The Giant Bomb Racing League

#1701 Posted by Kherven (35 posts) -

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but is there a guide anywhere on which content I should buy to be able to come to most events? Or does it change greatly all the time?

I noticed the 2:00PM race coming up allows a miata, but is atlanta which I don't have.

#1702 Posted by IroN1c (474 posts) -

I was driving safe most of the time, after 3 weeks of crashing I just wanted to finish the race. When @khann and @slowbird crashed in T1 and I was in front somehow, it took a lot of self control on my part not to drive like a madman again. @mouse was a lot faster in T1 and believe me, I tried to go as fast as I could through that turn every lap but I was just way slower (after watching @pseg stream, maybe I was just trying too hard in that corner) but I could make up that time in the carousel every lap. Then I got a bit crazy at the end when my brain was like "okay, 1 gal equals 2 laps exactly, you need two laps, so take 1 gal". Finishing with 0.1 gal left was a bit too close for comfort. Still, 3 wins should pretty much lock me in the chase now, @khann is the only guy behind me that could still get more wins - if he wins all remaining three non-chase races.

#1703 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -

@kherven said:

Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask, but is there a guide anywhere on which content I should buy to be able to come to most events? Or does it change greatly all the time?

The second post in this thread lists the cars for each of the main series and the premium tracks used. They'll vary slightly from season to season, but I try to maintain a bit of consistency for the sake of money.

#1704 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -

Just to drum this up a little more, Road Atlanta's a really fun track for the Skippies. If you can make it and figure out how to handle the first few turns reliably, then I think you're going to have a fun time.

Join usssssssssss

#1705 Edited by Kherven (35 posts) -

alright ya jerks i bought road atlanta and the Skip. Q_Q.Joking aside I was planning on buying the skip anyway. It seems like a breeze to drive, so thats good. The Atlanta course also seems pretty straight-forward once you get the speed right. No crazy tricks up its sleeve like Lime Rock Chicane. I should definitely be there tonight.

#1706 Edited by KartRCR22 (8 posts) -

@pseg said:

Just to drum this up a little more, Road Atlanta's a really fun track for the Skippies. If you can make it and figure out how to handle the first few turns reliably, then I think you're going to have a fun time.

Join usssssssssss

+1

I'm not a huge fan of the skippy, but it's especially fun to drive at high speed momentum tracks like Road Atlanta. I'm hoping to make the main event race tonight.

#1707 Edited by Kherven (35 posts) -

@kherven said:

I was planning on buying the skip anyway. It seems like a breeze to drive.

I lied.

Thanks for the races tonight guys. You can expect me to be at pretty much all the races on fri/sat/sun. I'll try to get some practice in on next week's track so I can be a little more competitive.

#1708 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

Formula Duder with 2 drops:

Drivers
Khann83
Mouse76
Slowbird70
PsEG63
SebW57
HayFourZee55
broncosfan36
Iron1c28
Neemer24
Bifflog19

Great racing tonight; the battle with @khann and then @slowbird were pretty awesome. I was really fast in the Miata but was lacking in the Skippy.

#1709 Posted by IroN1c (474 posts) -

That results table is painful to look at. I was super fast in the MX-5, arguably the fastest, I didn't even make a mistake this time but eh, first lap incidents. What can you do.

#1710 Edited by IroN1c (474 posts) -

Oh and also about that quitting:

Having to do at least 75% race distance to score points would probably be the best idea, but then again, people that are far behind might not even care about that. I just quit because I wrecked it coming down the hill completely, had to go across the track, which was super scary and then take the unsafe pit entry to even make it in there, resulting in another penalty. After doing that again I would've come out just in front of the leaders and knowing myself at that point it was just better to go completely or I would've wrecked someone who was going for points. I already had some weird netcode/me doing dumb stuff-contact earlier with @khann so I just got out and watched the rest on stream. Also I thought about dropping out of FD for this season, but that would be the total dickhead move, so I'll make it my goal to win a race. Going from 2nd in the last season to 8th is pretty frustrating. Season 3 I'll be back. I gained some newfound aggression doing Ovals, which is serving me well for BOMBCAR, VinnCo and GT, but it's a nightmare in the Skippy.

EDIT:

And to be even more honest, I mainly quit the last two weeks so I could continue playing Dark Souls 2.

