The Giant Bomb Racing League

#651 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

@mouse: I think that's actually a problem with the latest physics update. Eau Rouge should be easily flat in the FW31.

Just adjusting the high gear might make 6th -> 7th a bit of a sluggish shift. Adjusting the overall ratio (final drive?) to be a bit longer would probably be an OK solution, though. Might make the lower gears a little more sluggish than is ideal, but oh well.

I think having high-downforce at every track is probably a good idea, though. We'll need all the help we can get to stay on track ;)

#652 Posted by IroN1c (495 posts) -

@Khann: yeah, I'm really pissed off, Internet died on Monday and since then they basically didn't do anything to fix it. On Monday I thought, "right, they'll have it fixed until Saturday without issue", but....I have to go to A FUCKING BUS STATION TO GET MOBILE INTERNET AND IT'S 2 DEGREES OUT HERE (CELSIUS, NOT YOUR FAHRENHEIT NONSENSE) AND IT'S 10pm SO I LOOK LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON THAT SLEEPS AT THE BUS STOPS. WITH AN IPAD. /end of rant

Good luck to y'all in tomorrow's race, the last races have been so great and so much fun, I'm seriously sad that I'll probably miss it.

#653 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@iron1c said:

@Khann: yeah, I'm really pissed off, Internet died on Monday and since then they basically didn't do anything to fix it. On Monday I thought, "right, they'll have it fixed until Saturday without issue", but....I have to go to A FUCKING BUS STATION TO GET MOBILE INTERNET AND IT'S 2 DEGREES OUT HERE (CELSIUS, NOT YOUR FAHRENHEIT NONSENSE) AND IT'S 10pm SO I LOOK LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON THAT SLEEPS AT THE BUS STOPS. WITH AN IPAD. /end of rant

Good luck to y'all in tomorrow's race, the last races have been so great and so much fun, I'm seriously sad that I'll probably miss it.

This is why you don't Communism, folks.

#654 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

@iron1c: i feel your pain. i missed a race earlier in the season because my internet crapped out literally 5 minutes before the race started. take it the equivalent of a mechanical failure in real life but it still sucks massive balls.

also, anyone else wanna try street stocks and late models on road courses? ive been a big fan of the NASCAR canadian tire series the past few years, taken the LM to mosport a few times in testing the past few years and its really a blast and the races are epic close because of the nature of the cars.

And a slow dissappointing shake of the head to hayfourzee if hes anywhere around toronto and has never taken the short pilgramige to mosport (canadian tire motorsports park) to watch a race

#655 Posted by Dark (379 posts) -

@davyc412: Its quite hard to get them setup for road, the setup in Iracing doesn't mirror equally on most of the oval only cars.

#656 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

The Lotus 49 is the best/worst.

#657 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

@skullcrushermountain It was sooo much faster on the straights. Seemed like it made it nearly impossible for the late models to overtake.

#658 Edited by Mouse (359 posts) -

Question: does my voice chat quality sound bad often? I'm using an old Rock Band microphone mounted right next to my wheel... Let me know if it's terrible and I'll look into an upgrade.

Fun time tonight, beside obliterating my car on lap 6, that was a solid drive.

#659 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

@mouse said:

Question: does my voice chat quality sound bad often? I'm using an old Rock Band microphone mounted right next to my wheel... Let me know if it's terrible and I'll look into an upgrade.

It's not the clearest/loudest mic around, but it's easy enough to hear what you're saying.

#660 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@mouse said:

I literally thought you had either a lag spike or a brain hemorrhage. Just for no reason in the apex, you went "fuck this, I'm turning right."

#661 Posted by maxx77 (233 posts) -

@pseg Glad you liked the setup. I'd take credit but I didn't make that one from scratch. I used someone else's setup (don't remember who shared it originally) and made little tweaks to it. I used it in the last couple of races where I used the Street Stock, with changes made to the fuel and gear ratio to match each track. It seems to be really stable, at least as stable as that car can get, everywhere I've used it. Not totally sure how competitive it is, but I like it. Sorry your race went south like it did though. Even with that setup, it's easy to over accelerate or brake at the wrong time and lose it. I somehow only lost control once in the whole race, braking too hard while turning into turn 1.

