Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

Help me get into iRacing

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

I've been really wanting to get into racing sims and I have finally decided to do so. I've always wanted to get into cars but don't have a garage or the proper income to do so. I also dont know how to use manual and eventually want to buy a vintage 4 speed Nova, figured this could be a way to learn. What would be a good setup for a beginner?

Here's what I'm working with -

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/Moshiiii/WP_20130627_002_zps6b3337a1.jpg

I figure I can pull out my desk chair and get a small table to mount a racing wheel. Or I could just buy a wheel stand off ebay.

What racing wheel should I get? I see someone is selling a fantatec Porsche GT2 Racing wheel on my local craigslist

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/vgm/3959458206.html

I could get that plus pedals a track IR and be good to go?

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

First off, you might consider whether iRacing's the right path to go down, since it can be rather expensive to get deep into. There's other racing sims out there that would be cheaper in the longer run, like Live for Speed or anything Simbin's put out. Still, if Drew showing off the costs in the Quick Look didn't dissuade you, then you should be fine. Just be aware it can get rather pricey.

Looking at your current situation, you'll definitely want a chair and a table or wheel mount for any setup. Couches work for some people, but I find them intrusive and a little cumbersome when trying to drive well. That Fanatec from Craigslist is probably OK, but I don't see any mention of pedals, so you still might have to pick some up from Fanatec's site if that's the case. Logitech also has decent wheels like the G27 that will do nicely, if you can't find or obtain a Fanatec that suits your fancy. I'm just not a fan of how close the Logitech pedals are placed together.

Finally, crucial note here: If you're looking to learn how to use manual transmission from a racing sim, it's not going to teach you all the nuances you'll need to know to handle a manual transmission in a street car. There's a lot more feeling and sensation that racing sims just aren't able to pick up, especially in the clutch pedal and shifter. They'll help you understand torque curves and when to shift, but not so much on how to properly shift. If you want to learn that in reality, you might consider looking around for a cheap beater car with a manual that you could abuse and stall without much worry. That's the best practice available, even if it's perhaps a bit impractical for the pocketbook.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the information. I did some looking at other sims as suggested and decided I need me some iRacing for sure.

I think I will get a logitech g27. What was Drew using on the quicklook that had the monitor panel on the wheel?

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Loading Video...

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bro, get a racing wheel with me!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

What was Drew using on the quicklook that had the monitor panel on the wheel?

He said the Logitech M23, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't exist. My best guess is that if it was a Logitech, it was the G27, which doesn't have a full LED display on the wheel, but does have those nifty shift lights.

Might have been something else, though. It wouldn't surprise me to find a fancier wheel out there with more of a proper display on it.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By slowbird

@bribo said:
    Loading Video...

I wish Vinny would buy a racing wheel and end this debate forever. I mean, he bought a flight stick and a TrackIR hat. Why not a racing wheel? It's way more useful than a flight stick because there are way more driving sims than flight sims.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg said:

@coldsnapbryan said:

What was Drew using on the quicklook that had the monitor panel on the wheel?

He said the Logitech M23, but as far as I can tell, that doesn't exist. My best guess is that if it was a Logitech, it was the G27, which doesn't have a full LED display on the wheel, but does have those nifty shift lights.

Might have been something else, though. It wouldn't surprise me to find a fancier wheel out there with more of a proper display on it.

I'm a Logitech user and it was a G27. From what you could see it looked like a G25/G27, the only difference between them being different button layouts, shifting and the LED lights. You couldn't see any of the buttons but as he was talking about shift lights on his wheel it had to be the G27.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I use a G27 and made a custom table that sits perfect height on the couch, only a few hours of hassle and it works fine.

You won't get a feel for a proper manual on the sim, you can't feel the grip point on the clutch or feel the gearbox correctly, manuals aren't that hard to drive honestly they just take a few hours practice.

If you want to get into Iracing you need to give it lots of time, I just broke free of rookie on oval races and I will say it requires almost perfect racing to get that far. Causing or being in accidents hit your safety rating, learn the rules of the type of racing you are going to do before you get into real racing. If you follow the rules correctly you can coast to D class quite easily and with very few accidents. I actually finished 5th on an oval race today with no accidents at all and got a stupid amount of safety points, all I did was literally just try and sit behind whoever I was infront of and made it from 9th to there from people just spinning off the road.