#1711 Posted by slowbird (1675 posts) -

@iron1c: Honesty is the best policy :D

#1712 Posted by m3phiz (5 posts) -

nice, gonna try it

#1713 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (950 posts) -

I'm setting up a hosted practice session for the Suzuka race starting at 5 PM EST.

#1714 Posted by Noryia (126 posts) -

Hey all,

I've been watching PsEG's twitch stream for the last weeks and I think that I'd like to join ya all for some races. Hopefully I can add to the mid-pack racing. =)

#1715 Edited by SkullcrusherMountain (950 posts) -

Not real sure how I finished behind @pseg despite passing him on the final lap...

Uh, and @neemer, apparently? We were all on the same lap. WTF, iRacing?

#1716 Edited by Khann (2816 posts) -

Well, I binned it again. Found that I could turn in much earlier to 130R, but then got caught out by the extra speed on exit. Couldn't get enough fuel in... and that was that. I would have started saving fuel way sooner if I knew it was going to be so bad, but there you go.

Also wow @thatguylfs, you caught up a lot in the points this race. Hopefully we can slow that charge a bit at Bathurst :D

@skullcrushermountain Yeah not entirely sure how @neemer finished where he did. You went past me before he did.

#1717 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (950 posts) -

@khann said:

Well, I binned it again. Found that I could turn in much earlier to 130R, but then got caught out by the extra speed on exit.

Also wow @thatguylfs, you caught up a lot in the points this race. Hopefully we can slow that charge a bit at Bathurst :D

@skullcrushermountain Yeah not entirely sure how Neemer finished where he did. You went past me before he did.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and officially protest, or something?

#1718 Posted by maxx77 (222 posts) -

@pseg You alt-tabbed out a second too early! I knocked your car over the fence towards the crowd.

#1719 Edited by Trace (3553 posts) -

All I can suggest is this, since I'm not sure what happened with the results:

Take a cool-down lap or so before engaging in silly antics. I'm wondering if the iRacing system threw in a DQ or black flag penalty in a few circumstances from this race and yesterday's race.

#1720 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

Great battle [again], @slowbird. I actually gained time with my early pit to catch you. You were faster than me out of the chicane, so my only chance was 130R. I only would have kept the position if we didn't make contact, but we did, so I let you pass (as painful as it was to see the podium slip away). I deserve some kind of fair play reward for that. :P

Please check out the Points Standings, especially for Formula Duder, as I have added a column to display points with drops.

Next week: Thompson, Summit Point and Bathurst! Looking forward to it.

#1721 Posted by Kherven (35 posts) -

I've been practicing a bit on Summit point. Depending on how many guys you have showing up that track is gunna be a tight squeeze in some parts. The track gets so thin!

#1722 Posted by IroN1c (474 posts) -

Regarding the "PAX-Race":

Extensive research has shown that the Gen6 is super fun and easy enough to drive on Daytona. Just saying, maybe someone's with me on this.

#1723 Edited by GOOSHARP01 (5 posts) -

Hey guys am new to this site and just had to make a new iracing account due to email and password problems. Anyways I'm an experienced racer and would love a fun league to join if you guys are still letting people join.

#1724 Posted by Kherven (35 posts) -

Does anyone know good times for a skip on Summit point short?

I'm getting pretty consistent high 1:05/very low 1:06's but I have no clue what good times are on that config with the skippy

#1725 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

@kherven: Last season's average lap in the race (for the winner) was a 1:04:901. Fastest outright was 1:04:016. @slowbird was pretty quick. Times should be roughly the same depending on weather conditions.

#1726 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -

@mouse said:

@kherven: Last season's average lap in the race (for the winner) was a 1:04:901. Fastest outright was 1:04:016. @slowbird was pretty quick. Times should be roughly the same depending on weather conditions.

Oh maaaan, I thought we were doing the full configuration. Sweet, sweet relief. Had a great race with Slowbird on the short config last season.

#1727 Posted by GOOSHARP01 (5 posts) -

@kherven: a good time for Summit is a high 1:04 low 1:05

#1728 Edited by Kherven (35 posts) -

Does anyone have a video of themselves doing a 1:04? The best i've done after ~120 laps of practice this week is a 1:05.911 with one slip up (without the slip up it would have been 1:05.6 or 7). I've never even come close to that time again (I'm getting consistent 1:06.1's) so the thought that someone can get nearly two seconds lower than that makes me think i'm doing something fundamentally wrong.