I really messed up on the fuel though. PsEG was smart enough to add an extra gallon just before gridding up. I don't know how I wound up with 8 instead of 9 gallons. Either iRacing lied when I practiced and misrepresented how many laps I could go, or I mistakenly dropped it down a gallon during the practice session and forgot to bump it back up before saving and sharing it. In the end it didn't matter too much at least. I think I'm the only person it really affected. I had to stop for gas with less than 10 laps to go. I almost lost a position but luckily didn't.

And with that... I may be done with the Street Stock. I went ahead and purchased the Monte Carlo SS after the race ended. I then took it to Bristol and drove in circles for a half hour. It grips the pavement much better than I had anticipated. I just used the baseline setup and was somewhat reasonably fast. I then loaded up the USA track and did a 22 second lap right away. And then I wrecked it pretty badly, but that was a fun lap at least.

#662 Posted by Dark (379 posts) -

@maxx77: It grips really well for the first few laps if you push it, then the tires get 'old' rather quickly. Its not a car you can just 100% push for an entire 75 lap race without it starting to loose lots of grip.

#663 Edited by maxx77 (233 posts) -
@dark said:

@maxx77: It grips really well for the first few laps if you push it, then the tires get 'old' rather quickly. Its not a car you can just 100% push for an entire 75 lap race without it starting to loose lots of grip.

I seldom manage to finish a race without any accidents, so it probably won't matter. It's perfect!

*update*

Ok you aren't kidding about the tires. I thought something was up when I tested at Bristol the first time, but I assumed the poor handling was a result of me smacking the wall repeatedly. I just went back in for another practice session and realized the tires really do drop off dramatically. My first couple of laps are always my fastest. From there, the car just gets slower and slower. It really only takes about two laps. Each time I take a turn, I'm having to rotate the wheel more and more. It's like they made the tires for qualifying sessions but not for racing.

I think I still like the car though. With a better setup the tires would probably last longer.

#664 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

yeah that always seemed to be the trick with the LM in the past. did a season of it way back when. its so tempting to just push really hard the first quarter of the race and throw it away by the end, but easing off and saving the tires usually pays off in the long run even if you lose some positions in the start.

its also an epic beyond words road course car. here is the setup i was talking about during the race. i think it was designed for the old tire model but it seems to work fine elsewhere. gearing is set for LRP so youll probably have the rear end ratio longer for elsewhere (this actually might be the one i play with at mosport so the gearing might be longer already)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33323145/Lime%20Rock%20GS%20V4%20(new).sto

EDIT:just found this set on the forums. supposed to be for watkins glen but works great elsewhere (only tried mosport so far) with a small tweak to the rear end ratio for gearing. its a lot more neutral than the set i posted above which is a lot more twitchy since its for the otm. this one is a little more prone to understeer but seems like a much better road course baseline.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33323145/FH_Watkins_2012_15laps.sto

#665 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -
#666 Posted by Trace (3554 posts) -

Heads up! This is sudden, but I think I've hit the limit of responses for the GBF1 survey, so we're going to start a practice session. Two, in fact.

One is at 8 AM tomorrow morning, the other's at 8 PM tomorrow night (US Eastern time). Track is Spa, car is the Formula 1 FW31. If you can make it and want to practice, awesome. Otherwise, don't worry about it. I'm setting these events in order to determine response on short notice, AND what setups might be best.

We'll probably start racing GBF1 sometime next Sunday.

#667 Posted by MikBe (37 posts) -

Are we racing oval or road course setup? I was just playing around on the road course setup and that is a heck of a lot of fun!

#668 Posted by Trace (3554 posts) -

@mikbe: Tomorrow's race is on the Charlotte oval setup. Round 3 was the road course.

#669 Edited by HayFourZee (361 posts) -

@pseg: What time on Sundays will we be racing the gbf1?

#670 Posted by Trace (3554 posts) -

@hayfourzee: Not determined yet. Depends on practice results.

#671 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

@davyc412: Would personalization include custom colors?

#672 Posted by gutterboy44 (4 posts) -

We will be racing on the oval with the Skippy? That will be a first for me.

#673 Posted by DavyC412 (151 posts) -
#674 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@pseg: I'll definitely be there for the 8 PM one, might show up for the 8 AM one, too.

#675 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@davyc412: Would personalization include custom colors?

What about pictures of Johnny V and/or Drake?