My biggest advice is ignore your race position when learning, trying to get positions will cause you to crash and a smooth race will get you closer to D class than an accident filled race. However you will hit people doing wrong things, especially on oval races they are almost IMPOSSIBLE to avoid some times.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Cool. I think I decided on a G27. I initially had a fanatec setup in my cart but read a few reviews and I'm really turned off by all the calibration options. G27 seems much more plug and play, then you can adjust what you need in their simpler program UI. I think this is best for a beginner.

originalgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Alright, so made a setup for iracing. Got a 120hz monitor.. don't even know if iracing supports that. But here's what I'm working with, ran some wires through a wall to have a desk connected to my htpc computer. The question is. Do i have enough room in front of my monitor for a logitech g27? I think so..

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@coldsnapbryan: I think the wheel will fit there. Not sure if it will clamp to that desk, I mean it probably will but every wheel has a different clamping system and some of them only work on thinner desks and some only work on thicker desks, so worst case scenario you may have to rig up some blocks to put the clamps over.

My concern would be that you might not have enough leg room to comfortably position the pedals.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Hmm okay, The top isn't mounted on so I can always get a deeper top. Maybe someone with a G27 can chime in.

Cool green NB btw!

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played the crap out of Forza and GT. Liked it, used controller though.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By yakov456

Just watch the supports under the surface. The further you come out the more pressure that wheel puts on them. I'm using a driving force GT and its surprisingly heavy. I've got a heavy duty TV tray I set mine on. The foot placement is more a matter of personal comfort. If you sit far out its usually more comfortable , using more of your leg to push the pedal. Sitting closer I find your foot control is better on the pedal but your using mostly your ankle which can get tiresome.

drewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By drewbert

@coldsnapbryan: The G27 (which is what I was using in the office - I just couldn't remember the name of it so I just spouted out some random letters and numbers) should fit nicely on your desk. However, the pedals the G27 comes with might butt up against your wall, pushing them uncomfortably close to your chair. According to the Internet, the dimensions of the pedals are 420mm deep, and the pedals themselves are set about halfway along the base, so it might be a good idea to take some measurements before you drop $240. Good luck duder!

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IroN1c

@coldsnapbryan said:

Hmm okay, The top isn't mounted on so I can always get a deeper top. Maybe someone with a G27 can chime in.

Cool green NB btw!

I got a G25, which is the same size and it should fit, no problem at all. My table is way smaller and all I have to do is push back the keyboard a bit. You shouldn't even have to do that. One thing though: Your table/desk thingie seems kinda thin from the image (I could be completely wrong) but for some reason Logitech thought it was a good idea that you can't completely, well I don't even know what to call them, close the clamp-things on the wheel so your table has to have a certain thickness to it for them to grip the table. Nothing you couldn't fix though, for me it is actually so small that some cardboard to close the gap is all it takes. I'm tired and I can't write properly right know, but I hope you understand. BOTTOM LINE IS: Your setup should work without problems.

EDIT:

I'm a complete dumbass, basically what slowbird said. I can confirm that the G25/27 needs a desk of a certain thickness for the clamping system to work, too thin doesn't do it.

EDIT2:

Also pretty much what Drew said.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Gotcha. Thanks so much for all the info guys and thanks Drew! Seems like I can make it work with a few modifications or even buying another 17$ desk top.

morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By morello

I used to just put a medium-sized catalog between the desk and the clamps on the underside of the desk to fill it out, so don't worry too much about that side of things, unless the desk isn't sturdy. As mentioned the pedals might be a little close to you.

marcmann2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By marcmann2

The G27 shouldn't have any problem with the desk being too thin. The clamps on the wheel can close without anything in between the clamp and the wheelbase so it can be able to fit thin desks. I actually secure mine to my keyboard tray without any issues.

ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Answer to this problem is to knock out a hole in the wall to fit pedals. Haha

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just make sure that desktop is securely mounted there 'cause things can get pretty hairy in the heat of a race. The pedals shouldn't be too close to you there, but I guess that depends on the length of your arms/legs.

You'll likely want to put some chocks on the wheels of that chair when you're racing though, or you might find yourself flying across the room before long :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.