

Avatar image for kevinthedeviant
    KevinTheDeviant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KevinTheDeviant

I've got an old hand-me-down flip phone with semi-decent storage. It's fairly reliable, but aside from an okay-ish camera, it's really just a phone. That was really all I needed until recently. I find that, lately, I'm carrying around way too many electronic devices. I take quick photos with my phone, send them to friends, then if I decide I want to save them, I have to move them to my PC, and finally to another portable device with better storage. That second portable device has alright WiFi and the sound for MP3s isn't all that bad, but switching between the two is a pain.

Anyway, I'd like to have a phone with a decent enough camera, MP3 player, at least 8GB of storage, and WiFi. I've heard a lot of mixed reactions about the different iPhone models on the market, so I was wondering which phones you guys would recommend. Only internet support I'll be needing is through WiFi, I don't care about apps, or even games, really, and I'd like to be able to add MP3s from my PC. Not sure if Apple requires all your music be bought through iTunes, or what their policy is. I've also heard there's issues with MMS? That's a bit of a must for me. I've already got AT&T, and won't be able to change providers for a while, anyway, so I'm used to iffy service, at times. As long as the phone has these main functions and features, and is mostly reliable, I'll be happy with it. So, any ideas?

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By bed

if i were you, i'd get a Blackberry, as it seems to have everything that you desire.  

well, almost everything. it has wi-fi, an MP3 player and the bold has a pretty nice camera, but you'll want to buy a mini-SD card (which aren't too expensive i'd imagine) for your memory. the device memory carries less than a gig. except that, it seems to have everything you want. it doesn't have any good apps as far as i know, but it's a decent MP3 player.  

by the way, if you do choose to get a blackberry, do not get the Pearl Flip. i own one and it is crap

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf
    • You do not need to buy your music through iTunes for an iPhone. You can use all your existing music.
    • I've never had a problem with MMS. I text constantly too.

Are you even able to get an iPhone without having a data plan? I wasn't under the impression that you could. I don't think you can with a Blackberry either.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c1337us

I have been more happy with the iPhone since I got one about a year or so ago to any other phone I have ever had. It's the only one where I have been happy to just keep updating it instead of just moving on and looking for a different product.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By subject2change

A Data plan is REQUIRED on any sort of smart phone. So you need to factor that in, that is if you are doing the upgrade through your provider. If you arej ust buying a used phone on eBay you don't need to worry about that and just that you'll be popping in your sim card.

The iPhone 3GS is great, I assume the 4 is even better. I have no complaints about mine personally. I really wanted something that I could just free up pocket space as well with, 32Gigs isnt enough space for me (for music purposes) however it gets the job done.

I Don't know much about blackberry's however i've heard good things about the Bold as well.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By nicolenomicon

I wouldn't even buy a new phone. Phones are for calling people bro.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

I have the HTC Aria. It's an Android phone, and it isn't that expensive either. The only problem is that the camera has no flash.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Mrskidders

I have been using iPhones since they came out and have an iPhone 4 now.  I have never had any problems with anything. 

WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Im stuck in the same boat :P I was looking at getting a blackberry but idk. I saw this phone on Orange called a Rio, its like a blackberry but cheaper if you cant pay too much. 
    Other than that I was just going to hassle to an iPhone :/
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By mike
    @KevinTheDeviant said:
    Only internet support I'll be needing is through WiFi..
    You say that, but wait until you get an iPhone and start messing around with all of the different apps and fun things you can do with 3G. 

Get an iPhone 4.
    Avatar image for kevinthedeviant
    KevinTheDeviant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KevinTheDeviant
    @MB said:

" @KevinTheDeviant said:

Only internet support I'll be needing is through WiFi..
    You say that, but wait until you get an iPhone and start messing around with all of the different apps and fun things you can do with 3G.   Get an iPhone 4. "

Well, that could be true. Maybe once I get things in order enough to buy one of these, I'd be able to afford a data plan. Which, going by these replies, is mandatory for a lot of these phones, anyway. I'm weary of the Blackberry. My uncle got one, the data plan was expensive, and the phone started to show wear and tear after the first year, then he just got a plain phone like mine, to save money. Hell, with the mandatory data plan, I'm almost tempted to just get an iPod touch and keep my phone. I'd still have two devices, but it'd be an upgrade. (Money's going to be tight for a while, because both my 360 and my brother's have stopped playing discs in the same month.)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xyzygy
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I have 2 friends who both just got the X10 and they hate it. They hate the touch screen, it's terrible to use. I tried it and it didn't seem too bad, but they say the more time you spend with it it gets more noticeable... a shame
    arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arkasai

My girlfriend got a Samsung Vibrant recently, and she's cant be torn from the damn thing.  I can't either when I actually can play with the phone.....hopelessley addicted to Abduction and AirControl >_<  But yeah any Galaxy S phone by Samsung is a winner, screen is so fucking colorful it hurts.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.