Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

iRacing

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Aug 26, 2008

iRacing.com is an online simulation racing game for the PC featuring numerous licensed cars and tracks.

The Giant Bomb Racing League

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@iron1c said:

Any specifics on tomorrow's race yet? (length, etc.)

Looks like the OP has been updated with details.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

The race is indeed locked in on iRacing's system! 1-3 PM tomorrow (a little over 25 hours away), with 40 minutes practice, 25 minutes qualifying, and 30 laps of Lime Rock in multi-class intensity. I sincerely hope there will be lots of traffic.

Your choices are the Skip Barber Formula 2000, the Pontiac Solstice (rookie edition), and the Spec Racer Ford. Remember: CHOOSE WISELY. You're likely stuck with whatever you choose.

As a note, I'll be updating the second post in this thread with the latest races whenever I can. This will also likely be the final single race test from me, as after a PAX Prime break (in which I may discuss potential races and times with Drew), we'll pick up somewhere between 1-3 races a week from here on out. The details and times of those races are still in the air, and may change slightly from week to week.

There will also very likely be a championship series with an emphasis on figure-8 and super-short oval racing. You've been warned.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg said:

There will also very likely be a championship series with an emphasis on figure-8 and super-short oval racing. You've been warned.

No Caption Provided

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Unfortunately one of the few real-life friends I do have talked me into playing softball tomorrow at 12:30, so I won't be able to make it. (Stupid real life getting in the way of my virtual entertainment!) Someday I'll move far away so that nobody I know will be able to bother me when I want to be alone. (so very alone)

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By MikBe

Been looking for a friendly league. Filling out application now...

Oh, I should say I have all the tracks and all the cars. iRacing is currently my only hobby as I have two jobs. It being my only hobby I've got a decent setup:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikbe said:

Been looking for a friendly league. Filling out application now...

Oh, I should say I have all the tracks and all the cars. iRacing is currently my only hobby as I have two jobs. It being my only hobby I've got a decent setup:

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that is a hell of a setup. Nice bike too.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikbe: Just a heads-up: I'm pretty sure I've accepted your iRacing application to join the league, but I don't have anything from you in the extended application responses (it didn't take if you tried submitting one earlier). If you could submit an extended app next chance you get, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pseg said:

There will also very likely be a championship series with an emphasis on figure-8 and super-short oval racing.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mikbe: I have to ask, now the helmet thats sitting in the seat ......

Do you wear it while in the plane? :D

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do laps instead time-limit work in Multi-Class races? Does every class have to finish 30 laps or just the first to do so?

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark said:

@mikbe: I have to ask, now the helmet thats sitting in the seat ......

Do you wear it while in the plane? :D

Oh, yeah. I wear it just walking down the street. My neighbors think I'm "special."

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By MikBe

@pseg: OK, I entered it again. I may have been logged in to my mikebethany.com account last time.

Oh, and are you allowing all the car types on the track at once or is there a separate race for each type?

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All car classes at once in this case. I imagine it may be extremely chaotic, and I may or may not take a sick pleasure from that. (Oh, and I received the extended app submission this time -- thanks!)

@iron1c said:

How do laps instead time-limit work in Multi-Class races? Does every class have to finish 30 laps or just the first to do so?

If it's like anything else in iRacing, once the overall leader takes the checkered flag after 30 laps, next time by start/finish ends the race for everyone else regardless of how far back they are.

This might actually make the race way shorter than I intended, but it's a learning process. We'll get this hammered out before a championship starts up.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg said:

If it's like anything else in iRacing, once the overall leader takes the checkered flag after 30 laps, next time by start/finish ends the race for everyone else regardless of how far back they are.

This might actually make the race way shorter than I intended, but it's a learning process. We'll get this hammered out before a championship starts up.

Yeah, that's what I thought!

That's the reason why real life multi-class races are always held under a time limit but I thought with you choosing laps iRacing might handle it differently. Guess we'll find out!

Also I assume most of the guys who are active in this thread will choose the Skippy?