#676 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

I'm... not so sure about using the base iRacing setups anymore. Decided to buy Spa and do a few laps. Was finding it pretty difficult to drive fast with the high-downforce setup. Kept losing the rear end in fast corners where the car should be absolutely glued to the track.

Then I tried a setup I found on the iRacing forums. I immediately went around 5 seconds faster. The setup is much, much easier to drive. It's much less twitchy, rides the bumps far better and stays stuck to the track as you would expect in high speed corners. I can take Eau Rouge/Radillon and Blanchimont completely flat, no problems. Can get on the throttle significantly earlier coming out of corners as well (can almost floor it entirely halfway through Rivage).

It being faster isn't really that big of a deal, but the dramatic difference in driveability is pretty important. Obviously the plan isn't to drive the iRacing schedule, so getting a setup won't be possible for many of the tracks we're racing, I imagine. Maybe taking a setup from the iRacing forums as a solid baseline and making small adjustments would be a better way to go than using the included iRacing setups. e.g. an Interlagos setup would probably be a good setup without too many significant compromises.

#677 Edited by slowbird (1703 posts) -

@khann: I guess I'm not surprised...some of iRacing's default setups feel like they have never been updated since they were first released. I bet we can find a good forum setup that will work for what we want to do.

#678 Posted by DavyC412 (151 posts) -
#679 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

@slowbird: Yeah it feels like a completely different car.

Out of curiosity, I tried that same Spa setup at Road Atlanta. 3 seconds faster instantly, 4-5 seconds faster after a little practise. Knowing that the car won't suddenly lose grip for no reason at all gives you so much more confidence to push hard.

Having so much fun I can't stop driving this car now...

e: just realised I never shared that setup for people that might have wanted to give it a go. This is it as I got it from the forum, and this is one I adjusted for a 20 lap race. All I did was add fuel and raise the front ride height a bit so it would pass tech. I'll share it in the practise sessions anyway if you can't be bothered downloading it.

#680 Edited by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@khann said:

@slowbird: Yeah it feels like a completely different car.

Out of curiosity, I tried that same Spa setup at Road Atlanta. 3 seconds faster instantly, 4-5 seconds faster after a little practise. Knowing that the car won't suddenly lose grip for no reason at all gives you so much more confidence to push hard.

Having so much fun I can't stop driving this car now...

Thank god. All I want to do is drive that fucking car, and I'm chuffed that I'll finally get to do it regularly.

#681 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

@davyc412: You read my mind! The second pic is the one I'd like, with a couple of minor color adjustments. Here are the colors I'm using right now:

Blue: #003BB3 -- Orange: #E66425

#682 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

@samuraigarrin check your pm. if you need help getting it set up and in game, give me a shout.

#683 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

also for the race today at charlotte, what is the pit-in etiquette? are we going in from the apron or just diving in whenever? also wondering what the overtaking etiquette is between the skip and mazda. im assuming the mazda stays low and the skip stays high when overtaking?

#684 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

@davyc412 said:

also for the race today at charlotte, what is the pit-in etiquette? are we going in from the apron or just diving in whenever? also wondering what the overtaking etiquette is between the skip and mazda. im assuming the mazda stays low and the skip stays high when overtaking?

Skippy has more grip so I think it's fair for the Mazda to hold their line and let the Skippy drivers make their way around.

Are pit-stops mandatory? PsEG made an off-hand comment about fuel being important for this race, and now you're making this one. I feel like I'm missing something here ;) As for etiquette.. I think if you've got someone close by you, let them know you're pulling into the pits. Beyond that, I think it's OK to enter the pits however you like, as long as you're safe. I'm no oval racer though, so others may have a different opinion.

#685 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

skip doesnt hold enough fuel for 60 laps at charlotte (at least from the calculations ive made form testing) so we will all have to make a pit stop at least once for fuel.

with i had a microphone that works :s

#686 Posted by IroN1c (495 posts) -

@PsEG: just as a heads up regarding attendance, I would've attended both sessions, if I had internet.

#687 Posted by Trace (3554 posts) -

Keep in mind full-course cautions are in play for this race. That may affect strategy significantly. I'm still mulling over my fuel strategy as a result.

#688 Posted by Khann (2850 posts) -

Ooo interesting. Probably need to account for the fact your RPM could end up being quite a bit higher if you're in and out of a draft all race, too.