I've tried a ton of different setups as well but I believe the setup I had when I got my best time:

(BB:58)(24F/22R)(5SPO)(2.1Gal)(5ARB)

Heres the video of me doing my best time, any suggestions?

#1729 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

@kherven: I drive the track differently than you, so it's hard to say. Try entering turn 1 later, give it a wide turn in and ease into the throttle a bit; I find that helps me with traction. The S section is really easy to overdrive and it can kill your lap; focus on being smooth and getting a nice run out of the final right-hander.

Not sure if any of that advice will help or not. I'd definitely turn off the driving line; you don't want to be relying on that in the race when other cars are around you. It's helpful to learn a track, but after you know the layout, it probably doesn't do any good. Besides all that, you're still new to iRacing, so don't be discouraged if you're off the leaders' times. You'll be fine; speed will come with experience.

#1730 Edited by Khann (2816 posts) -

@kherven Here's a quick video of the best I managed last season (1:04.071):

My setup would have been something along the lines of:

(BB:61)(21F/21R)(5SPO)(4.xGal)(7-8ARB)

Obviously weather can have a pretty big effect. Also I highly recommend lowering your FOV to at least somewhere around 65 and seeing how you do. And yeah, switch off that line. You'll just end up learning to drive the line rather than learning to drive the track.

#1731 Edited by Mouse (342 posts) -

If I host a session in about 45 minutes, will some of you join?

EDIT: Going to host it NOW. Join up if you're in need of some laps.. or if you're bored.

#1732 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -

IT'S TIME TO RACE

#1733 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -

Well, Thompson's an...interesting track, I suppose. Sure glad I adjusted my track bar right before the race, else I'd have been in deep trouble trying to hang onto the car.

@broncosfan: Sorry for coming off like a jerk with my comment after collecting you. Wasn't meant to make you feel bad, more that I'm utterly terrible at avoiding other cars in general.

#1734 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -

Great racing with @mouse and @slowbird at the start of the race, then @hayfourzee in the back half. Really sorry for that nudge, got completely caught out by all the madness.

#1735 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

@khann: Yep that was awesome. Slightly aggressive restart by me, but it was either that or 2nd, and I was tired of coming up short. :D Still though, sorry for pushing you wide @slowbird. Now that I've got an oval win, I feel better.

I've got to say, besides slightly less attendance than the other series, BOMBCAR is a definite success. It is everything that I hoped it would be; every race has been really fun. Now if season 2 has the SLM, bigger tracks and longer races (to require pit stops), BOMBCAR may become the best series in my eyes. :D

#1736 Posted by maxx77 (222 posts) -

@pseg Sorry about the contact on the final restart. Slowbird and Mouse got into it coming out of turn 2, Slowbird hit the wall (and hopped a good ways off the ground from Khann and I's perspective), Khann then swerved to dodge and I swerved to dodge him. Unfortunately you got whiplashed off the track as a result. I wasn't fighting for a position, it was just an unskillful attempt to avoid what looked like a big wreck in progress.

All the same, that was a crazy shootout. Pretty spectacular finish for such an inconspicuous track. From my view, Slowbird and a couple other cars looked like they were above the ground more than they were on it. I don't know how you guys got across the line without a massive accident. 'Grats on the oval win, Mouse!

#1737 Edited by IroN1c (474 posts) -

Well, my race went...somewhere between poorly and okay. I caused the first caution by braking way too hard into the turn and spun it on the spot, no contact whatsoever, just dropped back to the end of the field. Then I had some contact with @maxx77 after a few laps, just a normal racing incident, I began to slide and then all of a sudden flipped violently and someone said he drove straight through us. So I guess netcode happened, felt really weird. That destroyed my car, had to tow and then was several laps down. That basically ended my race. After changing setups my race pace was way better and I even managed the fastest average lap time, but yeah that tow was the end of my fight to the front. Oh and of course the moment I have a bad race @mouse is there and gets his first oval win. This will be one hell of a chase.

#1738 Edited by broncosfan (22 posts) -

@pseg no probelm, sorry for spinning you out. I just got new pedals (CRS Elite) and having a hard time figuring out the brakes. My setup was really bad too so that didn't help much. I quit after a few laps so i won't be a problem for everyone else. Hope to get better with them before today's race.

#1739 Posted by maxx77 (222 posts) -

I just got new pedals (CRS Elite) and having a hard time figuring out the brakes.