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By MikBe

Most of you guy and gals probably already know about this but for the ones that don't, here's Skip Barber's "Going Faster" video on the YouTubes:

Loading Video...

There's a section at about 38:00 where one of the instructors does Lime Rock and shows how to get faster in a methodical, repeatable way. I'm still horrible but I'm learning.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm going with the Skippy although I'm still very inexperienced with it, so watch out!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's incredibly easy to dip a rear wheel in the grass on exit of most of the corners at Lime Rock, and in the Skippy, that more often than not means disaster. Combine that with a multi-class race, and I have a feeling this will be beautiful, beautiful mayhem.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got tied up in some familiy business, not gonna make it to the start of practice/qualifying but hopefully still in time for the race.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm racing the Spec Ford (for the first time, besides a little aracitce last night). This should be interesting

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest race can be found under league sessions. Go there by 2:05 PM EDT if you want to participate! (That's an hour away)

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good race today. Mostly good anyway. I was uniformly bad. Turn 1 at the start of the race was a disaster in the back of the pack. I know I was part of the problem. Someone said that the pace lap doesn't affect our tire temps. Does anyone know if that's actually true? If it is, I'd rather do standing starts I think. Pace laps are fun on ovals, but trying to stay in position and not rear-end someone while trailing the Mustang on a road course is a bit hectic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely a fan of standing starts on road courses, though rolling is definitely better for ovals (can you even do standing starts on ovals?).

Good race for me overall. Managed to stay fairly consistent all race. Had a spin on lap 23, but it happened in such a way that I only lost 3-4 seconds. Nearly had quite a few spins in turn 2; so easy to lose the rear under braking there. Had a close call with TheDew (I think?) coming out of turn one (nobody at fault there), but ended up not being so bad.

What happened to you MikBe? You were in 2nd the whole race but you seemed to drop back to 3rd right near the end.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By maxx77

I think he got into it with another car on turn 2. I missed the accident but I drove past him as he was merging back onto the road (he of course caught up and passed me a lap later). I don't know quite what happened since I forgot to save my replay >_<. First time I've done a race and didn't save it.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maxx77: There's a great feature that asks you if you want to save the replay on exit. Turn it on!

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sucks I missed this race, sounds like it was fun. Looking forward to Dr. PsEG's video recap. I think my issue was that I overclocked my CPU too much and some of the values iRacing returned when it crunched physics or location information freaked out. :(

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By MikBe

@khann said:

I'm definitely a fan of standing starts on road courses, though rolling is definitely better for ovals (can you even do standing starts on ovals?).

Good race for me overall. Managed to stay fairly consistent all race. Had a spin on lap 23, but it happened in such a way that I only lost 3-4 seconds. Nearly had quite a few spins in turn 2; so easy to lose the rear under braking there. Had a close call with TheDew (I think?) coming out of turn one (nobody at fault there), but ended up not being so bad.

What happened to you MikBe? You were in 2nd the whole race but you seemed to drop back to 3rd right near the end.

I totally lost focus. Nobodies fault but my own. I started thinking about work and too late remembered I was still racing. I was doing so good being consistent too but spaced out, went offline, and caught some grass; that's all she wrote. Doh!

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By trace
    @khann said:

Looking into it, most ovals do not have the option for standing starts. The figure eight circuit does, though. I'll try to mix it up more for future races, though I can guarantee you will have rolling starts from time to time, as I remain a huge fan of them.

A few valuable lessons were learned today. Multi-class has its limits, and I'll try to keep the "free" option to one car in competitive racing, rather than the Solstice/Spec Racer mix that today's race had. Might drop back to the MX-5 as that free option for a mostly-free track series, and allow the Skip Barber as an additional since it's quite fun, competitive, and easy to tune. We'll see, though -- looks like the Solstice did all right, but I'd need SamuraiGarrin's opinion to be certain.

