Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

Giant Bomb Racing League - Season 4

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I think a break will be good, and hopefully a lot of people will feel refreshed and want to come back sometime in the new year. Until then, here are some other leagues you might be interested in:

Roadkill Racing Series (short track racing, CRASHCAR)

Infinite Sportscar Series (endurance racing, stock car road racing)

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Dang, I miss one weekend and now nobody wants to race. Are we not racing at all this weekend then?

That is unfortunate that attendance has been down and understandable that not everyone can make all the races lately, and that some are feeling a little burnt out. A break might be what we need, though I hope people don't forget to come back when we get started up again.

We should use this time to think about how to change things going forward. Two nights of racing instead of three, perhaps. Maybe do a mid-week race and then a weekend race, or something along those lines. No more tracking of points, just race for fun, not for a championship (unless we get attendance back up again). I'm just spitballing here. I think most of these things have already been suggested, I'm just listing a few of them out that might be worth implementing. I'm down for just about anything. Maybe not endurance racing, but just about anything else works for me.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll definitely be back, I didn't buy this cockpit for nothing! :P

I have some ideas floating around too, but I'll let them sit for a bit until we're ready to get rolling again. Though I do agree with doing two races per week, hopefully one of them being our crazy variety of wacky races known as FNT. :D

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy holidays you guys. Hope everyone's doing well. Looking forward to racing with you again in 2015. :)

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mouse: So, I'm feeling the need for speed again. Don't think we would get a proper league race going right now, but why not try to join some official or hosted racing together?

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm feeling it as well! The break has me feeling refreshed. My subscription ended, but I'm going to renew in a week or two. I want to try to run the full NASCAR season; it seems like a great idea but who knows if I'll be able to stick with it. We should definitely get in some races soon!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When does the next official season start?

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I was planing 2015 as my year of getting back into iRacing, then my computer went into the shitter and I had this two week work trip. I plan on building out a pc next week to get back at it so I'm down for racing in 2015.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann said:

When does the next official season start?

March 16th (I think). Sucks that iRacing doesn't let you view their forum if your subscription is out. It'd be nice to lurk and see what's going on.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having their forum locked behind a paywall has always been a pain. They should just let everyone view it, but only members can post.

I've been thinking about getting back into racing as well. I've barely hooked the wheel up since the league took a break. I liked our scheduled weekend races. Gave me something to think about and plan for each week. Without that, I feel kinda aimless and rarely even think about joining official races, even though those happen all hours of the day. Plus, it always feels weird racing against random people. I liked racing with you guys. I joined this league at the same time I bought into iRacing, so to me the league and the sim are synonymous.

Attendance will probably still be a factor though. Those races we did where we opened it up to the public went reasonably well. I'd be up for something like that again. Maybe do like a hosted weekend session for a couple weeks, see how that goes.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Mouse

Too bad we didn't put a team together for the Daytona 24 (though it would have been a calamity for Team GB). We could do the Sebring 12 in March. :D

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: Yeah, 24h is a bit much. Would be great if they had a 6h event, but even 12h of Sebring sounds pretty reasonable for me, at least from a time investment standpoint. I'd like to experience the challenges, joys and frustrations of team racing. Building a setup that's reasonable for different people seems fun and so does the actual racing which I imagine to be quite different. Luckily (sadly?) iRacing does not have changing track conditions or that would be a whole other beast as well.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any race can be a 6 hour race if we crash partway through :D (or a 3-minute race, etc.)

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was out for the 24 hours of Daytona but I would have been down for trying it. I've tried to do some endurance events with my Dad in the past but haven't tried since the driver swaps. We should try to fill a team or two for Sebring for sure.

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any updates on Giant Bomb racing (iracing or otherwise)? I don't think I've really touched my wheel since we went on break and I think I'm finally ready to race again on one service or another. I feel like we have a good group of guys, and we just need to find some new recruits, maybe when pCars is released if it isn't broken as all hell others in the GB community might want to get involved.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Mouse

I'd like to get back to racing again as well. I haven't touched my wheel in 3 months and still need to renew iRacing.

We should race.

EDIT: Subscription renewed. I'm ready to go!

sebw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys! I'm back from a vacation (both from iRacing and work etc.) and pretty keen to get back to it, I really want to get back to the V8 Super cars but I'd be happy to particiapte in a weekly Star Mazda or GT3 series with you guys. Also keen for the Sebring endurance event at the end of the month. I'd suggest we try to build a team of at least 3 people so if anyone can't do their share it's not game over for anyone, and it should mean there is always someone to talk to about strategy or whatever and to help keep focus. It would be super cool if we could get more than 1 entry though :D

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Mouse

How about Friday Night Thunder next week, and again the week after.. on the Monza oval. :D

I'm definitely in for the Sebring race (and probably the other Endurance races for this year too; they all sound fun). I'm sure we'd have no problem getting a team or two together.

EDIT: You know, the team GT3 series is only going to be two races per week next season, so they'll get good attendance. Anyone want to run those? They're 3 hour races. Seems perfect for us!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be keen for a Monza oval race if someone wants to organise it :D

Also in for the Sebring race. I think we could pretty easily field a couple of teams.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: @mouse: I'd love to do some team racing and it's great to hear that next season they'll do the GT3 series like they were supposed to from the start. Unfortunately I won't be around for the Sebring race as I'm driving home for easter + Wrestlemania. But otherwise I'm always down for some racing, any time and day of the week.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very much looking forward to getting back into iRacing on a more regular basis again, and really excited about Monza! I'd be up for either the oval configuration, or the road+oval config if they include that option. I'd even be willing to buy the Lotus 49 if we decide that's the car we're going to race with.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know about the schedule change in the team GT3. That sounds cool. I'm going to do the full GT3 next season and looking for a C or D class to get in for the credits as well. If the team thing works that could fit the bill. I'm also wanting to do Sebring. I'll make a new thread for that to plan easier.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Mouse

Do you guys want to do Friday Night Thunder tomorrow night? I'll host it a race if so.