F1 starts in 20 min so don't really have time to test before the actual practise session, but there should be plenty of time for a solid fuel run.

@davyc412 I think there is a chat macro for "Pitting In". Bind that to a button on your wheel and you'll be good to go :D Have a look in the options (if there isn't one, they're easy enough to make).

#689 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

@khann: yep just did some testing and found that button and mapped it to my wheel. :) hopefully shouldnt cause any problems now... hopefully.

#690 Posted by SamuraiGarrin (75 posts) -

@davyc412: Thanks, duder! Looks great, and I like the signature.

Got it uploaded to Trading Paints, so you should see its debut in today's race!

#691 Edited by DavyC412 (151 posts) -

good stuff, cant wait! :D

#692 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

Did iRacing just collapse?

Anyway, that was an awesome race. Damn you whoever hit me on the second last lap! I'm pretty sure every caution was me getting horrifically destroyed.

#693 Edited by Mouse (359 posts) -

I think so, @khann. I cant look at the league page. EDIT: working now!

My race ended around lap 20 or so, when there was a wreck in front of me and someone slid up the track and I had nowhere to go. Landed upside down, and the 4 minute tow ended my race. (then I downshifted by accident on the restart and blew my engine, to go another lap down). Enjoyable, nevertheless.

#694 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@khann said:

Anyway, that was an awesome race. Damn you whoever hit me on the second last lap! I'm pretty sure every caution was me getting horrifically destroyed.

You hit yourself. I just watched the replay, you came down into MikeBe, he bounced off PsEG, and back into you. You caused two of your own wrecks :D

#695 Edited by slowbird (1703 posts) -

I should have stayed in the back of the pack being careful until the end, maybe then I wouldn't have been upside down >_< Fun race though! We should do it again, but not for points.

#696 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

@skullcrushermountain said:

@khann said:

You hit yourself. I just watched the replay, you came down into MikeBe, he bounced off PsEG, and back into you. You caused two of your own wrecks :D

Yeah I just watched it as well, and you are absolutely right. I have no idea why I turned in.. my apologies for blaming you DT (is that right? sorry, I've forgotten :( ).

That first incident with Slowbird is weird though. On my replay we don't actually make contact. We're just racing close, then all of a sudden Slowbird is spinning like I hit him.

I'm getting a bit more worked up than I normally would now that the championship is getting down to it.. ;) This race certainly made it a whole lot more interesting for the last 3 races.

#697 Posted by Trace (3554 posts) -

Man, what a race. I think we'll be back there next season. Maybe force that race to Skippies only, just to prevent Miata Madness (no offense, B0nd).

I should probably share this now: My scoring spreadsheet for Formula Duder. It's what I use to summarize the top five each week, and it should give a good idea of where everyone stands. Feel free to copy it to your spreadsheet program of choice and toy around with it.

#698 Edited by SkullcrusherMountain (954 posts) -

@khann said:

@skullcrushermountain said:

@khann said:

Yeah I just watched it as well, and you are absolutely right. I have no idea why I turned in.. my apologies for blaming you DT (is that right? sorry, I've forgotten :( ).

That first incident with Slowbird is weird though. On my replay we don't actually make contact. We're just racing close, then all of a sudden Slowbird is spinning like I hit him.

I'm getting a bit more worked up than I normally would now that the championship is getting down to it.. ;) This race certainly made it a whole lot more interesting for the last 3 races.

Yeah, I noticed that too. All of a sudden, he turns right, as if he lost his mind and hit the brakes and the back right only locked up. The fact that you guys "contacted" first makes more sense. Guess my client just didn't pick it up.

I'm SUPER glad I showed up for this race, since I almost didn't. Been super stressed from work lately and that manifests itself in pretty much crippling neck pain.

I think next season, as we get more and more comfortable with these cars and racing in general, we'll do less dumb things that end people's races :D

#699 Posted by B0nd07 (1699 posts) -

What a race! Sorry about getting too aggressive at the end. That pack was just so tight; I wanted to get past it. Apologies to anyone I messed up.

Also, you guys are nuts going three-wide as much as you did.

@pseg None taken.

#700 Edited by Khann (2850 posts) -

@b0nd07: Three-wide is terrifying if you don't have triple screens... which I'd say is most of us :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.