Go into the options and turn the braking Force Factor to 0. That's the correct setting if you're using a load cell brake pedal. I only just recently figured that out after all this time of playing iRacing. You should also turn the dial on the pedal all the way up. Prior to each race, it's a good idea to quickly run through the pedal configuration wizard just to make sure iRacing knows the full range of the pedals.

#1740 Edited by Trace (3553 posts) -

Before tonight's main Formula Duder races, a quick PSA on outstanding applications and issues:

People who aren't in the league yet because something's up

@ikarys: I see you submitted an extended app, but you didn't provide an iRacing user name that appears to be valid, since it's not a real name.

@goosharp01: You also submitted everything correctly, but I can't find your name in iRacing. Could you apply to the league in iRacing, please? I should be able to pick up on who you are then.

Finally, the following people applied to the league in iRacing recently, but I don't have enough information through posts or extended apps to tie them to a GB user name (they might very well be someone noted above):

• Ned C.
  • Craig T.
#1741 Posted by broncosfan (22 posts) -

@maxx77 yep did all that hoping its just a learning curve for right now my G27 pedals are 2 seconds faster then these pedals in the skippy. But i have only used the CRS pedals for a couple of days now so i will give them a few days before i put them back on ebay.

#1742 Edited by maxx77 (222 posts) -

@maxx77 yep did all that hoping its just a learning curve for right now my G27 pedals are 2 seconds faster then these pedals in the skippy. But i have only used the CRS pedals for a couple of days now so i will give them a few days before i put them back on ebay.

What do you mean by 2 seconds faster? You press the brake and there's a 2 second delay before the game recognizes it? It takes 2 seconds longer to come to a complete stop?

On the back of the pedal, where the hydraulic attaches, which notch is it screwed into? If it's on the very bottom one you'll get more travel on the pedal and reduce the amount of force it takes to push the pedal (good for long races if your feet get sore), but the big drawback is that the load cell won't get enough force applied to it. You might end up only getting 80% braking power with the pedal pushed all the way down, even at full sensitivity.

At the second notch (from the bottom), you should get the full 100% brake power and get the actual benefit of having a load cell (harder you push the pedal, the stronger the braking). The drawback is you don't have much travel in the pedal and it takes a lot more force to push, which is something I'm struggling with right now since I recently moved the hydraulic from the bottom notch to this one. I find I don't always push the pedal hard enough and go wide on turns, or I push it way too hard and lock the tires, which happened a few times last night at Thompson.

Anyway, maybe that'll help? That's about the limit of what I understand about this pedal. I got mine right before I got into iRacing, so I'm pretty much accustomed to it. If you've been on the G27 pedals this whole time, you might be better off just sticking to those.

#1743 Posted by Mouse (342 posts) -

Well, big gap to @khann after that. I went from -7 to -26 with that race. FUUUUUUUUUUUU.... Here's points with drops:

DriverPointsGap
Khann108
Mouse82-26
Slowbird80-28
PsEG78-30
HayFourZee67-41
SebW63-45
#1744 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -

@mouse Well, it is definitely nice to have a bit of a buffer for when shit inevitably goes wrong.

Shame about that spin @kartrcr22 , we were very evenly matched speed-wise.

#1745 Posted by Noryia (126 posts) -

Thanks for the races today. I learned a couple of things.

1. I drive the mx-5 much better than the skippy, at least for qualifying.
  2. I should not try and follow PsEG's line through T9.
  3. I should use the #clear macro so as not to take on an extra 1 gallons of fuel and new tires 7 laps into a race.
  4. 64 laps at Summit Point is exhausting.
  5. DFL > DNF

I'm trying to decide if I am going to race with you all at Mount Panorama tomorrow. If not then I'll watch on Twitch.

#1746 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -
@noryia said:

I'm trying to decide if I am going to race with you all at Mount Panorama tomorrow. If not then I'll watch on Twitch.

Do it.

#1747 Posted by Noryia (126 posts) -

@khann: Just picked up the track. Driven it quite a few times in GT5/6. We'll see how some testing goes in the morning.

#1748 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (950 posts) -

FYI, I'm going to have another hosted practice session 2 hours before tomorrow's GBGT race, starting at 5 PM EDT (2 PM PDT).

#1749 Posted by IroN1c (474 posts) -

I really don't know if I can make today's race, early F1 and daylight savings is fucking me over.

#1750 Posted by Khann (2816 posts) -

@iron1c said:

I really don't know if I can make today's race, early F1 and daylight savings is fucking me over.

Go and get some sleep.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.