EDIT: We'll be running tomorrow at our usual time: 9:00 PM EST / 02:00 GMT. It'll be Gen6 at Daytona!

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse said:

Do you guys want to do Friday Night Thunder tomorrow night? I'll host it a race if so.

EDIT: We'll be running tomorrow at our usual time: 9:00 PM EST / 02:00 GMT. It'll be Gen6 at Daytona!

Woo!

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Some nice last lap Daytona action from tonight. Got a bit crazy in the open server for a while there. Join us...

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was fun...but now I look back and wonder how I ever managed to do three races per weekend...just one and I'm tired now :P

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slowbird: I think three races per weekend was part of the problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah 3 races + all the practise for each of them was way too much.

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By ConnorPOZ

Yeah I think 3 races was rough on people. I only ever did FD so it was easy for me, but I couldn't imagine doing all 3.

Are people interested in bringing the league back or more looking for some FND stuff? I'm good either way

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just so you guys know, I'm hosting again this Friday at the same time. Do note that daylight savings bullshit happened, and it will still be at 9:00PM ET.

Since I'm hosting and have the power (haha), I've decided we're going to race the new Trucks at Monza (It'll be the combined layout without the chicanes, so we can go fast!).

BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does that mean it's an hour earlier, or later?

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: Should be an hour later for you now. According to my time zone app, 9:00PM ET = 2:00PM NZ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mouse: That's actually an hour earlier :D

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: Yep, you're right!

Just in case I messed up and the NZ time I posted is wrong, I'll be sure to tweet an hour or so before the server opens. ;)

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Monza is just as fun as I'd hoped. The layouts without the chicanes aren't exactly the same as the original historic track, but it's nice they included the extra circuits. The oval track is every bit as ridiculous as it should be, especially in a modern day Indycar.

Are we racing just the new trucks this week, or a combination of the old and new models? I'm not sure I'm going to buy the new ones considering I never got around to ever doing a race with the old one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aren't the new ones just different models? Same physics, right?

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By maxx77

The new trucks are 50 lbs. lighter. Horsepower is the same. Not sure what all else might be different.

Correction... they list them as 50 lbs. lighter on one page, but show them as being identical weight on another. I have no idea.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I was wrong. I got a $5 refund for buying the old truck though, which is nice. I was probably going to pick up the Toyota anyway. Might as well add the old truck in though, for those that don't want to buy a new one.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Mouse

I'll put the old one in too. Though one of the new ones is a Toyota, so it's worth buying for that alone. :D

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried the 49 Lotus at Monza combined yesterday and that is as much of a beast as you'd expect. Dropping into the oval from the straight feels like dropping down a skate ramp. My only real world comparison I can make. It's kind of nuts. Also a pack of 49's on the high banks looks pretty.

I did some laps at Sebring in the new Ford GT3. It's more stable I'd say. It's still a feels like a heavy pig with the new baseline setup but we can see what the setup gurus come up with. The new suspension changes seemed to have mixed everyone up though. All the setups need to be changed and it might need more than just changing the spring perch for the ride height to get the balance back. Not sure. I didn't do any laps in the BMW to compare yet.

The steam integration is available for everyone now. It's cool enough and seems to work fine on my PC. Some game's steam overlay makes everything chug but works fine in iRacing. Is there a GBRL steam group already?
    The only thing I bought was Monza so if we do trucks Friday I'd be cool if we enable racing the old ones still. Hmm what is a truck time vs a Lotus 49? :)

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trucks don't work on the combined layout; it doesn't let you extend the gears long enough. We'll have to run a different car. I'm just going throw 5 different cars in there and let everyone pick, because FUCK IT, FRIDAY NIGHT THUNDER! The 5 cars will be:

Lotus 49, RUF RWD, Silver Crown, Cadillac CTS-V and the Super Late Model. If someone wants to run one of the V8 cars or something else, let me know and I'll swap.

We'll have 40 minute practice, 1 lap lone qualifying, and a 30 minute race.

BE THERE!

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To drive the almost undriveable Lotus 49, or something more sensible? Decisions decisions!

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxx77: The street RUF is terrifying as well. It'll do 200 on the banking, but you'll be on the edge of death at that speed. 215 going into Curva Grande. :D

Should be a fun one!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should swap out the Silver Crown for the V8SC (the Holden I guess)

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: Done.

Just as a note, I've given admin rights to Khann, SlowB and Iro. If you see anyone being a jerk, feel free to kick em' out!

ProjectRico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested, will be filling out that form soon.

Mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Mouse

@projectrico: We aren't doing league races at the moment, but we're doing some under the regular hosted section. Feel free to join us tomorrow, look for "Giant Bomb Friday Night Thunder."

ConnorPOZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember Mouse or someone asking on Twitter for what tracks/ cars I have so here is what I got. I'm obviously not adversed to buying new content though.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By maxx77

That was a really fun race. Never thought I'd be able to do a decent race in the Ruf RWD. That thing has practically no brakes and far too much horsepower. It was great! Seb really stole the show though, with some very skillful Lotus 49 driving. I mean, just look at him..

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

That is the face of a man without fear. Good win.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Seb smashed it. Fun race :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.