I'll drop back and evaluate our time slot options and potential series. Keep an eye on this thread, because I think I'm going to push out another survey on what people would like to race most, which will be used to determine how many races we run each week, and when we run what. I think Saturday night between 7-11 PM EDT is our most ideal timeslot, with additional prime times on Friday night and Sunday afternoon. I have a couple of crazy ideas.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pseg: Hey, I know this thread is for iRacing tourneys and the like, but I just had a thought. If RaceNight is still a thing, do you suppose we could have at least a one-off of GTAV's racing mode in GTAOnline? I think it could be super fun, despite being as arcadey as it is. What do you think?

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@mikbe: I just subscribed to your YouTube channel. You're really easy to listen to and I've been looking at videos on Unity. I'm really digging your "learn along" so far. Very cool.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greggd: Forza Race Night's still a thing, running every Thursday at 10:30 PM Eastern. As for a GTA IV night, I don't have enough time to devote to hosting or running anything of that sort between the iRacing and Forza stuff, unfortunately.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By trace

Also, that form I mentioned earlier? The one where I would pitch a bunch of series ideas and ask you to rate them for what we'd do next? That's here. Feel free to fill it out if you'd like.

These ideas may not see the light of day exactly as described, but I'm going to use this to judge where to focus the first set of championships. Please be brutally honest.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just submitted the form, some cool ideas! Just hope that the timeslot for these races will be like the race today or at maximum three hours later. Otherwise it'll be already monday around here :/

Would really love to see the Supercup, but after last weeks and todays race I'm warming up with the Skippys as well.

MikBe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just filled out the questionnaire. I'm really torn. As much as I hate the CT-V and love the Skippy, I think I'd like to race things I'm not good at to get better at racing in general. But I do like winning.

I'd love me some Figure-8 as a stress relief but racing against really good drivers like Khann and IroN1c in a class I love makes me make the happy face.

I feel strongly that the best way to understand something, and to get better at it, is to try to try to teach it, a la Richard Feinman. I would love to see that kind of camaraderie, that kind of joy information sharing with your fellows, while also getting better and challenging myself. A challenge where the respect of my peers is the reward; not a flawed, but useful, safety rating that punishes the victim equally with the perpetrator.

Wow, I think I might have been running for office there... I just really want to have fun. The way I have fun is by winning. The way I win is by getting better. The way I get better is by learning. The way I learn is by studying others, learning from them, and then trying to explain what I learned to others.

Either way, I'm game.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By maxx77

I couldn't wait, I just bought Irwindale.

SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pseg said:

Also, that form I mentioned earlier? The one where I would pitch a bunch of series ideas and ask you to rate them for what we'd do next? That's here. Feel free to fill it out if you'd like.

These ideas may not see the light of day exactly as described, but I'm going to use this to judge where to focus the first set of championships. Please be brutally honest.

Hey guys. I don't want to taint the jury pool here or anything, but allow me to offer this suggestion:

Seriously can't wait for these races. Though, with how strict the damage is in iRacing, I have a feeling the figure 8 race is going to be less than fun :( Also:

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo I voted in your poll and seriously all the options are awesome. The driving school one isn't really for me because I already got the hang of those cars, but I might still race in it. But seriously whatever ones you do, I'm cool with. Also, @skullcrushermountain just to add to the figure-8 thing...it's totally fun, I've done a bunch, and I'm pretty sure hosted races allow you to have unlimited quick repairs, which means you just have to crab your way back to the pits and you're back in the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like all the choices :(

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By trace

Just as a heads-up, since it sounds like there should be more responses than I'm seeing, here's the responses I have thus far:

No Caption Provided

I've added a "view previous responses" link to the form completion page so you can check to see if your response has gone through. Kind of disappointed in the reliability of Google's form stuff, if I'm being honest.

maxx77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I filled it out again. Looks like it saved this time since it shows me on the results page.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, not sure why mine didn't go through before.

Also, has anyone else noticed the reply count in this thread? I swear the count goes up 5 every time someone makes a post.

edit: It went up 3 after I posted this.

Dew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Dew

Sent in my votes. Looks like it's gonna be lots of Skippy's and/or lots of short oval/figure 8 chaos

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, now my form went through. Let's get it on!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.